Forgotten Season

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Yunho's POV*

 

I found myself waking up every day waiting for Jaejoong’s letter. I checked every evening after my lessons to see if there were any letters for me. But there was none.

My schedule grew increasingly busy as my work became more and more involved and complicated. I ended up working through the night to work on the things I missed when I was gone.

Despite all that, I made sure to write a letter to Jaejoong every night before I went to bed. Those letters were short and hardly ever exceeding one page. Nonetheless, because of this, I ended up only getting a few hours of sleep most nights. But I didn’t mind. It was worth it.

 

It wasn’t until 4 and a half weeks later when the day finally came!

The messenger apologized several times for the delay, saying that it was due to the weather. I ignored his pathetic excuses. I went straight to my room to read it.

I quickly teared open the envelop and pulled out the thin sheet of paper. To my dismay it was only one page long. I had hoped for more, mine was 3 pages after all.

I smiled at the first sentence he wrote, scolding me for not knowing his address only to end up saying that it was probably better to send it between the two palaces since it was faster. Mail that came from palaces were made top priority and were delivered quicker than regular mail.

He then went on to respond to my letter, telling me that I better work hard on my studies so I can stop sounding like an idiot (whatever that meant), He wrote that his family is fine and that his mother said hello. He stated that he hasn’t seen Siwon at all. He didn’t even see him in class. However, he told me not to worry about him or whoever he talks to. That it was creepy and weird.

I scoffed at this a bit offended.

He continued on saying that he doesn’t need to practice the exercises I gave him and reiterated that he could defend himself. Nonetheless, he confessed that he did try out a few of the ones that he hadn’t learned before.

I read the letter twice before my bedroom door busted wide open, nearly causing me to jump.

“We are here! We have returned!” Yoochun announced a wide smile spread across his lips when he met my glare.

I sat up in my bed. “What the ?” I growled pissed off by his intrusion.

“This is how you react? You haven’t seen us in weeks.” Yoochun hopped on the edge of my bed, making himself comfortable. I narrowed my eyes at him.

Junsu was about to sit on the couch, but the servant boy grabbed his wrist, forcing him onto the bed next to him. The younger’s ears burned pink.

“Actually, I liked it better when you were gone. Why did you leave anyway? When I said I needed you to do something, that didn’t mean to just take off.” I frowned.

Yoochun shrugged, “This project required all of my attention.”

I rolled my eyes at his bull. “I could have you removed from your position and out the palace.” I reminded. Naturally (for him), he was excited by my words. “Please do. I’m tired of this place.” He pleaded in a joking tone, though he meant what he said. I rolled my eyes for a second time. “Why are you here? It better be important. I’m busy.”

Yoochun raised an eyebrow. “Busy? You were just lying on your bed.” He remarked. At that moment he saw the letter in my hand. A devious smirk danced on his wicked lips. “Oooh~. What is that you’re reading?” He reached for the parchment paper. I immediately shoved him away. “Yah! Talk or else I’ll kick you out my room!” I threated.

He huffed in disappointment. “You’re no fun.”

“Anyway…” He finally moved on. “We found some really interesting information that you’ll like.”

I listened closely.

“My grandmother’s father used to own a shop in the Fertility Kingdom that rented and sold maps and atlases.” Junsu began. “It’s an old shop that was passed own from generation to generation until my great grandfather closed it to move to the Fire Kingdom with his husband. However, he kept a lot of the maps and atlases, especially the really old ones.” He continued.

I continued to pay close attention though I was unsure as to why this was relevant.

“And this was the oldest map he had.” He pulled out a large rolled up parchment paper.

I furrowed my brow, “That looks new though.” I pointed out.

“Yeah, my grandmother didn’t trust me enough to give me the actual map, so she sat down and redrew it on parchment paper and included the notes that were written on the original one.” He confessed, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Okay. So, what’s so important about it?”

“This map was created a year after Queen Konomi passed away. It’s what the Fertility kingdom looked like over a century ago!” He announced.

I stared at him, still not understanding.

Yoochun shook his head. “You want to find this place, right? You need a map to find it, but you’re not going to be able to find it with just a regular map, you’ll also need one from back then.” He explained.

My eyes widened as it clicked.

“The fire kingdom is doomed.” He remarked.

“So, the garden is real?” I asked, ignoring his comment.

“Not necessarily.” Junsu continued. “But the last person to use the map claimed to have found the garden and wrote down notes on her findings.” Junsu unrolled the parchment paper and spread it on my bed. My eyes widened. There were a ton of different colored markings and words written on the paper. “In one of her notes, she described how she met the daughter of the only person Queen Konomi was closed to, which was a lowly servant who she promoted to be her personal servant.”

“According to the daughter, her mom and Queen Konomi worked on the garden together. She was the only one allowed inside the garden, aside from the king. Apparently, it was where the first Sakura trees bloomed in the winter. And she and the Queen later planted more in memory of her family members. However, the daughter said that in Queen Konomi’s last days, she gifted the personal servant with a four layered ring.”

“Queen Konomi told her that no one will be able to find her garden without it. So, as a way to show her gratitude to her only friend in the palace, she gifted her with the ring. She said inside the ring was engraved a map to find the garden. If the rings are lined up correctly and put in the correct order, then the map will appear clearly.”

My eyes grew larger at his words, “A 4-layered ring?” I repeated.

Junsu nodded, “But there’s no way to tell what it looks like. She didn’t write any description of it.” He added.

I sat there in disbelief. No way. Could it be? I stared at the locked box on the other side of the room.

‘That’s the only ring ever made.’

I recalled the jewelry shop owner’s words. Did she know what that ring was?

“But it gets more complicated. You can’t just find it with the map. You have to be worthy or something.” Junsu finished. “And that’s why I don’t think the garden is real. If you can’t find it with the map that was made for it, then how is it real?” He included his input. Yoochun nodded in agreement. “Magical things do happen, but this just doesn’t make sense.”

I ignored their irrelevant input and studied the map. “Is that all?” I finally asked.

“Well, yeah. Everything else is just in storybooks.” Junsu shrugged.

“Okay, then you guys can go.” I shewed them away.

“Ugh, that’s it? No thank you or reward for our hard work?” Yoochun scoffed.

I frowned at him. “Consider the month you took off as your reward. Now go. I won’t repeat myself again.” I ordered.

This time he frowned. “Let’s go Junsu.” He huffed before getting off the bed and left the room. Junsu followed after him.

As soon as they were gone, I scrambled off my bed and ran to my desk. I unlocked the box and took out the small velvet box. A large grin grew on my lips. This was going to be great!

 

 

 

 

…2 Weeks Later…

 

“Your wagon is ready your highness.” The servants bowed as I walked up to the large wagon. “Good. You guys can go.” I told them. “Have a safe trip.” They bowed one last time and quickly walked away.

Once they were gone, I threw my leather satchel over my shoulder. It contained the map and ring. I then climbed onto the wagon, ready to go.

“Yunho?! Yunho!” My mother suddenly stormed out the castle, followed by her entourage of servants. “Jung Yunho! Don’t you dare leave!”

I rolled my eyes in irritation. I contemplated on taking off, however, she already made it to the wagon before I could do anything. “What do you want? I have to go.” I asked. She was the last person I needed to see before my long trip.

“You aren’t going to the Fertility Kingdom.” She told me. “You are staying here. I’ve planned a meeting with different families for you to meet this month. You have to be here to meet them.”

“That’s not my problem. It’s your fault for poor planning. You knew I was leaving today.” I told her.

“That’s why I have assigned one of our most trusted knights to go in your stead.” She stepped aside to reveal the knight. He bowed to me.

I frowned. “Dad sent me to go, so I’m going.” I continued to shut down her efforts.

“And I am telling you that you are not going. This is the only month you are free form lessons. You need to start meeting these prospective partners.” She urged.

“I have this month free from lessons to get herbs. I will be in the Fertility kingdom for a week, so if you’ll please stop wasting my time, I’d like to leave now.” I was ready to move on from this conversation.

She looked at me sternly, “I am not going to argue with you. You do as I say. Get off that wagon right now.” Her tone was threatening.

“Does dad know about this?” I remained calm. My question caught her a little off guard. “No.” She answered anyway.

I hummed at this, “So, as far as I know, I am still under the orders of the king. Therefore, his words surpass yours.” I reminded.

Her eyes widened as they filled with fierce rage. Her hands curled into tight fists. She hated it. She hated the fact that my father had greater power than she, and she hated even more being reminded of it. “How dare you?! After everything I’ve done for you!” Her voice was low but furious. “I was the only one who cared for you! And you take his side?!” She nearly shouted.

I gripped the reigns. I didn’t have time for this. “I’m on no one’s side, but my own.” I narrowed my eyes at her, “I was always on my own.” With that I hit the reigns and took off.

“Yunho!” She shouted, but the servants held her back from running after me.

Pathetic. I thought to myself. All of this was pathetic.

 

I rode at full speed, wanting to get out of the kingdom as fast as possible. Early this morning I was eager about the trip. I was in a good mood. I even kinda smiled at a couple of servants knights I passed earlier. But that was now far gone. And the horrible feeling that her words brought me didn’t go away.

I felt sick to my stomach. It was nauseating at how easily she could lie and try to manipulate me without a bat of an eye, without any shame. When I was a kid, she used to say things like that. Things like, she was the only one who cared for me, who cared about me, and that my father didn’t care at all. She did this to get me to do what she wanted, and it worked. It still had an effect on me.

But I’m not going to give in. Not anymore. Not ever again. No one is going to be able to tell me what to do, ever.

 

 

 

After a few hours of riding, I stopped to take my first break. It was earlier than usual, but I had to stop. Something wasn’t right. The wagon felt heavier than it should’ve. There shouldn’t be anything in the wagon besides clothes and money, and it shouldn’t even weight that much.

I climbed off the seat to walk around to the other side when I suddenly heard whispering.

“Stop moving.” I heard them whisper.

I furrowed my brow with narrowed eyes.

“But I have to go.” There was a second person. “Wait until he’s gone.” The first person whispered.

I quietly pulled out my sword and walked to the back of the wagon.

“Is he gone?” The second person whimpered.

“I think-,”

I jumped into the wagon and pointed my sword at the intruders.

The two of them screamed at my surprise attack.

I fro

Please log in to read the full chapter