Dragon Lovers

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Yunho? Are you okay?”

I didn’t have to look to know the concerned expression on his face.

I swallowed hard, forcing my emotions back.

I looked back at him, forcing a weak smile, “Yeah.” I played casual. “Thanks.” I ignored his questioning look.

“You’re welcome.” He smiled warmly.

I quickly looked away, unable to look him properly in the eye.

“Let’s go!” I jumped to my feet unable to handle the bundle of guilt, regret, and joy. “We have a lot to do today.” I moved on. I helped him unpack and put away the rest of his belongings before we finally left the hotel.

 

 

I showed him around different parts of the city. We didn’t have enough time to go through the entire city, so I made plans to show him the rest of it within the next coming days. We spent most of our time in the arts and entertainment districts where the center of the Lover’s Month activities was held. The celebrations were held throughout the entire city, but the arts and entertainment districts were the highlights of it all.

Jaejoong was easily enchanted by the eccentric activities and decorations and the energy around him. He was amazed by every single thing that his eyes could capture. He stopped at all the stands and every work of art asking a ton of questions.

It was actually fun watching him. I’d never been interested in Lover’s month celebrations. I did all I could to avoid it. When I started traveling to the Fertility Kingdom, I made sure to leave a few days before the festive month so I could miss it without any problems. But this time, I actually felt jubilant by it all. Something about witnessing Jaejoong’s enthusiasm made me feel just as moonstruck by everything around us.

Everything suddenly seemed different. It felt different. The decorations, the activities the special events. Even the people. I couldn’t define it, but it was alight joyous feeling. You can just stand in any part of the city and watch everything unfold around you and still have the time of your life.

 

There were a lot of families and couples around. Kids ran around playing with each other while some of the other kids went to play all the games, trying to win as many prizes as they can. There was a lot of people, but it didn’t feel crowded. There was enough space to easily move around, which I was thankful for. It was nearly impossible keeping up with Jaejoong.

He ran to everything that caught his eyes. He was like one of the kids. I didn’t mind it though. It was fun and I’ve never seen him this happy before. It was a great and new feeling. A pure smile never wavered from his lips. He was basically glowing.

It made me wonder.

I know he loves his kingdom, his friends, and his family with all his heart…but it made me wonder if he’s ever experienced anything like this before. Every time I visit him, he’s always working.

When he’s not working at his jobs, he’s working on the farm and around the house with his family. During his free time, he practices with his abilities and studies herbs. And when I visit, he helps me with my lessons.

His parents told me that he’s been working since he was a kid. He’s always worrying about his family and who knows what else. It sounded like he had to grow up fast.

I know he doesn’t mind it. He loves his work. He loves learning, and he loves his family more than anything else. But I’m sure he’s never truly relaxed. I know, somewhere deep down he is suffering from it all but buries it somewhere within himself to keep going. He’s never been able to have fun, completely free from any responsibilities and worries. And this was the first time he could do that.

The first time he could be free.

I don’t think he even knows it.

He doesn’t need to though. He doesn’t need to think right now. He can just have fun.

I smiled, proud that he could experience this. However, he could feel this way more often. He won’t have to worry; he won’t have to work so hard.

It wasn’t fair.

He’s an amazing and thoughtful person. He should have everything. He deserves everything.

“I reread the story of the Dragon lovers.” He said, away at his candied apple.

“Oh yeah?” I held back the urge to laugh at how child-like he looked with his treat.

He nodded, “I was a kid when I first and last read it, but I still remembered their names. Akio was the fierce red dragon and Asuka was the wise gentle dragon.”

“Jiyong lent me a book from the palace library. It was the complete story of Akio and Asuka. It went into way more detail than the children’s books we read in class as kids. I’m sure it’s the story that the people of the Fire Kingdom are familiar with.” He went on.

I hummed in response, allowing him to go on as I led the way to our next destination.

“Their story is amazing.” He said in thought. “It’s really admirable how they managed to depend on each other to survive the harshest winter in history. All the other dragons died off because of it…they were the only two left. Apparently, they hated each other. They were complete opposites, but in the end, they became one and made it through the unforgiving winter.” He smiled at the thought.

I only nodded. I didn’t know much about the story. I only knew the general premise of it, but it was enough to keep me disinterested in it.

“Akio reminded me of you when I read it. He was hot headed, irrational, and arrogant.”

I didn’t respond. I was tired of him associating me with those traits. I don’t hold it against him. It’s my fault. I feel horrible for treating him the way I did, especially the cold things I said to him. It’s embarrassingly stupid and childish. I’m honestly surprised that he still doesn’t hate me.

My shoulders dropped. I got extremely lucky.

I felt his slender hands on my shoulder, “Are you okay?”

I looked at him, meeting his sharp concerned eyes. I rested my hand on top of his. I’m not going to mess it up this time.

I smiled at him and nodded, “I’m fine. I’m just not looking forward to seeing this stupid play.”

I slowly pulled out two tickets from my pocket.

His eyes lit up as he took the tickets from my hand to get a better look at them.

“No way! You got the tickets to the Dragon Lover’s Play?!” He exclaimed, earning the attentions of passersby.

“You said that you really wanted to see it.” I chuckled at his rare behavior.

“But…that was a long time ago…” He looked at me in amazement. “You remembered/”

A blush burned my cheeks. “Well…yeah…It’s not that hard to remember.” I rubbed the back of my neck, unable to look him directly.

His eyes turned into halfmoons. “Thank you.”

I blinked dumbstruck by the pureness of his expression.

I quickly cleared my throat, snapping myself out of it. “We gotta hurry up. It’s going to start soon.” I wanted this awkward moment to end.

Without waiting for him to respond, I walked off, leading the way to the theater. He was quick to follow.

We made it just in time, before the play started. I was surprised by the seats we got. They were front seats in the center of the row. I didn’t buy the tickets myself; I couldn’t allow anyone to know what I was up to or my whereabouts. I gave Yoochun the money to purchase the tickets. He managed to get the best seats in the theater. He’s probably the most annoying little I’ve ever met and will ever meet, but he always got a job done and did it well.

“We’re so close.” Jaejoong whispered as the lights dimmed, indicating that the play was about to start.

I placed my elbow on the arm rest, resting my chin in the palm of my hand. I prepared myself to fall asleep. Despite planning all this for Jaejoong, I still wasn’t interested in the story of the Dragon Lovers.

 

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

A tall thin man walked onto the stage. His body was lanky, but his movements were poised and dignified, a characteristic that was prominent in all the people of the Fire kingdom. Even Yunho shared these characteristics. If you never heard him speak or knew what kind of person, he is…if you watched him from afar, you could easily see the dignity in his movements and the way he carried himself. It was natural. It was as if it was an innate trait all people born in the Fire nation had.

The tall man bowed before speaking. “Thank you all for joining us on this momentous occasion and sharing the pride of our nation with us. Tonight, I am honored to present to you, the story of the two dragons. On one winter day their fates changed and the fate of the rest of the world…” The curtains slowly opened, and he seemed to suddenly disappear with them.

 

I watched the play in awe Moved by the vibrant costumes and the intricate details of the background. It felt as if they were actually in another world from us. The performers moved with extravagance and elegance while still making every word, every turn of their head, and twist of their head believable. They even performed tricks that I can only describe as magic, enthralling you deeper into the mysteriousness of the production.

The play followed everything from the book, not leaving a single detail out, rathe expounding upon them with fantastic visualizations that books couldn’t even accomplish.

I recognized most of the scenes in the play. However, despite already know what happened in the story, I was left in shock by every scene, as if I was hearing the story for the first time. It was a new and frivolous experience. I felt like a child allowed inside the world of their imagination seeing magic of story manifest before th

Please log in to read the full chapter