-20-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"President Cha, so glad you could make it." Miso greets Kangjoon and Soojung at the front door and welcomes them in.

Soojung walks past her snapping her fingers at a maid and dumping her coat and bag on her to reveal the gold evening gown she has on despite the fact that it's still afternoon and this wasn't the dress code. Now that she notices it, Soojung has clearly had her hair and makeup done by a professional. Her father is in a suit too, the kind he's known to wear when he has cocktails at the country club with his friends.

And Miso, who is as meticulous as someone in her job can get, was pretty sure they were informed this is a casual gathering when they were told the venue and time. Just how ridiculous they have to be to ignore the host's requests!

"Agassi," Miso says with a polite authority that comes with working for Han Seungyeon. "Is that what you're wearing to the party?"

Soojung's nose wrinkles when this woman dares question her custom-made gown, "Of course. It is a party is it not?"

"Yes, but it is an informal gathering. I'm not sure you'll be comfortable in what you're wearing."

"A party is a party. And we dress to impress." Kangjoon scoffs, a move that almost made Miso snap that she knows who he is trying and failing to impress.

Sure the Chas are old money much like the Jungs. But they've lost most of their wealth, status, and respect in recent years due to Cha Kangjoon's mismanagement. Even then These people's false sense of entitlement that they should enter a marital alliance with the Jungs is appalling. Miso is all for dressing up for yourselves and not for others, but on this occasion, they're going to look like fools and well, it's all on them.

Without a word she leads them to the lounge which isn't all that crowded. But there's a long table with food and a few of the house staff tending to it.

"Yah Cha Kangjoon!" Jung Woosung strolls over to his friend, "overdressed much?" Kangjoon takes in Woosung's appearance. The polo shirt and trousers with the bottle of soju in his hand stand out way too much against his suit and suddenly he's conscious of Miso sniggering in his peripheral vision. "Aren't you underdressed?" Kangjoon counters lamely.

"I wrote a very fat alimony check that paid for this house. So I'm going to kick back and do the I want!" Woosung says a bit loud, presumably to let his ex-wife hear wherever she is. Even if she doesn't Miso will duly convey it.

 Woosung turns his attention to Soojung. He noticed her before, because who wouldn't. She's dressed to be noticed. But he and everyone else has been instructed to not feed her constant need for attention today and the Jungs should especially not do anything to lead her on.

"Soojungie, how wonderful to see you. I heard you returned recently."

 "Nice to see you Abeonim!" Soojung formally bows to him, not noticing Woosung frown at the Abeonim. What happened to Uncle? What is she getting at?

"Yeah... heheh..." Woosung laughs it off awkwardly. "So... I heard you're engaged. I don't see your fiance."

"Oh Soojung's not engaged...yet." Kangjoon cuts in, "It's me. I got engaged. And she might be the one. She can't come today though. She's checking out this house we will live in after the wedding."

"You idiot!" Snarls Woosung startling his friend, "You're getting married again! You've got your priorities upside down. Look after your daughter first. God forbid you neglect her and she does something like run off to the army." Woosung takes a sip of his soju, "Well, actually it's not such a bad thing."

He glances at the both of them, petrified by his little outburst. "Anyway, everyone is playing soccer outside. There's no drinks today coz my daughter-in-law and her friends don't want to drink around their pregnant friend. But if you want you can join me for a drink in the dining room."

Kangjoon accepts the offer and lets Miso lead Soojung outside. Miso doesn't slow her pace for Soojung, wanting to get this over with so she can enjoy the party.

Soojung trips on her stilettos and apparently once is her limit. "Why is everyone outside!" She whines.

"Oh! Haven't you seen Youngwoong's Vogue interview?" Miso snaps, albeit with forced politeness. "Everyone knows the landscaping on this estate is outstanding. And Choi Seunghyun got a few games so they can play outside."

 "Who is this Youngwoong and Choi Seunghyon?"

"Some of the best idols in this country."

Soojung sniffs, now beginning to notice this lowly employee's condescending tone. "I don't know any Korean celebrities."

"Oh then you should start by finding out about Youngwoong. She recently guest edited for Vogue." Miso smirks at this silly girl, "Have you been in Vogue?"

 Soojung would've made it known how offended she is by that slight but Miso doesn't give her the opportunity, going out and not even holding the door open for her. Huffing, Soojung stomps out intending to complain to Yunho or Seungyeon. Instead she's taken aback by the sight.

There's a whole crowd of good-looking people gathered here. Soojung is used to making people at parties insecure with her beauty and wealth. But here she's standing out like a sore thumb. Partly because of her outfit. These people are mostly in jeans and breezy casuals. And nobody seems to have paid attention to hair and makeup like she did.

A little commotion alerts her to Seungyeon standing among a group of people seated on patio chairs cheering at the other people running around in a patch of open space. Soojung awkwardly walks to Seungyeon's side, belatedly seeing the baby stuck on her hip. "Omoni!"

"Huh?" Seungyeon is a surprised who other than Jaejoong called her Omoni. But relaxes seeing Soojung. She's not even surprised at her choice of outfit. "Oh Soojungie! You're finally here!" She gestures at an empty spot on the chair between Minyoung and Somin. "You can sit here. Grab a bite."

 Soojung awkwardly sits on the long lawn chair when Somin scoots closer to Minyoung. "So is there an amuse bouche course or will someone get me a plate?" Soojung asks the women around her.

Somin immediately jumps to get the platter of burgers and sandwiches, "Please help yourself. Don't feel shy. There's a lot." Soojung looks at the greasy burger and cringes. Stiffly she takes a sandwich with as minimal contact with her hand as possible so this drab girl will get that platter away from her. "There's also fried chicken and pasta if you want."

"That's okay." Soojung wishes this woman who clearly doesn't belong here to shut up or better yet get away from her. Somin can sense that ‘get lost’ vibe from her but Minyoung patting her knee and giving her a look is comforting.

"Ommo! Changwook scored again!" Seungyeon cheers getting Soojung's attention on the soccer playing group. She doesn't see Yunho with the many people running around or standing, blocking her view. But she can hear him.

"Yah Minjoon! I thought you were loyal."

"I am loyal sir! That's why I'm going easy on you!"

"You're going to pay for this!"

"Aigoo~ Daejang is so competitive!" Minyoung laughs, pretty sure her husband and friends have found something that they can best Yunho in.

"Unnie, the only reason they're winning because Woobin oppa is an unfair referee." Somin quips, laughing as she spots Woobin blatantly ignoring Geunseuk cheating.

Thanks to Geunseuk’s tripping Joongi, Seojoon kicks the ball really far that it went flying and bounced on Jaejoong’s head.

“Ouch! That’s the fourth time she got hit.” Seungyeon sighs, “It’s like she’s a magnet for these kind of things.”

“Yah Park Seojoon! I’m on your team!” Jaejoong yells while getting comforted by Yunho. “Yah you bastards stop hitting my wife!” Yunho’s warning has them all playfully cowering and Woobin showing him the yellow card for verbal abuse.

Soojung frowns seeing Yunho hug that woman whose face is barely visible behind his arm. And did he call her his “wife?”

“Aish~ Daejang is just too protective of Jae!” Minyoung whines as if Yunho’s overprotectiveness is extreme.

“Unnie, don’t pretend Changwook oppa didn’t go ballistic when you were near the playing area.” Somin teases Minyoung about that incident half hour ago when Changwook physically carried her and placed her on the chair like a crystal trophy. She could understand if he thought she’d be hit by the ball or something but he thought their overexcited friends might accidentally tackle her.

“That’s how husbands are Sominnie,” Seungyeon interjects affectionately before she scowls, “At least how they ought to be. On the day of my wedding, I fell during our grand entrance as husband and wife. And my ty new husband just walked on without me!”

"I was the one who tripped you. Why would I pick you up?" Woosung is suddenly standing not far from them making Seungyeon harrumph at his very presence.

Kangjoon and Soojung have a visible telepathic conversation which they pretend to not see. Minyoung is a helpful distraction in that.

"I don't get it. Why did you marry if you don't like each other?" She gestures between Woosung and Seungyeon.

"It's what they call a political marriage darling." Seungyeon gives Woosung a smug side-eye, "I was quite the catch. All the famous families were queuing up to get me to marry them."

"Yet your father married you to the one family who wasn't courting you." Seungyeon scoffs exaggeratedly like Woosung told a big lie. "Your father wanted to merge our businesses to compete against that rival conglomerate. I was a collateral."

"Puh-leez! You milked our marriage and our divorce for all its worth. I should at least get credit for putting up with your self-obsessed till Yunho was 10."

"I was the one who put up with you, you stupid Mola!"

"I was the one who put up with you troglodytes since the day I was born."

The bickering exes find Yunho glowering at them. The group of celebrities pretend they didn't watch the whole fight by doing odd things like stretching or playing rock-paper-scissors behind him. "Aish! At least behave in front of your grandson." Yunho takes Changmin away from his mother much to Seungyeon's protests. Changmin frets and makes grabby hands at someone behind Yunho's shoulder. "Yeah, yeah come here!" Changmin is switched hands from Yunho to Jaejoong. Soojung momentarily gawks at this woman holding the baby.

Beautiful would be an understatement and for a person like Soojung who isn't used to losing in appearances it's nerve-wracking.

"Youngwoong unnie, you're a mess!" Wait, Youngwoong? This drab girl called that pretty woman Youngwoong?

"I know right! Everybody kept hitting me with the ball!" Jaejoong pointedly glares at Changwook who hit her twice. She didn't realise she just confirmed her identity for Soojung who briefly glances at Miso in the distance.

Soojung is so distracted she doesn't realize the sandwich in her hand has spilled staining her dress with mayonnaise, tomato, and sauce.

"Ommo! Your dress!" Jaejoong is suddenly pointing at her and the others gasp collectively. It's only then does she feel the damp patch on her lap and finds the contents of her sandwich on her one of a kind dress.

"Kyaaaaa~" Soojung shrieks and stands in horror, causing the spillage to drop lower and stain her dress more.

"Oh no... what a disaster..." Heechul deadpans, biting into her own sandwich. Perhaps only Seungyeon shares her snarkiness because the older woman is raising a glass of her cocktail to the diva in compliment.

"Daddy~!" Soojung shrieks at her father to do something immediately.

"I bet she expects daddy to magically make it disappear." Yunho mutters making Joongi next to him snigger and earning a light punch on his arm from Jaejoong for his snide comment. "I need to clean up myself. So..." Jaejoong looks around expectantly till Seungyeon supplies the name Soojung, "Soojung-ssi, I have a change of clothes. Why don't we get you out of that dress..." Jaejoong offers her hand to Soojung and if she wasn't so dazzled she'd be slapping that Yunho-stealing hand away. But instead she's mutely taking it and following Jaejoong like a puppy.

"Wait for me! I need to pee!" Minyoung is helped out of the chair by Changwook and Yunho so she can waddle behind Jaejoong and Soojung while clutching her belly where she can feel that extreme squeeze of desperation.

Yunho urgently signals Heechul to go after them and she does. Yunho did say that she's the only one who can handle Soojung and damn her if she lets some bratty little kitten out-diva her.

"Quick! Everybody get a drink before Minyoung gets back!" Geunseuk shouts making everyone laugh or play along.

"Hey! You're supposed to be considerate to my wife!" Changwook feigns anger while Geunseuk looks playfully affronted.

"I can't believe you're accusing me of pretending to be nice only when Minyoung is around."

 "Yeah, he's a piece of to everyone's face!" Seunghyun quips.

"Hey Daejang, maybe you have those coupons from when Jae was pregnant!" Seungho says that while shooting a mischievous look to Geunseuk.

Though Changwook promised not to unless the occasion to blackmail arises, he still showed the video on his big TV at Minyoung's small baby shower.

"Don't worry. Minyoung already took care of that." Changwook pulls out a small stack of cards and shoves it in Geunseuk's hands.

"Why are you giving them all to me?!"

"Minyoung spent three hours making them especially for you. Thanks for the idea Daejang!" Changwook and Yunho exchange high fives. "Yah! These are all for getting ice cream at 2 a.m.!" Geunseuk yells, not realizing that he is not obligated to follow the handmade coupons nor will he be made to. But who is Changwook to kill the fun. "Ne! And Minyoung also said that if you don't do it she will make you eat kimchi ice cream." Changwook pats his arm as if he's thanking him for a job well done.

They all teasingly praise Geunseuk on his noble deed while heading to the table of food inside. "Don't forget to call it this time okay. There's no alternate option." Yunho advises, before putting his arm around Geunseuk to drag him along with the others.

Watching all the young celebrities play around in her house made Seungyeon sigh blissfully. "They're all so beautiful... inside and out."

"Yeah... I'm glad Yunho found such good friends." Woosung agrees but jumps when Seungyeon hovers her hand in front his face. "If you had even 10% of their good looks you would still be married."

"Right back at ya!" Retorts Woosung, but doesn't go for the more scathing remark he originally thought of because she's the host and they're supposed to be on their best behaviour. He turns to the unusually silent Kangjoon, whose hold on his glass of whiskey is dangerously slack. And are his eyes shining? If there's a physical embodiment of a starstruck cartoon in real life, his silly friend would be it. "You okay there buddy?" Woosung shakes his shoulder a bit making Kangjooon turn to him slowly and mouth something incoherent. "What? I didn't catch that..."

"Pa...iin...ae..."

"huh? Did you drink too much?"

"Park Shinhye..." Kangjoon manages to say more clearly now. "That was Park Shinhye!"

"Yes, isn't she lovely!" Seungyeon chirps behind Kangjoon, talking more to her ex-husband. "She was telling me about her next movie and it's very interesting. I might just call with an offer to be producer." Woosung looks impressed but he wants Seungyeon to focus on the old fanboy right now. "I forgot that you're a fan of Park Shinhye. I don't know if you noticed, Park Minyoung was there too."

Kangjoon whimpers in excitement and pleasure. Woosung knows his friend has a thing for some of the top actresses right now. He tends to act tad immature with no boundaries when it comes to being a fan.

Woosung had forgotten about his ‘You're Beautiful’ obsession years ago because he was dealing with an obstinate son who refused to leave the army. Which reminds him, "Did you notice Jang Geunseuk too?"

Kangjoon let's out a gasp. "Did you call of my favourites for me?!" Woosung and Seungyeon exchange loaded glances. "No! Not everything is about you! They're my daughter-in-law's friends."

"What's with this daughter-in-law you keep talking about? Your son didn't get married. Why do you have to lie to break my daughter's heart?" And he says it with such conviction as if he caught them red handed but really he's only making them see red.

"President Cha," Seungyeon snarls in a clipped tone, "Mind your words. You're acting like an ignorant fool."

Woosung gestures at her to calm down and let him handle it before she sinks to more crass name-calling. "Kangjoon, listen to me carefully. Our son is married to Youngwoong Jaejoong. Did you not see here just now?"

Kangjoon looks between Woosung talking to him like he's a child and a seething Seungyeon. "Of course I know Youngwoong! I love her!..." a thought strikes him and he narrows his eyes at Woosung with an accusatory look. "Are you trying to set up your son with Youngwoong? Even though you know I'm her biggest fan! That's why you rejected my daughter?"

Woosung scowls at his thickheaded friend and Seungyeon is about ready

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter