-7-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moving day arrived soon enough and Minyoung was pissed. "I still can't believe you picked today to move." She snarls while they wait for Minyoung's manager outside their new home.

"Hey, it's not like it's the first time we're moving in together." Changwook nonetheless compensates it with a few minutes of closeness, putting his arm around her and pulling her close. He doesn't do more because he knows their friends are eavesdropping through any window they can see them from.

"It's not like last time...we could wait few more weeks." Minyoung argues mournfully.

"I know. But we have to plan practically. By the time your drama wraps up, I start filming my new drama. We already delayed moving because of my fanmeeting."

"But I wanted to set up."

"Think of it this way... you found the house, so I'll set it up. I have plenty of help, though I think they're all useless." Changwook peeks behind him spotting Heechul slip behind the wall. "I'm sure you'll end up rearranging most of the things."

"Meh...I trust you know my taste." They See the familiar van approaching so Changwook releases her from the half embrace. "That's my ride. Make our house pretty." Minyoung gives him a peck and jogs over to where her van has stopped before getting in.

Once the van is out of sight Changwook walks to the gate to close it but halts when he heard a car honk. Lieutenant Shin pulls up in his car in front of the gate and waves him over. "Hyung! Are you coming from Jaejoong's place?" Changwook peeks inside through the open window and notices Woobin's business attire.

"Yeah. I have a message from them. They've invited you and your friends to lunch. So take a break when you can."

"Sure. How's Jae doing?"

"She looks worse today if you ask me. It's scary to think she has to endure another month of this."

Changwook winces, hurting for his friend who has endured a tough few weeks recently. Jaejoong's old knee injury from a dancing accident began acting up in her third trimester. It got worse few days ago when she started experiencing unnatural pain in her back. It got so severe that she's been unable to hold down food and has been throwing up due the pain.

The last time Changwook saw her was last week sobbing to Yunho to make the pain stop. Without announcing his presence Changwook left as quietly as he came, telling the Jungs' house staff to not tell Yunho and Jaejoong he was there because he was sure Jaejoong would feel worse about not noticing their friend.

"Hyung, I don't think we should go over yet. The guys and I want to avoid imposing or disturbing them."

"It's your call. Though I think she'd feel bad if she didn't get to meet all of you. She's looking forward to have all her friends together after so long. And look," Woobin shows a piece of paper, "she's feeling better enough to give me a list of desserts she wants. Her friends could be more therapeutic than you think."

"I guess you're right. Would be nice to see her."

"And I'll be back with coffee for everyone in a few hours."

"Cool. See you later." Changwook steps back and Woobin drives away. When he's back inside the house everyone is pretending to be useful. "Aigoo... everything is exactly how it was delivered. Has anyone even opened the boxes yet?"

"I did!" Chirps Seungho from the couch. "I unwrapped the couch."

"The couch was never wrapped." Sneers Changwook. "And you've been sleeping on it for an hour." Accused Hankyung.

"Can we at least finish one room first?" Changwook instructs everyone to arrange the furniture in the living room while Heechul is on brand, helping everyone by nagging.

When the new furniture is delivered Seunghyun and Taejoon are delegated to help the delivery people bring it in. Seunghyun nonetheless makes his displeasure clear on the way outside, "Yah Ji Changwook! You better feed me for doing this hard labour a week after my discharge."

He’s particularly miffed that his friends were too busy to welcome him back because they wanted to clear their schedules to help Changwook and Minyoung move. Taejoon apologizes for it on everyone's behalf, tugging him outside.

"Yeah... yeah... you'll be fed. Jae called us over for lunch. So whenever you guys are hungry we'll head over there." Changwook checks the time, reckoning they've been working for two hours straight.

Heechul, who's taken on the lighter task of unwrapping and arranging the two actors' trophies on the shelves, pauses what she's doing. "Did you see Jae yet?"

"Not since that thing last week. Woobin hyung said she's a lot worse today."

"I don't know guys... we can't throw her a baby shower till she gets better." Geunseuk sighs, losing his earlier enthusiasm and slumping on the couch between Seungho and Shinhye. "Why don't we replan till after she gives birth? We can throw a party for the baby's homecoming." Shinhye suggests. "That's not a bad idea. We won't have to wait around for Jaejoong to be less sick to have a last minute baby shower." Hankyung in particular has been inconvenienced the most because Heechul won't let him miss the baby shower and he has work in China.

"We still have time till the baby comes. We could pick a date and clear our schedules for it." Seungho shows his phone that's open to a kids shopping website. "We can get better gifts too. Didn't you say that work on the nursery has been on hold while Jae is sick?"

"Yeah, the things for the crib and other furniture weren't unpacked last week. The staff could do it but Daejang wants to do it himself."

Changwook had only just said it when Seunghyun and Taejoon burst through the door. "Guys, something has happened!" Seunghyun's voice tells of his panic which in turn worries everyone else. It doesn't help that Taejoon is pointing outside frantically, "An ambulance entered Jae's house!"

In seconds they are all rushing outside just as the ambulance drives out of the estate followed by three cars driven by different personnel on the Jungs' personal security staff.

"Was that Jihoon sunbae?" Seungho points at the last car where he recognized the veteran idol in the front passenger seat.

"Oh no~ it's Jaejoong isn't it? Please don't let anything happen to her." Shinhye is close to tears in panic prompting Taejoon to pull her into a consoling hug even if he was terrified a minute ago.

Changwook doesn't waste any time, running across the street and entering the Jung estate without any interruptions. The staff there know him and the others well enough to stop them with pointless security protocol. The others follow soon enough, stumbling through the ajar front door. The people in this house's staff are visibly anxious when they arrive indicating something has indeed happened as they feared.

"Kang Ajhumma!" At Changwook's urgent tone, the head housekeeper shoos the staff to away and approaches the group of celebrities. "Ajhumma, what happened? We saw an ambulance!"

The old woman is hesitant about worrying the guests but she also knows she can't keep it from them. "We're not really sure. We only heard the madam yell her water broke. It was chaos after that. By the time the EMTs arrived she was unconscious."

"! This is too much!" Heechul is close to hyperventilating that she's about to turn red. Hankyung grabs her hand giving whatever semblance of assurance he can give while he's close to pulling his hair too.

"Wh-what should we do? Should we go to the hospital?" Seungho looks around at his friends who are older than he is but none are in a state of mind to assure him. "Yeah because a dozen celebrities at a hospital won't attract attention." Geunseuk snaps prompting Seunghyun to pull him a little away from the crowd to calm him down.

"Actually the chairman's personal security is at the hospital for privacy. They plan to secure a whole wing for the madam." Mrs. Kang intends well but they can't help but feel she's too naive to underestimate the kind of inconvenience a group of celebrities can cause in this situation. "There's nothing we can do. Let's just go back and wait for some news." Taejoon ushers his friends out the door including Seunghyun and Geunseuk.

"Ajhumma please tell us if you hear from Daejang and the others." Heechul implores as Hankyung and Changwook tug her back to Changwook and Minyoung's house. "You think I should call Minyoung?" Changwook asks the both of them as they all trudge down the driveway. "Let's not distract her while she's working. We might hear from Jae by the time Minyoung is home." Hankyung says but not too convincingly.

A couple of hours later they've barely done anything. Everything that had to be delivered was done and the delivery people were sent back. But neither of them could concentrate on setting up the house.

Things were shifted only if they came in the way but each one mostly kept to themselves if they're not pacing about or talking to their managers. Things got a little more tense and a little quieter when Kang Ajhumma arrived with food and a message that Jaejoong has been taken in for a c-section.

They're yet to hear anything from them and they're all getting antsy that the slightest mention of Jaejoong is making them frazzled. So when Changwook gets a text from Woobin he goes up to the bedroom to read it.

If it's bad he'll not tell the others yet. But Woobin's text is neither good nor bad for his anxiety. All he says is that Jaejoong has been in surgery for 30 minutes.

Feeling despondent, Changwook slumps on the bed that was delivered that morning when they were all smiles about moving in to their new home. He doesn't want to worry the others. But it's too frightening to mull over it alone.

Without much thought he texts Minyoung a sad emoji as he habitually does when he's feeling down. He only realizes he did so when Minyoung calls him back two seconds later.

"Aren't you busy?" He asks her as soon as he answers.

"Lunch break. I'm in my van. So what happened? Was there a mistake in the delivery? Something not fitting through the door? Electric issues? Did the house burn down? Hah! The couch is ivory instead of vanilla! I knew I should've gone to the store myself. But no, I had to be lazy and order it online. I tell you online shopping is going to ruin us-"

"Minyoung-ah..." the mournful tone tells Minyoung that this isn't about their house. It's about someone they know. Only one name comes to mind when she thinks of people she knows who could cause such distress in Changwook's voice. "Did something happen to Jaejoong?"

"Hmm... she was rushed to the hospital a few hours ago. Woobin hyung said they will do an emergency c-section on her."

"... how are the others taking it?"

"Not very well... same as me..."

"hey...this is Jaejoong. She may be timid but she's a stronger soldier than her husband. I've seen her spirit when she was in a worse situation than I was."

"I don't know how Daejang is taking it. We saw a glimpse of Jihoon sunbae and he looked like a ghost."

He hears the doorbell but doesn't move knowing one of the people downstairs will get it.

"Please! Husbands have been going pale and more over childbirth for centuri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter