Tears

HERSHE - MINKKURA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was the night of the party.
 
Chaeyeon, who looked exquisitely beautiful and charming in her suit, drove Minju and Hyewon to the grand ball. Minju wore a simple black off-shoulder dress while Hyewon wore something extravagant, a full-skirted red cocktail gown curving the shape of her body.
 
Chani brought his boyfriend along while Kaeun and Jaehwan, who are almost done with their internship, came in together too.
 
Sakura and Eunbi came in together too. Although limping a bit, Sakura can walk now without a crutch.
 
Eunbi is wearing an elegant green dress while Sakura wears simple smart casual attire: black slacks, v-neck shirt inside, and a gray wool coat. They went first to greet Minju's team, where a little punching battle happened between Sakura and Chaeyeon, then they went straight to sit at the graphics team table.
 
Minju watched Sakura and Eunbi as they walk away from them, determined to do one thing tonight.
 
---
 
Minju's mood is ruined because of this certain couple from the other table.
 
She's trying to stay calm by pretending to be happy, talking to her team. But she can't stop herself from looking at the Graphics Team's table and see 'them' happy and sort of sweet.
 
The feeling Minju thought would go away lingered instead, and it went worse as the night passes by. It's like a poison that slowly builds up in her chest, gradually getting heavier, making her feel like she just wants to explode.
 
"Hey. You sure you're all right?" Hyewon asked her for the third time that night.
 
"Yeah. I'm just not feeling quite well, maybe getting a fever or something," said Minju.
 
Hyewon checked Minju's forehead with a hand. "Do you want to go home now? I could ask Chaeyeon to drive you."
 
"No. I'm fine. Let's just enjoy tonight."
 
Out of the blue, a burst of loud laughter from the Graphics Team caught some attention. Minju couldn't control herself from looking again, only to see Eunbi laughing with the entire team, one hand on Sakura's thigh.
 
Minju quickly averted her gaze and sighed.
 
"Are they together yet?" asked Hyewon, looking at the same table.
 
"I don't know." Minju shrugged. She sliced the chocolate cake on her plate and took a bite. "Maybe Chaeyeon knows something?"
 
"Uh. No." Chaeyeon made an 'x' sign with her arms. "Sakura isn't the type of friend who shares things like this."
 
"But I thought you were the best buddies?" asked Hyewon.
 
"Yes, we are. But Sakura isn't a fan of confiding about girls unless she's having a problem. Unless there's no issue yet, I don't think she will share details about her thing with that Eunbi."
 
Minju bit the inside of her cheek, thinking if Chaeyeon already knows what happened between her and Sakura.
 
"I could ask her straight if you two are curious," said Chaeyeon.
 
"Let's just assume that they are together," said Minju, not wanting to hear more about them. "Even if they aren't official yet, it's obvious now that's where they'll head, right?"
 
"Maybe," said Hyewon, glancing one more time at the other table. "But I thought Sakura is in love with another girl?"
 
Minju and Chaeyeon looked at each other quickly.
 
"Uh. That. I don't know what happened to them." Chaeyeon scratched her head. "The last time we talked about that girl was before the Sakura's accident."
 
"Have you met her?" Hyewon followed up.
 
"Uh--"
 
"All right ladies and gents!" said the host on the stage. "The ball is now open for anyone who would like to dance. The real party has started!"
 
People screamed in excitement. The dance floor is now swarmed with people. Men in suits took their coats off and folded their sleeves up. Some women in dresses didn't mind dancing without their heels. Others were prepared enough to bring extra attire.
 
"Your highness, would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the dance floor?" asked Chaeyeon, offering a hand to Hyewon.
 
"It'll be my pleasure." Hyewon took Chaeyeon's hand. She got up and turned to Minju before leaving. "We'll be right back."
 
Minju is glad not all of her team members were in the mood to dance, giving her some company while waiting there. She took that opportunity to observe the couple from the other table.
 
"Ugh. How would I be able to talk to her if that Eunbi won't leave her side even for a second?" she muttered to herself.
 
Minju couldn't count how many times she sighed that night. The need to fill her lungs with oxygen arises each time she sees Eunbi and Sakura laughing at each other, smiling like no one else matters.
 
It just made her think: is there still a point talking to Sakura tonight? Would that even help in changing the current situation? What if Sakura is really over her?
 
Isn't it ironic how she loved seeing Sakura's smile and despised it at the same time just because those smiles were meant for another person?
 
If would have been Minju if she had been brave enough.
 
Minju felt her heart jump when she saw Eunbi and Sakura get up from their chairs, Eunbi gesturing a hand to the dance floor. Minju unconsciously placed a hand on her chest, feeling her heartbeat rising.
 
The two walked towards the crowd with Eunbi patiently assisting the limping Sakura.
 
Minju felt a pinch in her heart when Eunbi guided Sakura's arms around her waist.
 
Despite the loud disco music, Eunbi and Sakura started swaying together, slowly yet sweetly.
 
Minju felt shortness in her breathing. The weight on her chest makes her want to burst now. She can literally feel her heart erratically beating at the moment.
 
"Minju?"
 
She didn't notice that Hyewon has already approached her. Her eyes were locked on the dance floor.
 
Eunbi moved closer, hooking her chin on Sakura's shoulder. Sakura whispered something to her ear, making her giggle.
 
Eunbi pulled away and stared at Sakura's face. She held Sakura's cheek with both hands...
 
... and slowly... Eunbi leaned forward to...
 
Minju looked away and stood up from her chair. Her vision is blurry. She aimed for the exit but Hyewon grabbed her by the arm.
 
"Minju, what's wrong?"
 
Minju turned to Hyewon quick, still trying to hold off the rainfall.
 
"I don't know... I don't know..." Minju shook her head. She yanked her hand away and strode towards the exit.
 
---
 
Hyewon tried to call out one more time but her friend didn't turn back. She trailed where Minju was looking at and saw the scene.
 
Right there and then she knew it.
 
Chaeyeon, who saw what happened, held Hyewon by her waist. "I think you should follow her. I'll try to talk to Sakura too."
 
---
 
Because of her blurred vision, Minju doesn't know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter