-19-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minyoung is oblivious to everything around her as she's engrossed in the video playing on her phone. It wasn't until her hairstylist plucks one earphone from her ear and politely informs her, "Minyoung-ssi, we're done," does Minyoung notice Jaejoong checking herself in the mirror beside her.

Jaejoong had changed into a mint green blazer and shorts ensemble after getting her hair and makeup done. Minyoung herself needs to change into the pastel blue dress her stylist says will make her small baby bump look cute. But she needs a certain someone's very strong arms to help her out of this very inconvenient salon chair. Till then she's content waiting in said chair.

"Just finished watching your Vogue video." Minyoung shows her phone to Jaejoong. "Pretty cool!"

"Is it? What did you think about that photograph from Heechul's party?" Jaejoong momentarily glances at the stairs at back, aware that the guys would be coming down it any second. And if Ji Changwook has discovered there are photos of Minyoung's impromptu pregnancy photoshoot, she wants to stay near Minyoung's protective radius.

"I think there were better pictures from that day that could give my husband a heart attack."

"I'll keep that for another photo spread of only y photos."

"By the way," Minyoung glances at the waiting area where Yunho is entertaining Changmin with a low budget puppet show of plushies. "Did you intentionally not talk about Daejang's work or did they edit it out?"

Jaejoong leans her hip on the table, shaking her head. "I had made it clear that I will not go into details about his work. Even if he's not a soldier anymore his work was classified. And we don't want to publicize he's running his parents’ company either. It would be easier to let people assume my husband is still a soldier or in a non-soldier job."

"This must be your boldest interview yet..."

"No, my boldest interview is when I blurted I was engaged and made people think I was pregnant and had a nose job all at the same time. Although technically that wasn't an interview..." while Jaejoong is deliberating if that hilariously dramatic (everyone but Joohyun has found a way to laugh it off) press conference counts, their co-stars are coming down after getting all dressed up in their smart suits.

Now a part of Minyoung is feeling left out because everyone is wearing a blazer style and only she's in a dress. It's not maternity wear but she doesn't have anything appropriate for the movie's press conference except the dress. Her stylist has been very busy procuring those outfits when she decided to make more press appearances during her pregnancy and Minyoung doesn't want to complain.

Changwook hops off the stairs and goes straight to Minyoung. "Hi!" She's excited to see him even though he's been out of sight for only 30 minutes and gives him a little greeting kiss. "You look good. Nice suit!"

"Really? I don't look like a cranberry popsicle?" Minyoung glares at Taejoon at that because only he would dare to precious puppy like handsome husband with that. And also she heard him mutter a "Cran-Wook" under his breath. That's just not going to pass with her. Especially when they all look like a popsicle menu or dressed up power rangers with their solid coloured outfits today.

But they were told to dress colourfully to match their romantic comedy vibe and Taejoon in his taxi banana-themed yellow suit will not insult her yummy Cran-Wook. So when Changwook helps her out of the chair, she stomps to the changing room, punching Taejoon in the stomach on the way.

"It was a joke!" He coughs out, holding his stomach and dramatically looking for sympathy. "Oh it up! She didn't hit you that hard!" Seojoon scoffs, swatting the whiny actor's hands off his pale purple suit before it wrinkles. "And you deserved it!" Changwook huffs, putting on purposeful display of pettiness. His bodyguard maybe tiny but she can literally pack a punch.

Speaking of whom, she's left a mess of a half-eaten pint of ice cream and tissues while getting her hair done. Changwook gets rid of the tissues and puts the lid back on the ice cream container. While doing that he notices her phone is still playing Jaejoong's interview. "Ah... we were watching it earlier too..." Changwook points at Minyoung's phone. Joongi peeks at what he's referring too and nods in confirmation.

Changwook pauses the video and locks her phone before turning to Jaejoong. "Can I have my pregnant wife's half pictures please?"

"Nope!" Jaejoong pops the last syllable playfully. "Why not?"

"Because the other wives and girlfriends are half in them!"

 "What?!" Taejoon squawks. "How come I don't know anything about this?"

"Who goes around telling people topless photos of themselves exist," Jaejoong counters. "But if you guys want it that bad, do what Heechul did. Cut out Minyoung and Shinhye from the prints and make a collage of their pictures for your birthdays."

"Did Heechul give that to Han?" Asks Taejoon, slightly peeved. Behind him Joongi asks Changwook who Han is and Changwook explains Heechul is dating the Chinese idol.

"Chul gave one to Han, I gave one to Yunho. What's your point?" Jaejoong deadpans, eyes narrowed at the other.

"Just that..." Taejoon's voice cracks in fear and he blurts, "I didn't think there were enough pictures for a collage."

"Like I said, we don't announce we have those kind of pictures..." Jaejoong's lips curl in a smirk seeing Taejoon sweat, his wonderment that his girlfriend might have those pictures and the temptation of a picture collage like that very clear on his face.

Jaejoong is lying about the whole thing - Minyoung had put her top back on at Heechul's party and the rest of their photos from that day were fully clothed and Also Jaejoong never gifted a collage of her y pictures to Yunho though Heechul did give Hankyung a provocative portrait of herself - but it's fun to prank Taejoon. It'll be even more fun when she tells Shinhye he was ing over a non-existent y photo collage.

Minyoung returns in her dress then muttering litany of "my ice cream." Changwook hands her the ice cream when Joongi noticed something. "Minyoung are you going barefeet?" Their eyes go to Minyoung's feet and sure enough even her socks she was wearing that morning are missing. "Huh... I was pretty sure I was wearing my sneakers..."

Changwook had to pinch that impending headache in the bridge of his nose at the prospect of a shoe turning up in an unlikely place like the very expensive Gucci pumps that turned up in the washing machine. Just as he was going to ask the others to help find her shoes, Minyoung's stylist rushes into the salon. "Oh great! You're still here!" She exclaims in relief, placing a garment bag on the nearest chair.

"I was waiting for you. I thought I'd have to wear my sneakers to this event." Minyoung sits on the chair with Changwook's help waiting for her stylist to help her with a pair of shoes. But when she gets a pair of flat ballerinas, Minyoung's lip curl. Now she's going to look tinier than everyone. "I'm not going to have people mom shame you about heels because of me." The stylist remarks knowing exactly what she's thinking.

"She's wearing heels!" Minyoung points at Jaejoong's pumps that are not as high as she would have worn. "They're like two inches. I broke my toenail and these are the only ones that fit with the bandage." Jaejoong counters but Minyoung still pouts. Until Seojoon asks the important question everyone seems to have forgotten. "So you didn't misplace your shoes?"

"Oh no! I did!" Minyoung points in the general direction of the changing room. "I can't for the life of me figure out where I kept the sneakers I was wearing when I woke up."

"Woke up?" Seojoon and the others look at Changwook for an explanation. His irritation is confirmation enough. "We don't take off shoes anymore so we don't misplace them in the shower or in bed." Joongi reaches for his shoulder to give him a consolation squeeze. He's been having to do that a lot lately.

Putting his own displeasure aside Changwook coaxes Minyoung to wear the flat shoes and helps her out of the chair again. "And I also found you this!" The stylist opens the garment bag to show a navy blue jacket that made Minyoung squeal. "Took me a while to find the right size in the right colour..." She brings it out carefully revealing it's a cape style that would still show off the lace details of Minyoung's long sleeved dress.

"Were they all too small?" Taejoon earns a hit in his stomach a second time from Joongi for implying the pregnant woman is fat.

"Too big!" The stylist snaps heatedly. They can't be sure she's trying to salvage the situation for Taejoon or saying the truth. "It's not easy finding this style without being too baggy. I had to alter this to make it narrower." As the stylist declares that, Minyoung has slipped into the blazer and immediately brightens up.

"Okay, let's get going..." Joongi gives Jaejoong his arm to take which she does with a giggle. Changwook holds Minyoung's waist even though she doesn't exactly need help walking. "Yah hyung! Why do you get to partner with Jaejoong!?" Taejoon accuses his senior, miffed when he and Seojoon are left out.

Joongi merely gestures at his suit and then at Jaejoong, "White suit equals Prince Charming for Snow White."

"Besides, you two make a good pair. Like strawberry banana ice cream." Jaejoong gestures at the double-Joon as they've dubbed them.

"I want strawberry banana ice cream..." Minyoung whimpers mournfully upset that she's got lite vanilla ice cream. When that is plucked away from her hand she is close to crying. "No!" Changwook holds the tub away, "If you go through the press con without ice cream and eat your lunch, you can have strawberry-banana ice cream." Minyoung pouts but takes the deal nonetheless. He's been pulling this trick for a few days now and she knows he truly won't let her have her way.

"Nice! You're starting to sound like a real dad!" Joongi praises him. But Jaejoong is visibly peeved. "You're starting to sound like Yunho."

"Where do you think I learned it." Changwook punctuates with a wink, leading Minyoung out of the salon.

Joongi herds Double-Joon to follow them when they act like tantrum-throwing brats. Outside, Yunho holds out what appears to be a plastic strawberry towards Changwook while wiping the remains of milk off Changmin's face with his free hand. "Don't lose it. It's Jaejoong's favourite flashdrive." Changwook cautiously pockets it as Yunho explains, "it's the 'pregnancy photoshoot' Jaejoong took of your wife. Unfortunately they're not as explicit as you were made to believe."

Changwook feigned a gasp and throws an accusatory glance at his sniggering wife. "You raised my hopes!"

"You took my ice cream!" Minyoung retorts. "Touché!" He relents, nudging her to keep walking to the waiting van outside after they excused themselves to Yunho.

He was getting Changmin out of his carrier when Double-Joon and Joongi noisily greeted him on the way out. Only Jaejoong lingers behind basking in that adoring look Yunho is giving her. "Do I look that good?"

"Very much... reminds me of the time you got dressed up in a salon like this and your makeup got ruined because of some jerk who wasn't honest with you."

"Hey! I'm married to that jerk!" Jaejoong playfully glares at him. Changmin fusses then, making that demanding whimper when he's hungry. Jaejoong walks to them and nuzzles Changmin's cheek, "you really are a food monster aren't you? But a very cute food monster."

"Food monster has a business meeting after lunch."

"Oh? So Minnie's conducting business? Intimidating some old prunes in suits with his stinky diapers?" A knock on the glass door gets their attention on Seojoon gesturing at Jaejoong to hurry. "We're both going to be late..." Yunho gives her a good luck smooch before she pecks Changmin's forehead. "I'll see you two at dinner."

Yunho walks her to the waiting van and waits by the street till the celebrity car sets off to the venue for the press conference. Yunho sends a quick text to someone and seconds later two SUVs pull over near him.

Miran steps out of the first one and takes Changmin from Yunho, swiftly securing him in his car seat. "Change of plans. Take him home. I'm going to the office." Miran knows better than to disobey when Yunho's voice takes that intimidating tone. She knows the person who caused it is in a load of trouble and she doesn't want to be around for it. She quickly shuts the door once she's seated and the vehicle leaves.

When they've gone, Yunho goes to the other vehicle and sits in the backseat. "Yu..." the guard in the passenger seat on the front turns to him giving him his full attention. "The second-floor cafe across the street. Make sure you find out who and what he works for before you delete the photographs."

"Yes sir..." Yu steps out of vehicle. But before he shuts the door Yu tells the driver to head straight to the office with Yunho. It was only after Yu discreetly blends in with the crowd of office goers crossing the street does Yunho's car set off leaving the bodyguard to take care of the nosy paparazzi.

~~~

Woobin was already waiting for him in his office when he arrived. "Yello! How are the kids?"

"Beautiful as always. I'm telling you, a celebrity salon shouldn't need lights. Those guys are too blinding." Yunho sits on his chair, his teasing smile curling in slight disdain. "All of them in one place is a magnet for flies with long lens cameras."

"You caught a paparazzo?"

"I left one of the guys to take care of it."

Woobin shakes his head, unable to fathom how do his celebrity friends deal with this kind of invasive nosiness. "You think he got any pictures of you and Changmin? Or maybe they were targeting Minyoung?"

"I'm not that worried. The salon had this one-way glass on the outside and the actual work area is far from the entrance." Yunho gesticulates the space with his hands, "I don't think that photographer was there for long. I noticed this suspicious guy was waiting across the street when Park Seojoon was calling for Jaejoong from outside. Seojoon knew it's one-way glass and Jaejoong can see outside but I doubt that guy realized. He only went inside the nearest building to hide when Jaejoong and I came out. Seriously! By far the most amateur pap!"

"It's obvious his target was Youngwoong's family and not Park Minyoung..."

the sound of Yunho's private elevator gets Woobin's attention and he peeks at the hallway through the clear glass panels on the wooden door. "Looks like your security people took care of it." As he says that Yu and Minjoon barge in. But Yu's frazzled state is not what he expected.

 "What is it? Did that guy threaten to sue or something?" Yunho drawls, hand on his phone to call his legal team immediately. Yu is confused for a second before he remembers his employer has no idea what happened. "Uh... no! That guy was no big deal. He was not even a photographer, let alone an amateur."

Yu gestures to Minjoon to shut the door and make sure no one enters. Minjoon sends a quick text to the building's security chief as well to not let in anybody to see the chairman until he says so.

"That person was just a random unemployed person looking to make some quick cash. I got him to spill everything for just 50 bucks. Didn't even break a sweat."

Yunho and Woobin's expressions remain blank but Woobin vocalizes what they're thinking. "Why would some gossip outlet hire a person like that?"

"That's what I thought. But like I said, he's no photographer. Not even freelance. He was hired by someone who paid him 500,000 won to stalk you."

"Me?" Yunho points at himself. Yu to his credit seems equally confused. "He's a bum. They even said he'd be reimbursed for any expenses while following you. He has no means to follow celebrities. He doesn't even know Youngwoong or Park Minyoung... or any of the other actors. All he said is this 'skinny dude' gave him the cash and a camera, pointed him in your direction, and said find whatever he could on you. He has no idea who you are except that your name is Jung Yunho."

Yunho cocked an eyebrow at this information, shooting Minjoon a glance for answers. "I'm assuming he doesn't know the person who hired him either..." Yu nods in confirmation. "Secretary Kang, do you still have that private investigator contact?" Yunho asks Minjoon who is already texting someone.

"I've already put him on it. He'll make sure this doesn't go public."

"One of my men has taken this hired stalker to his apartment. I'll give you his number." Yu passes his phone open to his colleague's contact to Minjoon.

"Yu, can you alert your police contact too. I'd prefer to not involve the police unless necessary but keep them in the loop. But don't let my wife know." Which is difficult, Yunho knows. His staff probably Increased the security around Jaejoong as soon as Yu figured out they have a stalker. Jaejoong will notice soon enough and he'd have to tell her the truth.

"Could it be someone from our past?" Woobin suggests none too discreetly.

 "Do you remember any 'skinny dude' from our missions?" Woobin shakes his head, "you're right. Any person who could hold a grudge against us looked like John Cena." After some thought, Woobin asks Yu, "Did you get the camera?"

"Yes. It wasn't easy. Apparently the person who paid him said he could keep the camera and sell it if he wanted. I took the memory card though." Yu takes said card out of his jacket pocket and passes it to Woobin.

"Let me see that." Yunho takes the card to check its contents on his laptop. There are only about ten pictures and Yunho figures it's was only the stalker's first day. He would've noticed that amateur sooner than any seasoned paparazzi in the first minute.

The pictures are grainy and out of focus because the guy who took them doesn't have a hang of the camera. But it seems to be focussed on Yunho when he arrived at the salon after Jaejoong and Changmin and when they were leaving. Yunho thought Jaejoong is the target and was shielding her with his body but that only gave this man a clearer view of his real target that is Yunho.

The first two pictures of the series were of Yunho walking back to their gated neighbourhood after his morning run in the nearby running track course.

"Didn't you notice him then?" Woobin comments over his shoulder. Yu is quite curious too knowing his employer is still a very sharp soldier. Only Minjoon is busy on his phone to observe anything.

"It happens a lot. I tend to ignore it. A bunch of high school girls keep taking pictures of me on my jog. I think one of their friends has a crush on me."

"Too bad you're already someone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter