King of Hearts 2/2

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaejoong's POV* 

The royal family left before everyone else was escorted off the palace grounds.

I rode back in the carriage with Changmin, less excited than earlier and I was disappointed in myself for feeling this way. I should’ve been elated.

“Do…Do you want to go to the festival?” Changmin asked snapping me from my thoughts.

I looked at him, blinking in surprise. But a large smile spread across my lips. “Of Course!” I perked. It was the first time he ever asked to go to any special events. “Yes!” I said more excited by the thought.

He blushed in embarrassment, “Okay.”

 

 

 

The city was filled with people roaming the streets. The stands were decorated and covered in red, gold, and black ribbons surrounded by dragon statues. Some stands had games, others sold food, and there were even some that sold trinkets, toys, and costumes. Children ran throughout the streets trying to win as many prizes as they could and pleading their parents for toys and food.

We stopped at the performing arts district first, which was less crowded since the performances were just beginning to set up and start.

Changmin and I squeezed through people watching the various street performances. They were captivating and elegant in their own way. Some performed tricks with their abilities while others acted out short scenes from famous stories.

“Awe, we should’ve done something,” I said as we roamed through the streets.

“Like what?” Changmin asked.

I shrugged, “Maybe hand out food. Oh! Or we could’ve performed tricks using your fire ability and my fertility ability.” I perked up at the latter idea.

He looked at me doubtfully. I stopped walking, “I’m serious. Look. Hold out your hand.”

He did what I said and held out his hand toward m me. A small flame appeared in the center of his palm. I cupped my hand over the flame for a few seconds before removing it.

Changmin’s eyes suddenly widened as the flame turned blue.

“How did you do that?”

“People of the Fertility Kingdom can enhance the ability of living things, including other people’s elements. It really doesn’t take a lot of energy. All it takes is just a touch.” I explained.

Changmin slowly nodded staring at the small blue flame in his hand. He suddenly looked back at me, “You probably shouldn’t tell people that you’re a fertile male.”

I laughed at the sudden advice.

“People will try to take advantage of you.” He continued getting serious.

I smiled at him, appreciating him looking out for me, but soon sighed, “Everyone knows now.” I said in thought.

After the announcement of mine and Yunho’s engagement it seemed as if everyone knew about me, which is to be expected, I guess. But it ended up being a dangerous move since I’m not even with him anymore.

We were taught that if we ever moved out of our home kingdom to not tell people where we were from for our own safety.

“But Yunho is married now. People will forget about you.” Changmin quickly said.

I let out a weak laugh.

His eyes widened in realization, “That sounded bad. But-,”

“It’s okay. I understand what you mean.” I ruffle his hair gently, “I’ll be more careful. I appreciate your concern, but don’t worry about me too much.”

His cheeks flushed red, and he looked away. “Come one,” I laughed, “Let’s play some games.”

I turned to walk ahead when I felt something wrap around my waist and pull me away. My body stiffened but I immediately kicked their shin and kneed their stomach. My hair felt as if it was standing on ends.

“Owww!!”

My eyes widened at the sight of Yunho keeling over.

“What the hell Yunho?!” I hit his arm once he stood up.

“Yah! Why are you still hitting me?” he rubbed his arm.

I frowned at him, “You scared…” I paused seeing people stare at us. I lowered my fist. “What are you doing here?” I murmured.

“What? Is that how you treat your new king?” He questioned with a cheeky smile.

I subconsciously rolled my eyes. “Please, you’re not my king.”

His smile grew larger. “I forgot you’re not a citizen here yet.” A smirk appeared on his lips, “That’ll be my first decree as king.

I shook my head but before I could respond he lifted my chin, forcing me to look up at him.

“You look exceptionally stunning today.” He whispered. He leaned in to kiss me but I quickly pushed him away.

“Not here,” I told him.

He frowned. “I’m King now. We can do whatever we want.”

I hesitated, knowing that it wasn’t that simple. I looked around to see that Changmin was gone and Nayoung wasn’t near either.

“Where’s Nayoung?” I asked instead.

He shrugged, “We agreed to separate and greet people on our own.”

I nodded, that obviously didn’t look good for either of them, and his mother and the advisors would be furious if they found out.

I felt uneasy. Things felt like they were going to get more complicated than before. “You should go.” I finally told him. “it’ll be better if you and Nayoung are together today. Please, I need to find Changmin. He asked me to go to the festival with him.” I said walking away from him but the younger grabbed my arm.

His frown deepened, “Him? Why are you always going everywhere with him?”

I faced him, “He’s my friend.” However, he looked even more upset by my answer. “Are you sure?”

I blinked thrown completely off guard. “What?”

“You hang out more with him than you do with me. You always give me a hard time when I want to spend time with you, but you go out your way to go out with him.”

My fingers balled into tight fists. I yanked my arm from his hand. I couldn’t believe what he was saying. Is he serious? I grew angrier by the thought.

“That’s bold of you to say, especially coming from you.” I narrowed my eyes at him. “Where were you those 8 months without a single word or even a letter? You’re the one who’s married and has a son! And you accuse me of having feelings for someone else?!”

My jaw tightened, my body feeling hot. “How can you say that? Especially since I stayed here for you.” My eyes stung. I quickly shook my head and stormed away from me.

“Jaejoong wait!” He chased after me, but I ignored him and took off running to get as far away from him as possible. I ran without a sense of direction, cutting through various turns until I bumped into someone.

“Gee, what’s the rush?”

I was relieved to see that it was Yoochun. I grabbed his wrist and pulled him around the corner. I ran a few more meters before reaching an empty dead end.

“I think I lost him.” I glared over my shoulder.

“Who are you running from? Fans?”

I turned back to face him. “Fans?”

“Well, yeah, everyone has been talking about you ever since your special entrance at the coronation,” Yoochun said as if it were obvious.

I looked at him not understanding.

I shook his head looking somewhat irritated, “Please? Don’t tell me you didn’t know what was special about your appearance today?”

My nose scrunched in further confusion and doubt.

He studied me carefully, “You really don’t know?”

“Know what?” I said now getting impatient.

“The colors you’re wearing. They’re the colors of the highest-ranked family outside of the royal families.” He said.

I furrowed my brow still not getting where he was going.

“But I heard that family moved to the Earth Kingdom, the hometown of the guy’s wife.” He thought aloud to himself.

My eyes widened in realization. “Changmin gave this to me to wear…his family…” I looked at Yoochun in shock who also looked a bit surprised. “No way,” I whispered in disbelief.

“Wow~, You have a way of attracting powerful men.” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes,

Please log in to read the full chapter