After Midnight

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaejoong’s POV*

I stared out the window with anticipation. I took in the familiar open landscape. My heart pounded with nervousness and excitement. We were almost there. Almost there. So close.

“We’re here!!” I squealed before the carriage could stop.

Yunho fell off the cushioned seat he was sleeping on.

My father and Hyungjoong were outside working in the front yard. They stared at the fancy carriage as it stopped in front of the house. I jumped out the door and ran straight to my father, embracing him in a tight hug.

He stumbled backward.

“Jaejoong?” He was stunned for a moment before relaxing and wrapping his arms around me. “Oh Jaejoong.” He sighed in relief. I squeezed him tighter. “I missed you.” I muffled into his shoulder. My eyes began to sting.

“No way!”

I turned around, reluctantly breaking the hug. I was met with Hyungjoong’s bright smile. My eyes felt like they were burning at this point. “Hyungjoong!” I hadn’t seen him since I first left almost three years ago. I quickly hugged him, and he returned the embrace. He surprisingly felt stronger than before.

“Wow Jae, you look amazing.” He complimented when we broke our hug. “You look like a real prince. I feel like a peasant next to you.” He joked.

I laughed, lightly shoving him, “And you look the same just as I remember.” I teased though he did look much taller and he gained noticeably a bit more muscle.

“Thank you. I try to keep it that way.” He winked.

“Is that my son?!”

We all turned around at the sound of my mother’s voice. She was at the front door her clothes covered in flour. Her eyes immediately lit up when they landed on me.

“Jaejoong!” She ran off the porch straight into me. I stumbled nearly falling backward. Flour flew in my face. I could hardly breathe in her embrace.

“Oh Jaejoong. We’ve missed you so much. It’s been almost 2 years.”

My eyes slightly widened, “Umma, are you crying?”

She quickly broke the hug to wipe away her tears. “Of course not.” She said though she wasn’t hiding it.

A lump formed in my throat unable to hold back my own pout, “I missed you guys too.”

She quickly wiped her tears with her handkerchief and faced the carriage to greet the others. She immediately hugged Junsu and Yoochun, who were both overwhelmed by her warm extravagant greetings.

Yunho was last to get out of the carriage. He looked awkward, but my mom gave him her signature hug anyway. However, my dad pulled her off of him. “Jihye. He’s a king, you can’t hug him like that.” He reminded.

“No. It’s fine.” Yunho quickly interjected.

Yoochun, Junsu, and I stared at him in both shock and suspicion.

“Just…Just treat me the same.” He said, suddenly getting shy.

“Awe, look at how grown-up you all are.” My mom pinched his cheeks before turning to the rest of us. “You all must be tired. Hurry, come inside.”

 

We all went inside and showered and changed before gathering around the kitchen table. Hardly anything changed in the house except for new furniture and a new coat of paint. In fact, there actually seemed to be more things than there were before. New chairs, more dishes, and more food. I was concerned that there wouldn’t be enough food for everyone, but there was way more than I expected.

I had been sending them half of the money I made from the shop every month, but it turned out Yunho was also still sending them money. I was shocked by what my mother told us. He never told me anything about it. He blushed in embarrassment.

Nevertheless, my parents had actually been doing really well, selling their herbs with Hongjoong’s help. My mom even got the time to start making and selling dresses for young girls that lived nearby. Hongjoong had also come and helped my dad with some renovations and repairs around the house. I couldn’t stop smiling, extremely grateful for my childhood friend. He kept up with his promise and I owed him everything for it.

Hongjoong left after we finished eating the meal my mom made. He promised to stop by again later. Junsu and Yoochun also went straight to bed after eating. They were exhausted from having to drive the entire 2-weeklong trip. I felt bad, I wanted to help but Yunho was strongly against it, in fear of bumping into the outcast again. It was hard to win against him on it after what happened.

“Wow, a king!” My mom explained in disbelief as we drank the evening tea she made. “Who would’ve known?”

“We all knew honey. He was the crowned prince when we met him.” My father reminded.

“I know, I know. But it’s still unbelievable. He’s so young. I remember when you were a little kid.” She pouted.

“He was a teenager when we met him, mom.” I facepalmed myself but she ignored me.

Yunho laughed a little, “I don’t really feel like a King though.” He confessed for the first time.

“Awe, that’s okay. That’s to be expected. I don’t think any amount of training or time will prepare you for the actual transition into such a large important role.” My mother assured him.

Yunho nodded in agreement.

She smiled, “Don’t be nervous. You’ll make a great king. You have a good heart and fierce energy.”

Yunho smiled genuinely at her kind words. “Thank you.” He whispered.

I looked at him a bit surprised. Not once did he talk about his feelings about being king. I never even thought how he might’ve felt before. Instead, I complained about how I wanted to leave. My heart sunk in overwhelming guilt.

“I should probably head to bed myself. Thank you for the meal, it was delicious as always.” He bowed to my parents and walked away before they could say anything.

I glanced back at him. He’d been anxious ever since we arrived, but I understood his nervousness. I was so overwhelmed in seeing my family that I didn’t feel the nerves until now, now that I’m alone with them.

If they knew about Yunho’s coronation then they probably knew everything else, at least about his marriage. I hesitantly turned back around to face them.

“Relax Jaejoong.” My dad suddenly said, catching me off guard.

I looked at them in confusion, “We already know everything, so you don’t have to be so tense.” He assured with a smile.

But this only made me more anxious. How much did they know? Judging from their calm appearance they probably only know the surface-level things, like Yunho’s marriage, and not about what happened with the outcasts. Which I was glad for.

“We’re not upset or disappointed in you Jaejoong.” My mom said her face full of concern, “so you don’t need to feel that you have to keep anything from us.”

My eyes stung at her words a lump immediately formed in my throat.

“There’s nothing that you could do to disappoint us. We’re already so proud of you.” She continued.

My vision blurred. I did everything in my will to hold back the oncoming tears. I smiled, wanting to tell them I was fine, but I couldn’t speak.

“And seeing you and Yunho here together, it seems like it’s more complicated than what we know.” My father added.

My mom tilted her head t o the side, studying me closely. “Jaejoong sweetie. Are you okay?”

I burst into tears at her question, unable to hold them back anymore. I couldn’t lie to them, but I couldn’t tell them everything. I just wanted things to go back to how they were.

My mother quickly sat down next to me and pulled me into a hug. I cried into her for a few minutes before forcing myself to pull away.

“I’m fine umma.” I quickly wiped my tears away with my fingers. “I was just afraid to tell you. I wasn’t sure how you guys would feel.” I confessed.

“It doesn’t matter how we feel Jae. We’re more concerned about how you felt and how you were doing.” She gently caressed stray strands of my hair out of my face.

I was silent for a moment, tempted to tell her everything, but I refused to put that burden on them. I’ve already worried them enough.

“I still love Yunho. Yunho and the woman he’s married to don’t even like each other. It was an arranged marriage and neither of them got a say in it.” I explained to her, “Though, they don’t love each other, I just don’t know if I should stay. We still get to see each other, but I can’t help but wonder if things would be easier for everyone if I came back here.”

She slowly nodded in understanding. “I don’t want to tell you what to do, but you know we would be more than happy if you decide to come back. No matter what the reasoning is for you coming back.” She smiled, tucking my hair behind my ear.

“But you have to do what you feel is right, in here.” She poked my chest, where my heart was. “Ask yourself, would you be okay leaving Yunho? Would you regret staying in the fire kingdom? It’s a serious decision but one that you must make yourself without the influence of others.”

I nodded in understanding.

“Neither option is wrong. You’ll make it through anything because you’re my strong, smart, kind, and beautiful son. Choose what you know is right for you.”

I looked at her, wanting to cry again but held it in. “Thanks, umma.” I hugged her.

“Don’t thank me. This is what I’m here

Please log in to read the full chapter