Newcomer

HERSHE - MINKKURA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Thursday, 7:57 am, when a woman was seen hurrying to get into the elevator before the doors close. Good thing there was a good guy who looked back and held the door for her.

 

She said her thanks to the guy while she carefully fits her small frame in the crowd, making sure that the espresso to-go she's holding is still in one piece.

 

As soon as the doors opened to her desired floor, she went out immediately — almost running — trying to make it to her station before the clock strikes eight o'clock.

 

"On the dot, Minju, huh..."

 

Minju heard a voice from behind. She saw her friend approaching. "Hey, Hyewon, how are you?"

 

"I'm a bit stressed. My partner wasn't here for few days," said Hyewon, rolling her eyes. "I'm surprised, though. I thought you'll be on leave until Friday?"

 

Minju chuckled at her friend's reaction. "It was a three-day vacation. I cannot afford to have a whole week off and attend countless unfinished tasks when I get back. That's suicide," she said while logging into her PC.

 

"Now that you mention it, I have been rendering OTs these last 3 days just to somehow make it up with the clients."

 

"I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you, I promise," said Minju, letting out a guilty sweet smile.

 

"It's okay. It's nearly the end of the year and you haven't taken a single leave yet. You must unwind from time to time, Minju. You're so workaholic," said Hyewon, waving her hand.

 

"Not really. I just don't want to take an off and get a double load of work after. It just doesn't make sense."

 

"Whatever. I'm still glad you took an off. At least."

 

After successfully logging in, Minju composed herself by leaning her on the table with her coffee in her right hand. "So, how are things here?"

 

Hyewon positioned herself to beside Minju. "Well, same old stuff. Nothing new."

 

"I guess we should start doing the articles now. Can you email me all the —"

 

"Oh, ," blurted Hyewon out of the blue, her eyes trailing on something.

 

Getting interrupted, Minju followed her friend's line of sight and saw a shoulder-length grey ash hair woman walking towards the ladies' room. She can't picture out the person's face clearly because she is wearing a cap.

 

“Isn’t she a vision?” asked Hyewon.

 

Minju opened but wasn’t able to make a word. She glanced bact at the ladies’ room entrance and then to her friend. “I-- I don’t—“  

 

“Did you see her face? She’s cute, right?” Hyewon giggled. “You have to admit, that one is a real hottie.”

 

Minju grimaced. "Oh, c'mon. You know I don't swing that way."

 

Hyewon sighed. "Okay, I know you're not really into this, but could you please help me on this one? I'd like to get to know her."

 

"Help you with what? Wait, wait, wait.... How long has she been working here? Why didn't I notice her before?"

 

"She just started here this week, Monday, and you were on your leave, remember?"

 

"Oh, I see. Which department?"

 

"Graphics. Hyunjin's department."

 

"Ahh, that's why you needed my help..." said Minju, deadpan.

 

"Exactly. I'm pretty sure Hyunjin missed you so much. Why don't we pay him a visit instead?" said Hyewon, looping her arm through Minju's.

 

"I could send him a message and just tell him to go here."

 

"No! Let's just go to their department, please?" Hyewon pleaded, making Minju roll her eyes. "Please, please, pretty please? I just really want to get to know her. You told me you'd make it up to me, right?"

 

Knowing that she can't say no anymore, Minju pinched the bridge of her nose. "Ugh. Why didn't you introduce yourself last Monday or yesterday? You didn't have to wait for me."

 

"I'm embarrassed, Minju. I know you'll never believe me, but I really feel shy around her..." admitted Hyewon.

 

Minju wanted to say 'no', but Hyewon's unfaltering puppy-look seem to have won over. "Fine. Fine. Just this once, okay?"

 

"Eeeeee!" Hyewon jumped in excitement, forgetting that she's in the office. "Oops..."

 

Minju shook her head, smirking. "You're crazy."

 

"I'm crazy about her!" Hyewon giggled. "And you know what? A lot of ladies have been lurking around this floor since she came in. Hyunjin's department has been getting a lot of female visitors lately."

 

That finally ticked Minju's curiosity. "Really? Wow, she must be a real catch."

 

"You want to see her too?"

 

"Just curious. But still, I'm not interested."

 

"That's good. At least you're not my competition."

 

"That will never happen, Hyewon." Minju grabbed her bag and fished for something inside. "Lemme just look for the souvenir I bought for Hyunjin so we have a valid excuse to go there. I don't want to get accused of something that's not my int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter