_-4

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day came sooner than expected and Yunho is an internal mess. He looks mighty fine right now. a bunch of girls even ogled him on the way to the salon Jaejoong was getting ready at. He hopes he’s not trying too hard. He almost went black-tie formal to impress a certain woman but then had second thoughts. So he changed to a more semi-formal attire of dark jeans, a casual polo shirt and a dress jacket. He was satisfied he won’t stand out too much with this outfit. Now he thinks it’s too casual.

He’s shaking his legs in restlessness and he wonders if it’s because of the party or that other thing he has to do. Then he concludes that it’s a deadly mixture of both.

“I’m ready.” Yunho stood up when he heard Jaejoong’s cheerful voice and turned around only for his heart to stop. No wonder she’s cheerful. Even she knows she’s looking great.

She’s wearing a beige high-waisted pleated skirt with graphic prints and a figure-hugging lacy black top with a high-neck and cap sleeves. The ensemble made her waist look small, small enough for a man to wrap his arm around it. Her hair was in a loose up do with a delicate headband. A hint of her milky neck was visible to tease any man. But what really did it for Yunho are those bare legs that end in low-heeled pink pumps.

Yunho wanted to say something. Isn’t it common courtesy to compliment the woman if she’s looking this good? But where is his voice.

“Look! look!” Jaejoong made frantic gestures at him, not even noticing he’s tongue –tied enough. She ran to the back of the room and then back to where she stood earlier. “Tad-ah! I can walk without falling every five steps now.”

Yunho may look like he’s wiping something off his jaw, but he’s really trying to cover his amused smile. He would have said that no one can fall in those one-inch heels, but then he knows Jaejoong has a talent to trip on air too. He nods appreciatively while trying to cover his mouth, “very nice. The stylists know what they’re doing.”

“I know right. so did you do that thing you had to do?” At Jaejoong’s question, Yunho was reminded of his earlier dread and he felt his hands go clammy.

He shook his head, “Actually… I thought…could you come with me?... for moral support?” Jaejoong frowned. What’s this thing that he’s asking for her support? Nevertheless, he should know she will always have his back. With a reassuring smile, Jaejoong nodded.

~~~

Jaejoong looked around the place where the car is parked. “Where are we supposed to go?” Yunho mutely pointed to a building. She squinted her eyes to see but couldn’t make out what that place was. “What are we doing all the way here? There’s a good parking spot nearer to that place.”

“I know…” Yunho says, “I…I’m a little nervous.”

The Jung Yunho nervous? Jaejoong never thought that was possible. Now she’s concerned. “Wh-why? What’s there?”

“the military.”

“Oh…OH!”

Jaejoong understood after a heartbeat. Of course, it makes sense. Every healthy South Korean male such as Yunho has to do their mandatory military service. As normal as it was, a part of Jaejoong had a sinking feeling inside. How many months would it be without Yunho? Jaejoong knew that they wouldn’t be with Yunho forever, but she thought she’d have longer of their friendship/pseudo-romance or whatever it is they have. When he’s back, who knows if he’ll even remember her?

{Well Jaejoong, that’s the end of it. let’s make the most of the little time and not let his efforts go to waste} Jaejoong told herself to stay strong and then finally faced Yunho, “So, let’s go. I know you can do it…you can do anything. Two years will be over before you know it.”

Something about him doesn’t seem like the average male facing military service. There’s something deep when he looks down, almost guiltily and then looks at her like he’s sorry about something he didn’t do. “I’m not going for two years.”

She took a moment to process that and her eyes widened. He’s going to the military for good! That just nullifies her internal pep talk completely. It changes everything. Well, not exactly. Not being able to meet him while he’s in the military and him forgetting her completely are pretty much the same to her. It’s only at this point that she realizes how attached and dependent she has become to him. she was fooling herself into thinking that she’ll be fine if they go their separate ways. And here he’s expecting her to send him off happily!? How is she supposed to give him support now when she’s a mess of emotions herself?

“What are you thinking about?” really? He’s seriously asking her that? She can’t even answer herself here. With a pout, she shrugs. “your reaction is a lot calmer than my parents.” Oh, that’s right. his parents… she doesn’t think they took this news so well.

“you really following a military career?” he doesn’t reply but the answer is obvious, “Is this why you needed to get your grades up? If you’ve decided, why do you look so unsure?”

“Because I’m not sure if this is what I want to do or it’s a whim.”

“What?”

“I don’t know if I’m doing this because I want to or just to rebel against my parents.” He looked ahead, at where his future lay. “I had decided I’m not going to be what my parents want. But I wasn’t sure what to do either. But when I started my drafting process last year, I thought… this looks promising. I checked out the academy and they said my hapkido training make me a promising candidate. And I genuinely found the military life impressive. But…after I told my parents, I’m not sure myself.”

“Did they say something?”

“They said a lot. Mom is convinced I’m going to die in the frontlines or something. That’s the first motherly thing she has done. They knew I had to draft. They just thought I’d be back and do what they want me to do. They didn’t expect I’d take it as a permanent career. I honestly don’t care about the company, but they…they looked devastated. Why? I mean… I’m alive right now, aren’t I?”

Now Jaejoong understands. Yunho is confused at seeing his parents be like parents the first time. And he doesn’t need anyone to be confuse him more with conflicting emotions. He needs a nudge.

She mentally wills herself to not tremble and puts her hand on his shoulder, “You know what I think? I think you’re crazy to just decide like this. let me finish.” She interrupts when he opens his mouth, “but I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter