The Reason

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Changmin's POV*

I refused to go to the shop for the next few days. I stayed in my room, painting nonstop, but none of them came out how I wanted I ordered the servants to throw them away, but they sold them instead.

I was angry at him. Why didn’t he listen to me? I thought he might’ve actually cared. He just used me because he was bored because he couldn’t see Yunho. I frowned at the outlandish thought.

I was mad at him. I wanted to stay mad at him after all, he loved that jerk anyway. But it was hard.

My anger kept wavering to worry and fear. Every time that happened, I tried to make up some obscure excuse as to why I shouldn’t care. It went like that until Ms. Haewon Knocked on my door.

“I’m painting!” I snapped, but she opened the door anyway.

I spun around, I said I was painting.” I scolded her, but she was unfazed.

“I have a letter for you.” She said.

I frowned even more irritated, “You came in for that? As if I never-,”

“It’s from Jaejoong.” She interrupted.

I paused, but only for a second.

“I don’t care.” I turned back around to my painting.

She placed the letter on the nightstand and left the room.

I tried to return to my work, however, I struggled to focus. I started over but it was no use. I kept glancing at the cursed envelope.

I sighed, irritated with myself for being so weak. I stood up and snatched the envelope from the marble table. I stared at it. My name was written in his neat handwriting. I took a subconscious deep breath and carefully opened the envelope.

I pulled out the carefully folded note. I paused for a moment before quickly opening it.

 

                 ‘Dear Changmin,

              I know you’re mad at me, and you have every right to be disappointed. I want to start this letter off by apologizing. I must’ve hurt you by not taking your advice into consideration and causing you to worry more as a result. I am so sorry. I never meant to hurt you, but I want you to know that I do care. I’ve cared about everything you’ve said to me. I don’t want you to think that I’ve taken you for granted. I cherish our friendship.

           I also want to apologize for burdening you with my troubles. It’s a lot for even me to handle. I was inconsiderate in placing my burdens on you and causing you hardships as well.

           You don’t have to forgive me, but you do deserve a proper apology and a thank you. I don’t think I’ve ever properly thanked you for everything you’ve done for me. Changmin. You’ve helped me out so much when you didn’t have to. I appreciate the time we’ve spent together. I hope I can fully repay you for everything you’ve done.

Sincerely, Jaejoong.

 

The thin paper trembled in my hand. I bit my lip.

This…This wasn’t what I wanted.

I threw the letter on the bed and ran out my room. I hurried out my house to Jaejoong’s front door. I quickly knocked on it, but there was no answer. I knocked a few more times but only got the same result.

I walked around to the backyard to see if he was back there, but he wasn’t. I peeked through the windows, but there were no lights on. He must be at the shop.

I hurried to the city, passing through the people that crowded the streets. I needed to respond to him as soon as possible. I…Despite my reaction to him. I didn’t want him to feel bad.

I finally made it to the shop. However, a closed sign was put on the door. I unlocked the door and went inside anyway. My shoulders fell in the dark room. He wasn’t here either. I bit my lip growing nervous. There was only one other place I could think of.

I ran out the shop to the park. I first checked the spot we usually sat at but only a couple sat there. I searched the rest of the large park but there was no sign of him. I asked people around if they’d seen him, but no one saw him.

I left the park and asked people around, but no one knew where he was. I slammed the door behind me inside the shop. I clenched my teeth in frustration running my fingers through my hair. This is my fault. He was hurting and lost. He didn’t have anyone else to go to, but he came to me.

“I figured our relationship was comfortable like that. We can tell each other anything or act any way without being judged or condemned.”

My eyes stung. He trusted me, and all I did was put him down.

“I’m an idiot.”

I tugged my hair. I hated myself. He needed my help and I walked out on him. I abounded him. “I didn’t mean it…” A tear streamed down my cheek. “I didn’t mean anything I said.”

 

 

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

The dull green blades of grass tickled my skin as I sat on the ground by the river. I wrapped my arm around my bent legs, hugging my knees. I stared at the small piece of paper in my hand. I smiled bitterly to myself. It was a letter to Jiyong, letting him know that I would be visiting the Sunshine Kingdom and that I needed his help with getting to the Fertility Kingdom. I didn’t write any other specifics in the letter, I wanted to explain everything to him when I get there.

I met a group of merchants who were close friends with Sungha. They were planning on making a trip to the Sunshine Kingdom at the beginning of next week and agreed to let me catch a ride with them.

I looked at the river no more than a foot below me. The water seemed to move slower than normal, a dark blue through which you couldn’t see anything at the bottom. I smiled disgusted with myself. Changmin was right. I knew the consequences. Yet even now I’m hesitant.

I gripped the letter tightly, but this time it’s more than just me that I have to watch out for, and nothing is going to change that priority.

I quickly stood up from my spot. I needed to send the letter now so it could get to Jiyong before we arrive in the Kingdom. I had no more time to waste.

“What a surprise!”

I spun around to see that it was Nayoung. A little boy with short dark hair stood next to her, his small hand wrapped tightly around her finger and his other hand in his mouth.

“Uh…H-hi…” I stumbled caught by surprise.

She chuckled, “Sorry for scaring you.”

She walked up to me. I quickly hid the letter behind me.

“Do you come by the river to think too?” She smiled at me.

She truly did look like a real queen in her attire. She had the same radiant presence that was unique to the Fire Kingdom. I just hoped that the palace was treating her right, despite what I heard from Yoochun. She deserved the position she held, though she didn’t want it. She was perfect for it. She was fun, kind, smart, fierce, and confident. But I knew she hated the palace. She complained about it all the time. I felt terrible for her at the same time.

“I…I guess it’s becoming a habit.” I muttered absent-mindedly.

She furrowed her brow, “Are you okay?”

I quickly snapped out of it and smiled at her, “Yeah. I’ve just been working a lot I guess.”

She slowly nodded, but it was clear that she wasn’t convinced, but I wasn’t going to burden her with my issues.

“Who’s this little guy? I don’t think I’ve ever

Please log in to read the full chapter