A Star Is Born

Love Me or Hate Me

The crowd cheered as Yong Guk finished his performance. He went backstage and took a deep breath. He reached inside his pocket, and held the picture in his hand. "Wait for me. I'll make sure I will be in the sky shining with you." He kissed the picture and put it back into his pocket. He looked at the crowd again and grinned. From their cheers, Yong Guk knew he was one step closer to fame.

>oOo<

FLASHBACK

Yong Guk looked at her with sadness in his eyes. He reached for her hand, but she stepped back. Her face showed no sign of regret or sadness. 

"Hyori . . . did I do something wrong? I thought -"

"Thought I was in love with you? " She scoffed before looking straight into his eyes with no remorse. " What makes you think I could love someone who can't offer me anything? The type of lifestyle I would get if I stayed with you is the type of life I'm trying to avoid. A life of poverty." Yong Guk held her hands and kissed both of them before looking straight back at her. He searched her face, trying to find any signs of affection or regret. But, there was nothing.

"I thought none of that mattered to you. We're in love and that's all that matters, right? I can find a new job, move into the city with you-" Hyori slid her hands out of his and pushed him away before sighing.

"I realize that you're not going to make this easy. I don't love you. I don't want to be with you. I need a man who can support me and take care of me-" Yong Guk placed his hands over her shoulders and his face was only inches away from hers.

"I can do all of that! I can prove that to you if you just be patient." Hyori was getting frustrated and pushed him away again.

"Yah! How many times do I have to tell you?! I don't want to be with you! I can't be patient! You knew from the beginning this would never work out. You're a poor countryside guy while I'm a famous singer. How would we ever work out? You can't provide me with the things I need. . . the things I want." Yong Guk finally realized there was no way he could make her stay. She was right. He couldn't provide her a house, clothes, let alone an engagement ring. 

"Are you finally getting the picture? We're over." Hyori turned around and was about to walk away, but Yong Guk suddenly grabbed her wrist and spun her around. Her cheeks reddened from his sudden action.

"Yah! What do you think you're doing?!" Yonk Guk leaned in and kissed her. She tried to push him back, but she decided to stay still and let him finish. He released her from her grasp and stared at her face, which was emotionless. He sighed and backed off.

"Satisfied?" Hyori crossed her arms and gave him a disgusted look. Yong Guk just smiled and nodded.

"I may not be able to provide you with the things you want now, so I have no choice to let you go. But, just you wait, Hyori. The next time I see you, I'll be famous just like you." Hyori formed an 'O' with before scoffing.

"Fine. I'll reconsider going back to you if you can reach my level. But, I highly doubt you will. Even if you reach a celebrity status, I won't accept you unless you're as popular as me." Hyori walked away, leaving Yong Guk alone. She didn't realize that at that moment, a star was to be born.

 

>oOo<

 

2 years later. . .

Yong Guk barely made it out of the airport alive. The many fans that were there to greet him made it difficult to reach the exit. But, Yong Guk gave them a friendly good-bye before stepping into the car. As he drove off, he noticed the few changes. But, it was still the same Seoul. He smiled and the car radio, missing the sound of Korean broadcasters. *Finally. Back in Korea* At the stop light, Yong Guk raised a fist in the air, and screamed with joy, causing the other drivers to look at him. He didn't mind and just turned up the volume when his song started playing.

He made it to the hotel he was staying at for a few days and headed straight to his room to unpack. Yong Guk quickly left right after to get some coffee at the cafe  nearby. He loved the coffee there and he practically drank it everyday when he was in Korea. When he stepped inside the people began to stare and crowd around him. The employees began to get curious and their faces quickly lit up.

"RED!!!" The employees pushed their way into the crowd and gave Yong Guk a big bear hug. The workers told everyone the shop was closed for the day, before giving all their attention back to Yong Guk. The boss stepped out and stood in front of him before giving him a brief hug. He placed his firm hands onto Yong Guk's shoulders and sighed.

"You've done well Red." Yong Guk smiled. The boss released his firm hold, letting the employees hug their old friend. Everyone's faces were filled with smiles. They all gave Yong Guk a firm pat on the back.

"Ow.You guys sure have gotten stronger. The last time I was here, you're handshakes were as firm as a little girl's." Yong Guk reached out his hand, receiving cold stares from his friends. "Himchan, YoungJae, Daehyun, Zelo . . . come on." Yong Guk's hand was still in the air. "Yah! Hurry up and shake my hand before it falls off!" The guys all grinned and one by one proved their strength. They all laughed and sat down, waiting to hear Yong Guk's story.

 

>oOo<

 

The boss made his famous coffee, while the boys talked about the past 2 years.

"You're a big shot now, Red. Remember when you used to work here with us?" YoungJae smirked.

"How could I forget? Boss, over there, worked me like a dog." They all laughed causing the boss to give a low growl. They quickly became quiet, trying to avoid eye contact with him.

"So, what now? You're internationally famous now." Zelo said with a robotic tone, earning him a slap in the back of his head.

"Speak to your hyung with more respect." Daehyun motioned Yong Guk to answer the question.

"Um. Of course, I'm going to win her back. She's the reason I became a star in the first place. She's my inspiration." The boys rolled their eyes in disbelief.

"After all you've been through, you're only goal is to win her back? I thought you would've gotten over her by now. She's not worth it. You can get any girl you want-"

"And I want her." Himchan sighed and got up to help the boss bring the cups of coffee.

"This is it you guys. I can finally get her back. I'm finally worthy of her." Zelo abruptly stood up causing the others to glare at him.

"Zelo, sit back down."

"No Hyung! I just can't sit here and listen to this bull crap! Red hyung needs to hear what I got to say!" Zelo pointed at Yong Guk while the others waited to hear what he was about to say. Yong Guk calmly drank his coffee with a grin on his face, ignoring the tension in the air. He finally realized the serious atmosphere and put his cup down.

"Hyung! That girl is obviously a ! All she cared about was money and that's why she left you. If she agrees to be with you then it's obvious she's only after your money. I won't be able to stand the sight of that gold digger with you, hyung! You deserve someone better!" Right when Yong Guk was about to say something, the door opened. Everyone looked at the girl standing there, with a folder in her hand. The atmosphere lightened and they all smiled.

"Sorry, miss. The shop is closed today." Everyone stared at her with astonishment, especially Yong Guk.They couldn't believe their eyes.Himchan opened the door again, waiting for the girl to step out. But, she did the opposite and walked toward the boss.

"Um, sorry . . . if I interrupted anything. . . um. . . but, I really needed to be here today. I'm here to apply for the job position." Her face flushed, noticing everyone's stares.

"Why would you need a job, Hyori?" Yong Guk stood in front of her, inches away. The girl's face became a bright red and she looked at him with a confused expression.

"I-I-I'm sorry. I'm not Hyori. Everyone confuses me with her because we look alike, so I understand why you might think-"

"Y-you're not Hyori?" Daehyun's mouth was an 'O' shape. They were amazed at how similar she looked to Hyori.

"Y-yes. I'm Young Mi."