One

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Prince Yunho~!” The servants called out in search of me. “Prince Yunho~. Her majesty is waiting for you with your noon appointment.” They ran down the hall in the opposite direction.

I jumped out from behind one of the dragon statues and dashed around the corner, quietly sneaking into the library. The library was usually empty, but I still had to be careful, quiet, and fast.

I tiptoed as fast I could to the back corner of the library. I pulled the key out of my pocket and unlocked the lock on the hidden trap door that blended within the marron hardwood floor. I opened the door and cautiously climbed down the latter into the basement, shutting the door silently.

I jumped down the ladder and smiled proudly. For the past few weeks, I was able to successfully skip the “dates” my mother set up for me. Nonetheless, I knew I couldn’t hide forever. I’ll be confronted by her or my father eventually, which was why I set up a meeting with my father this afternoon. He’s still going to be mad at me. I might as well get it over with. I was prepared for his threats and scolding.

I accepted that I wasn’t’ going to win this fight against them, not with both of them against me. But I wasn’t going to let them win easily, and not without my own terms instated.

I walked further into the library basement and sat down in the large mahogany table set up in the middle of the room. The library basement was an extremely large room that was filled with the nation’s most important archives. Only a select few were allowed inside the archives and even fewer had unrestricted access to it. I used to hide here as a kid when I wanted to escape from my mother. It was the last place anyone expected me to be (especially since I showed a strong disinterest in learning anything from books). To this day it still served as the perfect hiding place.

I took out an envelope from inside my jacket pocket. Jaejoong’s letter finally came in. For the first time, I was nervous in receiving his letter. I didn’t tell him why I couldn’t come, except for that my parents forced me to stay, but I still felt guilty.

I carefully opened the envelope and pulled out the letter. I immediately smiled as I began to read it.

He started his letter by congratulating me on getting high marks on my lessons and added that I owed him for all the hard work and stress that I put him through.

He wrote that it wasn’t a big deal that I missed his birthday. He jokingly added that I could make it up to him when he comes to the Fire Kingdom, but I took his words seriously.

I smiled and carefully put the folded letter in the inner pocket of my uniform jacket. I stood from the table and walked amongst the several shelves of archives. I couldn’t stop thinking about the painting. Something like that would’ve be perfect.

It’s just a stupid painting. I tried to convince myself.

I recalled how the lady at the stand mentioned that the palace archives had the most accurate information of the extinct plants.

What if…I picked up one of the old books on the ancient plants. I carefully opened it, briefly skimming through some of the pages. It was terribly boring, but I focused on the images of the plants that were painted on the top corner of each page. What if I could do better than a painting and create something real?

What if I recreated all the flowers?! The plants and the fields of where the “dragon-lovers” were?

My smile widened at the idea. I slammed the book shut and put it back on the shelf. I know exactly what I’m going to do! It’s going to require a lot of work, but that wasn’t a problem.

But first, I need to speak to my father. Our meeting was going to start soon anyway.

 

I walked back to the ladder and climbed out the basement I doubled-checked to see if the coast was clear before exiting the library. I remained hidden until I was far from the library and walked causally down the hall the rest of the way.

I walked out the back of the castle out onto the training grounds. My father was already there. He was standing off to the side, watching the young and newest knights train.

I causally walked up beside him, my smile never once leaving my lips. He didn’t acknowledge me until minutes later.

“You requested to speak with me?”

I nodded. It was clear that he was not happy with me avoiding all my duties.

“I don’t know what it is you have to say after continuing to disobey us.” He continued, still not bothering to look at me.

I internally scoffed, ‘Us’?

“I’m here to

Please log in to read the full chapter