-26-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I recently got addicted to ready family drama situations on Reddit and got inspired. Stuck at home and got too carried away writing. I'm going to divide the looooong chapter into multiple parts. And it's too much drama that it could be a soap opera LOL.

Hope y'all like it. Stay safe and well everyone.

Seonmi has been hiding across the street from the cafe where she's supposed to meet her friends for about 20 minutes. It's her thing to arrive 10 minutes early before any meet-up and wait nearby where she can see her friends go to the place they've decided. That way she's fashionably late and her friends compliment whatever stylish attire or accessory she has on.

But today her little stake out has gone longer than usual. She hasn't seen a single familiar face walk into the cafe. She's already retouched her makeup and wiped the mascara she dropped on her car's dashboard. The souvenirs she bought from her month-long honeymoon which she returned from a couple days ago are in the backseat with the new boots she will change into before entering the cafe. But she's been waiting out here too long and her friends aren't here yet.

In the cafe Seonmi is staking out, her friends watch her car from the one way glass.

"Wow... she's still doing that..." A guy who is meeting Seonmi after a long time is disappointed she still has her old habit.

"Everyone knows about it. But it's easier to pretend we don't see her,” The others affirm what Hana says.

"It was a good idea to meet an hour earlier than she said. She can be quite bossy for someone who's late on purpose,” This woman in particular is still bitter about the snide comments Seonmi made about arriving late one time but knows it was because she felt her thunder was stolen because her friend entered after her.

Somin pauses sketching something on a paper to pick up her phone. "Should we call her?" She exchanges a playful look with her friends before calling Seonmi.

Placing the phone on the table with the call on speaker, Somin speaks as if she doesn't see Seonmi answer her phone inside her car. "Yah! Where are you?" Somin stares at the red Civic as she scolds on the phone.

Seonmi takes a heartbeat to respond after carefully phrasing her words. "Is everyone already there?"

"Of course! Almost half an hour ago. What's taking you so long?"

".... traffic..." The others barely contain their laughter at her blatant lie.

She's been parked across the cafe for 30 minutes on an empty street. Unless the groups of pedestrians count as traffic she's only a minute away.

"Alright... we'll wait,” Somin plays naive in singsong.

"Yeah... I'll be there in 10,” Seonmi says before she hangs up. Immediately everyone's gaze fixates on Seonmi's car again.

 "Is she trying to kick the window?" He is appalled seeing Seonmi's leg across the passenger seat and leaning on the window. "Looks like she's trying to wear a boot,” The girl closest to the window says.

"Ah!" Somin realizes what Seonmi is doing and it makes her chuckle. "She told me she got these really fashionable boots before going to her honeymoon but they're a size small and she can’t drive with them. So she changes into them before meeting someone."

"Now we know what she's going to show off,” The embittered woman scoffs.

"She's coming! She's coming!"

They watch Seonmi stagger the first few steps in her uncomfortable boots before finding her rhythm and strutting to the cafe. The group of eight people straighten up in their seats and chat among each other casually as if they weren't just spying on Seonmi.

True to form, Seonmi struts with an exaggerated aura, letting her boots click on the floor with every step. "Hi guys! Sorry I'm late. You know how traffic can get,” Seonmi puts her purse on the table but when she wants to keep the bag of souvenirs, she notices everyone has ordered without her and their cups and plates occupy the table. So Seonmi awkwardly sits on the vacant chair with her bag of souvenirs on her lap. "I got souvenirs. Take whatever you like,” She passes trinkets down the table, satisfied the murmurs of who gets to keep what. Well it's not much satisfaction as say getting complimented for her gorgeous but painful boots but she'll take this.

Until it's ruined by the youngest member of the group. "That reminds me, Soo-ah unnie!" The girl calls attention to the woman seated beside Somin. "Didn't you cover the New York Fashion Week recently? Remember I told you to get me one of those I heart NY tshirts next time you went."

"I'm sorry. I totally forgot,” Soo-ah apologises to her. "I was supposed to have one day to go around but I had to take an early flight back. So I couldn't get souvenirs."

 Seonmi's face twitches when her presents are conveniently forgotten for souvenirs that were never even brought. She almost directed her anger at the one who brought it up but switched to Soo-ah instead.

"Yah Miss Famous Photographer! You came back early but didn't come for my wedding or to see me before my honeymoon!"

"I'm an exclusive photographer for Vogue honey. When they call, I drop everything and go,” Soo-ah declared with flair that Seonmi could only twist in indignation.

"Did Vogue call you for some major photoshoot?" When one of the guys ask that Seonmi's frustration increases towards Soo-ah. "Yep! A celebrity shoot."

Everyone's interest is piqued and Seonmi doesn't like it. In desperation she tries to change the topic. "You know guys the weirdest thing happened at the airpo-"

"Who is this celebrity?" Seonmi is ignored by the curiosity in Soo-ah's recent work which is appalling to her.

"Is it an idol?"

"When is it going to be released?"

"Can we see it?"

"Guys..." Somin interrupts them, "Give her the chance to answer."

Grateful for the reprieve Soo-ah finally explains her assignment. "The spread was in works for weeks. I was assigned long ago. But there were circumstances because of which we couldn't do the shoot initially. But... the actress," Soo-ah let's that word linger for a moment, "became available a month ago and they called me back."

Seonmi, the only one unimpressed, scoffs dramatically, "expecting people to bend over backwards for her convenience. How pretentious!"

"Actually we had an arrangement without a specific date because of… her health… you can say,” Soo-ah's tone might be sweet, but her aura is no-bull-tolerated scary. "The theme was specific but sensitive."

"Whoa!" One girl gasps, "When can we see them?"

"She is on the cover of next month's issue. So you won't see the photographs I took until then,” Soo-ah sends them all a link on their group chat to see. "You can see a little teaser of the photoshoot in the video interview. We did that and the photoshoot in two days and they're releasing it as a series of two-minute videos every week till her issue drops. See the video. It's incredibly cute!"

Everyone opens the video link on their respective phones, including Seonmi who does it grudgingly. It starts in a generic way with music and tiny snippets of the series for an introduction but it's the person interviewed that makes Seonmi go pale.

"Hey it's Park Minyoung!" One of her friends gasp and points at Seonmi, "You know she's Seonmi unnie's cousin?"

"Really?" Soo-ah looks at Seonmi for confirmation. "I never knew that!"

"That's true! That's true!" Hana responds instead, overly enthusiastic remembering that interaction. "We met her at the wedding shower and the wedding! She's so pretty~"

"Hana is still starstruck..." they but Hana doesn't care because she has that blissful memory.

"What a coincidence! I didn't know that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter