King of Hearts 1/2

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaejoong’s POV*

To my surprise, Yunho was able to keep up with his promises, probably because he was more concerned about my safety than anything else. And I had no way of arguing against him about it. I felt that he was more concerned about me leaving if he didn’t visit enough. However, his presence didn’t soothe any of my doubts and concerns. I made myself trust him anyway, in hopes that it might actually work out.

He was able to intercept his mother’s threats since he was around more often and that spared me the burden of reading or hearing them anymore.

Yunho told Nayoung about Sungha a few days after we returned to the Kingdom. She didn’t take it well. Yunho said that she hit him, throwing things at him and blamed him for it. But she later apologized to him. Yunho let me visit her to comfort her until she started visiting me on her own.

Youngmi also stayed to comfort her, despite not being close to any of us. She was strange, but she was still really helpful, and I was grateful for her. She and Nayoung ended up getting fairly close during her stay here. I didn’t know why she visited from the Snow Kingdom in the first place, but it was perfect timing. She brightened up the mood for everyone, even Changmin was somewhat intrigued by her.

A small funeral was held for Sungha by his family. Nayoung, Youngmi, Changmin, and I all attended. After the mourning period, Nayoung continued to visit me frequently. Apparently, she was also concerned about my safety.

 

“You shouldn’t worry about me,” I told her, getting a bit frustrated. She came to help me pick herbs and treat the garden in my backyard. However, she was pretty bad at it and didn’t have the patience for it. So, she just sat down and separated the herbs into their designated baskets.

“I don’t deserve it anyway,” I murmured, but she heard me anyway.

“Don’t talk like that!” She snapped. She became a little snappier the further she got in her pregnancy. “You almost had the same fate.”

“That doesn’t make me feel any better. It’s just not fair.” I confessed. Not that I wanted to be killed but why did it have to be him and not me? Who chooses these things? I felt guilty for it.

“You had it just as bad as him and worse than me. I lost him but you were kidnapped and trapped with his…” Her voice trailed off, her shoulders slumping.

“Let’s talk about something else,” I suggested.

“But you’re still my friend. You didn’t do anything wrong. I don’t want anything to happen to you too, or else I might really go crazy.” She continued anyway.

I didn’t respond and continued to work on the garden.

A few more months passed and Nayoung’s and Yunho’s son was born. He was named Sunghak, after Sungha. At that time the Queen’s threats stopped. It seemed as if her dream or plan was completed by the birth of her first-born grandson. Nayoung wanted me there, but I couldn’t bring myself to go.

Instead, I went with Changmin to the countryside to hand out medicines for a week. We even helped elderly couples with repairs to their houses. It was Changmin’s idea, and I was more than thankful for it. Especially since I couldn’t go to the Fertility Kingdom yet because of the lingering threat. It was healing and a great distraction. I couldn’t stop thanking Changmin for it, which only embarrassed him.

“I feel so lucky to have you as a friend Changmin,” I said as we sat on the front porch of his family’s country cabin. We enjoyed the cool winter breeze. “I wouldn’t have been able to make it through this without you, or any of it.”

“You would’ve been fine.” He brushed off, his ears seering red.

I chuckled, “I owe you for this.”

His eyes widened, “You don’t have to do that. I did this…I did this because…” He bit his lip.

I waited for him to continue but he only played with his fingers.

I smiled, “You don’t have to tell me, but I still owe you.’ I ruffled his hair. He only gave me a small smile.

 

 

A year passed and Yunho’s coronation finally came. I was surprised to find that I was invited to the ceremony that morning.

I ran straight to Changmin’s house, hurriedly knocking on the door.

He answered seconds later. He looked at me wide-eyed seeing me breathe heavily, “What’s wrong?”

I showed him the invitation, “I was invited.”

He looked at me confused, “Why do you want to go?” He’d grown more and more against supporting and waiting for Yunho.

“I don’t’ want to go alone.” I pleaded him with my eyes.

He reluctantly sighed, “Fine. Just get ready. I’ll meet you at your house.”

I nodded and ran back to my place. I shoved through my closet pulling out a red linen kimono wrapped with a black obi, made of special material. The shoulders were stiffly plated with sharp black shoulder pads, unique to fire kingdom traditional wear. Yunho had bought it for me when I first moved here.

I quickly changed and pinned my hair back as best I could in the short period, I had to get ready.

By the time I finished, Changmin was already outside, sitting in a large black and gold carriage. I hesitated toward the fancy ride, but he waved me to hurry inside.

“Wh-What is this?” I said climbing inside. It was spacious with off-white walls and cushioned seats on both sides. I sat down across from him. Changmin shrugged.

“I figured we’d take this since I’m sure there will be a lot of so-called important people there…and it’d be faster than walking. You’d end up missing the entire thing.” He murmured avoiding eye contact.

I raised a curious eyebrow. He suddenly shoved an armful of clothing in my hands. It was a brilliant satin black kimono with shimmering gold designs embroidered all over the wide sleeves. The back was covered by large flowers which I recognized as the ancient flowers that only grew in the Fire Kingdom. It was a design only worn by nobles since it was more expensive to buy. He handed me other pieces of clothing that I couldn’t recognize.

“Put these on.” He instructed.

I stared at the expensive material and jewelry on my lap. “I-I can’t wear this.”

“You have to.” He insisted, “I don’t think you should go to this thing in the first place, but you seemed excited to go.” His shoulders fell a little, but he quickly perked back up.

“But you can’t go there looking like someone’s servant.” He suddenly spat.

“The Queen will lose her absolute power in a few hours, so you have to rub it in her face. Even though you didn’t get to marry that jerk you have to show that you’re not afraid of her. That she hasn’t won.” He continued, “Make her angry.”

I was taken by surprise by his ambition toward the queen. But I couldn’t help but feel somewhat thrilled by the idea, “You’re right.”

It was a small gesture, but even so it would feel nice to get back at her, even if for a little bit where she couldn’t do anything about it without looking foolish. Changmin smiled widely at this.

He helped me change into the noble traditional attire, which ended up being more complicated than I anticipated. He also helped me pin my hair up and put the hair pins and jewelry in it. He did most of the work since I couldn’t see what I was doing, and he seemed to know what he was doing.

We arrived at the palace quicker than I expected. I stiffened as soon as we pulled up to the palace gates. The driver opened the door, but I didn’t move.

“It’ll be fun.” Changmin suddenly said. I glanced at him nervously, but he smiled at me. I quickly looked away feeling a bit embarrassed. He laughed and stepped out the carriage first.

I squeezed my eyes shut muttering a quick prayer before reopening them and stepping out of the carriage. It was a far more difficult task than I imagined. The outfit Changmin gave me had several layers to it.

“I’ve never worn so many layers before,” I remarked pressing the fabric down after stumbling out the carriage doors.

“That’s why it being a noble. The higher class you are, the more layers you should ear.” Changmin muttered.

The carriage left as soon as we walked away from it.

“But I’m not…” however, Changmin walked ahead of me to the gate. I struggled to keep up with his fast pace.

“Here, take the invitation,” I said as we approached the guards since he was head of me.

He stopped in front of the guards and waited for me to catch up. However, before I could take out the letter. Changmin pulled out an invitation from inside his kimono. It was a golden letter.

He showed it to the guards, and they immediately bowed and opened the gate for us. I looked at the younger in confusion, but he held out his arm to me. He smiled, seemingly excited, which only made me more confused. I slowly wrapped my arm around his anyway.

“You had an invitation?” I asked when we entered the gates.

“Obviously, I’m a noble here. I always get invited to these things, though it’s more of a mistake since my father doesn’t live here anymore.” He shrugged, “I figured I’d use mine. Yours will get you a spot in the back, while mine will get you a front-row seat.”

“F-Front row?”

He nodded somewhat prideful, but this only made me more nervous.

Between the gate and castle stairs was a long wide concrete platform where special ceremonies were held. It was at least over a hundred meters long and over a hundred meters wide. Several prominent families were seated in their assigned spots sitting on top of red and gold cushions. Families of the palace’s servants and knights were also there, seated near the back half of the audience.

The concrete platform was lined with tall red, black, and gold flags and lanterns. A taller more decorated platform was set up in front of the castle entrance. Queen Jung was sat at the top of the larger platform along with two fire kingdom priests, Junsu’s parents, and Yoochun’s parents all dressed in their richest attire.

Musicians played music just below them where a line of dancers performed ribbon dances. I was in awe of the festiveness. However, that soon faded the closer we walked to the front as more and more people stared at us. I noticed that we were the only ones wearing black, white, and gold.

We continued to follow the ushers until we were seated right behind the row of advisors. The advisors filled the front most rows on both sides of the aisles. We were right behind them with a few other families that stared at us.

I turned to Changmin curiously. He stared forward bored. I narrowed my eyes at him. “How prominent did you say your family was?” I whispered.

He cocked an eyebrow and shrugged. I frowned; he wasn’t going to get out f this so easily.

Before I could say anything the music suddenly stopped. I quickly faced forward. The priest was now standing at the front of the platform.

“The princess has arrived. Please stand to welcome Princess Nayoung.” He announced. The entire congregation stood and faced the aisle.

 

 

 

 

 

*Third Person POV*

Dancers in shimmering gold short dresses twirled down the concrete aisle, their dresses fluttering around them. They moved gracefully as the musicians played a slower song. The bells around their bare ankles jingled to the melody. They smiled enchantingly to the audience on either side of them.

A large open golden palanquin followed behind them.  Nayoung was sat in the middle, dressed in an all-red layered junihitoe lined with gold. Her silk black hair was rushed down her back and shoulders. A thin golden band was wrapped around her head with the fire Kingdom emblem in the center, the crown of the Fire Kingdom’s princess.

Jaejoong stared at her in awe, “She’s gorgeous.” He whispered. Changmin only shrugged next to him.

Nayoung kept a stern face, staring straight forward. However, she glanced to her side once and immediately spotted Jaejoong. She leaned slightly forward to get a better look at him before breaking out into a wide smile. She waved eagerly at him. Jaejoong waved back with the same amount of enthusiasm but quickly stopped when the advisors looked back.

The palanquin was lowered at the front of the taler platform. Nayoung was helped off the palanquin by nearby servants and was guided up the long stairway. She sat down on the opposite end of Queen Jung.  The golden-dressed dancers continued their performance in front of the tall platform before moving to the sides where the first set of dancers stood.

The music transitioned into a much slower pulsing beat dominated by the drums. The priest stood up in front again. “Please continue to stand for the arrival of the crowned prince.”

The audience quickly turned to the side again in much eagerness.

A group of knights marched down the aisle followed by four sets of 5 drummers. Behind the drummers were men dressed only in black baggy pants, performing vario

Please log in to read the full chapter