Angel

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Come out~! I brought you treats~.” I called, hitting the thin stick against the tin bucket in the center of the field. Not long after hearing the sounds, the little critters popped up from the tall grass. I chuckled and knelt down to the ground. Soon enough, the small animals ran up to me immediately surrounding me. “There’s a lot of you today.” They pressed their tiny paws against my leg, sniffing their button noses. They searched me for food.

I chuckled again at their behavior before putting my hand in the bucket and grabbing a handful of nuts and berries to feed them. The chipmunks and squirrels dug their faces and paws into my hand and grabbed a bite of the food. I smiled watching them stuff their cheeks. One of the squirrels ran up my arm onto my shoulder, sniffing out the collar of my shirt. “Hahaha, there’s no food there.” I carried him off my shoulder.

“Jaejoong?! What are you doing out there? Come inside~!” My mother called from the house. “Coming~!” I called back. I turned back to the small animals. “I have to go, but I’ll be back in the morning.” I promised, patting their furry heads. I stood up and picked up the bucket before heading back inside the house.

I am Kim Jaejoong, 17-years-old. I live on a farm with my mother and father on the outskirts of the fertility Kingdom. We aren’t the wealthiest family, but I like to think that we’re the happiest.

“Sometimes I wonder if you were born in the wrong family.” My mother began when I entered the house. “The way you behave with those animals is exactly the same way those princesses do in story books.” She went on. I rolled my eyes, “Ma, not this again.”

“I’m serious though. You spend more time with those animals than you do with actual people. You attract all sorts of animals like those princesses.” She said, placing two bowls of porridge on the small wooden table. I sat down at the table, shaking my head. “Mom, that just comes with the abilities we have from being born of the fertility kingdom.”

“Speaking of royalty.” She ignored me, sitting down in the chair across from me. “I heard that the crowned prince from the fire kingdom is coming again today>” She grinned. I didn’t respond and ate my porridge. “He’s been coming the past few months, buying herbs from herbal farms. I heard that he’s buying them for his father. Apparently, the king of the fire nation is sick.” She continued. “Do you think he’ll come by here today?” She questioned in thought.

Her eyes slightly widened. She looked at me in panic. “What if he does come? OH dear, I need to clean the house and change.” She jumped from her seat. “Ma, aren’t you going to ea-,” But she was gone before I could finish. I sighed. “Jaejoong, change into something nice!” She called from the other side of the small house. I shook my head and continued to eat my breakfast. I highly doubted that the fire prince would come all the way out here. It wasn’t worth the fuss. Especially over someone who isn’t even part of the kingdom.

I finished the rest of my breakfast, washed my dishes, and put my mother’s food away for her to eat later. I then went into my room and changed into my regular day clothes. I slipped on a pair of oversized pants that my mom sewed for me and wrapped a thin piece of rope around my waist to keep them up. Then I pulled on a knitted brown long sleeves V-neck, completed by a tattered mustard-colored kimono. I tied my hair back into a ponytail before finally leaving my room to tend to the day’s chores.

I was about to go back into the field when I spotted dishes left on the counter from when my mom made breakfast. I sighed and went back into the small kitchen to wash the dishes and tidied it up a little, in case my mother’s dream of the prince coming by, did happen to come true.

I washed the dishes, wiped down the counters and table, and swept and mopped the floor. “Mom! I cleaned the kitchen!” I called when I was done. I still found the idea of cleaning for an unreal visitor (especially a prince) ridiculous, but I didn’t want her to over work herself. She didn’t even eat breakfast. “Thank you~!” She called back. I shook my head for the nth time and left the kitchen. I was about to step back out onto the field, when there was a harsh knock on the door.

I furrowed my brow. We weren’t expecting any guests today. In fact, we hardly get any guests, unless it was family visiting for a special occasion. Could it be dad? But why would he knock on the door?

The harsh knock sounded again. I frowned, coming to the conclusion that it was just some jerk.

I dropped the tools in my hand and went to the front door.

“Hello?” I answered the door, surprised to find a young, tall handsome stranger in front of me. He looked about my age. He wore an all-black creased military-styled uniform, with two rows of four golden buttons each, and decorated golden shoulder pads. He had a pin of the fire nation’s crest proudly presented on the top left corner of his suit jacket.

I blinked in disbelief, staring at the pin. No way. I thought to myself. This had to be some sort of joke, or surprise. “Are you going to just stare at me? Or are you going to help me?”

I immediately snapped out of it as soon as he opened his mouth. I dragged my attention from the pin and looked up at him. “Pardon?”

“I need four large bundles of each herb on this list.” He shoved a piece of paper in my hand.

“Wh-,” “This should cover the cost.” He dropped 8 silver coins in my hand. I stared at my hand in disbelief, my jaw agape. Is he serious?

The prince eyed me up and down. His expression showing nothing but dubiety. “Are you sure you can handle the work? I need this done quickly with no mistakes.”

I scoffed in disbelief. “You gotta be kidding me.”

“What?”

“I said, take your stupid coins and list somewhere else.” I threw the items at him. He stumbled back in shock.

He looked at me, his eyes filled with rage. “Yah!” He snapped angrily. I ignored him, about to shut the door when he grabbed the handle, preventing me from doing so. “Yah! What do you think you’re doing?!” He spat.

“I turned down your sorry excuse of a request, and now I am shutting the door in your face.” I snarked. Unsurprisingly, my words angered him more. “Yah! Do you know who I am?!”

“Do you know who I am?” I retorted, catching him off guard.

“I am a human being and deserve to be spoken to and treated like one.” I told him. “Now get off my property.” I kicked his shin, forcing him to release the door. “OW!” He grabbed his leg in pain. I stole the opportunity and quickly shut the door, making sure to lock it. “Yahh!!” He banged on the door. “Open the door now!” I rolled my eyes, ignoring his hollering.

“What’s all that noise?” My mother quickly ran into the room. She was dressed in her best, hand-made, white floral gown. “Nothing.” I brushed off.

She scrunched her brow at me, then looked at the door. “Who’s at the door?” She put her hand on the doorknob and unlocked it. “Mom, no-,” She opened the door before I could stop her. She screeched when the prince suddenly fell on her.

My eyes widened. “Mom!”

The prince quickly stood up wide-eyed. “Mom, are you okay?” I quickly ran to her. “I-I’m fine.” She said, fixing her dress. She paused when she looked at the intruder. Her eyes grew large. “Y-You’re the fire prince.” She gasped. I glared at the jerk. “Apologize.” I demanded.

The tall prince stood there wide-eyed and panicked. I hardened my glare waiting for his apology. However, instead of apologizing, he fell to the ground and let out a loud groan. He held his shin in pain.

I rolled my eyes. He can’t be serious. My mom’s eyes grew wider. “Oh my gosh, are you okay?” She knelt down to his side. “Mom, He’s fine.” I folded my arms.

“Can you walk?” She ignored me. “Umma~~!”

“No, I can’t.” The prince groaned.

I rolled my eyes. This Jerk!

“What happened?” My mom asked in concern. “Your ugly daughter kicked me in the shin.” The prince whined.

My eyes shot wide. “You’re faking!” I accused. “Jaejoong!” My mom scolded. My jaw dropped in disbelief. Does she actually believe him? “Moom~. He called me ugly, and a girl!” But she ignored me and turned back to the prince. “Let me help you to the kitchen, so I can take care of your leg.” She offered. The Jerk Prince nodded. She helped him to his feet and brought him into the kitchen. I huffed before reluctantly following them.

My mother sat him down at the kitchen table and propped his leg on one of the chairs. I leaned my back against the opposing wall, my arms folded. “That’s not even the leg I kicked.” I muttered. She shot me a quick glare, overhearing me. She went to the sink and grabbed a washcloth, running it under the cold water.

The prince sent me a quick devious smile before my mother turned back around. She rolled up his pant leg and carefully folded the damp rag on his shin. “Are you hungry? I just made some porridge.” She offered with a kind smile.

The prince was about to decline but paused when he saw my angry expression. A smile danced back on his evil lips. “I would love some.” He accepted.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

My mom quickly grabbed the bowl of porridge I put away for her.

My eyes slightly widened. “Umma, but that’s yo-,”

“It’s a little cold.” She said handing him the bowl. “It’s okay. I can warm it up.” He smiled sweetly. He held the bowl between his palms. An orange-like glow emitted from his palms as he heated the bowl.

I scowled under my breath. I really couldn’t stand him, and we’ve only known each other for a few minutes.

My mother sat down in the seat across from him, her back toward me. “Thank you. You are very kind.” The prince thanked her.

“Oh~, it’s not a problem. It’s part of our nature, being from the fertility kingdom.” My mother brushed off. She was flattered. “Our people are naturally kind…well, most of us.” She sent me a short glare.

I scoffed in disbelief. I had officially been betrayed by my mother for some jerk prince.

“It’s okay. I understand.” The jerk smirked at me. I stuck my tongue at him.

“I’m Prince Yunho by the way. Crowned prince of the fire kingdom.” He introduced, holding his hand out for a handshake.

“It’s an honor to meet you your highness. I’m Kim Jihye, woman of the Kim household.” Mom shook his hand.

A short laugh escaped my lips at her self-proclaimed title. She used it whenever she wanted to make herself sound fancy.

“And this is my ugly daughter, Kim Jaejoong.” She gestured back to me.

I frowned. “Umma!”

“I’m sorry my husband isn’t here to greet you. He went to the market this morning to deliver some goods. I’m afraid he won’t be back until late tomorrow evening.” She pouted. “I’m also sorry for my son’s behavior, and for what he did to you. Is there anything that I can do to make it up to you?”

Prince Yunho thought carefully to himself. He took her words into deep consideration. I prayed for the slight chance that he wouldn’t want anything and would just leave.

“Actually, I have to leave back to my home kingdom tomorrow. But it took me a long time to get here. I don’t feel like going back to the inn that I was staying at. I rather save my energy. It would be nice if I could spend the night here.”

I was thrown off by the outlandish suggestion, “What?!”

“Of course!” My mother beamed. “Of course, you can stay. You can stay in Jaejoong’s room.”

“No!”

“Is there anything else you need?” She continued to ignore me.

“I came here to pick up some herbs.” The Prince of the jerks pulled out the crumpled piece of paper with his stupid list on it. He handed it to my mom. She studied the list closely. “I need four large bundles of each.” He informed her.

“We have all of these. We can certainly provide you with everything you need.” She smiled.

“Thank you. Let me pay you.” Prince Yunho offered, reaching in his pocket for his 8 measly coins. “Oh no! Don’t worry about it.” My mother immediately stopped him.

The jerk and I looked at her in shock.

“Please. You don’t have to pay us. We’ve cause you a lot of trouble already. I’ll give you the bundles for free.” She insisted. My shoulders dropped at her words.

Prince Yunho sat there shocked for a moment but shrugged it off, “Okay then.”

“Good.” My mom stood up from her seat. “You just sit here and finish your food. Jaejoong and I will go in the back and collect the herbs you need. Please call either one of us if you need anything.” She said.

The jerk prince nodded and began to eat his porridge. His eyes widened, shocked by how good it was.

“come on Joongie.” My mom waved, leaving the kitchen first. I sent the jerk one last glare before following her outside.

 

“Umma, why did you give him your food?” I questioned as we prepared to gather the herbs. “I can’t let my guests go hungry.” She defended.

I’m sure he wasn’t hungry. I thought to myself. “But what are you going to eat?”

“I’m fine Jaejoong. I’ll eat dinner.” She brushed off.

I frowned at this, not believing her. I sighed, “Why are you even gibing him this for free?” I turned back to my work, bending down to pick the herbs. “Because it’s best to be nice and because you kicked him.” She explained.

I looked at her, “How can you take his word for it? You didn’t even ask me.” I argued. She looked back at me as if to say ‘Seriously?’

“Jaejoong, I know you.” Was her simple response.

“You still didn’t ask me.” I defended.

She shook her head, “Fine. Did you kick the prince, my sweet Joongie?” She asked.

I huffed and turned away. “He deserved it.” I muttered.

She chuckled at this and knelt down to begin her work. “Plus…maybe, if we give

Please log in to read the full chapter