Epilogue

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lieutenant Shin Woobin is a very observant soldier. His personal skill is learning facts without the other party even getting a hint about his observation. Using this special skill of his, Shin Woobin observed his superior every day.

Today, it’s one of those rare days where he leaves the base on time instead of staying longer and hanging out with the other soldiers or going drinking with them. he’s barely participating in the conversation among his colleagues about which bar they should hit when he saw the Captain walk down the stairs, one hand holding a bag, the other furiously typing on his phone.

“Jung Daewi!” Woobin called. His senior paused few steps away from his SUV, “Why don’t you join us for a couple of drinks?” The other guys looked at their senior expectantly.

“And risk footing the bill? No thanks.” Yunho unlocked his car and put his bag in the back, smiling at these whiny soldiers.

“Please Jung Daewi~ we can all fit in your big fancy car.” One soldier begged with exaggerated aegyo. Yunho and the others pretended to gag at that face making that soldier whine. He’s one of the new recruits, fresh out of school. So he takes the liberty of acting like the maknae of his soldier hyungs, “come on Captain Hyung, what are you going to do going home so early?”

“Not going home kiddo.” Yunho pulled out his wallet, “got to pick up someone from the airport. Here.” He passed Woobin, the more responsible one, some cash, “first round’s on me. Don’t get too drunk. 6 am drills tomorrow.”

“The invitation is always open for you Caps.” Shin Woobin did a playful salute while pocketing the money. Yunho waved at them without looking back. He hurriedly got into his car before they interrupted him again and drove off. When he was gone, the guys began talking again, deciding who should drive. “I’ll be the chauffeur.” Woobin said and pulled out his phone to search something, “but first, do any of you follow Youngwoong Jaejoong.”

“Ah yes yes!” the maknae bounced excitedly, “my noona went to her Japanese concert. I wonder if she’s performing in Seoul… hyung, I heard that Youngwoong performed at the base before I was stationed here.”

Another soldier threw his arm over the maknae and sighed blissfully, “man, even with her broken leg it was magical.” The soldiers began fanboying over Youngwoong Jaejoong, while Woobin read that article about the idol returning home in secret to avoid being mobbed by fans at the airport.

~~~

“he’s around that corner. Be careful.” Jaejoong thanked her manager, Ji Joohyun before putting on her mask and hoodie. She checked if the coast is clear and ran to the end of the street and turned left. Without a second wasted, she hurried inside a black SUV she knows too well.

“Hi!” Jaejoong squealed, practically throwing herself over Yunho. she gave him a loud kiss which turned into a makeout session on the driver’s seat.

“Youngwoong-ssi, as much as I like this, we should get moving before your fans find you.” Contrary to his words, Yunho’s lips sought Jaejoong’s. but she’s snapped out of it with a gasp. “Whoops! Let’s go.” she went back to the passenger seat, “your house or mine?”

“Actually,” Yunho pointed to the back as he began driving, “I was thinking a midnight date.” Jaejoong looked behind and squealed at the picnic basket, cans of soju, and a bucket from her favourite chicken shop.

~~~

“Are you sure you are allowed to eat ramen?” as he spoke, Jaejoong slurped a large mouthful of noodles as she’s wont to do. “I don’t have to watch what I eat now.”

“cheat day?” Yunho asked while he wiped the soup on her chin with a napkin.

“they cancelled my diet entirely. Said I need to eat instead, so I don’t faint.” She grabbed one of her s mournfully, “and so these kids get bigger.”

“You look famished. Here, eat some more.”

“Yah! Byuntae!”

They are at their usual picnic spot by the Han river. Lit by the lights of Yunho’s car, they sat on a mat and binged on junk food and soju.

“How come you’re not in your uniform? Did you stop by your apartment?” Jaejoong relished in the feel of Yunho’s short, spiky hair after a long time while he rests his head on her lap. Her bliss is interrupted when he takes that hand and placed a long kiss on her palm. “I had time till your flight landed. So I stopped by my apartment to get some things.”

“Things?” Jaejoong thought for a moment and then her eyes brightened, “You’re staying over?”

“If you don’t mind.” Yunho got his response with a squeal and a kiss.

 “You and your random hunger pangs.” Yunho affectionately grumbled as Jaejoong made grabby hands at the yoghurt. As she inhaled the strawberry dessert like she hasn’t eaten in a week, Yunho noticed her shiver. He led her inside the car, “Let’s go. I’m sleepy.”

Midway through her yoghurt, Jaejoong fell asleep. She was holding the cup with two hands while her drooping head bobbed with the movements of the vehicle. It’s not the same, but it reminds Yunho of those times her head would be hanging low. It was one such moment in his car when he made a spontaneous decision that led them to this day.

He was lost in some heartwarming memories when he was alerted by his phone buzzing.

~~~

“Jaejoong, wake up.” The idol woke up with a jolt at the slight shake. She looked at her yoghurt cup in a daze while Yunho undid her seatbelt. She looked out and frowned, “why did you stop here? You can go in.” she said, her voice hoarse from her nap. Yunho looked at her apologetically and Jaejoong took a minute to put two and two together. “dentist trip again?” Jaejoong asked using their code word.

After she watched Descendants of the Sun, Jaejoong has been somewhat obsessed with it. So even she has a code word for Yunho’s missions. But Yunho and his team aren’t on the frontlines like the soldiers shown in DoTS. Yunho specializes in reconnaissance, gathering intelligence and security details for envoys or important transports. He used to say his is a more cleaner job than what they showed on TV. So she started calling it to a cleanup trip at the dentist.

When he gives that amused look, she knows her answer. But she doesn’t want to show her disappointment and send him off with that on her mind. So she huffs and pouts cutely instead. “The Youngwoong Jaejoong getting one-upped by some old guy in a suit!”

“actually it’s an old woman.” Yunho laughed, “have to go ahead of her to gauge the situation and oversee the security arrangements with the local autho-

“Yeah, yeah whatever…” Jaejoong relentlessly pouted, “How long?”

“Two weeks.”

“where?”

“it’s a secret.”

“Ugh! Just when I’m free you have to leave. You know what? It’s more difficult to see each other coz our homes are far apart. It would be so much more convenient if that’s not the case right?”

Yunho doesn’t give any obvious reaction to her blatant hint. But inside, he’s very amused and excited. “you mean like moving in?”

“now that you mention it…” Jaejoong played coy, “it could work…get some decent house between the base and Aria. Or near the base will be just as good.” And she makes it sound so casual as drinking coffee.

Yunho playfully flicked her nose, “and what about the fans? They’ll go wild when they realize Youngwoong is moving into a new house with a man.”

Jaejoong cringed slightly, “I bet they’ll start marriage or pregnancy rumors.”

“Exactly, I don’t want any rumours about you unless there’s any truth to them.” He opens the door on her side, “come on, I’ll walk you to your door.”

By the time he steps out and gets the remainder of their things, she’s standing there patiently waiting for him. it’s obvious she wants to drag every second with him. without a word, she takes one bag from him and interlaces her free hand with his. When they reach the elevator though, she pulls her hands away.

“I’ll be fine from here.” She takes the other bag, noticing his frown. For the first time in a while, her eyes are downcast and shoulders slumped, “If you come to my door, I might not let you leave.”

Jaejoong has no idea how much those words warm his heart. All his life he’s never had anyone give him so much affection. It’s instinctive for his hand to move and cup her face. With the slightest movement, he tilts her face to look into his eyes and he meets her halfway for a kiss.

The bags slip out of her hands as Jaejoong trembles in the feeling of this kiss. It’s not desperate, nor chaste. It’s a gesture to convey their feelings where words fail them. his hands travel from the tips of her fingers to her arms before one is pulling her closer and higher by the middle of her back and the other combs through her hair to tilt her face at an angle that allowed him to deepen the liplock. She’s almost on her toes, till she has to hold his shoulders and neck for support. Screw the door! She is close to pushing him into the elevator and making out till they reach her bedroom.

Yunho could tell what she's thinking and he couldn't afford that as much as he wants to push her up against the wall too. He takes the initiative to pull apart and smiles at her whining. He thumbs her moist swollen lips, feeling that burst of male satisfaction. ''Goodnight.'' he gives her one quick peck and leaves, waving at her as he stepped out of the lobby.

Jaejoong didn't say anything and she didn't need to. Every time she had left for her long schedules, she'd feel melancholic. When he left on his missions, she felt longing, but also pride. She'd drown herself in her work to distract herself and also clear her schedule for when he returns. But her schedule is already clear thinking she'd have the next few days with Yunho. While she's waiting for the elevator, she thinks if she should visit her parents or hang out with her friend, Heechul.

When the elevator was only 2 floors away she picked up the bags and that's when she felt it. She dropped the bags again as she stared at her hand, her finger, that all important finger. With the slight movement of her hand there was a brief glimmer as if telling her it’s really there.

Clumsily she pulled it out noting it’s such a snug fit and examined it. It was a platinum band with a line through it. The ends were cut into triangular tips that held a sparkling diamond. It looks custom-made and she looked inside. Sure enough the letters 'JYJ' were inscribed. Her brain instinctively thought of her stage name and her heart knew that first J is for Jung.

She tried thinking when that sneaky soldier misused his stealth training to put this on. Was it at the Han River when he played with her fingers? No she'd realize there's a ring on her finger long ago. When she was napping in the car? No, she clearly remembers wearing nothing on her hand except her precious watch and the bracelet her parents gifted her on her last birthday. And she gasped. Her watch isn't there! She can only think of their little moment when that sneaky son of a salmon stole her watch and slipped a ring on her finger.

With a shriek she stomped back out and as expected that sneaky potatohead is leaning on his stupid car hands in his pocket and that stupid smirk on his face. When she's only few steps away, he pulled his sneaky hand out and dangled her watch he sneakily stole teasingly.

"Yah! You-" she raised a fist to throw something art this sneaky sneaker and paused realising she almost threw what looks like a very expensive ring. with a pout, she used that fist to punch his chest. Given that he’s pretty much a man of steel compared to her, her punch only hurt her. “stupid.” Was the only thing she could come up with. “that’s not how you propose.”

“I know.” Yunho laughed lightly. He tugged her wrist which she so relentlessly clenched, “I actually had something grand planned for next week. Yoochun had promised he’d make sure you’re free then. Who knew I’d be the one caught up with work.” He finally managed to get her to open her palm, taking the ring from it, “I couldn’t wait any longer and I had the ring on me so…I decided right after the call from the base.” Unabashedly, he slipped the ring back on her ring finger.

She watched the action with a pout. “Yah…I didn’t say yes.” Contrary to her words, she spread her fingers apart for him to put it easily.

“I wasn’t going to take no for an answer.”

“overconfident cheddar.”

“you know you have some unique insults when you’re sleepy.”

To that, Jaejoong puts her hands around his shoulders, “So what? You have to put up with forever.”

“that gives me second thoughts.”

“Yah!”

Her shriek was muffled by a kiss just to seal the deal. Yunho let her lean her entire weight on him while his hip pressed against his car. She was getting insistent when Yunho’s soldier instinct picked up something. Pulling away abruptly, he didn’t even give Jaejoong time to whine when he pulled her close as if shielding her.

“Yunho?” she queried but he was looking left and right for something in the dark street. She knows not to say anything further. His training has made him quite sensitive and saved them from paparazzi ambushes several times. Her hair stands on end as she feels a chill run down her spine and she buries her face further in his chest.

Yunho can’t spot anyone right now, but he’s pretty sure he felt someone lurking close by and that presence is still there. Not wanting to take any chances by staying here longer, he loosens her hold a little. “You know what to do.” Jaejoong nods against his chest. He’s given her those same instructions hundreds of times. - Don’t waste time, run inside. Lock the doors. Check the security system. Stay away from the windows.  Keep the phone close. “Go, now.” and she ran inside, past the gate and through the glass doors of the lobby. She didn’t even wait for the elevator, taking the bags and running up the stairs. She’d run up a couple of floors and take the elevators to her apartment on the ninth floor from there.

Yunho watched her till she was out of sight. He looked around once more till he narrowed his eyes at the wall almost 30 feet from them. that person is persistent. If it’s a paparazzi, he would just leave knowing those people target celebrities from a distance to protect themselves. But if it’s a crazed fan, he would not leave Jaejoong alone.

His brain is going a mile a second. He has to report to the airbase at 9 tomorrow. It’s a little farther than the base would be. But it’s a comfortable time if he leaves early. he notes he should send Lieutenant Shin a message to ready his gear because he won’t have the time to do it.

With one last look at the person behind that wall, making sure that person knows he has been noticed, Yunho entered the building compound leaving his car on the street. He could get 10 tickets for all he cared.

~~~

Yunho parked the Bentley outside the airbase where Shin Woobin was waiting for him. as predicted, his car was indeed towed away this morning. He forgot all about it and that creepy person as he and Jaejoong celebrated their engagement together. Even though he drives around in an expensive Range Rover courtesy of his father, this Bentley (Jaejoong’s prized possession) is unlike Captain Jung Yunho. still, Yunho is grateful his lieutenant doesn’t comment on it.

“You look to be in pleasant mood Jung Daewi.” Lieutenant Shin noted as he handed Yunho the duffel bag.

“What are you talking about?” Yunho said, murmuring a thanks for the bag in between, “I’m always a pleasant person.” and he laughed at the ridiculousness of that statement.

Lieutenant Shin playfully shuddered at that statement. “Jung Daewi, that’s scary even as a joke.” They looked at the airfield, where the chopper that will take them to their destination just landed. “Jung Daewi, permission to speak out of bounds.”

Yunho doesn’t have a readable expression, though someone as observant as his Lieutenant doesn’t need outward cues. He gauges Shin Woobin instead, knowing that his Lieutenant has been holding on to suspicions till his patience runs out. With the tiniest hint of a smile, Yunho nodded.

“Sir, you know as comrades you can trust me with your life right?” Yunho nodded without hesitation. “as much as you trust me with yours.” Was Yunho’s natural response to his fellow soldier.

“Sir do you also know that you can trust me anything anytime, not just your life on the battlefield?” Yunho’s eyes were questioning when Woobin said that. He knew this third generation soldier was sharp, but didn’t know this sharp. Thinking he needs to goad him further, Woobin spoke up, “keeping things between comrades will not work well on the frontlines.”

“We’re only meant to secure diplomatic missions Lieutenant. There’s no frontlines for you and me.”

“you know what I’m talking about.”

Yunho rolled his eyes. Apparently, Shin Woobin has indeed run out of patience. He began walking in the direction of the rest of the team with Woobin persistently walking beside him. “How long have you known?”

“Let’s just say  I should have ran 20 more laps.” Woobin looked away, afraid of his Captain’s reaction. But Yunho had an amused disbelieving look. “Aish! Jinjaa… Now how am I supposed to trust you with my life when I can’t even trust you to follow a simple order of closing your eyes?”

Yunho decided he’d have a good talk with his Lieutenant in private. He’s not sure how much details he should share with Woobin. But he decides to get at least one detail off his chest. “Now you’re the first person I’m telling this to…” Yunho felt bashful all of a sudden, a sight that both scared and amused Woobin, “I may be engaged.”

“WHAT!” Woobin’s shriek was met by a punch to his gut. The other soldiers looked in their direction, alerted by the Lieutenant’s girly scream and shocked at him getting a fist to his stomach by their Captain. Yunho shooed them off and they bloody well know they follow his order.

“Yah! Calm down. you can’t let anyone know.” Yunho whispered, forcefully straightening up Woobin and dusting his uniform to look presentable.

“But…but…” Woobin’s brain is malfunctioning even as he registers his Captain is brushing his shoulder a little too hard, “It’s Youngwoong Jaejoong! how can you- she- how- what-“ Woobin clutched Yunho’s collar in desperation, “But what about us? Her fans! She said the only ones she loves are her fans!”

“She said what?” Yunho growled. Oh his new fiancée is getting an earful later. His jaw was tight as he realised one more thing, “Yah… you fanboying over my fiancée?”

His hands still on his captain’s collar, Woobin realised he just lost it. with a yelp, he let go and hugged his bag. “Ha? What was that?” Woobin yelled randomly somewhere, “Uh… looks like I’m needed there Captain. Dangyeol.” He saluted him awkwardly and scampered off.

Yunho watched the Lieutenant run to their team ignoring their questions and ordering them to get on the helicopter. Yunho shook his head. Maybe he should give these idiots he’s stuck with a party when they’re back. Better yet, a drinking party in a foreign country sounds even more exciting.

Yunho put on his Aviators and walked to his men. He’s now Captain Jung and his men, even Lieutenant Shin Woobin know to get in the zone right now. After some last minute orders, they board the helicopter. Yunho looks at his watch, the one Jaejoong gave him all those years ago. it’s a little chipped and dented from his rough life, but still working and just as precious as a lucky charm.

He looks outside the chopper, knowing he won’t get to see the outside wor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter