-24-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minyoung looks at her reflection in the mirror for a long moment. She swings her arms a little, feels the embroidery on the skirt, and twirls a little. Sideways, her gaze settles on the slight swell of her stomach.

It never grew that much when she was pregnant and the c-section recovery has been going well. The hanbok also covers that small post-baby bump. But to her who knows it's there, it feels more noticeable than it really is.

"Tiny, I only have a white pin unless you want a pink headband-" Jaejoong pauses at the closest when she catches Minyoung pressing her hanbok's fabric against her stomach. "You're doing that again..." Jaejoong warns her and Minyoung immediately drops her hands. "You're going to crease the fabric if you keep doing that..."

Jaejoong doesn't bother lecturing her again. She already read out the riot act, albeit gently when she was helping Minyoung get dressed.

Minyoung hadn't shown any signs of self-consciousness before today and from what she's heard it has to do with the bridal shower she attended last week. Despite near panic about being away from Chaerin for a couple of hours, Minyoung went to Park Seonmi's bridal shower on her aunt's insistence.

Apparently the extended family that has been giving a pass to Seonmi's obvious attempts to alienate Minyoung has become suddenly proactive in integrating Minyoung back into the family. Yoojin says it has nothing to do with her fame and more about the daughter and granddaughter of Minyoung's late father.

Changwook thinks the whole family for not caring about Minyoung and her mother in the first place and behaving as if she's the aloof celebrity. But he also says that he'll tolerate her father's family because he doesn't have any extended family to know how to socially function in such settings.

So he was with Chaerin in the restaurant as the bridal shower, sitting in a private booth away from the party but still in sight of Minyoung. They still caught attention though, as much as they tried to avoid it.

Changwook displayed a new skill of smoothly and charmingly halting any attempt by the unknown women to carry Chaerin or take a picture. They just don't want her face exposed yet after they recently put out a statement revealing her name. So he very suavely turned them down and sent them away with minimal interaction.

Meanwhile Seonmi's friends were all over Minyoung and taking pictures with her. As minutes passed Minyoung could tell Seonmi wasn't happy about her presence. While she understands her reaction to her thunder getting stolen, it's beyond her control short of leaving.

But taking pictures with guests who are her fans was also too much for Minyoung soon after giving birth. After less than two hours there she apologized to her aunt and asked Changwook to take her and Chaerin home.

She would later confess to Jaejoong that she's overwhelmed because it was her first time getting photographed since giving birth. Up until now Changwook, taking his cue from Jaejoong, has been taking a lot of pictures of Chaerin and a handful with Minyoung. But she's feeling a self-consciousness with virtual strangers that she didn't even feel when their friends all came over.

Jaejoong told her that it'll be fine and they'll find a way to cope with it. But Park Seonmi's wedding hasn't given them much opportunity to do that.

Although Jaejoong has a suggestion she's not sure Minyoung would accept.

"You know you should do that Vogue thing soon." Minyoung pretends she didn't hear it taking the headband from Jaejoong. "Come on..." Jaejoong snatches the headband back and helps her wear it over her low ponytail. "The theme is Park Minyoung entering motherhood. You're still in that stage. What are you waiting for Chaerin to start talking and do the interview herself!"

"I'd like to wait..." Minyoung doesn't say for what, unsure herself.

"You are overthinking everything!" Jaejoong tugs Minyoung to the mirror, "You're looking for someone before Chaerin existed. But the you now is real. What you are going through is something I went through too. Lot of mothers do. If you do this you would show that giving birth is not as sparkly as they want us to believe but still amazing. Plus I think you need this. You're outgoing... unlike me. You have this thing where you enjoy the spotlight but not in this attention seeking narcissistic way. Just return to the spotlight already! It's kind of lonely without you in it."

Minyoung giggles when Jaejoong whines at that last bit. Jaejoong has been working hard for both of them during their movie promotions while working on her new album. She's about to release a new music video soon and everyone knows it's going to be a huge topic because it features a cameo from a certain Jung Changmin.

 "I'll think about it after I get back." Minyoung walks over to her wall of shoes. "I'm almost done. Can you get Chae? I want to take some pictures in the backyard."

Jaejoong smirks teasingly but she's also slightly proud. "You finally taking pictures huh..."

"well I am looking divine~" Minyoung playfully raises her hands like she's a saint summoning her legion of followers, "I just need my perfect baby to take the perfect picture."

Jaejoong laughs out but agrees nonetheless. She skips over to the nursery in the next room to get Chaerin and finds Changwook there too.

He's dressed in a black button-up shirt and navy suit without a tie or bow. He's even skipped any hair product, letting his hair fall over his brows in a boyish look.

Changwook is cradling Chaerin while sitting on the chaise beside the crib. The bottle of milk Minyoung had pumped a couple of hours ago is half consumed and sitting on the little table next to them. Well that's odd... The plan was to get Chaerin fed and let Jaejoong tuck her to bed so Minyoung and Changwook could attend the wedding ceremony and back in under two hours. Hopefully no one will notice their absence at the reception.

"Annyeong Chaerin's Appa. Your wife wants to take pictures."

Changwook hums in response not really responding to Jaejoong. "Hey... can you look at her? She feels...warm..." She's also quiet, Jaejoong notes.

Jaejoong has heard Chaerin cry exactly once. Usually she only makes dove-like coos, hums, or maybe a squeak when she wants a diaper change. But Chaerin looks unusually meek right now. Jaejoong feels her face a little and it does feel like she's running a fever.

"She doesn't have the strength to have her milk either..." Changwook's statement reminds Jaejoong of a certain food monster who's also had a sudden loss of appetite the past few days.

"Omo~" Jaejoong panics knowing exactly what has happened to Chaerin and now Changwook is panicking too. "What? What?"

"You remember we took Minnie to Dr. Cho the day before and he said he has an ear infection?"

"But we've kept both of them away till he recovers."

"But Dr. Cho said he's been sick for a week. They were hanging out that time." Changwook examines his daughter for a few seconds before looking up at Jaejoong again. "But it doesn't look like her ear hurts."

"She's barely holding her head up. Maybe it's still early. But she does have a fever."

"Who has a fever?" Minyoung scampers into the room and immediately reaches for Chaerin. The baby squirms when she feels Minyoung's cool hand but her warm skin makes Minyoung gasp.

"She may have caught the same bug from Changmin. But we'll know once the doctor checks." Jaejoong's words are cue for Minyoung to lose it. "Okay I'm going to go change and we'll go see Dr. Cho. Actually never mind. Let's just go." Minyoung reaches for Chaerin but Jaejoong tugs her hands away from the baby.

"Nonono! You have to go or that crazy woman is going to drive a wedge between you and your father's family." Jaejoong makes Changwook get up and stand beside Minyoung with Chaerin. "Chaerin is going to be fine. You guys go to the wedding and I'll take her to see Dr. Cho. Come on... let's take a few pictures quickly."

"But..." Before she knew it, Minyoung's eyes well up. Her baby is sick for the first time and she's scared to leave her alone.

"It's fine." Changwook's solemn voice interrupt her panic. "I'll go with Bunny."

"But-"

"It's okay. That's your father's family. You should be there. I'll take Bunny to the doctor." He shifts Chaerin to pull Minyoung in a one arm hug. "Let's take a picture quickly since we're all dressed up."

Minyoung wants to protest but this arrangement is as assuring as it can get. So she reluctantly nods.

Jaejoong quickly gets her camera she left on the shelf for this. "Let's do it here. I'll take a better picture in the garden some other time."

Changwook and Minyoung manage to smile through about five pictures till Changwook transfers Chaerin to Minyoung.

"I want to take with my camera too." He gets his new camera from the desk and has Minyoung pose by the window.

Chaerin has become a little more active in her mother's arms. Meek squeals escape her lips prompting Minyoung to rock her lightly. Meanwhile the two photographers haven't noticed as they figure out the settings of the new camera.

"Just go click, click, click. We'll see which is good later." After Jaejoong instructs him they get ready to take the pictures. "Okay Minyoung one and two, let's do this." Changwook points the camera at them while Jaejoong gets ready to take photographs with Changwook's phone.

Minyoung being the seasoned model she is, changes a few positions slightly trying to get Chaerin's face in the picture while the photographers clicked away without missing a beat. At one point Minyoung is almost facing her back to the cameras so she can perch Chaerin's face on her shoulder and let them take a picture. It was perfect for about two pictures when Chaerin's face crumples in successive pictures. And then it happens.

 "Gaaah~!" Minyoung yelps when she feels that icky dampness on her shoulder and back through the hanbok just as Chaerin breaks out into an uncharacteristically shrill cry. It seems that Chaerin has finally reached her limit and throwing up that little milk she had was the announcement.

Changwook and Jaejoong momentarily forget to respond to the baby in distress and a panicky mother. They're a little flustered seeing they've captured every second from Chaerin opening her eyes while on Minyoung's shoulder to her throwing up on her and then crying in a series of pictures that now seem like a comic strip.

"Guys!" Minyoung squeaks in desperate need for help. They decide they'll go through those photos later and put their cameras away to help. Changwook takes Chaerin and Jaejoong pulls Minyoung to the ensuite bathroom to help her clean up.

~~~

By the time Minyoung arrives at the venue, the ceremony is over and the guests are moving to the reception hall. She fortunately finds her mother quickly.

"Umma!" She calls a tad too loud attracting the attention of some of the guests. But she didn't care as she went straight for her mother. "Minyoungie, where were you?" Yoojin is close to panic herself. When Minyoung didn't show up and didn't answer her phone Yoojin was worried something might have happened. "Are you by yourself? Where's Wookie?"

"He's not here. He had to take Chaerin to the doctor." Yoojin gasps as Minyoung explains what happened. By the time she's done Yoojin is nodding in understanding. "I'm sure Chaerin will be fine. It's common. If you want, I'll stay over today. We can take turns taking care of Chaerinnie."

"That's okay. Changwook already called his mother. The nanny is sick herself. So we couldn't call her."

"That's okay. I'll still drop by. I want to see my grandbaby. Did Wookie already take her to the doctor?"

Minyoung checks her phone for that. There's no message from Changwook yet. So she texts him and Jaejoong instead. Jaejoong texts back first with a picture.

JJ:

Bunny caught the bug too but she's going to be fine. We're heading back in a bit.

The picture she sends with it is of Chaerin on the examination table while Changwook, who is still in the same suit without the jacket, held her in place.

Minyoung and Yoojin are somewhat relieved now. "That's good. Now let's go inside." Yoojin pulls her daughter to the hall quickly. "One bridesmaid asked if you're not coming and then everyone got kind of whispering. And then Seonmi looked mad."

Minyoung is beginning to think she should be. Why is the family making Seonmi's wedding about Minyoung? The family had been mostly distant from her since her father was gone with the exception of Seonmi's parents keeping in touch. Now they're not at all used to the novelty of having a celebrity in their family and they keep wanting to have her in the fold.

It was bad enough that Minyoung had invited some of her extended family out of obligation to their wedding only to be very awkward around each other in front of her new husband. Sure Seonmi is responsible for some of that. But these people need to get over Minyoung being a celebrity.

"Umma I'm not staying long. I'm just going to say Hi to Samchon and Imo, give them the gift and I'll go home. I'm too stressed about Chaerin."

Yoojin looks downcast but she understands. "Ne... I understand it's hard being her first time ill and all. Okay you go see her. Do it before the bride and groom's entrance so people don't make a fuss. I'll wait at my table." Minyoung was about to go but Yoojin tugs her back and leans to whisper. "I don't want to be that person but... don't be seen by Seonmi. You're looking very beautiful and your dress is obviously expensive."

She's of course talking about the evening dress Jaejoong stuffed her into. It's the same pink one she wore when she hosted an award show. The hidden corset inside made it a very flattering fit and it matched her hairstyle and headband which wasn't ruined by a sick baby. Minyoung agrees she's overdressed and she's only now realizing what Jaejoong just pulled. She'll just have to be careful handling the attention.

She waits till her mother goes to her table so s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter