Dinner With the Parents

A Father's Love

Three days had passed since Seul Gi showed up and threatened to take MinHyun, but even after those three days, YunHo was still worried.

“She can’t take MinHyun from me can she? I mean if she voluntarily gave up her rights, she can’t take him…right?” YunHo questioned to himself aloud; however, JaeJoong answered.

“Legally no, it’s considered kidnapping even if the person is the child’s birth parent.” He turned YunHo’s face towards his and traced his lips. “Seul Gi won’t take MinHyun, there are countless of people that won’t allow that…including me.”

YunHo smiled and pulled JaJoong into a tight embrace. “Thanks Jae, you’re truly an Angel.” He kissed the male’s forehead. “And because of that, I know my parents will like you…just as much as I do.”

JaeJoong smiled as he inhaled the aromatic spice and fresh citrus cologne YunHo wore while listening to YunHo’s heart pulsate in accord with his own, never had he felt so secure…or even…much love.

“YunHo! My son!” The two parted to see YunHo’s father standing in the doorway with a cheerful smile. “Welcome! Welcome!” He gave YunHo a brief hug before turning his attention to JaeJoong. “So this is Kim, JaeJoong?” The said male bowed courteously. “Are you sure you are worthy of him YunHo? He is quite stunning for you.” The compliment caused JaeJoong to blush.

“I ask myself that very same question.” YunHo smiled and Harabeoji took note on the amorous look his son gave the other. “Where’s Omma?”

“She’s in the kitchen finishing up din…”

“Harabeoji!” MinHyun exclaimed in zealousness. “Hi Harabeoji!”

Harabeoji knelt down to his grandson and tousled his hair. “MinHyun my grandson, how are you?”

“Good! Harabeoji this is JaeYoung, my bestest friend and JaeJoong Omma’s son.” MinHyun pointed to the said child, whom nodded with a lengthy smile.

“Well hello there JaeYoung.” Harabeoji smiled. “You know…” He leaned towards the child. “You are very handsome…just like your Appa.” He looked up at JaeJoong and winked before standing. “Alright, let’s head in, I believe dinner is almost ready.” Harabeoji stood and ushered everyone in. “We’re having Thai, I hope that’s alright.”

Before JaeJoong entered the house, YunHo pulled him back. “I told you my parents would like you.”

“Yeah…but that’s just your Appa.” Nervousness was evident in JaeJoong’s voice.

YunHo chucked as he took JaeJoong’s hand and squeezed gently. “Trust me, my Omma is no different.”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

“AeIn, they are here!” Harabeoji called out to his wife.

Halmoeni walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. “YunHo!” She pulled her son into a tight motherly hug.

“Hi Omma.”YunHo contently accepted his mother’s hug, allowing it to linger longer than usual. “Omma, this is JaeJoong.” He nudged his head in the direction of the said male.

Halmeoni looked at JaeJoong and gasped in mezmeration. “My! You are beautiful!” She cupped his face and studided every inch of it, lingering on his eyes. “So very beautiful.” She then looked to her son with a smile. “He is a keeper Yun, made just for you.” The comment made the two blush, how were their feeling obvious to other’s but not each other?

“Halmeoni meet JaeYoung.!” MinHyun tugged the youngest boy to his grandmother. “This is JaeYoung!”

“Oh my! You look so much like your Appa!” She smiled and cupped his face. “You are so cute!” She hoisted him up and ushered JaeJoong into a hug. “Welcome to the Jung family.” JaeJoong smiled and graciously accepted.

Harabeoji clapped. “Alright, alright, let’s eat! I know we are all starving.”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

After three hours, the remainder of freshly-steamed Jasmine rice, luscious spicy shrimp soup and creamy chicken green curry, spicy papaya salad garnished with crisp vegetables, Pad Thai and sweet aromatic sticky rice topped with mangos lined the dinner table alongside a bottle of red wine. “Dinner was delicious…” JaeJoong trailed off unsure what name Halmeoni preferred.

She and Appa smiled. “Please call us Omma and Appa, after all you are family.”

JaeJoong nodded with a smile that seemed to come every second they elderly couple said something to him. “Dinner was delicious…Omma, I never had Thai food so authentic…and that includes my own.”

She chuckled. “Well, would you like to hear my secret?”

“No, secrets are sacred and are never meant to be shared.” The group chuckled at the old proverb.

“It’s really not a secret at all, it’s just fresh herbs and spices.” JaeJoong only nodded at the fact it was just simple ingredients that were fresh.

Harabeoji stared at his watch and whisteled. “It’s getting late, you two should head home.” He nudged his head in the direction of the living room area. “The kids are probably asleep.”

“Yeah, and I have to get to work early.” YunHo sighed.

“Let me get the dishes washed and then I’ll walk you out.” She stood from the table and began picking up dishes.

JaeJoong stood from the table. “I’m gonna help Omma.” He hurried off to the kitchen carrying his plate with him.

“He’s an attraction Yun, you can sure pick them.” YunHo nodded, “You make sure to take good care of him.”

“You act like we’re going to get married.” YunHo muttered sarcastically.

Harabeoji shrugged and sipped on his glass of red wine, YunHo frown, not knowing what to think of his father’s meaning to his actions. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“It was nice meeting you JaeJoong, I hope to see you again.” Halmeoni replied pulling away from the hug she had him in before cupping his face. “Your eyes show your hidden feelings, just likeYunHo’s do.” She kissed his cheek. “Take care of my son and grandson.” She pulled back and winked.

Harabeoji passed a sleeping JaeYoung to JaeJoong, whom was confused by Halmeoni’s words. “You two drive carefully and YunHo make sure to call me when you reach home.”

“Alright Appa.” YunHo gently shifted MinHyun from his left hip to his right. “See you later, love you both.”

JaeJoong bowed. “Bye.” Halmeoni and Harabeoji bid them farewell.

After the two placed the sleeping children in the car, the two men entered themselves. “So, you like my parents I take it.” YunHo smiled as he started the car.

JaeJoong smiled in return. “Love them, they remind me of my own parents.”

“Oh yeah? How so?” He was just curious, never once had JaeJoong mentioned his parents so this was the best opportunity to bring them up…or at least he hope it was. “How are your parents if you don’t mind me asking?”

“They were very content, accepting and appreciating.” ‘Were’ meant they were deceased. YunHo watched as JaeJoong eyes began to glaze over and he knew he had entered memories of his parents. “But they are in a better place.” He replied after snapping out of his daze.

YunHo stared at JaeJoong for a moment before resting his hand on his thigh, and giving it a gentle squeeze as they began driving out of his parents’ driveway and back to YunHo’s place.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________