Where Are We Now?

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaejoong’s POV*

I folded the last of my clothes. I tied the long round bag shut, double and triple knotting it. I slung it over my shoulder and walked out the front door where my horse Fiona was waiting for me. I smiled, patting her beautiful soft white main. She nuzzled gently into my touch. Something about our interaction was soft and warm. A familiar feeling that hadn’t felt in a while. A feeling I missed.

“Are you ready for our trip?” I caressed her long neck, to which she cocked her head upward, letting out an enthusiastic neigh. “Me too.” I smiled bittersweetly. I was about to strap the bag onto her back when I spotted a red envelope on the ground.

I frowned at the letter. I had been receiving these red envelopes every week for the past 6 months. At first, I was excited by the sight of them, hoping each time they were from Yunho. However, it was always from his mother or from a palace official under the order from the Queen. They were always threats, threatening to take my house away or revoke my rights in running the shop if I didn’t succumb to her commands. It was as if the wedding and the consummation of the prince and now princess weren’t enough for her. And it wasn’t.

Citizens still talked and spread rumors. She wanted this to be a perfect stainless union. In order for that to happen she needed me gone. But I’d have to leave on my own for it to seem like a clear drama-free separation. To make it seem like it was all just a fling. So, she tried to scare me. She even sent guards to the shop to scare me to leave, but Changmin was always there as witness and they were forced to leave quietly.

However, I knew it wasn’t going to last long. She’ll eventually result to force and clean up the consequences later. And I was losing confidence. It had been 6 months since the wedding and a total of 8 months since I last spoke to Yunho.

He never sent me a letter, nor did he send Yoochun or Junsu a message when they came to visit me. But, I still read the letters hoping that at least one of them would be from him.

I knelt down and picked up the envelope. I hesitantly reached for the flap, silently praying, pleading that this was the one.

“Jaejoong!” A breathless Changmin ran up to me holding a small bag in his hands.

I smiled at the sight of him. We became close and he became one of the most precious people to me in the short time we’ve known each other. I was surprised by how much he helped me the past several months, but I was grateful for it and even happier that he was opening up more.

“I thought I missed you.” He breathed heavily.

“I wasn’t going to leave without saying bye to you first.” I assured him.

He paused, staring at the letter in my hand, “Is that from the palace?”

I didn’t respond.

“You should let me collect all the letters she’s sent you. I can compile them and expose her at the perfect time.” He said again, much too invested in the idea.

“I told you I don’t want to fight her.” I reminded but he gave me a disapproving frown, “And let her get away with everything she’s done to you?”

“What would fighting lead to?” I argued. “Maybe…maybe it’s better if I just move back home.” I sighed, nearly convinced by the idea. It was all starting to get exhausting. What was the point anyway?

I quickly shook my head, not wanting to think about it. “I should get going.” I straightened up.

“Do your parents know you’re visiting?”

I shook my head. It was mor r of a spur of the moment idea in an eager attempt for something familiar and peaceful again. I wouldn’t have had time to send them a letter, but I know it will be a pleasant surprise for the both of us.

“What are you going to do if they ask about the prince?” He asked quietly.

I paused unable to give a sure answer. I’d been thinking about that for the past few days wracking my brain for ideas. There was no way I could tell them the truth. They’d be disappointed, worried and hurt. But how could I lie to them, especially if I had no idea what mine and Yunho’s future was going to be like? I had to find something in the middle. But that proved to be more difficult.

“You can tell them that I’m your new boyfriend.” Changmin beamed cheekily.

I chuckled at the silly idea. “I’m not gonna use you because I’m afraid to tell my parents the truth.”

He shrugged and sighed, “You shouldn’t go alone anyway.” He said in disappointment pout making him look adorable.

I ruffled his hair, “I told you, you can come next time, it’s only gonna be a short trip.”

“But you’re a Fertile male. You shouldn’t travel alone.” He insisted.

I rolled my eyes, “I’ll be fine.”

But he frowned not convinced. “Besides I won’t be alone the entire trip. I’m meeting with Sungha at the Sunshine Kingdom. He has to pass through the Fertility Kingdom to get to the Earth Kingdom, so we agreed to meet up and travel together till we reach the Fertility Kingdom.” I assured him. But this didn’t seem to assure him one bit.

“Here.” I handed him the envelope, “You can collect the letters she sends while I’m gone.”

He stared at the letter, “What if it’s from him?”

I forced a smile, “I doubt it’s him.” I looked down at the envelope. “Honestly, I don’t really want to know who it’s from anymore.” I kept my voice as strong as possible and forced myself to meet Changmin’s shocked eyes. “The more I wait without hearing from him the more distant I feel. The more it feels like he belongs to someone else.” I laughed a little to myself, “Besides, what would I say to him if he asks to meet? I honestly don’t think I could face him even though it’s been months.” I confessed my eyes stinging, “Besides, I don’t want to be disappointed.”

He frowned, “Let me go with you.” He insisted.

“I need to be alone and think to myself. I won’t be alone the entire trip anyway.”

“I don’t have to pack anything. I’ll leave right now. I’ll-,”

“Please Changmin. You’ve done a lot for me already. I don’t want to burden you.” I tried but he wasn’t having it. I chuckled anyway and gave him a ug. His body stiffened in my embrace but soon relaxed.

“Do you have your sword?” He questioned as I climbed on top of my horse Fiona. I nodded, patting the sheath at my hip. He inspected me, not fully convinced but couldn’t do anything.

“I’ll write you when I meet Sungha, then I’ll write you when I get home.” I promised.

“You better.” He huffed, blowing the fringes out his face. I chuckled and waved him farewell before hitting the reins. I wasn’t looking forward to the long trip, but I was excited to go home, back to where things made sense.

 

*Changmin’s POV*

Work at the shop was slow. I thought I could do it alone, but I guess I was wrong. Most of the people that came, left without buying anything when they saw that Jaejoong wasn’t here. It was disgusting. Were they only interested in how he was handling the marriage? Or were they waiting for him to spill all the details? My frown deepened in distastes. If it was up to me, I’d ban all of them from stepping foot inside the shop.

“Hey! I know you!” Someone exclaimed snapping me out of my thoughts. I immediately felt irritated by the intruding energy. However, when I looked up I didn’t recognize her at all.

“Finally, somebody I recognize. How have you been?” She sauntered up to the counter, leaning against the marble in a leisure fashion. However, she didn’t wait for a response and eyed the small shop. “So this is the renowned herbal shop ran by the Great Jaejoong.” She remarked airly.

I narrowed my eyes at her. Something was oddly familiar but unfamiliar about her. She had long deep thick jet-black wavy hair that barely fit underneath her oversized fur hood of her cloak. Her light blue cloak draped over her body lined with pale purple fur. Her eyes were deceptively brown but shown more violet under the direct contact of light. She wore several clear, blue, and gold jewels on her fingers and ears.

There was an extravagant but simple aura about her. She wore overbearing confidence but an even larger smile. It wasn’t until I spotted the Snow Kingdom emblem on one of her rings when I realized who she might be. She was Lee Youngmi, the highest concubine of the snow kingdom. We only spoke once, but somehow, she remembered me? Everyone knew who she was and besides, she’d be the only person from the Snow Kingdom who’d dare come here outside of special occasions. The Snow Kingdom and Fire kingdom weren’t really friendly with each other.

“What are you doing here?” I asked actually surprise that she came and found this place.

“After I heard what happened I had to come here and find out for myself.” She said as if it were obvious.

I frowned in disapproval and disappointment. I was ready to kick her out when she spoke again. “And to run away a little.”

I only looked at her not caring to know why she wanted to run away but she went on anyway. “I think I’m pregnant.” She whispered.

I stared at her unimpressed. She let out an amused sigh with underlying irritation. “The king already has a son from another woman.” She said.

I cocked an eyebrow, knowing well that the Snow King hadn’t married yet. “And that woman has been giving us hell. Who knows what she’ll do when she finds out that he’s having another kid.” She sneered.

I frowned even more unimpressed. These kingdoms were filled with nothing but lying hypocrites and bigots. I felt myself work angrily on the herbs.

“I came here to figure out what I should do. Should I live with my child in the palace? Or What if that woman gets what she wants? Should I run away? Or should I separate myself from him to protect him?” Her voice trailed as she studied me curiously. I just tuned her out. I didn’t want to hear about her problems. Besides, why is she asking me? What help could I even give. It’s her fault for getting involved with the King. “Is your mom nice to you?” She suddenly asked.

I froze in the middle of my work. I narrowed my eyes at her, but she wasn’t looking at me. Instead she stared at the counter running her fingers along it.

“How do you know about my mom?” My hand trembled.

She tilted her head, “I knew you wouldn’t remember me. My grandmother works for you.” She said.

I furrowed my brow. “Ms. Haewon?”

She nodded, “But aren’t you a noble?”

“Of course I am. But that’s a complicated story. Anyway, my mom used to send me to stay with my grandmother over the summer when I was a kid.” She continued.

My eyes slowly widened, now remembering that Ms. Haewon sometimes brought a girl with her. I never spoke to her though. But that didn’t explain how she knew about my mother. My fingers formed into fists. “Did Ms. Haewon tell you?” My teeth gritted.

She laughed somehow amused by the thought, “I heard your father talking about it with his wife, and then I did my own digging. Your mother is the high esteemed Queen of the ferocious Fire Kingdom.” She said mockingly followed by a fit of laughter as if the words tickled her,” And your father was the wealthiest man in the nation aside from the royal family. He owned the most successful business in the nation. Apparently the two of them were together before your mother was engaged to the late king.” She noted curiously.

I scoffed physically disgusted by the notion.

“Which was why your mother came to him for her to so-called revenge plan. Her plan that required having you…” She tiled her head curiously.

I frowned, “Stop calling her that. She’s not my mom and he’s not my dad!” I spat, but she continued anyway.

“But I guess something went wrong with her plan, so she abandoned you two out of shame. Or maybe something went right and she no longer needed you.” She paused, “I wonder what sort of plan she had for you.”

I didn’t respond. What was the whole point of her telling me things I already knew. Was she just rubbing it in? Why did she come where with her problems and then talk about mine?! I grew angrier by the thought.

“I guess I’ll keep my child with me and fight the consequences. No one can do anything to me anyway.” She tightened her firsts.

I was getting ready to kick her out when she spoke again, “Aren’t politics so complicated?” She

Please log in to read the full chapter