I Think There's Something You Should Know

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Changmin’s POV*

Everything was going well for the most part. No one from the palace came and I managed to get Jaejoong to stay over for two more days, using the excuse that I didn’t want to be alone, since Mrs. Haewon and the other servants were gone for the mourning period.

I felt sick using his emotions against him like this. But it wasn’t a total lie. The longer he stayed, the more I didn’t want him to leave. I wanted to protect him from the cruel reality of nobles and royals. I don’t want him to end up like me. Also, it was weird refreshing having him around. It’s hard to explain. But at the same time, it was getting harder to convince him to stay.

“I haven’t heard from Yunho at all the past few days.” Jaejoong stared out the window in concern as we drank morning tea. “I should probably head over o the palace and see if everything is okay.”

My eyes widened, “No!”

He jumped at my sudden outburst.

I quickly retracted. “S-Sorry. I meant…not yet.”

He tilted his head to the side.

“I was thinking that we should check on the shop this morning. It’s been closed for the past week. I-I figured that we’d check on it so we can open at the end of the mourning period.” I was unable to look him properly in the eye.

His eyes slowly widened. “I nearly forgot about that.” He ran his fingers through his hair and looked at me. “Thanks. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” He chuckled.

I gave a weak shrug. I have to stop him from going to the palace, but how? Should I have told him the truth? Should I?

“We can swing by there this morning. I’m sure there are quite a bit of things that need to be replaced or fixed. We’ll have to get some supplies while we’re out too.” He went on, making a list of things to do, distracted from his prior concerns.

 

 

After a short meal we changed and headed out the city. I have to somehow keep him from going to the palace, but I was running out of ideas. He’ll get suspicious.

 

We stopped at some of the few stands that were open and picked up the supplies on Jaejoong’s list. I tried to kill as much time as possible at the shops, but there really wasn’t much to do considering that most of them were closed, or partly open.

When we arrived at the shop Jaejoong realized that he forgot to pick up boxes and rope. I offered to purchase them from a nearby shop. If I can delay getting the supplies, I can buy myself some time in coming up with an excuse to keep him from the palace today.

However, when I exited the shop, I noticed a small group form in the middle of the street. I hesitated to ignore it when a man in a bright red uniform caught my eye. He wore a thick strap across his chest and a black military hat, with the golden Fire nation emblem in the center. I narrowed my eyes. He was the royal messenger.

He stepped upon a wooden stool, towering over everyone. He cleared his throat standing stiffly straight. “Everyone!” He called, motioning for those near to gather around him. “I have an important message for you all! It’s good news from the palace.”

I studied him skeptically.

He stood, waiting for the nearby citizens to join the group. I spotted two palanquins in the distance behind him. They were surrounded and carried by a group of royal guards. My eyes slowly widened.

“I know this has been a tough time for our kingdom, but this is a time of celebration!” The messenger began.

I quickly pushed through the people toward the front.

“It’s a time where we remember and celebrate our great king and his legacy that will be continued through-,”

“Get down!”

The messenger paused.

“Get down please.” I whisper shouted.

He looked around until his eyes landed on me. “You can’t do this now. Not here.”

He furrowed his brow.

“You can’t please.” I pleaded, earning the attention of the people around me.

He tilted his head, “Pardon?”

Before I could respond, the guard next to him nudged him. I glanced past them. The palauins were getting closer. I don’t have time for this. I have to get to Jaejoong. Get him our of here, or keep him inside. Anything.

The messenger cleared his throat and started talking again.

I turned back around and pushed my way through the now large crowd.

“We are celebrating the legacy of our leadership and our oneness as a people. The palace has sent me with a gift of good news for our future legacy…” The messenger continued his exaggerating speech.

If I can just get to Jaejoong and can at least keep him from leaving the shop. If I can just…

“I have been given the honor to present this news to the wonderful citizens of the fire nation. So please, raise your heavy necks from mourning…”

I finally pushed out the crowd. I glanced over my shoulder. The palanquins were only a few feet behind the messenger.

“Changmin.”

“It’s an occasion that the royal family wishes for you to celebrate with us in.”

I turned back around to find Jaejoong stepping out the shop. He waved at me.

My blood ran cold. Get back! Go inside! I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t. All I could do was run to him.

“I humbly announce to you the union of our future leaders. The engagement of Crowned Prince Jung Yunho and Kwon Nayoung of the respected Kwon family.

I stumbled over the edge of my robe, falling to my knees.

Jaejoong stopped in his tracks.

“Jaejoong.”

He ran past me into the crowd.

I stared at the dirt. My body trembling. I failed him.

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

I forced my way between the close bodies in the heavy crowd. What the heck is going on? Had I heard wrong?

I squeezed to the front of the group suddenly breathless. There they were. Yunho and Nayoung were a few feet away.

They stepped out their palanquins and greeted each other with warm smiles. Yunho held out his arm for Nayoung to take. The crowd quickly dispersed and ran up to them.

“Yun-,” I was cut off by two metal spears.

My eyes widened at the guards before me.

“We were ordered to keep you away from Prince Yunho.”

I stared at them in blank confusion. “What? By who?”

Neither of them said a word, not even looking me in the eye.

I shook my head. It didn’t feel at all real. “Is this true?” I asked in empty desperation.

But the two continued to look past me.

I gripped my fist now getting irritated. I stepped toward the the group, but they blocked my path. I glared at them my blood now boiling. “I have to speak to him.” I stated firmly.

“We have orders.”

My fingers curled deeper into my skin.

“Jaejoong.” I felt rest on my shoulder. I turned around to find Changmin breathing heavily.

Yunho and Nayoung turned around walking away with some of the crowd. They laughed and spoke with the people that followed them. It was familiar. It was so familiar. No.

“I have to speak to them.” I stepped forward but the knights didn’t move.

I took another step forward, my face nearly meeting the tips of their spears.

“We have orders.”

“I have to spe-,”

“This is you

Please log in to read the full chapter