Beautiful Target

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

“As you know, people from the Fertility kingdom are born with special abilities that coordinate with the nature of our kingdom. The same goes for other kingdoms. For example, those from the fire kingdom can produce flames from their bodies and those from the water kingdom can control any form of water that’s around them. This applies to the Snow, Earth, Sunshine, and Celestial kingdom as well.”

Iseul’s head bobbed a little as she forced herself to stay awake. I nudged her again when her eyes threatened to close. A slight groan escaped her lips.

“Our abilities are extremely unique compared to other kingdoms and can easily be taken advantage of if not careful enough. That is why we must be disciplined in our learnings in order to keep the balance throughout the rest of the world. This is why we stay out of the affairs of the 5 larger kingdoms of the Fire, Sunshine, Snow, water, and Earth. Like us, the Celestial kingdom does the same.”

“Why are we talking about things we learned when we were kids?’ Iseul grumbled slightly to herself. I chuckled seeing as she was growing frustrated from keeping herself awake.

“Our ability allows us to improve the quality of life to any living being. We can make the land underneath us fertile enough to grow plants. We can assist the quality of growth in the plants we grow and can even heal small cuts or wounds. Many, if not all, of you are aware of this and have plenty of practice with these gifts back at home, since you were young. And many of you fertile males are aware of your extra ability in reproducing than non-fertile males.” The instructor studied her half-energetic students.

“But those are only the basics of your abilities. I’m pretty sure most of you have tried to push the boundaries of what you know and can do. That’s okay. That’s natural. We’re all curious beings. However, it can become dangerous if you’re not careful. She stopped pacing the room.

“In the next part of our course, I’m going to teach you the amazing things we can do with our abilities and the safest ways to experiment with them. However, the first few lessons will be spent reviewing the basics of what you can already do. The basics are the most important part to mastering and controlling your abilities. So, I hope you all will manage to stay awake for those lessons.” She sent sharp glares to the guilty students that fell asleep or were on the verge of falling asleep, including Iseul.

“That is all for today’s class. Make sure you complete your reading. You have a quiz tomorrow.” At her words all 10 students jumped from their seats and quickly left the small classroom.

 

“Finally!” Iseul jumped outside, embracing the warm sunlight at beamed down on her porcelain skin. She closed her eyes, inhaling and exhaling the outdoor breeze. “How can you fall asleep during a class that your parents paid a lot of money for you to attend.?” I questioned, still unable to comprehend the logic.

Iseul comes from one of the most prominent noble families in the kingdom. Her parents paid for her and me to take classes taught by one of the palace’s top instructors. The classes were held in a small single classroom building not far from the palace. Only a few, lucky students got to attend.

“Aren’t you afraid to fail and get in trouble?”

“Of course, not.” The 16-year-old brushed off. “That’s why I have you to help me. The top student in our class.” She hugged my arm, flashing her pretty smile.

I shook my head, “Are you using me now?”

“Of course not.” She pouted, “You’re my best friend. Best friends always help each other out, and they help each other prepare for tomorrow’s quiz.” She quickly added the last half.

I laughed at her and shook my head once more. “Fine. I don’t have work today so I can help.” I gave in.

Her face lit up. “Great! We can study at my house. We can make some snacks with what we practice. It’ll be so much fun.” She beamed. It was obvious that she already had this planned out, but I didn’t mind. I always enjoyed myself whenever I was with her.

“Hey!” Someone called from a distance.

Before I could turn around, someone jumped on my back. “You weren’t going to leave without saying hi to me first, were you?” The mischievous voice pouted in my ear before climbing off my back to greet Iseul with a tight hug.

Iseul and I were both surprised to see him. “Don’t you have lessons?” I questioned.

“Ugh, Joongie, don’t worry about that~.” The prince whined lightly hitting my arm. I shook my head, not understanding either of my two friends.

Iseul and Jiyong were my closest friends. My mother used to work as a nanny for the noble Yoo family, which was how I met Iseul. My mother was her nanny, and she used to always take me with her to work before we started school. Iseul and I got along almost instantly and have been friends since we were toddlers. And still hung out with each other after my mother quit being a nanny to help my father work on the farm.

I didn’t meet Jiyong until much later. Iseul met the prince at a couple of royal functions that the palace had, and the two became close. Iseul invited me to go with her to one of these functions where she introduced me to the young prince. The pre-teen was extremely energetic and was determined to be my friend. I was more reserved than him, but he eventually grew on me and the three of us became a tight trio of friends.

Despite our closeness, I still questioned the oddity of our friendship. We are all different in our own extremes and had our own different standards of life. Iseul’s and Jiyong’s were the most similar. Mine is completely different. I live in a completely different world from them.

“I don’t have much time before they find out I’m gone. I came here to find out what happened.” Prince Jiyong grinned cheekily.

Iseul and I looked at him in confusion. “About what?” Iseul was the one to ask.

“Prince Yunho went to Jaejoong’s house the other day, and I think he stayed the night, because he never returned to the palace.” The fertile prince explained excitedly.

Iseul’s eyes widened. “Prince Yunho? You mean, the fire prince?” She repeated.

Jiyong nodded vigorously.

“How did you know he went to my house the other day?” I questioned suspiciously.

The 16-year-old paused for a moment before a clear smile etched his lips. “Well~, as you guys probably already know, Yunho comes every other month to pick up herbs for his father. And he stays at the hotel by the palace as a guest. So~, I told him to go to your farm this time. I gave him the directions to where it is and that he would not regret going there. Of course, I didn’t tell him that the most beautiful person in the kingdom lived there. So, I bet he was super surprised to see you.” He winked.

I frowned at him. This was his doing?!

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at his ironic plan. It was nothing like that.

“So? What happened? How did it go? Did you guys fall in love? Do you like him? Of course you do. I bet he liked you too.” The young prince bombarded me with a million and one questions, not giving me the chance to answer.

Iseul furrowed her brow in thought. “Isn’t Prince Yunho mean though?” She spoke up. “Why would Jae like him?”

Bingo!

Jiyong stopped in the middle of his questionnaire. “Those are just rumors. Deep down he has a heart.” He defended.

Iseul and I looked at each other then back at the prince, not believing a single word that came from his mouth.

He let out a defeated sigh, “Okay, fine. He is mean and pretty scary. But he does have a heart…deep…deep…deep down…somewhere.” He muttered.

“Look, I’m sure your intentions were good. And I appreciate that. But please do not send him to my place ever again. He was horrible.” I broke it to him as nicely as possible. “I never want to see that jerk again. Never Ever.”

The younger pouted at my words.

“Besides, I don’t want to be set up with anyone. I’m not interested in being in a relationship. I don’t plan on being one in the near or far future. I just want to stay home and help my parents out on the farm. They’re all I need.” I gave him a small smile, patting his shoulder. “But Thanks anyway.”

Nonetheless, this did not please him. “You two would’ve been cute together.” He muttered in defeat, knowing that there was no convincing me otherwise.

 

After that we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways before the prince could get caught.

“Was it really that bad?” Iseul asked curiously as we walked to her home.

I nodded, “I didn’t think I was going to survive the night. But I’m so glad that won’t have to ever see that jerk again.” I sighed, relieved by the fact.

The younger chuckled at this, “You know, you’ve always been hard to please.” She noted. “You’ve turned down every person that’s tried to court you, no matter what theirstatus was.” She recalled.

“It’s not a matter of being pleased. I just have other priorities.” I corrected. “More important ones.”

Iseul shrugged.

This was probably the largest difference between my friends and I. The two of them were dreamers and believed in the fairytales they grew up with. I was more practical and realistic. Of course, that doesn’t mean I don’t dream from time to time. I just have different desires, and different goals.

 

 

 

2 Months Later…

 

 

“Our crops are flourishing this season.” My father smiled after we finished working the land early that morning. I dropped my arm over his shoulders, giving him a light side hug. “That’s because my Appa is the best farmer in town.” I complimented proudly only to receive a chuckle in response. “Or, I was just blessed with an extraordinary gifted son.” He corrected.

I shook my head, removing my arm. “I’m only applying the things I learned from class.” I walked to the other side of the field and knelt down on the ground by a patch of herbs. “Which isn’t much different from what you and Umma taught me.”

My father walked to me. He knelt down close next to me. “You really do have a gift. Nature responds to you extremely well, much better than I’ve seen with anyone else.” He explained. “The animals all adore you and the plants respond well to your touch.” He pointed out the small critters that hid in the distance watching us.

“They’re waiting for me to bring them food.” I chuckled.

I stood from the ground, my father doing the same. “Don’t discredit yourself or the gifts you were given.” He shook his finger at me.

“Yes Appa.” I chuckled.

He smiled looking amongst the land beyond us. He placed his hands on his hips his content smile growing even more. “I really have been blessed with a gifted and wonderful son and an amazing harvest.” He stated proudly.

“I think the universe was just making up for the fact that you ended up with mom.” I teased joking. He laughed in response. “Speaking of the devil, where is your mother?”

I shrugged, “She went out to show off the new dress she made and bragged about how well our crops are growing.” I knelt down to pick up the equipment we finished using.

My father shook his head, no in the least surprised. “Don’t worry about those. I’ll put them away.” He took the tools from my hand. “I’ll get us some well-deserved iced drinks.” I said and headed off inside first.

 

I slipped off my shoes and washed my hands. When I entered the kitchen, a loud knock sounded from the front door.

I furrowed my brow. We weren’t expecting any visitors today, unless it was my mom. “I got it!” I called to my father before walking up to the wooden door.

 

“Hel-,” A scream escaped my lips as soon as I opened the door. I instantly slammed the door shut.

“Jae are you okay?” My father called from the back.

“Y-Yeh! I’m fine. I…I just saw a really big…ugly roach.” I called back earning a fit of laughter from him.

My heart pounded in my chest. This can’t be real. I squeezed my eyes shut. Please, please, please don’t be real. Please don’t be real. I prayed repeatedly before reopening my eyes.

I slowly opened the door again.

“Did you just call me a roach??”

An agonizing groan escaped my lips. Why is He here? Why? Why? Whyyyy?? “What are you doing here?” I whispered.

“I came for more herbs.” The jerk answered as if it were obvious.

“There are plenty of other farms. Why did you come back here?! Did Prince Jiyong send you?” I scolded in a whisper.

“No. I cane for more herbs. Are you going to give them to me or not?” He folded his arms impatiently.

I snarled at him. “Leav

Please log in to read the full chapter