Please Stop Time

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaejoong's POV*

 

The weeks seemed to drag on hazily. When the mourning period ended, everything was centered around the new engagement. Queen Jung was doing everything to push the marriage onto the people. But the people still talked, still shared pitiful looks towards me. Thankfully no one ever asked me what happened.

I tried not to show that the engagement bothered me, but it was hard to bear. I went to the shop less often and honestly found myself spending most of my time in my backyard. Everything felt like a cold reminder of the reality that I tried to hide the whole time I was with Yunho. This is inevitable, right? Maybe I should’ve stayed home. Now I’m not even allowed to see him. I haven’t seen him for the past 2 months. Would I even be able to see him again?

The sound of glass shattering shrilled me from my thoughts.

I sighed, kneeling down to pick up the ceramic jar. It was the third one this week.

Changmin ran from the back of the store, “Are you okay?”

Something felt irritatingly familiar about this.

“I’m fine. These are just slippery.”

However, the younger frowned. “Are you sure? You don’t have to do this. We can…we can close the shop and go somewhere else, outside the city. I know a lot of cool places we can go that you’ll like.” He’d been worried about me since the announcement of Nayoung and Yunho’s wedding. He’s been trying to get me out the city until now, the day of the wedding.

I gave him a small smile and shook my head. However, he wasn’t pleased with my response, despite already knowing my answer. I reached for the broom behind the counter and swept the broken glass up.

He gritted his teeth, “What are you trying to prove?” He suddenly snapped.

I looked up at him. My eyes widened at the sight of fear, sorrow, and anger in his eyes. “What are you trying to prove by hurting yourself like this? What do you have to gain from it?”

I stared at him, words seeming to have left my mind. My lips parted but nothing came out. He was right. I had nothing to prove. I hadn’t even seen Yunho since the day of the announcement. My chest tightened. But I can’t, for some, reason let myself leave.

I took a deep breath, “Because, I can’t just leave him to go through this alone.” Though I hadn’t seen or even spoken to him for the last 2 months he still needed me. I know it.

Changmin scrunched his brow, a frown deepened his lips. His shoulders fell in a sudden sign of defeat. His fringes fell in front of his eyes, “I’m trying to help.” His voice was strained and weak.

I froze. “You are helping. You’ve been a ton of help.” However, he didn’t look at me.

I sighed, “Okay. If it gets too much, I’ll take you up on your offer.” I suggested.

He paused for a minute before giving a weak nod. I offered him a smile in a final attempt to assure him.

“Let’s not think about it right now. Just treat it like any other day.” On that final note, I returned to cleaning up the broken glass.

The day was relatively quiet despite the celebration and music that was going on outside. No one really came into the shop; most were probably enjoying the wedding festivities. Which I didn’t mind. The last thing I needed was the pitiful glances from the people. Changmin and I spent our time organizing herbs and crushing medicines. We ate inside the shop for lunch, having already made our lunches.

“I guess we can close early,” I said putting away some of the herbs. “There’s no point in staying open if people aren’t coming.” We finished organizing the herbs and made over a weeks’ worth of medicines. We only had three to four customers come in, so we had a lot of time on our hands. Before Changmin could respond, the front bell dinged.

I turned to greet the new customer but froze when I saw who it was. What is he doing here? He was the last person on my mind and the last person I wanted to see today out of all days.

I swallowed my pride and straightened up. “Hello Hajun. How may I help you?”

“Please cut the formalities.” The noble heir raised his hand lazily. “I want to speak to yu alone.”

I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously but nodded. I looked to Changmin who resisted but eventually gave in. He huffed and glared at Hajun before returning to the back.

“I’m not here as your enemy Jaejoong.” He leaned against the counter. “I’m here because I pity the both of us.” A sigh escaped his lips. For the first time he looked exhausted behind his expensive threads of gold and white. His hair was loosely tied back, but his eyes were still menacing, observant, and haughty. He was a beauty, but in this moment, he seemed something unreal, almost earthly in his less strict state.

“I’m also dreading this wedding.” He continued, “I’d much rather lose the prince to you than to her.”

I held back the urge to roll my eyes. He rested his elbow on the counter, placing his chin in the palm of his hand. He tilted his head, staring at me. “You and I are a lot alike ya know.” He noted.

I internally groaned at the horrible comparing recalling Yoochun saying the same thing. “Maybe if we met under different circumstances, we could’ve actually been friends.” He brushed off, “It’s unfortunate who things turned out. I, for a moment, thought you and Nayoung were friends but I guess she fooled all of us.”

“It wasn’t her choice. She was forced into it!” I defended. I didn’t know the whole story, but I know the two of them were forced into it. She loved Sungha.

Hajun responded with a lulling hum, “That’s not what everyone else thinks.”

I scrunched my brow at his words. No one is thinking badly about her ri, right?

“Why are you here?”

He cocked his head to the side, revealing his slender features. “I came to make you an offer,” He said. “I figured you were probably suffering more than me so…” he suddenly shuffled uncomfortably. “So, I thought you might be interested in skipping this whole ordeal. I have a carriage set up to leave the capital. There’s a smaller city we could go to. I have several vacation homes in the country. If you’re interested in that. He brushed his hand lazily in the air avoiding eye contact.

I paused at his unexpected offer. I could hardly believe what I heard. At the same time, I was compelled to take him up on his offer. Though I shouldn’t trust him, his intentions seemed genuine. Maybe we could be friends. But…

“Thank you.” I thanked, catching him off-guard. “I think we could be friends…” My voice trailed as my mind fancied the idea of leaving the city, maybe even the kingdom. I quickly shook my head.

“I…” My body stiffened as if to protest my next words. Hajun seemed to catch on watching me curiously. “I…can’t…” My shoulders fell. “I can’t let him go alone through this alone. But I appreciate your offer.” I said more confidently.

However, I was caught off guard by his irritated scoff, nearly snorting. “That’s what’s annoying about you poor people.” He remarked bitterly.

I blinked trying to process his sudden switch in behavior. “P-Pardon?”

“You guys think you’re performing some kind of greater good by making yourself suffer,” He growled, “But you’re not doing anything but harming yourself. Everyone is moving on, but you’re stuck suffering for nothing. No one is thinking about you.”

He stood up straight his eyes suddenly pierced into mine. “Tell me Jaejoong. Do you really think your suffering and Yunho’s suffering are equal? He’s a prince. He can do whatever he wants. You? You’re just a poor farmer’s son. You’re helpless. Do you really think that he’ll actually know whether your stay or not? Or if it will even make a difference for him?”

He stalked toward me but stopped. He leaned forward, “Will you be able to watch him marry someone else? Kiss someone else? Tell someone else he loves them even if he doesn’t mean it? Do you think you’ll be able bare sleeping under the same night sky as he sleeps with someone else?”

My eyes slowly widened, “Wh-What?”

Loud music suddenly sounded outside; the wedding was about to begin. Hajun didn’t respond and looked out the window.

“Hajun.”

But he didn’t respond.

Blood rushed through my veins. I snatched his shoulders and forced him to look at me. “What did you just say?” My fingers trembled against his thin shoulders. His eyes suddenly softened looking something like pity. No. That couldn’t be. “What did you say?” I persisted.

“He’s the crowned prince Jaejoong. He has duties to fulfill on his wedding night.”

I felt the blood drain from my face. Everything suddenly felt heavy and cold.

 

 

*Yunho’s POV*

An impatient knock sounded at my door. It swung open before I could think of ignoring it.

“Hey, we’re all waiting for you. You’re a half hour late.” It was Yoochun and Junsu.

All the servants had already left, taking their spots for the ceremony. I remained in my room forced in stupid wedding attire.

“I rather die.” I growled, regretting going on with this every second.

“That’s still an option.” Yoochun shrugged nonchalant.

I glared at him.

“…or there’s still time to leave.” Junsu murmured. He didn’t look at either of us, finding the corridor more comforting to look at.

My shoulders fell heavy. I forced myself to stand despite the trembling muscles within me. “Let’s go.” My words fell weaker than I expected.

The two stepped aside, allowing me out. I reluctantly followed them to the group of guards and servants that led me out the castle. All the energy suddenly drained form me at the official reality of it all. All the palace workers and guards dressed in their formal attire, the sight of royal family members and citizens gathered outside, beneath the loud decorations, the priests that stood at

Please log in to read the full chapter