A Day of Tennis

A Father's Love

“So this Kim, Jaejoong is the reason I haven’t seen nor heard from my son in the past two weeks?” Halmeoni inquired while tapping her index finger on her cheek. YunHo nodded. “Should I be taking this as a good thing or a bad thing?” Her gaze rested on her son as he arranged kimchi, cold greens, mixed vegetables, pan-fried dishes, fruit and fruit punch neatly on the dinner table.

Harabeoji laughed zealously. “Take it as a good this! A very good thing!” He placed his hands on YunHo’s shoulders and gave a gentle squeeze. “Our son has found someone!” His laughter simmered into a chuckle. “Is it possible for us to meet him?”

YunHo shrugged and leaned stood upright after placing the last dish on the table. “Of course, I’m sure he’d loved to meet you as well.” He then smiled. “I’m meeting him today, you’re welcome to join us after we have lunch.”

Harabeoji shook his head. “It’s quite alright, I’m sure you two would want your alone time.” Harabeoji winked as YunHo crease up his face into an uncomfortable expression for he knew what his father was implying and just to know what his father was suggesting made it even more uncomfortable.

Halmeoni playfully slapped her husband’s forearm. “Now Jagi Nampyeon, they won’t be alone, they’ll have Min with them…unless you want us to take him.”

YunHo shook his head. “No it’s fine; besides, his son will be joining us as will YooChun, JunSu and two of his friends.”

“He even has a son? My YunHo, you have gotten quite a catch.” Harabeoji laughed again. “By the way, how is YooChun? I heard yesterday he went to visit his Appa.”

YunHo nodded. “Indeed he did, he even visited this morning.”

“Well that’s wonderful.” Halmeoni clapped. “I hope the two spend more time together before his father departs from this world.”

“So do we all.” Harabeoji added.

“Appa, can we take TaePung with us?” MinHyun questioned as he held up a small fluffy eight week old, black and white, icy blue eyed Siberian husky his grandparents had just brought him. “I want JaeYoung and JaeJoong Omma to play with him…please, can we take him?”

YunHo knelt down and gently rubbed the puppy’s head before looking at his son. “Sure, but take extra good care with him.” YunHo advised. “Now, go wash up for lunch.”

MinHyun smiled as his eyes lit up with exhilaration. “Okay Appa!” He hoisted the puppy in the air and turned him so it was facing him. “Come on TaePung! You get to meet the greatest people in the world!”

Halmeoni and Harabeoji chuckled in enjoyment as they watched their grandson waddle out of the kitchen. Harabeoji shook his head. “You spoil him too much.”

“Says the ones who bought him a puppy, give him every toy he asks for and showers him with love he already gets enough of.” YunHo playfully glared at his parents. “But honestly, I love spoiling him.”

Halmeoni nodded. “It’s great when they are kids, but when they become teenagers…that is a different story.”

“Come on Omma, I wasn’t that bad.” YunHo defended, but it only made his parents snort in return. “I was not!” He pouted, showing his parents his childish persona. He was not that spoiled and they knew it.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“How many times do I have to say I’m sorry?” ChangMin questioned as he knelt before a livid JaeJoong and an amused KiBum. “I truly am sorry! I didn’t mean for JaeYoung to get hurt.” The three were at the hospital after JaeYoung had sprained his wrist due to jumping off the swing.

“Well he did!” JaeJoong huffed. “You said you would watch him while we went to the restroom! So explain to me how my son managed to sprain his wrist in that ten minute time limit.”

Changmin stood from his kneeling position and folded his arms. “It’s not my fault your son is accident prone!” ChangMin defended, he looked to JaeYoung whom sat happily in KiBum’s lap, playing with the bandages around his wrist and forearm. “And he’s not even worried about it, so why are you?”

“Because I’m his Appa! I worry!” JaeJoong retorted.

“You may be, but you act like his Omma!” ChangMin argued back with a smug grin. Silence surrounded the bickering males as they tried to calm themselves and draw the attention they had created away from them.

“Well, I’m fully amused." KiBum chuckled and stood from his chair, hoisting JaeYoung up on his hip. "Now that you two are done arguing, let’s go play tennis.” He directed a cocky grin at JaeJoong. “I still have a tie I need to break.”

JaeJoong smirked back, he kicked in tennis; however, KiBum did as well and besides, a good game was much needed to calm his rattled nerves. “You’re on.”
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I want to play!” JunSu exclaimed in elation. “Can we play doubles?” JaeJoong and KiBum shrugged and handed the vivacious male a spare tennis racket.

“Have you ever played?” KiBum asked, his tone insinuated uneasiness as he watched JunSu twirl the racket.

“Back in middle school, but that was…eight years ago?” JunSu thought for a moment. “Sounds about right, anyway! Let’s play.” He brushed past the two and headed towards the court, taking his position. “I’m with KiBum!”

JaeJoong chuckled at the agitated groan KiBum made, he then looked to YunHo whom sat on the sideline smiling and playing with the new puppy as JaeYoung told him and MinHyun how he got his bandages. “Are you gonna play YunHo?” He called out, waving his racket.

Yunho looked up and shook his head. “I can’t play, don’t know how and I refuse to have you lose because of me.” YunHo could see disappointment flash across JaeJoong’s face before comprehension followed.

“If it’s alright with you, I’ll play.” YooChun jogged up to JaeJoong a dimpled grin on his face. “I need to get active.”

JaeJoong smiled and tossed YooChun another spare tennis racket. “It’s alright with me.” He turned his gaze to where ChangMin stood. “Alright Shim, you’re referee.”

The four males were ecstatic, both teams ready to outdo the other in the current tied game. ChangMin tossed the yellow-green ball to JaeJoong. “JaeJoong, it’s your serve.”

“Can I serve?” YooChun asked with a cocky grin on his face. Something about that grin that made JaeJoong feel as if they might actually win this. Without waiting for JaeJoong to respond, he took the ball and bounced it three times before throwing it up into the air and hitting it with his racket, sending it flying over the net, pass KiBum and JunSu and landing just two inches before the far line. “After thirteen years, I still got it.” YooChun chuckled at the awe expression on everyone’s face.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Four hours and it still ended in a tie.” KiBum sighed heavily as he rotated his tired shoulder. “I guess we have to call a truce.”

JaeJoong chuckled. “I guess so.” He gently rubbed his tired son’s back as he nuzzled closer to YunHo who too held MinHyun’s sleeping form in his arms. “I’m surprised, TaePung managed to tire out even the most energetic children.”

“Not without a price.” Yunho replied glancing at the panting Siberian pup in JunSu’s arms.

JaeYoung lifted his head off his father’s shoulder. “Appa, I want a puppy.” He rubbed his hands over his eyes desperately trying to rid himself of the sleep that threatened to subdue him. “I promise to love it.” He pleaded.

JaeJoong smiled and kissed the crown of his son’s head. “I’ll think about it.” JaeYoung gave a tired nod. “Speaking of puppies, when did you get one?” He asked, looking up at YunHo.

“This morning, my parents brought him.” JaeJoong mumbled an “Oh” and everything went quiet. “My parents want to meet you.” YunHo continued on after a split second of silence.

JaeJoong gasped in surprise before a smirked creased his lips. “Aw, after three weeks you already want me to meet your parents, so I’m guessing next week we’ll be getting married?” JaeJoong teased as he brushed his shoulder against the other’s.

“Of course, I already made reservations at Eden Beach resort in Bora Bora for our honeymoon.” JaeJoong stuck out his tongue as a response causing YunHo to chuckle. “So, are you up to facing my parents?”

“Yep, if I can handel you, I can at least abide your parents.”

YunHo smiled. “We'll see about that.” He lifted JaeJoong’s chin and gave him a passionate kiss, unaware that their friends whom were three steps ahead watched them with smiles, proud that both males had finally found someone they could share happiness with and become a family...even if the two had not realized that yet...but they would soon enough... ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________