Sakura

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

The month went by faster than I planned. Faster than I expected. I really thought that a month would be a perfect amount of time, I even considered that we might’ve gotten tired of each other. But it was the opposite. There was always something new to do. Even the things that we did more than once felt like a new experience.

Though, he didn’t like it, Jaejoong got used to me hiding my identity. However, he declared that wearing a hood wasn’t enough and that someone was bound to recognize me. So, he picked out Akio and Asuka masks for us to wear, keeping the Asuka mask for himself.

I didn’t like it.

I could hardly see his face.

On the other hand, he enjoyed it and made it into some kind of game, which I couldn’t help but take some pleasure in as well.

Yoochun and Junsu unfortunately joined us. Jaejoong was glad at every chance they got to come by.

Yoochun and Junsu somehow found out about Hajun, in which Jaejoong accused me of telling them, for whatever reason. But Yoochun and Junsu assured us that the rumors never reached the palace.

“Ah~, Hajun? He has a crush on Yunho.” Junsu recalled the night it was brought up.

We were all sat on the floor of the hotel room, eating the snacks Yoochun brought from his Aunt’s sauna. It was storming all day, thwarting our plans of going out. But the three of them were completely fine with it, coming up with weird games that they used to play with their families as kids on rainy days.

“He’s known as the prettiest noble in the entire country.” Yoochun recalled from his mental bank of useless knowledge. “But he’s the sliest snake anyone has ever met. I’m sure he’s responsible for not letting the rumors get far, it’d only embarrass him more than anything else.” He added with approval. “He reminds me of Jaejoong.”

“I know you have a side like that. I bet it’s even worse than Hajun.” Yoochun responded to Jaejoong’s silent objection.

“Everyone has a side like that. You just don’t get as triggered as easily. Just look back at what happened with Hajun. You obviously didn’t care about finding out the truth when you approached them. You just wanted to have the upper hand over him and put him in his place.” Yoochun broke it down to him.

Junsu took his words into consideration and nodded in agreement.

“Unlike Yunho who acts like an angry barbarian, you’re much more senile when you’re truly upset or in this case, jealous.” Yoochun continued.

I ignored his insult but completely agreed with the rest of what he said.

Jaejoong opened his mouth to argue, but he couldn’t come up with anything. Yoochun raised an eyebrow at this.

“I’m not like that.” Jaejoong finally said.

Yoochun shrugged unconvinced.

“And wipe that stupid smile off your face like you’re scheming something.” Jaejoong suddenly scolded me, taking me off guard.

I scoffed in response, feeling like a child who’d gotten caught by his parents.

Yoochun laughed, “Prince Yunho has truly become a er.”

I glared at him only to receive his irritating wink.

 

 

The rest of the month continued just like that, of fun and warm moments. Sometimes Jaejoong and I argued, but it was never over anything serious. That’s just how our relationship was. That’s how it’s always been. The only difference from before was that he was mine and I was his and it became easier to express my feelings to him, and now that I started, I couldn’t stop. I wanted to give him everything, tell him everything, do everything. But my time was limited, and it quickly ran out.

 

It was the last night of the month. We decided to go to bed early since we had to wake up before dawn to set out for our long trip to the Fertility Kingdom. I was glad that I could spend a little more time with him, but I already wasn’t looking forward to the trip back.

 

It was late into the night when there was an urgent knock on the door. I ignored it at first, but the knock persisted until I finally gave in. I was surprised to be met with a frightened Junsu.

“Your father wants to speak to you.” His voice was grave.

As much as I wanted to turn him away, his acute demeanor was enough to tell me that something was seriously wrong. “I’ll be there.”

I shut the door and quickly changed my clothes and put on my cloak. I knelt down at Jaejoong’s side of the bed. He was sleeping soundlessly, a gentle smile left on his lips. Ii carefully brushed his hair from his face. “I’ll be right back.”

I stood up and left the room.

Junsu followed behind me.

“Stay here.” I ordered.

“Huh?”

“Stay here.” I handed him the room key. “make sure no one finds him.”

His eyes widened, “But-,”

I walked away not allowing him to finish. I doubted my parents found out about him, but my subconscious wouldn’t allow me to leave him alone.

 

It was a while before I finally reached the palace. I was surprised to find that the palace walls were heavily guarded and even more shocked by the commotion of servants running around throughout the palace. Some of them were huddle amongst each other whispering in hushed groups. They immediately broke up when I passed them. They all watched me with sad and frightful eyes.

It didn’t make sense, but I was beginning to grow uneasy.

I found him in his study. He was never anywhere else in the palace. He was always in the throne room, his study, or at the training grounds. I rarely saw him go anywhere else. I was convinced that he even slept in the study. Whenever he wasn’t in those areas, he was in the city doing whatever work that was required of him there.

He didn’t acknowledge me when I entered the room. In fact, he didn’t look in my direction at all. He sat, staring out the opened window from behind his desk.

I only had a view of his side profile. His skin was pale, and his hair was let down and barely wet. His skin seemed to glisten around the edges of his face and neck as if he’d been sweating.

I furrowed my brow.

That was when I noticed the 2 stacks of small empty bowls at his desk. I knew what it was.

It was medicine.

He never ate or drank in his study.

He turned to me when I sat in the cushioned seat across from him. Despite his pale appearance his eyes were as fierce and stern as normal.

“You called for me?”

He nodded for a while before speaking.

“I heard that you’re going to the Fertility Kingdom tomorrow to pick up herbs.”

I studied him hard, “Is that what you called me for?”

He let out a tired sigh, “You won’t be able to make those trips anymore.” He finally said.

My eyes widened at his sudden declaration.

I balled my fists, feeling betrayed, anger quickly rising within me.

“My health is getting worse Yunho.”

I my anger dissipated at the meaning behind his words.

He was diagnosed with a terminal illness a few years ago. The herbs we needed to keep him strong and healthy didn’t grow in the Fire Kingdom and was only found in the Fertility Kingdom. I was sent every other month to fetch the herbs for his medicine.

Despite his illness, my father was still as ferocious as before even as his health deteriorated, he was good at hiding it. So, it was both weird and uncomfortable seeing him this way.

“You’ll have to stay in the Kingdom and focus on your duties and work for-,” He suddenly coughed, hacking into his handkerchief.

“There’ll be new lessons for you to focus on and new responsibilities for you to take on for preparation.”

I gripped my pants, swallowing my anger and disappointment. I wanted to argue, but against what? What could I argue? I had to say…in case anything happened.

“You don’t have to worry about sending anyone trustworthy. I have people I trust.” He continued. He was talking about Junsu’s parents. He doesn’t trust anyone but them.

“Just let me make one last trip to the fertility kingdom tomorrow.” I requested.

He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a harsh cough. He let out an irritated grunt. “Yunho I-,”

“Please.” I pleaded.

He narrowed his eyes at me.

I held his stare, silently begging him.

“Fine.” He gave in.

I sighed in relief. “Thank you.” I whispered subconsciously.

He raised an eyebrow. He continued to study me under his suspicious stare, but thankfully he didn’t ask any questions. “I’ll let you go, so you can rest for your trip.” He finally dismissed me.

I quickly stood up. I bowed to him and left the room, wanting to get back to the hotel as soon as possible.

I was relieved that I was able to make the trip back to the Fertility Kingdom, it felt like it’s been forever since I’ve been there, and I was looking forward to going back. But I was not prepared for my return home. I won’t be able to come back. Something crumbled within me. How am I supposed to see him now?

I wasn’t angry about it. It was inevitable. Honestly, I’d completely forgotten about my father’s illness. He never showed any signs of weakness or sickness. This was the first time he even looked relatively sick. And it…it felt weird. He didn’t look good and it gave me an uncomfortable feeling that I wanted to go away.

 

 

When I returned to the hotel, Junsu left. He and Yoochun will return tomorrow morning with the wagon.

Jaejoong was still fast asleep, but was his side, facing me.

I laid on the bed facing him as well.

The month was nearly over, and I only had a few more weeks with him after that. Then, I don’t know when I’ll see him again. I couldn’t bear the thought of it.

What the heck am I going to do?

 

 

 

-

 

 

The next morning, we woke up early as planned. Jaejoong woke up first. I was reluctant but forced myself out the bed.

Jaejoong had been happy preparing for our leave and gathering the last of his belonging. It was obvious that he was excited to go back home. Though he never said it, I knew he missed his parents. He’d never been this far from his parents, nor had he ever been this far from home. He bought them a ton of souvenirs and was excited to tell them all that happened.

We ate a short breakfast before meeting Yoochun and Junsu outside, where they already had the wagon set to go. The two hopped in the back of the large wagon.

I climbed onto the front, grabbing the reigns. Jaejoong took one final look at the surrounding city before climbing into the empty space next to me. “I’m actually really going to miss this place.” He confessed. “It was my first time leaving my home country, and it was amazing.” He smiled at me.

I returned the smile but didn’t respond. I couldn’t. All I could do was smile, to hide my disappointment. I didn’t want him to worry nor did I want to ruin his happiness. I know I’ll have to tell him, but not yet. Not until I come up with a plan, so I can at least assure him that it’ll work out. So that he won’t change his mind.

Not many words were exchanged between us as he took in the last moments in the Fire Kingdom. It wasn’t until we were outside the kingdom when he started to talk. He spoke about all the fun he had, and what his favorite parts were. He even spoke about the things he wanted to do the next time he visits. The next time…

 

We took turns driving between Yoochun, Junsu and I. Jaejoong offered to drive for a few hours while I directed him on where to go. It was surprisingly fun. He strangely enjoyed driving the wagon for the first time. He claimed it was more fun than just sitting around. However, after three days of traveling, his excitement died down. It completely vanished.

He grew sick from traveling.

Yoochun and Junsu drove the rest of the way, while Jaejoong rested in the back and I watched over him.

I didn’t realize how much of a toll the trip would’ve had on him. I’d grown used to these long trips even before I had to travel to the Fertility Kingdom. I’ve traveled far outside the Fire Kingdom several times. Jaejoong was unaccustomed and unprepared for the trip. I felt horrible for him.

I internally cursed myself for not being more prepared. I should’ve known this.

“It’s okay.” He assured me, noticing my internal conflict. He pulled a small bottle from his pocket. “I’m the one who should’ve come more prepared. But I managed to buy some medicine before we left.” He smiled weakly, proudly showing off the dark glass bottle.

I wasn’t convinced. “You must’ve suffered even worse on your way here.” I frowned at the thought.

“Yah. Yunho. I said it’s not your fault.” He scolded lazily, resting his head comfortably on my shoulder.

I didn’t respond, still upset, but I didn’t want to argue with him. However, he noticed anyway.

“Calm down.” He yawned. “Or else I won’t be able to sleep.” His words were slow as his eyes fell shortly.

My shoulders subconsciously relaxed at his words. He immediately fell asleep. His breathing slowed and became gentle. That was all he could do to be comfortable. At least he could sleep peacefully. And I didn’t mind the close warmth of his body against mine. It was reassuring and felt safe.

 

 

The next several days c

Please log in to read the full chapter