Breakfast

HERSHE - MINKKURA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura discreetly peeked from the door entrance, couldn't believe Minju is really there.
 
From her view in the hallway, Sakura can see Minju's back. She pulled away her sleeve to look at her wristwatch. It's only 7:07 am. She wonders what time Minju arrived.
 
She peeked through the door again, observing Minju who is browsing something on the internet. She's wearing a black blouse and her hair isn't tied today.
 
Sakura sighed. She thinks she could do that all day without complaint, just looking at Minju's back and observing her like that.
 
Minju moved to her left to check on something. Sakura immediately hid beside the door, afraid that she'll get caught peeking.
 
Sakura checked the time. It's already 7:11 am. She'll be dead if Minju won't see her by 7:15 am.
 
She entered the door slowly, tiptoeing. Although she knows that her sneakers won't make any annoying sound on the carpeted floor, she's still afraid to create anything that could catch Minju's attention. The idea of being alone with Minju today somehow frightens her. She'd love to spend time with Minju but she doesn't know how to start a conversation.
 
"And what do you think you're doing?" Minju's irritated tone echoed.
 
Sakura turned nervously. "Uh... hi..."
 
"Did it not occur to you that I can hear every movement you make? It's just the two of us here."
 
"Uh... yeah... well..."
 
"It's almost 7:15 now, how long are you planning to make me wait?"
 
"Uh... I'm just dropping my things in my station..."
 
"Make it quick."
 
"Yes, ma'am!" Sakura hurried to her department.
 
---
 
The pantry looks more vibrant today because no one is there yet to disturb their little date. They settled on one table and sat facing each other.
 
"Hmm, what did you bring today?" asked Sakura, curiously looking at the lunchbox in front of her.
 
"My mom prepared jajangmyeon and omelet." Minju opened the covers.
 
"Woooow! I'm so famished now!" Sakura clapped.
 
"I'm hungry too. I hope you'll like it."
 
Sakura picked up one omelet with her fork. She raised her eyebrows after a bite. "Mmm, this is good! Your mom sure knows how to cook."
 
"Now, that's what you call a real breakfast."
 
"How about you, do you cook?" asked Sakura as she resumes eating.
 
Minju picked something for herself too. "A bit, but I find it tiring sometimes. Was never a fan of recipe books."
 
"Why?"
 
"I don't know. I just don't enjoy cooking. It's too boring for me."
 
"You don't have plans of cooking for future hubby?"
 
"Well, I might change my mind. I don't know yet. But right now, I really don't want to," said Minju, taking another bite of the food. "I always imagined myself being paired with someone who loves to cook."
 
Sakura abruptly stopped whatever she's doing and stared at Minju.
 
"What?" asked Minju.
 
"I just... I just love the food." Sakura resumes eating. "So, it's the end of the year this weekend. What are your plans?"
 
"Our usual routine is to visit dad's grave in the morning and then stay at my cousin's place for the New Year's Eve celebration."
 
"Oh, really? I didn't know that your dad..." Sakura trailed off.
 
"Yeah, when I was still in the 8th grade."
 
"Oh, I'm sorry."
 
"It's okay. You've also lost one of yours too, right?"
 
"Yeah. Too bad for us..." Sakura pouted.
 
"How about you, any plans? Don't tell me you're all alone again?" asked Minju.
 
Sakura shook her head. "I'm going to Japan. My dad's there right now. We'll be celebrating New Year's Eve together."
 
"That's good to hear. At least you have something to do that day."
 
"Yeah. It's not every day we get to see each other so we make sure that we won't let occasions like this pass by just like that."
 
"And you should see your dad once in a while too. He surely misses you from time to time."
 
"Well, he does, if he doesn't have a girlfriend to distract him," Sakura joshed.
 
"How I wish my mom would entertain a suitor to distract her from work," said Minju.
 
Sakura looked up from the food. "Do you think it's a good idea to set up a blind date for your mom and my dad?"
 
"Do you think your dad will like my mom?"
 
"I'm sure he will. You're pretty, where else could you get your looks from, right?"
 
Minju raised an eyebrow. "You think I'm pretty?"
 
"Oh, c'mon, Minju. Let's be honest here. Yes, I think you're pretty... pretty ugly. Hahaha!"
 
Minju glared at her. "Yah."
 
"Besides, I love your mom's cooking. It's a plus point," Sakura pointed at the food.
 
Minju rested her chin on her hand. "Sakura, if your dad and my mom will end up together, what will become of us?"
 
Sakura bit her chopsticks, thinking. She realized that if her dad and Minju's mom marry each other, then it'll make Minju and her sort of relatives. "It's... it's a bad idea, Minju. Let's forget about it."
 
"Agreed. Bad idea."
 
The two turned their attention to the door when someone came in.
 
"Hello there, Sakura. You're early today, huh?" the woman said when she passed by their table, giving Sakura a quick tap on the shoulder.
 
Sakura's head followed the woman who will get a coffee from the vending machine.
 
"Hi, Mina, 'sup?"
 
The woman pressed something on the vending machine. "I'm okay. What are your plans for the vacation?"
 
"I'm traveling."
 
"Wow, where are you fooling around?"
 
"Somewhere in nearby countries. You?"
 
"Just staying home." The woman grabbed the cup, walked towards them, and touched Sakura on the shoulder again. "Bring me back something special, okay?"
 
Sakura smiled. "Sure." She pointed at her food. "You wanna join us?"
 
"I better not," said the woman, glancing at Minju. "I'll go ahead."
 
After the door latched, Minju spoke, "Mina, huh? How did you get to know her?"
 
"Mmm, should I not know my colleagues?"
 
"How long have you been here again?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter