The Story Has Just Begun

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

IMPORTANT NOTE! PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING THE STORY!

A/N: The POV switches in the middle of the story. Also possible TW of Nonconscentual actions (nothing graphical happens, but I am just putting this warning here just in case). Thank you! And I hope you enjoy this chapter :)

 

 

*Yunho’s POV*

“Wakey, wakey.”

I groaned and my side.

“Yunho hyung, it’s time to wake up.”

I ignored the distant voice and continued to sleep, until I was suddenly hit hard in the head.

I shot up out of my sleep angrily. I was met with a grinning Jiyong with a pillow in his hand. “What the ?!” My knuckles began to burn.

Naturally, he was unphased by my rage. “I came to wake you up. Everyone has already been up for over an hour. We’re actually eating breakfast now. We’re basically done.” He informed.

“What? You ate without me?” I questioned, getting even more upset. The younger prince nodded. “I was going to wake you up, but Jaejoong hyung said to let you sleep. You seemed like you were having a really nice sleep.”

I froze at his words.

A wave of humiliation washed over me as the memories of last night flooded my mind. “!” I cursed, burying my face back into my pillow. I spoke about things that I never spoke about before! It might’ve not been much, but that’s the most personal thing I’ve ever revealed to anyone. And I almost told him even more!

Even if I didn’t say a lot of things, it felt like too much. I never open up to anyone about how I truly feel about things…about anything. Except for if they made me angry or if they’re annoying. It was easier that way. It had always been easier that way.

But…

For some reason, speaking to him wasn’t all that bad. It kind of felt good. I guess.

“Yunho hyung, are you okay?” Jiyong asked with concern. “I’m fine.” I grumbled, reluctantly sitting back up. “Great! Because today is going to be a busy day. We have a lot to do to prepare for the ball. We’re going to help my Umma with the finishing touches and arrangements for the ball, then we need to get our hair done, and then…”

I tuned him out as he went on and on over the useless list of things we had to do. My mind drifted back to last night. The image of Jaejoong smiling at me returned to my mind. It was a totally different smile than what I’ve seen before. It was warm and kind.

I quickly shook my head. It had to have been my imagination. There’s no way he could have a beautiful smile like that. No way!! It was just my mind playing tricks on me because we were having a somewhat meaningful conversation. I guess. And it felt like some weight was taken off my shoulder. He seemed to actually understand what I was saying. Like he understood me.

“Yunho?” Jiyong’s voice snapped me out of it. He looked at me with concern again. “Are you okay? Are you sick?” He felt the back of his hand on my forehead. “I’m fine.” I pushed his hand away.

“Ah!” He popped back up. “I forgot to ask you. Did you get a corsage for Jaejoong?” He suddenly asked.

“A what?”

“A corsage. Flowers for Jaejoong to wear around his wrist to the ball.” He stated as if it were obvious.

“Um no. Why would I do that?”

“Because, he’s your date. You’re supposed to get one for him. Duh.” He explained.

I scoffed, “Why do I have to get him one? Why doesn’t he get me one?” I argued.

The younger face-palmed himself, shaking his head. “It’s a tradition. You’re supposed to get your date a corsage for formal events.” He tried again.

“I’ve never heard of that.” I folded my arms unimpressed.

“Well, it’s at least a tradition here in the Fertility Kingdom.” He clarified. “Everyone who has a date does it. It’s weird if you don’t. Plus, corsages are really pretty. Iseul and I even got each other one since we don’t’ have dates. But it’s still fun doing it with friends.” He beamed.

“I’m not from here and I don’t do stupid things like that.” I shut down the idea.

He frowned at this but didn’t argue. There wasn’t a point. I wasn’t going to change my mind. “Okay~.” He sighed, standing up. “I’m sure Jaejoongie would’ve been surprised.” He pouted.

I cocked an eyebrow but didn’t say anything. “Your food is in the dining room. You can meet us there after you change.” He said to me before leaving the large room, shutting the door behind him.

I remained seated on the ground, staring up at the cream-colored and pale gold ceiling. The palace wasn’t that big, in fact, it was pretty small. It was the smallest palace out of all the other kingdoms. The fertility and Celestial kingdoms were more minimalist, dedicating their lives and focus on the nature around them or whatever. However, the Fertility kingdom was a bit more materialistic than the Celestial kingdom that was basically ran by monks and priests.

Despite being small, the palace was known for its high ceilings, yet elegant and comfortable feeling it gave off.

Maybe that’s why I felt comfortable with Jaejoong. It was just the aura of the place that affected me.

Yeah. That’s what it was.

On that conclusion, I finally stood up and changed into my day clothes before Jiyong could come back again.

I easily found my way to the dining room. However, I stopped before entering the room. I froze when I spotted Jaejoong.

He and the Iseul girl were laughing and talking. There was no way I could go in there. I couldn’t face him. All I could do was stand and watch. It wasn’t long, until someone bumped into me. “Oh! Yunho you’re here!” It was Jiyong.

Iseul and Jaejoong looked in our direction. I quickly looked away, unable to look at Jaejoong. “I’m heading out.” I grumbled.

“Huh?” Jiyong was confused.

“I’ll be back later.” I walked past him.

 

 

I made my way straight to the stables where I grabbed my horse and left the palace ground. I rode as fast I could to the city, which wasn’t that far. What the heck is wrong with me?! What was that? Why did I freeze? I mentally beat myself up, trying to figure out what was going on. “Maybe I really am sick.” I concluded.

 

 

I climbed off my horse once we got to the center of the city. I guided him along with me as we roamed the area. I hid my family crescent underneath my cloak, not wanting to be recognized. I preferred people not knowing who I was. It was always a hassle when they find out. In the fire kingdom people knew to leave me alone, but in other places, it was a different story.

It wasn’t long when I suddenly spotted a small flower shop. I quickly went inside without much thought.

“Hello.” A middle-aged woman greeted me. The shop was surprisingly empty. There were hardly any flowers or anything really, to choose from. “How may I assist you?” She asked when I didn’t respond. “Do you have any croissants?” I bluntly asked.

She looked at me in confusion. “Pardon?”

“Croissants.” I repeated.

She looked at me strangely. “Um, sir. I believe you’re at the wrong place. I only sell flowers here.” She slowly explained.

I gradually grew impatient. “Yes, I know. That’s why I’m here. I need croissants.”

She paused, just staring at me for a moment. “I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what it is you are asking from me.” She finally said.

I groaned in irritation. “Croissants.” I repeated for a final time. “The little flower things you’re supposed to give your date when going to a formal event.” I used Jiyong’s explanation, because I honestly had no idea what I was looking for.

Her eyes widened in realization. “Oh! You mean a corsage?” She corrected.

I paused, realizing that I had been saying it wrong. “Uh, yeah. That.” I mumbled.

She chuckled at this. “Unfortunately, I don’t have any more corsages. My last few were bought this morning. As you can see, I’m pretty much wiped out here because of the ball.”

I frowned.

“But there are some other shops around here and throughout the rest of the city. You can try those.” She suggested. I sighed but nodded anyway and left the small shop.

I untied my horse and went to the next nearest floral shop.

However, they didn’t have any either. In fact, they barely had anything.

I went to the other shops in the area only to get the same result. It was irritating but I ventured throughout the rest of the city anyway. I visited all the other shops. Nonetheless, they all gave me the same answer. It was begging to piss me off.

I’m positive I went to every shop in the entire city and ended up with absolutely nothing. It was ridiculous. Isn’t this a plant kingdom or whatever? So, how do you run out of flowers?!

I forced myself to calm down. There’s no point in causing a scene. That was the last thing I needed.

“I should head back.” I gave up in disappointment. The sun had already set, and the ball was going to start in a couple of minutes. I still needed to prepare and change.

I was about to climb back on my horse when I spotted a familiar wooden building. It was the old jewelry shop that Jaejoong and I did deliveries for a while ago. “I’ll be right back.” I told my horse before I ran to the small shop.

 

“Hel-Oh! It’s so nice to see you again.” The shop owner immediately recognized me. She came up to me and shook my hand. “What brings you back here? Is there anything I can help you with?” She offered with an eager smile. “Please tell me you still have that Sakura pin.” I said desperately.

It was almost in vain as I remembered she said she only had a few left.

She was a bit surprised by my urgency but nodded. “I do.”

A wave of relief washed over me at her simple two words. I quickly dug into my pocket and pulled out a handful of gold and silver coins and shoved it into her hand. “Please, I’m in a rush. I need it. Is this enough?”

Her eyes grew large at the amount of gold and silver pieces in her hands. “Th-This is too much.” She said.

“I don’t have any time. Keep the change. This is important.” I urged desperately. The ball had already started by now, and I still needed to get ready. She caught onto my haste and nodded firmly. “I’ll be right back.” She quickly disappeared to the back of the shop.

I waited by the store entrance, glancing out the window. The ball started at sunset, and the sun had already crossed the horizon. I don’t know why I was worked up over being late to some stupid dance. But the exigency was eating away at me.

The shop owner didn’t return until a long dreadful 5 minutes later. “I’m sorry I took so long. But I couldn’t let you pay so much for an inexpensive pin like that. She handed me a small velvet box along with a smaller pearl white box.

“What’s this?” I opened the velvet box that revealed a bright gold and silver ring.

“It’s a four layered ring that represents the seasons. There’s a glass casing over each layer that holds a piece of nature that represents its given season. The lining of each layer alternates between gold and silver, staring with gold on the first layer.” She explained.

“The first layer has tiny Sakura peals encased inside it to represent spring. These petals are said to never wilt or die as long as it’s inside the glass casing. The second layer has water inside to represent summer. The third layer contains pieces of red leaves that don’t ever die either, to represent fall. Finally, the 4th layer represents winter. Inside the casing is snow that never melts, no matter how hot it is.”

I stared at the ring to find that she was right. The sakura petals and the leaves held its vibrant color. The water was a clear deep blue and the snow was nowhere near melting.

“You’re lucky, that is the last pin. And that’s the only ring ever made.” She told me.

I looked at her, lost and confused. “Then why are you giving this to me? It seems important.”

She gave me a knowing smile, which confused me even more. “Don’t worry about it. You’ll find out soon enough, if you’re wise and let your heart guide you and not your head.”

I stood there dumbfounded. Her words were strange and made absolutely no sense, but I didn’t have time for riddles. “This seems like it costs more than what I gave you.” I reached for my pockets again. “Don’t worry about it. Go. Aren’t you in a rush?” She quickly pushed me out the door before I could take out any more coins.

I stumbled out the shop. She smiled and waved me farewell before shutting the door.

“That was weird.” I muttered.

I shrugged it off and stuffed the wo boxes into my pocket. These should make up for not having a corsage.

I quickly jogged to my horse and hopped on him. “Let’s go.” I had to hurry. There was no more time left. I was already late, and I was over 20 minutes away from the palace.

 

 

 

 

*Third Person POV*

 

Jaejoong sighed as he followed his friends around the ball room. He was a little disappointed. The dance had started over an hour ago and Yunho was still nowhere to be seen. It’s not like he wanted him there. In fact, he didn’t have much expectations for the prince, but it still hurt to be stood up, even if he didn’t like the person. Just when I thought he might’ve actually been a decent human being.

He was embarrassed.

After last night’s conversation, he decided that he’d look past the younger’s pretentious behavior and attempt to understand him, and maybe be his friend. Nevertheless, that thought was quickly abandoned after tonight. He was so disheartened that he couldn’t bring himself to try to enjoy the party.

“He’ll be here. I know he will.” Jiyong tried to assure him.

“You said he left suddenly this morning?” Jaejoong recalled. The younger nodded. “And he took his horse?” Jaejoong continued to question. The prince nodded once more. “Did he even say where he was going?” Jaejoong asked.

“…no…” Jiyong answered.

Jaejoong sighed, “Jiyong, he’s not coming.” He told him.

The prince frowned at this. “He will come! He has too! I know he will.” He insisted. Jaejoong rested his hand on his shoulders. “Jiyong, you put too much faith in people. Some people just don’t deserve it.” He told him, earning a pout from his friend. “But it’s fine!” Jaejoong tried to assure the prince. “Who cares about him?”

“Excuse me.” Someone interrupted their conversation.

The three friends turned to find Siwon bowing to each of them. He greeted each of them with a warm smile and compliment. His smile grew warmer when he greeted Jaejoong (who blushed at the handsome noble). “I’m sorry to interrupt, but do you mind if I steal Jaejoong from the two of you?” He asked politely.

Jiyong was about to protest when Iseul stepped in. “Of course!” She quickly grabbed Jiyong’s wrist. “Come on.” She dragged the Fertility prince with her away from the older teenagers.

“Why did you do that for? Jaejoong is Yunho’s date.” Jiyong said. “Prince Yunho isn’t coming Jiyong.” Iseul told him, sharing their elder friend’s doubt.

Jiyong frowned at this.

“Plus, Siwon is nicer. I think Jaejoong would have more fun with him anyway.” Iseul confessed.

Jiyong’s frown deepened. “Yunho and Jaejoong are better together.” He argued.

Iseul only shook her head.

 

 

“May I have the honor of having this dance with you?” Siwon held out his arm. Jaejoong chuckled in embarrassment. “Sure.” He took the elder’s hand. He felt his cheeks burn when their bodies came close to each other as they began to dance. “I can’t really dance though.” He confessed. “It’s okay. I won’t judge you.” The noble heir assured him with a gentle smile.

“I’m not afraid of being judged.” Jaejoong murmured, unable to look him in the eye. Siwon chuckled at this. “I know.” he said, taking the younger by surprise. “You look amazing by the way.” He whispered in his ear, pulling a deeper blush from him.

 

 

Yunho found Fertility fashion to be strange. Many people still wore traditional clothing throughout the day, but he also noticed that a lot of the citizens wore a combination of both traditional and modern clothing. He figured that the fertility kingdom was just behind and just now getting up to date with the new trends.

The outfits Jaejoong’s mother made for them were of traditional clothing. His attire was composed of a satin long-sleeve black ruqun dress and black close-fitting trousers underneath. The outfit was completed with a black satin long wide sleeve beizi jacket with slits at the waist, the back was embroided with a large maroon dragon with gold streaks. The sleeves were outlined with golden silk and completed with an embroidery of his family’s crescent in the center of each sleeve and in the left corner of the frontal chest part of it.

Yunho was highly impressed with Mrs. Kim’s work. The material was slightly different from the traditional material used, but it was comfortable and looked great. It was better than what he wore at home. She gave him a gold ribbon to use to tie his hair up.

 

The crowned prince hurried down the halls, until he finally reached the ballroom. He burst through the heavy double doors, gaining the attention of the guests nearest to him. He ignored the stares as he pushed through the crowd in search of Jaejoong.

People tried to approach him, but he brushed them aside. He didn’t care to mingle with anyone. Had his mother seen, she would’ve had a big fit. But he was never interested in meeting new people. He didn’t trust anyone, nor did he care for anyone, and he was fine with just that.

“Yunho-hyung!”

For the first time he was glad to hear Prince Jiyong’s voice. He immediately spotted the prince and Iseul and walked over to them.

“Thank goodness you’re here! I knew you’d come.” Jiyong beamed excitedly. Iseul looked a bit surprised. “What took you so long?” Jiyong asked.

“Where’s Jaejoong?” Yunho asked, ignoring his question.

“You need to save him!” Jiyong burst, catching him by surprise.

“What?”

“He’s with Siwon.” Jiyong told him.

Yunho tensed at his words, anger immediately took over.

Iseul shook her head, “Jiyong you make it sound like he’s in danger. He’s fine. Siwon just asked him to dance.” She said in an attempt to calm the fire prince.

Yunho didn’t respond. Instead, he scanned the oversized hall until he finally spotted the two on the other side, dancing. Together. Yunho balled his fists and left the two younger members, marching through the crowd.

Jiyong smiled to himself, glad that the elder prince was now here. “Everything is better now. Come on. Now it’s time to have some fun! Let’s get some food!” He beamed to his best friend. He grabbed her wrist, dragging her to the tables.

Iseul glanced back over her shoulder. She had an unsettling feeling over what was about to transpire.

 

 

After what felt like forever, Prince Yunho finally reached the two. “Yah!” He spat. He grabbed Jaejoong’s shoulder and yanked him away from the noble heir.

“Yunho?” Jaejoong looked at him wide-eyed.

The said prince was about to speak but froze at the sight of the boy

Please log in to read the full chapter