Beautiful Night

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

The next few weeks were amazing. It was like a dream. Everything immediately became different. Jaejoong was allowed in the palace often by my father’s orders. He could explore anything he wanted.

I toured him around the palace from the throne room to the training grounds to the palace gardens. Hi favorite places were the gardens and library. I even showed him the archives, though he tried to be modest and now show it, he was clearly intrigued by the books only allowed to a few people to read. And soon he’ll be one of them. Of course, I told him he could look at them now, but he refused. He was annoyingly too honest for his own good.

 

My father required him to attend some of my lectures with me and attend my meetings so that he’ll learn more about the kingdom, its politics, and how it runs. Jaejoong had unsurprisingly been excited about attending the lectures. My father was shocked by everything he already knew about the Fire kingdom from tutoring me and from long before he even met me.

We were required to go around the kingdom to meet the citizens. To my surprise a lot of them already knew who Jaejoong was, especially the city dwellers, since his shop had been fairly successful. He also made friends with much of the palace staff. Everyone loved him.

The kids were intrigued by him and the elderly adored him. Even the nobles were friendly with him. I couldn’t have been any prouder of him. He had to have been the greatest person on Earth, and he was mine.

 

The only people who were against our engagement were my mother and most of the advisors. The advisors’ opinions were useless, they didn’t even try to speak to him. They didn’t like the fact that he didn’t come from a wealthy family, more specifically one of their families. My mother was no different than them. She argued with my father to call off the engagement, but he wasn’t having it from her or the advisors.

 

 

“Hello. Welco-,” Jaejoong stopped when he saw that it was me. He smiled, shaking his head when he saw the flowers in my hands. He stepped from behind the counter and walked up to me, greeting me with a light kiss. “You’re going to start causing me to lose business if you keep showing up like this.” He took the flowers from my hand and placed them in the face on the counter.

“You won’t need business in less than a year from now.” I grinned.

He playfully rolled his eyes, “What do you want?”

“Do you really want to know?” I smirked.

However, before anything else could be said, someone came out from the back.

It was the Changmin jerk.

“I finished packing the medicines for pick up.” He informed the elder.

A large smile grew on Jaejoong’s lips. “That’s great! You got them done so early. Thank you so much.” He praised.

A small smile hesitated the youngest member’s lips. I rolled my eyes; the moment was completely ruined. “Anyway, I came because my dad said it’d be good for you to start training.” I butted in.

Jaejoong turned his attention back to me, unconvinced, “Your dad or you?” He questioned suspiciously.

“Something like that.”

He shook his head, “Yunho, I have work.” He reminded.

“I’m serious. Everyone who lives and works in the place is required to know how to fight. Even the servants are trained.”

“Didn’t we have this conversation before? And didn’t I tell you that I already know how to defend myself?” he recalled.

I scoffed, “Please. This is different than some weak country-boy moves. This is actually fighting. You’ll learn to fight just like me.” I grinned excitedly, imagining how even more amazing and ier he’d be as a ruthless fighter.

“Yeah, I’ll pass on that.” He and Changmin returned to their work.

I frowned. “Seriously, it’s required.” I insisted.

Jaejoong sighed somewhat getting annoyed, “Yunho I can’t. I-,”

“It’s okay Jaejoong hyung. I can watch the shop.” Changmin spoke up taking the elder by surprise.

“I can’t leave you to do this by yourself.” Jaejoong turned down.

“It’s fine. I know what to do. I’ll end up running this shop soon anyway.” Changmin said an awkward playful smile on his lips.

Jaejoong stared at him in shock before bursting into laughter.

I frowned. He always got excited whenever the jerk spoke to him or even says something remotely “friendly” or whatever. What was so special about him anyway? He always brought up small things he did, like going out his way to help him or saying something nice to him. They were all small stupid things. I did way more things than him.

“Alright.” Jaejoong gave in. “But don’t get too excited, you’re not taking over my shop any time soon.” He playfully warned.

The young noble shrugged and returned to his work.

Jaejoong then turned to me. “Okay. I’m all yours.”

My frown deepened.

“What is it now?” He asked.

“Nothing, let’s go.” I walked out first, not saying anything else.

“Yunho.” He followed after me. “What’s…” He paused when we stepped outside. He stared at the two tall strong thoroughbred horses in front of the shop. A smile returned to my lips at his shocked expression, forgetting why I was upset.

“I bought us thoroughbred horse. They’re young, strong, fast, and reliable in war.” I stated proudly. “This one is yours.” I guided the white horse to him. “Her name is Fiona.”

Jaejoong reached out to touch her large snout. The tall horse nestled into his touch. Jaejoong smiled, interacting with the taller being. “You actually named the horses this time?”

“No. The stable boy told me their names.” I muttered, earning a laugh. “That’s how you got her right this time?”

I rolled my eyes. “Come one. We don’t have time.” I hopped onto the black thoroughbred.

Jaejoong climbed on as well, “Race you there.” He took off before he even finished his sentence.

I scoffed amusedly and took off after him.

 

We rode fast through the city, passing people and shops until we rode through the clearing between the city and the palace.

 

“I win.” Jaejoong hopped off the horse at the front gates.

“You cheated.” I accused, reaching the gates seconds after him.

He only shrugged, “You had time to catch up.”

I climbed off the horse, “I’ll let you have this win if it makes you happy that you think you beat me.” I told him.

This time he rolled his eyes.

“Come on.” I took his hand and led him to the stalls before heading toward the training grounds. I ordered all the guards to take off from training for the morning, so Jaejoong and I could have the training grounds to ourselves.

 

However, when we reached the empty space, someone was there.

Junsu’s mother stood in the center, her arms folded, waiting patiently for us. She was one of the head guards in charge of all the knights along with her wife. The few people my father trusted and the best knight in the palace.

“Good morning Prince Yunho and sir Jaejoong.” She bowed to us.

Jaejoong bowed back, returning the greeting.

“Your father heard what you were planning and assigned me to train Jaejoong.” She explained before I could ask.

I frowned.

“He said it’d be better for Jaejoong to be trained by a professional than an angry, airheaded, boy.” She continued.

Jaejoong held back the urge to laugh.

“And I agreed.” She smirked unapologetically.

I huffed in annoyance.

 

She waved for Jaejoong to step in front of her. “Junsu has told me a lot about you and that you know the wing chun technique pretty well.”

Jaejoong nodded in confirmation, “My father taught me since I was a kid.”

“So that means you’re fairly good at hand-to-hand combat.” Junsu’s mother nodded impressed.

Jaejoong shrugged. “Kind of.”

“Well then, we’ll do a few warm-ups, and then I want you to show me what you got.” She instructed.

Jaejoong nodded, taking off his outer garments before following the head knight’s stretches and warm-ups.

I stepped to the side, forced to watch them. As much as I wanted to train Jaejoong myself, watching him was surprisingly just as a good.

After an extensive warm-up, the two sparred. Junsu’s mother held back, assessing Jaejoong’s skill level before adjusting to match just a little above him. She was delightfully surprise and pleased by how quick and swift Jaejoong’s movements were and his quick thinking when put in a compromised position. She taught him a handful of new techniques, making him practice them till he got it down perfectly.

They then moved onto weapons. Jaejoong worked shockingly well with knives and daggers. I guess it only made sense, since he knew hand-to-hand combat and could cook or whatever. Junsu’s mother also taught him the basics of handling a sword. They took it slow, since he never used one before, but he was quick to learn the basics.

They trained for over an hour and a half before Junsu’s mother called their session to an end. “We’ll train every day.” She told him. “Come by in the afternoons.”

Jaejoong nodded. He bowed and thanked her.

 

“I’m exhausted.” He breathed heavily once she was gone.

“Do you know how y you look with a sword?” I told him.

He rolled his eyes. “Don’t get any crazy ideas.” He weakly threatened, picking up his garments. “We should probably hurry up and get ready for tonight.” He said, finally catching his breath.

I smiled widely, “You can shower in my bathroom.” I offered.

He gave me a disapproving look.

“I’m not going to do anything.” I scoffed, offended.

He chuckled a little. “Let’s go.” He held out his hand.

I eagerly took it and led him into the castle.

My father set up a large ball for our engagement so Jaejoong could meet with more of the nobles and important royals from other kingdoms. I wasn’t interested in any party, and neither was Jaejoong, but it was required. This time, I didn’t mind it too much, knowing that Jaejoong would be right by my side and getting to show off that I’d met the greatest person in the world.

 

We took turns showering (at Jaejoong’s insisted request) and changed in preparation for the night’s events. Jaejoong was overwhelmed by the expensive fabrics that he had to choose from and eventually chose what was the lest flashiest. His modesty was annoying at times.

 

 

Jaejoong sat in front of the large mirror. His long dark brown hair was brushed back with red and golden jeweled hair pins lined around the crown of his head.

“I don’t think I can get used to this.” He said, referring to having his hair done and being dressed by other servants.

I sat down next to him, “Should I fire them?” It had come off jokingly, but it was a serious request.

Jaejoong rolled his eyes, shaking his head, “No. Of course not, why would you even suggest that?” He scolded.

I shrugged not seeing anything wrong.

He laughed, catching onto this. “You’re a piece of work.” He remarked.

I could only smirk at this. I didn’t have much to say. I couldn’t say or do anything but stare at him. The vibrant reds and golds of silken threads seemed to compliment the glow of this warm golden skin, and the dull shine of his hair flowed down his back like the vines of willow trees, making him seem almost spiritual in his own light. All I could do was obey any and every command that uttered from his blush lips. I could and would do the impossible if it came from him.

He looked at me, “What are you doing?”

I leaned closer and captured his soft lips.

He gently pushed me away. “We need to go, or else we’ll be late.” He stood up first to leave the room.

I couldn’t help but groan in growing agitation. I hated being a prince.

 

 

-

 

 

“Wow, you look great Jaejoong!” We met Yoochun and Junsu in the hallway on our way to the ballroom. They were dressed in their uniforms of their respective positions.

“You almost make me want to bow to you.” He teased.

“Please don’t.” Jaejoong murmured, his cheeks a pale pink of embarrassment.

“Your father told us to get you guys. He’s about to announce your entrance.” Junsu informed.

“Entrance?” Jaejoong questioned.

The younger nodded as if it were obvious. Jaejoong looked uneasy, not liking the idea of an announcement that would garner everyone’s attention.

“We need to go. He’s starting the announcement in a couple of minutes.” Junsu and Yoochun turned around. We followed them through the halls till we reached the back of the castle where the grand double doors stood.

I raised an eyebrow at how clean and fresh everything was since the doors and ballroom were rarely used anyway.

Yoochun and Junsu parted from us, leaving us with the guards that stood by the door. I could hear my father’s voice on the other side beginning his speech. You would’ve never known he was stick. His voice was strong and demanded the attention of everyone in the room.

“Is this necessary?” Jaejoong said as it became time for us to enter.

I chuckled. Though, I hated these things, I was excited. It felt like the sealing of our fate. No more hiding. No more secrets, and most importantly no more going days and hours without seeing each other.

The doors slowly opened.

I held out my arm and smiled confidently. He carefully wrapped his arm around mine, returning the gesture with a reserved smile. I gently kissed the back of his hand in reassurance before leading him into the ballroom.

We were g

Please log in to read the full chapter