Extra-5

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaejoong has been watching him from behind the wall for 10 minutes now. The fact that Yunho still hasn't realized she's there's is telling of how much is on his mind.

Yunho has been inside the closet for almost 20 minutes now but he hasn't moved. It's worrying even her baby that's kicking up a storm inside her.

When Yunho finally moves Jaejoong exhales not realizing she had been holding her breath. She watches him slowly pick out the uniform hanging on his side of the closet. When he starts folding it, Jaejoong thinks she's seen enough.

She leaves their bedroom and heads downstairs where her blueberry waffles are waiting for her. When she sits down, she notices the coffee across the table has gone cold. So, she beckons the house staff closest to her. "Miyeon-ssi, can you get Yunho a fresh cup of coffee when he comes down?" The woman obliges taking the cup away.

 Jaejoong takes a bite of her waffles and frowns. Clearly her mood is killing her taste buds because she can't taste anything. She dumps her fork and shoves her plate away with a huff, hating the situation.

She wants to help Yunho the way he helped her find herself. But she's having a serious case of pregnancy brain. Case in point, one of the house staff hastily walks up to her with her phone in his hands. "Ma'am you left your phone in the rice cooker." Jaejoong quickly takes it from him, "Pretend that didn't happen." Their employee is kind enough to obey and hold in his amusement till he's out of sight.

Jaejoong inspects her phone and it looks fine. They probably retrieved it before anyone filled up the rice cooker. Turning it on, Jaejoong finds a few calls and messages that have gone unanswered. They're all from her in-laws and their texts tell her why they were trying to call her.

Jaejoong quickly waddles to the stairs, calling for Yunho even before she's reached it. "Yunho! Yun! Come quickly!"

The soldier is down in seconds, his face panic stricken. "What? Are you hurt? Is it the baby?" She needs to provide more context when she alarms everyone. Because now half a dozen staff are crowding her in panic. "Nononono!" Jaejoong shoos them away. "It's not me. It's your parents."

"My parents?" The guy working security on the estate asks and Jaejoong realizes she's pointing at the wrong person. "Sorry... I meant your parents!" Jaejoong shifts and points at Yunho.

"My parents? What did they do now?" Before Jaejoong could answer the security personnel present there interrupts when someone speaks into their earpiece. The man from earlier turns to Yunho, "Sir, your parents are at the front gate."

"Don't open it!" Yunho yells desperately making Jaejoong smack his arm.

"Sir, it's too late."

Two cars pull up in the driveway in front of the house and the staff quickly open the doors to let the two very important people step out of the vehicles.


Jung Woosung has his own entourage while Han Seungyeon is by herself for a change. As soon as they enter, they spot their targets by the stairs.

"Jaejoongie~!" Seungyeon squeals unnaturally that the Jung men cringe. Not that she cares pulling Jaejoong into a hug. "How's my baby? Is he kicking yet?" Seungyeon has an uncomfortable grip on Jaejoong's belly making her wince. Yunho had to rudely pull his mother's hands away from Jaejoong and step in between them. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Rude as always..." Seungyeon huffs. "This is the house my son grew up in and is now living with his pregnant wife. Don't tell me we can't visit." Woosung points at the living room like the boss he is. But Yunho being his son, defiantly walks to the dining room.

Jaejoong shrugs and follows him leaving her in-laws no choice but to dance to Yunho's tune. Jaejoong sits in front of her waffles again, feigning appetite for them so they don't fuss over her. A coffee is placed in front of Yunho while Woosung and Seungyeon ask for a coffee each.

Yunho eyes Woosung's staff standing at the far end of the room and scoffs. "Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

"You, my dear son, are a piece of work." Woosung laughs at his own joke making Yunho's scowl grow. But it doesn't take much effort for him to get to the point. "So I heard as of yesterday you are honourably discharged."

Jaejoong's blood goes cold when that inevitable topic is brought up. Yunho to his credit looks unfazed. "I'm not working for you."

 "I'm not asking you to."

Now that's surprising. Did Woosung give up? Yunho glances at his mother but she's too busy admiring her nails to give away anything.

"Listen Yunho, we're not here to force you to do anything you don't want to do. I think you've proven enough that we can't do it." Woosung looks at Jaejoong, smiling kindly as always. "You have a family now. But your career has ended."

"Are you trying to rub it in?"

"Just listen till the end for once." Seungyeon snaps.

"Like I said we're not going to make you do anything you don't like. I'm here to make you an offer." At Woosung's uncharacteristically non-business tone Yunho's posture changes, indicating he's listening. "Now, like you said a long time ago. We have a board to run the business. But we have to have a Jung on the board. It's about maintaining the trust of the shareholders and protecting the jobs of thousands."

"Look Yunho, we aren't getting any younger. We need you to let us retire." Seungyeon implores, something she's never done. "What else are you planning to do anyway? Get a regular job like other former soldiers?"

"Yunho, no one would give a job to the heir of a multinational conglomerate except the army. Now the army doesn't want you and I know you're not the type to stand for elections."

"Ooh Jaejoong should do that. President Youngwoong Jaejoong's mother-in-law has a nice ring to it." Seungyeon is promptly ignored for her tangential comment.

Woosung clears his throat to bring his seriousness back. "Here's what we're offering. A spot on the board for you and Jaejoong with shares, along with a percentage of mine and your mother's shares. The rest will transfer to Yunho once we're no more. Also both of you will have an additional slice of shares which will go to your future children once they come of age. All in all, you, Yunho will have the ownership stake."

"And what's the job?"

Woosung feels a ghost of a smile at Yunho's question. Maybe he has him interested. "Nothing for Jaejoong of course unless she wants to. You, on the other hand, have to act as president and chairman. All you have to do is make your presence felt and steer the board, and the company, in the right direction. You have all the decision-making power. You can do whatever you want."

"And if I refuse?"

"Your mother and I stay on till we can't anymore. Whether you like it or not you will one day own what we have. If you decide to throw it away, we won't be alive to stop you."

That kind of morbid talk makes Jaejoong twitch in discomfort. But the silence that follows is far worse. It's one of those infamous Jung staring battles that makes the air crackle with tension. Before she can't breathe, Jaejoong declares loudly. "I need to talk to Yunho." And she shuffles out of the room with her waffles.

Yunho spares his parents a glance, excusing himself to follow Jaejoong with a glass of water. When he finds her in their room, she has stuffed a whole waffle in . "Every time you meet my parents you end up binging on food." Yunho breaks the waffle hanging out of so she can swallow.

"I feel like I need something in my mouth so I don't have to talk." Jaejoong takes the water offered by Yunho and gulps half of it. Yunho thinks she's frightened by his parents’ proposal and quickly jumps to deny it. "You don't have to worry. I’ll turn them down."

"Take it!" Jaejoong tells with all the vigour of someone betting everything they have on one horse. "Take the job... or shares... whatever it is."

"What? Jae, you don't have to worry. I have some very big investments and my grandparents’ trust fund. We can live comfortably-"

"that's not what I mean." Jaejoong is practically trembling. Yunho moves his hand from her shoulders to her hands on his lap, a wordless gesture to calm down. Jaejoong takes a few deep breaths before she speaks. "Yunho you cannot not do anything. What will you follow me on my schedule or stay at home with our baby? I know you would never be satisfied without purpose."

"A corporate pup

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter