-28-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaejoong and Changwook decided to head to the backyard to help with the barbecue. "Didn't think she'd care to show up..." whispers Jaejoong. "I bet they didn't tell her till they were here." Changwook whispers back.

When they are in the patio Woobin calls for Jaejoong. "Hurry! I barely got the fire going." Jaejoong runs over to the grill and gets to the cooking of the meat they bought with them.

"Hyung, you got it going now?" Changwook strolls over to Woobin with a teasing grin, "How does a seasoned soldier be so bad at starting a fire?"

"There's a difference between a professional grill and a lighting a fire in a forest. If you want, I can demonstrate by lighting one under your ." Woobin punctuates with a knee kick to Changwook's thigh. It was a half-hearted hit so it didn't really hurt. But the smack up his head did. "You're one to talk. You tried to make a boiled egg by holding the egg directly over the stove!" Jihye snaps at her son, ignoring his whining that she's spilling his embarrassing past. "Make yourself useful and take some pictures."

"I don't know about that. The last time there was a barbecue and a camera I went viral." But a glare from Jihye has Changwook obediently picking up his bag from among the chaises to get his camera.

"Can somebody get me some plates! These are close to burning!" As the universe is prone to listening to Jaejoong's commands, Yunho and Hyunsoo arrive carrying plates and side dishes. Well Yunho is doing most of the heavy lifting while Hyunsoo carries a stack of four plates with a punch bowl of kimchi on top and he's breathless.

Though he has a healthy-looking build Hyunsoo has the stamina of a potato. Yunho took most of the plates from him when he barely made it past the dining table with painful grunts.

Yunho signals Woobin with his eyes and he relieves Hyunsoo of the plates to give them to Jaejoong and Jihye. Woobin and Changwook go to help Yunho next when Yunho discreetly warns them. "This guy's a pathological creep. He was getting into Somin's space with his wife right there." Woobin's mouth curls in irritation as Changwook mutters, "how did that sicko get someone to marry him?"

As if on cue, Seonmi and Somin arrive carrying a pot each. "So your friend sells paintings or something?"

"Not that kind of artist. She does illustrations for manwhas." Somin's mouth is open in awe as Seonmi describes the other Somin's work. But it soon dissipates when she notices Seonmi struggle to walk as soon as they step on the grass.

"I'll take that." Yunho takes the pot of rice from Seonmi and put it on the table of food. Somin places the pot of potatoes Jaejoong brought from home beside it while observing Jaejoong expertly grill the second batch of food.

"Hey! You got the grill working better than I thought." Somin's enthusiasm returns after it was dampened when they couldn't get the old barbecue at Yoojin's house to work earlier. "Yeah good job with that!" Yunho gives Woobin a commending fistbump. "I was quite worried when the lighter was broken." Yunho is however unacknowledged when Woobin is busy shooting Changwook a smug look.

"That's one more in the list of things we have to fix here before summer." Changwook gives up when he can't fix his camera settings and he doesn't want to bother Jaejoong for help. "What's in the summer?" Yunho asks on behalf of all the curious souls waiting for the food.

"We're in a very slow process of getting my mom to move in here. We've been trying to convince them to live together since I went to the army. Ya' know since we don't have any other relatives." Seonmi flinches while reaching for a can of beer. Was Changwook stating the honest truth? The reality? Or a subtle jibe at her who has distanced her family from Minyoung?

"That's a good idea. Your schedules can make it difficult for them to reach you. At least they can help each other this way." As he speaks Woobin casually picks up the can of beer that Seonmi's hand is hovering over and presses it against her hand. Seonmi quickly grasps it and quietly opens it. Whether the others noticed her reaction to Changwook's words or not, this Woobin person probably did even if he didn't make a big deal of it while handing others a beer each.

"You know, add me as an emergency contact for your mothers," Yunho declares. "I'm more reachable than you celebrities. At the very least I can send someone to help."

Seonmi is beginning to realize that being left out by her only remaining family has made Minyoung and her husband closer to people who care. And why not? She'd probably pick Youngwoong over her family too.

While the others are talking about helping Jihye move in with Yoojin, Jihye walks past them with plates of aromatic grilled pork. "Eomma, don't we get any?" Changwook reaches for a plate but Jihye holds it away.

"This is for us old folks. Someone at least help Joongie if you're hungry." Jihye’s reminder causes Somin to run over to help Jaejoong with a little squeak. "You kids don't get too drunk." Jihye pointedly looks at her son who looks elsewhere. "And leave enough food for Youngie and Miran-ssi. And young lady," Jihye startles Seonmi when she turns to her. A pause ensues during which Jihye's eyes flit to the back of the lawn where Hyunsoo is conversing with Jaejoong and Somin. "Nevermind..." Jihye huffs before plastering a smile and walking to the patio where Yoojin is chatting with Seonmi's parents.

When she leaves Seonmi hesitantly turns her gaze to where her husband has abandoned his sense of boundaries and is making an idol and a young woman very uncomfortable. She can see Hyunsoo hold up a piece of meat to Somin's mouth but she awkwardly refuses and holds her beer to to show it's too busy to take up his offer. Hyunsoo says something and laughs before shoving the meat into his mouth.

Knowing him, Seonmi can predict he's said one of the usual "Just kidding," or some other stupid joke to laugh it off. He developed a habit to claim either to her or to the other woman he's trying to flirt with that he's only "kidding" ever since Seonmi pointed out to him that it's not okay to get into a woman's space. He thinks brushing it off as a joke absolves him of wrongdoing or a potential lawsuit.

When Hyunsoo purposefully reaches over Jaejoong's hand to flip the pork chop sizzling on the grill in the farthest end from where he's standing, Yunho snaps. "I'm going to kill him!"

Seonmi watches with wide panicked eyes when Yunho and Woobin stalk towards Hyunsoo like two tigers about to take down a slobby lump of a prey.

"Don't worry. They're not going to kill him... maybe just leave him half-dead..." Changwook mutters as Yunho has physically shoved himself between Jaejoong and Hyunsoo. Jaejoong, who’s prone to getting terrified in these situations, plasters herself to Yunho's side before patting his belly, a wordless way of saying "I'm okay. Don't shove burning coal down his pants."

"Just what is your husband's problem?" Seonmi's head whips in Changwook's direction. When she's sure that he really did say that, her lips curl into a scowl. "Excuse me! Where do you go being this rude!"

"Oh please!" Changwook scoffs in disbelief when this woman even thinks she can talk about rude when she's going around making up lies about Minyoung. "You hate my wife and anyone she's associated with including me. Therefore I don't have to pretend to be polite to you."

"I'm starting to think your shy guy style is just an act."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter