No Other

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

I was in the kitchen, listening and laughing at Yoochun’s stories while I made soup for everyone to eat for breakfast. The temperature was dropping every day and it continued to snow nonstop. I figured I’d make something warm for everyone to eat.

Yoochun was surprisingly funny. He was strange, but fun to be around, nonetheless. He had a lot to say about any and everything, but I enjoyed talking to him. I was actually surprised by how he treated Yunho and managed to get away with it.

“Jaejoong-hyung.” Junsu entered the kitchen, earning both of our attention. “Yunho asked me to train you.” He said almost reluctantly.

“He asked?” Yoochun raised an eyebrow.

“He told me.” Junsu corrected sounding a bit annoyed.

I chuckled at this, shaking my head. I turned off the stove and covered the pot. “Train for what?”

The young knight-in-training shrugged. “He just said to train you. Apparently, he sent you some exercises?”

I sighed, realizing what this was about. “Don’t worry about it.” I brushed off. I turned back to what I was doing.

Yoochun raised a curious eyebrow, “Train for what?”

“Nothing. He just wants me to learn to fight…like him.” I grumbled, pouring soup pinto three bowls. “So, basically killing people?” Yoochun clarified. I nodded placing the bowls on the table. “I turned down his offer. I already know how to fight.” I sat down at the table along with Junsu who joined us.

Yoochun looked at me curiously.

“What?” I questioned.

“You can fight?”

I frowned at this.

“What? I imagined that people from the Fertility kingdom were all peaceful and anti-violence or whatever.” He shrugged.

“Is that what we really seem like to you guys?” I asked in disbelief.

He shrugged, “Try seeing it from someone who comes from a kingdom that’s been basically ruled by ruthless and heartless kings that prefer violence over talking.” He said.

I slowly nodded. He did kind of have a point.

“I’m curious though>” Show us.” Yoochun said, strangely intrigued. “Please~…So Yunho will stop bothering me about it.” Junsu pleaded.

“Fine. Just a few demonstrations.” I gave in.

Junsu and I moved to the living room, where we had a little more space. Yoochun watched us from the kitchen, eating his soup.

“Do you want me to give you any warnings?” Junsu asked. “Surprise me.” I shrugged. He nodded, getting into his stance.

I rolled up my sleeves and studied his body, carefully anticipating his movements. He immediately went in with a left hook.

I blocked his swing with my right forearm and stopped my left fist as his chest.

He raised an impressed eyebrow. “You have fast reflexes.” He complimented.

“Thank you.”

We stepped away from each other. “Let’s try something a little faster.” He suggested. I nodded in approval.

He threw a right punch which I blocked just below my right wrist. I grabbed his wrist with my free hand and quickly pushed it down. He instantly followed with a punch from his left arm. I quickly blocked it with the outside of my right arm. I grabbed his arm and pushed it down quickly stretching my forearm of my other arm against the expanse of his neck.

“Whoa.” Junsu smiled when I released him. “You’re really fast.” He repeated this time with more enthusiasm.

I blushed in slight embarrassment. I rubbed the back of my neck. “My dad taught me a lot of Wing Chun techniques since I was young. So, I guess I naturally got quicker at it.”

“Ah, really? My great grandfather practiced Wing Chun. But I never got to learn.” He confessed.

“You know about it?” I asked a bit surprised.

He nodded. “My great grandfather is from the Fertility Kingdom.

My eyes slightly widened, finding the information interesting. “I can show you some techniques.” I offered.

His eyes lit up at my offer. “Really?!”

I chuckled at how adorable he was but nodded.

 

 

We practiced for a little longer and I taught him some simple moves my father showed me. It was a little difficult for him, but he caught on slowly.

“We’ll practice more tomorrow.” I said after 30 minutes of practicing. “Yes. That would be great! Thank you!” He beamed. I chuckled, “No problem.” He really seemed interested in learning. I wondered if it was because his great grandfather was from here, and if it was because he was training to be a knight. It was understandable. However, I did find it a little strange. He didn’t seem much like a fighter. I wanted to ask, but I noticed that he was extremely shy in front of Yoochun. So, I figured I’d ask him when we are alone.

“I guess I’ll go ahead and give Yunho his soup. You two can eat without me.” I went to pour another bowl of soup for the sick prince.

“I’ll do it.” Yoochun offered.

Junsu and I looked at him both surprised.

“You, my friend, work too hard for a spoiled prince like that.” Yoochun took the bowl from my hand. “Plus, I haven’t for a while.” He patted my back and walked away.

“Do you want me to help you?” Junsu proposed. “No. I’m good.” Yoochun casually brushed him off before disappearing into the hallway.

Junsu’s shoulders dropped as he sat down in disappointment.

I raised a curious eyebrow and sat down in the seat across from him. I watched him carefully as he slowly ate his soup.

I only met Yoochun and Junsu four days ago, but it already felt like I knew them well. They were extremely friendly and open. It was easy to get along with them, and oddly enough, they seemed interested in becoming my friend. Junsu was the most open out of the two of them. He spoke the least and was shy. However, his body language said a lot about him. I was able to read him easily and learned a lot about him just from his body language.

I tilted my head to the side. “Do you…Do you have a crush on Yoochun?” I finally asked.

He nearly spit out his soup and looked at me with wide eyes.

I looked back at him in slight shock, not expecting that reaction.

He looked around him, realizing the mess he made. “I’m so sorry!” He panicked. He grabbed the nearest napkin and quickly wiped up his mess.

I couldn’t help but chuckle again. “It’s okay. I’m sorry for asking a sensitive question.” I apologized, feeling a little bad.

He didn’t respond. His ears were a deep red, and he avoided making eye contact with me. I smiled, taking this as confirmation. He was cute. “I do have another question though, if you don’t mind me asking.”

He slowly lifted his head, “You can ask.” He gave me permission.

“How come you’re training to be a knight? You seem interested in different techniques. But you don’t really look like someone who likes to fight.” I explained.

He looked at me in shock. “No one has ever asked me that before.” He confessed.

I listened to him closely.

“My parents are the top knights in the Fire Kingdom. They’re the best and most skilled fighters I know. King Jung appointed them as the head of the nation’s military and protective defenses. I look up to them a lot. They’re extraordinarily good at what they do and they’re exceedingly knowledgeable and smart.” He smiled to himself.

“Growing up I had always been intrigued in the different techniques of fighting. If you just look at it beyond the violence, you’ll find that it’s an art. It’s like dancing.” There was a twinkle in his eye as he spoke.

“Because my parents are knights, I was kinda thrown into it. But I wasn’t actually interested in the fighting itself. I don’t mind fighting to protect the people I care about, but…” His shoulders dropped a little, “…there’s a lot expected of me because of my parents’ high status.”

“Everyone expected me to be some prodigy. But instead I’m the opposite. I’m not good at fighting, nor am I skilled. I’m probably the worst out of all the other students. My movements are too slow and not precise. I know what to do, but I…I can’t execute anything right.” He sighed in frustration.

“My parents never say anything about it, in fact they’re supportive and patient with me. But I know I embarrass them.” He frowned in disappointment. “I hear what the other knights say about me. How it’s a shame that I’m not good fighting That they feel bad for my parents whose only son ended up being meek and weak-willed. That the other servants are better fighters than me. I know they’ve heard it all too.”

“Servants?” I questioned.

Please log in to read the full chapter