Let Me See

Blue Flame
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Yunho's POV*

 

I slowly opened my eyes, greeted by streaks of pale sunlight that streamed through the curtains. I frowned.

I had to return to the palace.

I hated going back.

I turned to my side; a smile forced its way onto my lips at the sight of Jaejoong fast asleep next to me. His long hair falling across his face and down his neck. Why can’t I just stay here? Him moving here has been the best thing to happen. I can see him almost every day whenever I can escape the palace.

Returning to the palace had been easier than before, knowing that I don’t have to wait months before seeing him again. But it still wasn’t enough.

Our time together was always short. I couldn’t always escape the stupid palace, but on the days I could it was late in the afternoon. We could only spend a few hours together before it was time for bed. We couldn’t even go out freely together either. There were too many restrictions. But it won’t last forever. It just can’t.

I smiled widely at the sudden reminder.

 

Jaejoong slowly opened his eyes. An airy laughed escaped his lips when he saw me. “What are you smile so hard about this early in the morning?” His morning voice was soothingly quiet.

“Don’t worry about it.” I sat up. “I have to go.” I gave him a quick kiss on his irresistible lips before hopping out of bed.

He groaned, stretching his limbs under the sheets. “Do you want me to make you breakfast?” He yawned.

“No. I have to leave now, but I’ll be back tonight.” I promised. I slipped into the bathroom and quickly changed my clothes.

As soon as I was finished getting ready, I ran down the stairs to the front door. Jaejoong followed me, stopping me before I could open the door.

“Is something wrong?” His expression crinkled into concern.

“Everything is fine. It’s perfect.” I assured him, though he didn’t look convinced. “I’ll tell you about it later. I’ll be back later this afternoon. Don’t make any plans.”

He scoffed a little, “I have no other plans than being at the shop all day.” He stated.

His shop had surprisingly been successful and grew popular within the past weeks. He spent all day at the shop making and selling herbal medicines and other remedies to people. They came from all over the city to buy his medicines. He claims that it’s because there are hardly any jobs like his. But I know better than. It’s because he’s just amazing at what he does and he’s a great person. Maybe too great.

“I’ll meet you later then.” I gave him a final kiss before slipping out the front door.

 

That last kiss had been a mistake. I was nearly convinced to turn back around. I could if I wanted to and face the consequences later. But not today. Today I had to return to the palace.

 

 

“You’re late.” Yoochun remarked unsurprised when I arrived at the palace grounds.

“Is everything set up for tonight?”

“Everything is ready to go. Perfect.” He smiled, pleased with himself.

I took his word for it.

“But…we might have a problem.” He added.

I looked at him, waiting for him to go on.

“Your mother set up a brunch date today with a noble family.” He announced.

I frowned, “I thought that was canceled.”

“The one with Nayoung’s family was cancelled, she cancelled it. But your mom set up another one with Hajun’s family.” He explained.

My frown deepened, hardly recognizing either names. “How much time do I have?”

“About 30 minutes, but they’ll probably show up early.” He informed.

I nodded in understanding. I didn’t need that much time anyway. “Fine. Where’s my father?”

“He’s in his room.”

I nodded. “If my mother looks for me, tell her I’m speaking with him.” I instructed before walking away.

I walked up the long staircase, through the decorated corridors before reaching the largest bedroom in the palace. It was my father’s room. My parents slept in separate rooms on opposite sides of the castle. They hardly ever entered each other’s spheres unless it was over something urgent, or they were somehow forced to.

I knocked on the thick wood. I could hear harsh coughing on the other side before he muttered for me to come in. I pushed one of the heavy doors open, entering the oversized room.

He was sat up on his bead, reading a book through his frail reading glasses. It was a rare sight. He was hardly ever in his room. He was always in his study, in the throne room, or on the training grounds. He even slept in his study sometimes. He only ever goes in his room to change. But now he’s been confined in it, often forced to perform work in bed unless his health allowed otherwise.

He was thinner than usual but didn’t look sick as he was treated. He had the same energy and fierceness as before.

He didn’t look up from his book when I entered. I pulled one of the chairs to the side of the bed and sat down.

“I have something important I want to t talk to you about.” I went straight to the point. It’s not like we had anything else to talk about. He hated small talk as much as I did.

“Is it another one of your frivolous deals?” He questioned without much emotion, sounding more unimpressed than anything else.

“This is serious.” I stated firmly.

He reluctantly closed the book in his hand and finally looked at me.

“I’ve made a decision and I plan on following through with it, no matter how or what you guys say. But I do hope that you will honor and bless my decision. I don’t want to have any trouble.” I held his sharp gaze, not wavering even a little.

I took a deep breath before continuing. “I have found someone that I want to spend the rest of my life with. He’s someone I’ve known for a while now. He’s none of the people mom introduced me too. I met him back at the Fertility kingdom. He recently moved here to be with me, and I intend on marrying him.”

His face remained stoic and unflinching.

“I want these dates to stop and I want you to bless our message. He’s the only one for me, no one else will do. He doesn’t come from a noble or royal family, but I won’t let you guys stop me because of some stupid requirements. I will only marry him no one else. I emphasized my underling warning.

An uneasy silence fell between us. I continued to hold his stare, letting him know of how serious I was.

He broke eye contact, releasing a chuckle that grew into full on laughter.

I sat there dumbfounded, stunted by his reaction. I suddenly felt uncomfortable. Did I say something wrong? Am I dreaming? Did I not actually say what I thought I said? The last thing I expected was for him to laugh. In fact, I’ve never seen him laugh before.

It was hard to decipher the meaning behind his reaction or if this was reality or if this was even my father.

“I know.” There was a smile on his lips, but I don’t think he was smiling at me. It was just a remnant of his laughter.

“You know?” I scrunched my brow in confusion.

“I knew something had to have been up when you started showing interest in the Fertility Kingdom. You used to hate those trips. Something had caught your interest that made you want to go there and stay there longer than you were supposed to. It was quite obvious.” He stated.

I guess I didn’t try to hide my longing for the Fertility Kingdom.

“I half expected it to be a love interest.” He confessed. “I couldn’t figure out what it was.”

“Well?” I really wasn’t interested in his observations.

He smoothed the hard-covered book on his lap and placed it on the nightstand. He let out a long sigh. “I haven’t been a good father to you, but I do care. I don’t want you to go through what your mother and I had to go through. I will bless your marriage, if that’s your wish.”

I paused, hardly believing his words. A slow smile stretched on my lips. “Really?’ I jumped from my seat, catching him off guard.

He nodded.

This was great. This meant no one could stop me. No one can stop us.

“Don’t you have a brunch date today?” He recalled.

“I’ll deal with that.” I smiled in thought.

He raised a curious eyebrow.

 

 

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

“Just sort them by plant type and season.” I instructed. “Then we can stop for lunch.”

Changmin nodded and put the plant leaves in their respective cupboards. He’d been helping me with the shop a couple of weeks ago. Ms. Haewon suddenly stopped coming and he appeared instead. He’d honestly been a huge help especially with bringing in customers and getting my shop’s name out to others. Had it not been for him or Ms. Haewon, I don’t think I’d been so successful so fast. And I was extremely grateful toward them for it.

We’d grown a bit closer the past few weeks. It was a slow progress, but he gradually opened up to me a little more each day. He didn’t talk much, but he listened a lot. I didn’t mind it. I was glad that he’d at least grown comfortable with me. He was very perceptive and extremely intelligent. He always paid close attention to detail and remember small details about people. Despite his cold demeanor, he was actually sweet and kind. He was just closed off from others.

“Hello?!” Someone called from the counter. “I need headache medicine for my friend!” They called in a desperate voice.

“I’ll be right back.” I patted Changmin’s shoulder. He handed me a small glass of herbs that worked great for headaches. “Thanks.” I smiled and quickly went to the front counter.

“Good Afternoon.” I greeted. “I…”

I paused, recognizing the girl. Behind her stood a red-faced Hajun.

I subconsciously raised an eyebrow. He looked furious.

We almost instantly made eye contact.

His eyes grew large but quickly narrowed. “You!!” He accused, taking us all by surprised. He pushed past the girl up to me.

“Um, did you need-,”

He knocked the bottle out my hand. “I don’t want your stupid medicine. Who the held o you think you are?!” He shouted angrily.

I stood there in bewilderment, not understanding what was going on. Was he mad about the kiss? But that was over a year ago. We hadn’t seen each other at all since then.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

This only infuriated him even more.

“Don’t act like you’re so innocent! Why would he choose a filthy like you?!” He spat.

I frowned.

By this time Changmin had stepped out from the back to see what the commotion was about.

“If you don’t need any help, then I’m going to have to ask you to please leave.” I spoke politely but sternly.

“You little…” He grabbed my collar pulling my body against the counter.

“Hajun.” His friend gasped.

“Yah!” Changmin walked up to him. “Leave him alone.” His voice threatening.

Hajun growled under his breath, turning to the young noble. “The last person I want to hear anything from, is you. Mind your own business.” He shoved him away, causing the younger to fall to the ground. Hajun scoffed unimpressed, “You ing bastard child.”

My blood ran cold. “Hey.” I moved from behind the counter and stepped between him and Changmin. “If you have a problem with me, then keep it between us. I won’t tolerate you taking your childish anger out on my friends.” I threatened, fighting all urges to cause him physical harm.

I narrowed my eyes at him, a quiet smirk quirked my lips. “And if this is about Yunho, get over it. Next time, don’t’ set your expectations higher than you can reach.”

Before I could process his reaction, I felt an icy sensation sting from where his hand met my cheek.

The room fell silent an unforgivingly tense atmosphere forming between him and I.

Please log in to read the full chapter