3--

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They finished filming for today and she's out of her makeup and in comfortable clothes. Minyoung is walking to her car where her manager is waiting, attention in her phone.

"Watch out!" Minyoung is pulled backwards by her hand making her drop her phone. When she grasps her surroundings she realized she was moments away from falling down the stairs in her distracted state.

When she turns to her saviour it's her young co-star Lee Taewhan. "Taewhan-ssi, thank you so much. You really saved me."

"You were really distracted there Sunbaenim." He picks up her phone and hands it to her. "Is it working?" Minyoung finds her phone unharmed and functioning much to her relief. "It's good. It's survived worse." Minyoung smiles sheepishly at him, "I've been trying to contact a friend. She's been radio silent for two days now."

"Oh... is she okay?"

"I hope so. I'm heading to her house to check on her now. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Ne, good night." They bid each other good night and Minyoung makes her way to her car this time waiting till she's seated to turn on her phone.

Her texts to Jaejoong are still unread and her calls are going to voicemail. Minyoung knows Jaejoong is busy with her comeback but she usually responds on their group chat with the others. Minyoung happened to be filming at a place closer to Jaejoong's apartment she shares with her new husband. So she volunteered to go check on her.

While her manager drives she keeps texting Jaejoong. Mid text she gets a call. Her heart goes wild in all sorts of ways seeing Ji Changwook on the screen.

They haven't done more than the occasional text since they last saw each other at Jaejoong's wedding. It took her a long time to not cry at the mere thought of missing him after that. But a text from him telling her of some random interesting event and giving her a sweet good night message would almost break her.

For a while she contemplated running to him and begging him to believe her when she says yes. But then she'd think that maybe this time apart is what Changwook needs to know she's given a future for them careful consideration and she'd stop herself from breaking down. Even as she'd see news on social media of the celebrities visiting him in the army, his musical, and him hanging out with his mother and friends during breaks, she'd plaster a smile and say 'good for him' to herself till she's numb.

When he hangs up Minyoung realises she was lost in thought and made him wait too long. Desperate to hear his voice she quickly calls him back.

The watery smile when he answers on the first ring is instant. Her manager notices it but doesn't say anything.

"Yeobeseyo? Minyoung-ah?" His voice is deep as always but she had forgotten how he sounded. "Hi..." she breathes out raspily before realising she can't let her mind wander again. "Sorry... I was... I had to look for phone." She kicks her manager's seat when he scoffs audibly.

"I know you're lying but I just don't know about what." Minyoung pouts unintentionally. So he can still tell when she's lying about something stupid but not when she's wholeheartedly agreeing to marry him. "Are you done filming?"

"Yeah. On my way to Jaejoong's. You're not on your base? How are you calling me?"

"Yeah, I'm in my apartment near the base. I have a couple of days off because of that accident with the other guys in the musical."

"Oh yeah... I heard about that. Are you okay?"

"Yeah I wasn't in that bus. And nothing serious.... anyway, you're checking on Jaejoong right... there's uh..."

"Is something wrong?"

"I'm hoping not... but... some of the guys are talking about this... and this can only be between you and me, and maybe Jaejoong if she doesn't know already. But...a special forces team was doing a joint military operation some place...I don't know where..." Min hears him sigh in frustration. "They're missing Min! The convoy was found...not a single soldier or civilian staff is accounted for... Min, I'm afraid it's Daejang."

"Wha- what? How? Are they dead?"

"I don't know much. Daejang is in a different division. But Everyone's been talking about it... I heard they suspect the local militia want to use the diplomats as hostages to demand a ransom from foreign governments. There are multiple rescue teams from the countries involved working on finding them."

"Good... good... I'm sure Daejang is fine...he has to be...for Jaejoong."

"I'm sure Jaejoong knows. That's why she's been unresponsive. Can you take care of her?"

"Of course. I'll make sure she's okay."

"But remember, you can't let anyone know. They'll be slapping us with NDAs otherwise."

"Yeah... got it ... Wook-ah... are you free... like in the near future?"

"Well... currently this break is unexpected. But I can take a leave. Why?"

"I just thought...we could meet... I've not been able to meet your mother too. She calls me every week."

"You know we can't be seen together. People would get suspicious."

Now that's infuriating. His extra caution was appreciative at the start of their relationship when she was too scared to date another celebrity publicly. Later she had stopped caring, falling into a routine to keep rumours from spreading. But ever since his unofficial proposal he's been a bit extra and it's starting to get on her nerves.

Especially with all the rumours going on between her and Park Seojoon and the lack of reaction from Changwook is making her furious. Here she can't even deny that she can't be dating Park Seojoon because she's half-engaged to Ji Changwook and she's offended on behalf of Changwook and said half-fiance has no idea how she feels.

"You know what Sergeant Ji Changwook, you can go yourself." And she hangs up. Just like that.

She doesn't even want to wait to hear what he has to say. It will be placating as usual, he'll make her understand, she'll give in and they'll be back in this absurd dynamic again.

He's calling her back but she refuses to answer it. She doesn't want to hear it. Doesn't want to understand. Not when he won't understand how she feels. If he still thinks she's the same Park Minyoung from four... no, five years ago then maybe there's no future for them.

Perhaps when she sees him the next time she'll have an answer and a ring to give him back. Maybe he was right to allow her to think about this. Because clearly he's not noticed she's changed because of him.

Minyoung reaches into her bag and pulls out the little unicorn pouch for earphones. Except this pouch has been home to one massive diamond ring for months.

A few days after Changwook enlisted Minyoung had visited his mother and found out she had selected the ring. His mother didn't have any jewellery she could pass on to her son's wife. But she had been very excited to help him pick a ring.

Oblivious to what Changwook had been thinking, his mother had been anticipating news about their engagement for days. She was understandably furious at her son when Minyoung told her about their non-engagement. It was only when Minyoung pleaded to her to let them get through this did she reluctantly agree to feign ignorance in front of Changwook. The confidence that Minyoung will say yes helps. But now Minyoung thinks she'll have to break her heart too.

Emptying the pouch on to her palm, Minyoung does the one thing she's hesitated to do for a while - put the ring on her left hand ring finger. It fits perfectly. Somewhat of a miracle given how tight it is on the wrong finger. She never even got to ask him how he knew her size.

He had said she could keep it no matter what her answer. But she doesn't think she can. If he won't take it back she'll give it to his mother.

He's calling her again but she can't bring herself to listen to him. Before her resolve crumbles, she rejects his call and turns off her phone. Her own actions make her eyes well up. It looks like she made her decision.

The car pulled over in front of a townhouse a few minutes later. Minyoung wipes her tears and gathers her things. As she steps out of the car she notes the lights are on. Her manager gets the bags of takeout food he pre-emptively bought and hands it to her.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stick around? I can just h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter