-27-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seonmi observes the neighbourhood her father is driving into. It looks upscale and private, a welcome distraction after how she's feeling lately.

She hasn't spoken to her friends in almost a month. But she stalks them on their social profiles. They are quite active on Soo-ah's page where she's promoting her recent photospread of Park Minyoung. They're also talking about Minyoung's interview series where she got candid about lot of things - to how she made Ji Changwook wait a year before they officially got together, to her crazy proposal story - But Seonmi has to keep her opinion to herself.

She couldn't even speak of all the not-so-nice things that came to mind when she saw her mother reading the magazine with Minyoung on the cover. The whole country is obsessed with Minyoung's interview especially after she explained what made her propose to Ji Changwook in public.

So the quietness of this sparsely populated neighbourhood is something she needed. It's nice enough that she imagines herself living here.

With the rent of her music school she couldn't afford a home here. But her husband earns pretty well and he could make it possible for them to move into this neighbourhood with a little help from their parents.

"This looks like a nice neighbourhood." Seonmi smiles victoriously when Hyunsoo mutters that beside her. Looks like it won't take much convincing to get him to buy a home here.

"Abeonim, whose house are we going to?" Hyunsoo asks his father-in-law. But his mother-in-law answers instead, "it's someone we've known for years." They're still being cryptic and the newlyweds are slightly disconcerted by that. This morning Seonmi's parents told them they had all been invited to lunch at her dad's acquaintance's without giving them enough notice to prepare.

"We're here..." Seonmi's father announces as he pulls over in front of a gated property. They step out of the car and follow him to the gate that hides most of the house’s view from the outside. Seonmi looks around but can't find a name anywhere. When her father presses that button on the intercom she only sees a house number on it.

The intercom buzzes to life with a voice. "Just a moment. I'll be right there." Seonmi and Hyunsoo discreetly fix their appearance for whoever they've come to visit in this posh neighbourhood. But when the door opens, their smile falters.

"Ajubeonim, Hyeongnim! So glad you could make it!" Yoojin opens the gate to welcome them. While her parents are warm Seonmi is frozen in her spot.

 "Ajhumma, nice to meet you." She hears Hyunsoo's overly cheery voice and snaps out of her daze. Stiffly she bows politely in greeting but doesn't say anything.

If Yoojin notices her odd behaviour she pretends to not notice and welcomes them in. As they all enter through the single gate, Seonmi's father catches Seonmi's arm and whispers "Behave..." to her sternly before following the others.

Seonmi's mouth twists as she considers the option of leaving before she steps into the house. She knows why her parents would deliberately not tell her they're going to Minyoung's mother's house but it doesn't mean she has to go through with it now that she knows.

Well this neighbourhood isn't so attractive anymore!

Just as she twitches to turn around and walk away, Yoojin peeks out from the gate again, "Seonmi-yah, aren't you coming in?" Well when her parents have gone out of their way to ambush her Seonmi should at least satisfy her curiosity. So she puts on a deceptively cordial smile and follows her aunt.

The entryway is a short flight of stairs from the gate to the main residence. As Seonmi walks up the stairs she can hear like an army of dogs barking and babies crying. Her parents and husband are waiting at the top of the stairs confused by the cacophony.

 "Sorry about the noise." Yoojin speaks over the crying, "They insisted on a grand birthday celebration. So it's a bit crowded." She excuses herself past them and heads to the living room.

Seonmi has to rise on her toes to peek over her husband's shoulder to see what's going on. She can see a part of the living room beyond the hallway where two dogs are barking at something under the low cabinet.

Yoojin goes and picks up one noisy dog and calls someone. "Wookie, get these two upstairs." They watch Changwook appear and carry both dogs away so Yoojin can get out whatever is under the cabinet. Turns out it's a little brown puppy. "Jaejoongie, let him just play with the puppy."

"Don't worry. I've taken him to the vet and he's good." Another woman chirps from behind.

The crying ceases a second later followed by a baby crawling up to Yoojin's feet where she's holding the puppy still. With a loud squeal the baby throws himself happily over the puppy. "Okay let's get you both somewhere you can play." The man Seonmi's family recognizes as Minyoung's wedding planner picks up the baby and the puppy and goes somewhere with them.

Once they're gone Yoojin signals for them to come in. "Ajubeonim, It's safe to enter now. Come in."

They all shuffle in while taking in the surroundings. The house that sounded crowded seconds ago was suddenly empty. Besides Yoojin, three people were moving about the open kitchen in the other side of the living room. "I hope you're not too startled. Hyeongnim, I know you're allergic to some animals."

"Just cats!" Seonmi's mother quickly informs Yoojin before she feels too guilty. "I'm okay with dogs... I'm assuming it's just the dogs here today."

Yoojin nods, "The bigger ones are ours. Minyoung's mother-in-law got a puppy for Changminnie."

"My neighbour's dog had puppies recently. So I got one of them." Jihye effortlessly joins the conversation with her warm smile. "I don't know if you remember me from the wedding. I'm Changwook's mother."

"Of course we remember you. Nice to meet you again." Seonmi's mother takes the lead in greeting Jihye followed by the others.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter