Apology

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Changmin’s POV*

We roamed the border for the past 78 hours searching for Jaejoong. We hardly stopped to rest. We didn’t even return to the palace for new supplies.

“Where is he?” The fire prince asked for the 100th time. His eyes were red from not getting any sleep, but his hands were wrapped tightly around his reigns. It was just him, Youngmi, and I. He sent Junsu and Yoochun to search the nearby cities in case he never made it out. Nayoung stayed behind at the palace to cover for Yunho in case his mom started asking around.

I was frustrated, there was no way we were going to find him soon enough with just the 5 of us. He should’ve sent more people! I should’ve known better. No one at that stupid palace cares.

My eyes burned continuously at the thought. I should’ve gone with him. Why didn’t I go?! I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to him. I gritted my teeth fighting the lump that formed in my throat. I really am useless. I can’t do anything right when it really matters. This si why everyone left me.

“Where is he?!” Yunho snapped when no one answered him.

“We don’t know!” I spat back irritated by the dumb question. Unsurprisingly this pissed him off more.

“How do you not know?! Why did you even let him go by himself?!” He yelled angrily.

I balled my fists about to argue back when Youngmi butted in, “Yah. Arguing isn’t’ going to help us find him any sooner. So just shut up and look for him.”

Neither of us said another word but we both shared hateful glances.

Youngmi sighed. “We need to take a break. We’ve been up for hours. We’re just aimlessly roaming at this point.”

Before either of us could protest she climbed off her horse and made her way to a nearby large tree. She sat down on the ground and leaned against the trunk, closing her eyes. “Man, it feels good to shut my eyes.” She sighed in relief.

Yunho and I reluctantly stopped, knowing well that she wasn’t getting up any time soon. We hopped off our horses and sat around the tree. I laid down on the grass and closed my eyes despite knowing that I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep.

It was silent for a few minutes before I sat up feeling more anxious than before. I glanced back to find Youngmi sleeping peacefully against the tree trunk. As I turned back around I made eye contact with the prince. He sent me another hateful glare but I ignored him and turned away.

“We’re wasting time.” He finally said, standing up abruptly. But no one responded.

I wanted to get up and look for Jaejoong, but Youngmi was right. “We need to rest. We’re useless if we bump into them exhausted.” I said before he could speak again.

“What if something happens to him?” He snapped.

“Then maybe you should’ve sent more people to look for him!” I snapped back tired of his attitude.

He grew angrier. “You know I can’t do that.”

I rolled my eyes, “Pathetic.”

“What?”

“I said that you are pathetic!” I turned around to face his heated eyes. “What kind of prince are you? Are you just talk or are you really that useless?” I stood up feeling angrier by the second.

He opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off, “If you were going to marry someone else then you should’ve let him go instead of giving him false hope and making him suffer!”

At that moment Youngmi opened her eyes.

“You never bothered to send him any kind of message. Yet he was sitting here waiting for you all these months because he’s worried about you while he’s the one facing the humiliation of public pity and threats of losing his shop and house from your mom and guards. He’s here alone without his family while you sit comfortably in your stupid palace.” I stepped up to him getting angrier and angrier. How could Jaejoong still love him?

“He’s suffered from the news of your marriage and child. Yet you can’t send a measly letter! Your mom sends him more letters than you ever have! You think you’re suffering. But he left his home and family for you! And you haven’t seen him cry as I have! Yet you’re blaming everyone but yourself? You would’ve never known that he was gone if it weren’t for us! You’re just like your mom. You all can go to ing hell!” I screamed, shoving him to the ground.

I breathed heavily, tightening my fists.

He sat on the ground still giving me a hateful glare but it was now combined with something sadder. I felt a strong urge to beat him right then and there. But what would that do? Nothing. It’d make me just as low as him. I turned away from him.

At that moment we heard a clattering of hooves followed by a distant neighing.

Yunho and Youngmi quickly stood up. A white strong thoroughbred horse galloped toward us. My eyes widened, “That’s his horse!”

My heart froze seeing that the horse was alone. The horse ran straight to me neighing loudly and bumping my shoulder. I furrowed my brow in both confusion and fear. Youngmi walked up to us watching the horse curiously.

“It recognizes you.” She stated, “It’s trying to tell you something.” She looked at me intrigued. I quickly shook my head, “I can’t communicate with animals. I used to help Jaejoong take care of her, but he’s the one that communicates with…” my voice trailed. I quickly turned to the horse. “Where’s Jaejoong?”

 

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

My head jerked every time it lulled to the side. My lids clung heavily halfway over my eyes. My body felt like led. My body was exhausted but my mind wouldn’t let me sleep. How could I sleep? I couldn’t stomach Sungha’s death while I was here still alive. A guilty feeling clung onto me. Maybe I could’ve protected him somehow.

I should’ve left with him.

Or maybe I should’ve never gone to the Fire Kingdom in the first place. Maybe then Sungha and Nayoung could’ve been together and Sungha would be alive.

I was left in the room for the past three days while Sungha’s lifeless body. The tall man (I later learned his name was Sungmin) came in to bring me food. He would apologize over and over and attempted to push Sungha’s body to the other end of the room and covered it with a sheet. He even brought scented candles to try to mask the smell that was beginning to emit from the body. I was confused about how he was a criminal, but I had no energy to ask about his story.

I didn’t eat any of the food he brought me. I was undeserving and unmotivated to try to escape. I hadn’t cared what they negotiated with the palace, whether they made a deal with the Queen or Yunho.

Sungmin grew concerned, but still brought food every day and got me to at least drink water a couple of times. This time he refused to leave until I’d taken a few bites of the bread he gave me.

I glanced at the walls there was only one window. It was a small foggy rectangular window at the top of the wall behind me, allowing for just enough light to see around the room.

I shifted in my spot. My body was slightly cramped after sitting in the same spot for several hours. The room was damp and cool. My wrists were still tied but Sungmin had untied my ankles. I rested my head against the wall. I felt lost. I could only think about Sungha.

He didn’t do anything wrong.

Tears filled the wells of my eyes when I suddenly heard shuffling outside.

Multiple voices came from the other side of the door. Just then the door unlocked and swung open. Five new men entered the room followed by the gruff man and Sungmin. They all stared at me seemingly surprised (except for Sungmin and the gruff man). Sungmin was unable to look at me. I stared back at them with tired eyes.

One of them walked up to me. He lifted my chin with his finger and inspected me closely as if to make sure I was real.

“I told you we got him. Killed two birds with one lucky stone.” The burly man snorted proudly.

“I already sent a letter to the palace. I’m sure the prince will be willing to pay a pretty penny for his return.” He smirked. The others murmured in agreement.

“Make a deal with the Queen.” The man in front of me said. He looked at me curiously. “She has more power, so she’ll have more access to the kingdom’s treasury. And I’m sure she’ll pay way more for us to silently get rid of him like his friend.”

I frowned at him unable to say anything for talking about Sungha so carelessly.

He stood up and walked back to the group who all voiced their eager agreement.

“No!” Sungmin suddenly spat finally facing the group.

They all looked at him.

He quickly cleared his throat. “The prince is going to be king soon. Once he’s King he’ll have more power. He’ll pay far more than the Queen would. In fact, we’ll have more leverage over him. Since the Queen doesn’t care much about him, she might not even try to make a deal with us. We should just keep him until the prince becomes king.” He suggested.

The men though quietly to themselves.

“We’ll talk about it later.” The man who was in front of me said. He was probably the leader. “For now, we need to burn this place and leave. That politician doesn’t want any traces of that guy’s death.”

My eyes widened. I opened my mouth in protest but mothering came out other than a dry cough.

“I’ll get Jaejoong ready.” Sungmin offered.

The leader nodded. The 6 of them left the room, leaving Sungmin and I alone.

Sungmin sighed and walked up to me. “I’m sorry you had to hear all that.” He knelt down beside me, “Can you stand?”

 

 

 

*Third Person POV*

Fiona led Yunho, Changmin, and Youngmi to a rundown home in the middle of nowhere. It was guarded by two men. The horse stopped a few feet away from the house. The men immediately spotted them. However, before they could do anything they were struck down by knives in their chests.

Yunho and Changmin turned around in confusion. Youngmi smiled at them. “You didn’t think I didn’t come prepared?” She patted the small satchel tied around her saddle.

“We don’t know if that’s-,” Yunho and Youngmi took off before Changmin could finish.

 

 

“You’re not one of them.” Jaejoong spoke barely above a whisper.

“They might consider my idea. I’ll make sure they don’t kill you. I can suggest that you stay at my place until the prince becomes King.” Sungmin ignored Jaejoong’s statement as worked on loosening the knots around Jaejoong’s wrists. “When you get stronger, I’ll help you run away.”

“They’ll kill you.” Jaejoong’s words were airy. The rope fell from his wrists. “Why?”

Sungmin paused, his hands trembling.

Jaejoong furrowed his brows with concern, “I’m sorry.”

Sungmin didn’t say anything and collected the pieces of rope.

“Don’t free me.” Jaejoong finally said.

Sungmin looked at him in shock.

“I don’t want anyone getting hurt because of me. This was my fault.” Jaejoong told him.

Sungmin quickly shook his head when the door suddenly burst open.

“Get away from him!”

Sungmin and Jaejoong turned to the door.

Jaejoong’s eyes widened, “Changmin?”

Changmin glared at Sungmin, “I said get away from him.” He threatened, carefully stalking toward them, glancing around for a weapon.

“Changmin. He was helping me.” Jaejoong quickly defended, coughing hard at the end of his sentence.

Changmin stared at Sungmin skeptically before finally lowering his guard. He then ran to Jaejoong’s side, observing him frantically, “What happen to you? Are you hurt?” He fearfully questioned, “You look so sick.” He whined.

“H-How did you get here? How…” Jaejoong paused hearing the sounds of swords clashing mixed with grunts and angry shouts.

“We have to hurry and get out of here. Yunho is going to burn this place down.” Changmin warned.

He went to help the elder up, but Jaejoong grabbed his arm. Changmin looked at him wide-eyed, afraid he hurt him. Jaejoong struggled to shake his head, “Take me to the Fertility Kingdom.”

“What?”

“I can’t go back to the Fire Kingdom.” Jaejoong pleaded.

Changmin hesitated, “We need to get you help. We don’t have time. It’s too-,”

“Changmin please!”

Changmin closed his eyes stressfully. “Fine.”

“There’s an exit in the back. I can help you guys out.” Sungmin spoke up.

Changmin glared at him but didn’t say anything, instead, he helped Jaejoong up on his feet, caring the elder’s arm over his shoulders.

“Sungmin, come with us,” Jaejoong said when they left the room. “You’ll get in trouble if I’m gone, right?” Jaejoong questioned, “We’ll help you.”

Sungmin was unable to hold back his smile. He nodded and quickly walked down the hall. Changmin followed close behind him holding tightly onto Jaejoong.

Sungmin led them down the back hallway. The commotion seemed to surround them though they couldn’t see any of the action. Jaejoong stumbled to keep up with Changmin since he hadn’t walked or properly eaten the past three days, but they didn’t slow down knowing that they didn’t have much time and couldn’t afford to get caught by either party.

The walls shook and dust fell from the dirt ceiling. A crash suddenly sounded from the front of the house. Changmin and Sungmin glanced back to see that the front was in flames.

“Idiot.” Changmin cursed, picking up the pace.

Jaejoong heaved heavily, struggling to breathe. Sungmin glanced back at him with concern. “We’re almost there. The exit is right after this turn.” He promised, “There should be some horses back there. Enough for all of us.”

However, just as he turned the corner he was forced to an abrupt stop as a sword sunk through his chest. Changmin immediately stopped before bumping into him. Jaejoong’s eyes slowly widened in horror as he witnessed Yunho draw the bloodied sword from Sungmin’s chest. The outcast’s body fell to the ground, grabbing hold of his chest.

Yunho raised his sword to strike him again.

“No!” Jaejoong screamed falling on

Please log in to read the full chapter