-18-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The car had parked about 10 minutes ago but Jaejoong didn't make a single move to step out. Joohyun observes her from the front seat, giving her time to process this. But when the young man who has been Youngwoong's own lackey for four days arrives looking for the idol, he knows they can't hide in the car for too long.

"Jaejoong..." At Joohyun's voice, Jaejoong looks up a little startled before smiling nervously. "We must be getting late..."

"We will be late in about 10 minutes... but I don't think they'll mind. Not like they can do anything without you."

"It's weird right..." Jaejoong rubs her sweaty palms against the fabric of her blazer. "I've been coming here, doing this for a week... but I'm nervous only today."

Joohyun nods sagely, "I suppose you got into the guest editor role very easily. You curated the girl-next-door fashion spread exactly to your style. You produced Park Shinhye's and ACE's photoshoots. And you did your first Vogue photoshoot as a photographer and not an idol." He lets out an exaggerated exhale. "Now comes the hard part... explaining the personal photographs of your home and family. Talking about your pregnancy that no one knew about. And you will also talk about your friends’ circle that you're so famous for. These are all sides of you your fans have never seen. That's quite difficult."

"You're making me nervous..."

"you get nervous easily. I don't have to put in much effort." Joohyun looks in the front where Jaejoong's Vogue assigned assistant spots them. "You know showing this nervous side won't be too bad either. It's still you. And very endearing that someone who has been performing to thousands for more than a decade still gets nervous." He steps out of the car and opens the door on Jaejoong's side. "You'll be great and everyone will love you as always." He extends his hand with all the gentlemanly flourish of Jung Yunho and she takes it with an endearing smile.

"You know exactly what I want to hear."

"It comes with experience."

They meet the Vogue employee and follow him to the editorial room where they've set up everything for Jaejoong's video interview, including enlarged copies of Jaejoong's photographs on easels. While someone fixes the microphone to her jacket, the editor Noh Dayoung who has been working with Jaejoong these past few days arrives with this excited aura.

"Good morning Jaejoong-ssi! Are you all set?"

 "I think... I'm kind of nervous..." Jaejoong laughs stiffly as she greets the editor.

"That's not a bad thing. I'd say it's cute." Dayoung gestures at her photographs. "You can walk around or we can sit at the table. Whatever makes you comfortable. The editing will make it more cohesive and concise. I'll ask a few questions to keep the conversation going. But in the final edit it'll be just you. We'll also film a quick ending and opening later."

"Okay... where do we start?"

Dayoung gestures to the closest photograph, "we can start with this one. Where is this from?" Jaejoong looks at the coloured photograph of a beautiful avenue of trees on a spring day. It's empty of people but the falling flower petals in the wind almost feels animated. Jaejoong could recall the heady scent of the flowers in the air just by looking at it.

"This... is my first photograph from a professional camera... actually one from my first series."

"You used to photograph on your phone?"

"And with a little digital camera my parents had. This camera is more special. If you remember some years ago I had to get surgery on my knee... my husband, my boyfriend then, took time off work and took me to this place to recuperate in peace... it was a private property, faraway from disturbances, just a few people to look after me. And the place had this..." Jaejoong gestures at the picture, "like a forest... it was in full bloom... I'd take walks there with him. So... he gave me a camera as an early birthday present. And I knew right away I wanted to take a picture of that path. It took me three hours to get a hang of the camera and I might have taken a hundred pictures only of this spot. My husband is in some of them too but it's out of focus. Anyway, it's the best one of the lot."

"It sounds like your husband cares about you a lot."

Jaejoong beams at the very thought and readily agrees. "More than anyone has ever. He won't even cut our baby any slack. Like... look at that one!" Jaejoong goes across the room to point at a sepia toned picture.

Yunho's tall frame is slightly hunched over and the profile of his face is barely visible. His arms are hanging low, holding on to their son by his short chubby arms. With the way his feet are swinging it might seem like Changmin is enjoying being swung around but Jaejoong knows the real story.

"My husband put him on timeout because he bit me."

"Timeout? Isn't he only a few months old?" Jaejoong waves it off, "Timeout means he won't get to watch TV at one lunch. And he eats lunch like thrice."

"Is he a big eater?" Jaejoong lets out a throaty groan, "So big. I felt like his vending machine for a month. There were times I fell asleep with him latched to me. His Appa says there's a blackhole in his stomach and all his uncles and aunts call him a food monster."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter