-1-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Let's Eat Dinner Together filming is going well. The country's top multi-hyphenate idol-actress, Kim Jaejoong is sure to bring in excellent ratings once the episode airs. But said idol is having no luck finding a family to eat dinner with yet and the deadline is coming soon.

"I wonder how Heechul is doing with Hodong." Jaejoong makes small talk with Lee Kyungkyu so the cameras have something other than boring silence to film. "Probably bickering." Kyungkyu drawls. "Heechul-ssi loves provoking Hodong."

"I bet they've got two episodes worth of film just from them."

"Hey, people would just tune in to see Kim Jaejoong." Kyungkyu gestures at the lane they're walking in, "This place is famous for all the celebrities that live here. Do you know anyone here?"

"Not exactly. But I did used to live here many years ago."

"Really! Where?"

 "The lane behind this has many apartment complexes where I used to live. It was the first house I ever bought. But I was mostly on tour and then I moved to another place. So I don't know many people here."

"By another place you mean something guarded by a soldier?" Jaejoong only laughs it off but the tell-tale dusty pink cheeks give her away. "By the way, I've heard there's a very tight group of friends in the industry and at the centre of it is you."

Jaejoong laughs again. "I wouldn't call it friends. They're all mother hens and I'm their little baby chicken they think they have to protect."

"So you don't need protecting?"

"Not from them. I already have a soldier on my case." Kyungkyu makes a teasing face at her indirect comment.

They reach a house that looks inviting. Unlike the few they passed, they notice the lights are on indicating there are people inside. Jaejoong takes the initiative to ring the doorbell. The intercom comes to life with crackling sounds till a woman's voice is heard. "Please move near the camera so we can see your face." At that gently conveyed request Jaejoong and Kyungkyu look into the front door and waved. "Madam, we're Kim Jaejoong and Lee Kyungkyu from Let's Eat Together!" Kyungkyu puts on his cheery entertainer persona through the camera while Jaejoong only waves.

"Ommo~ Jaejoongie~!" The woman's voice in the intercom takes on an eager tone that indicates she's more than recognised Jaejoong. "Wait, I'll get the door."

While they wait Kyungkyu and Jaejoong exchange curious looks. "She sounds like she knows you more than just a fan." Jaejoong shrugs, "I don't know anyone who lives here." Jaejoong proves herself wrong three seconds later when the door opens and a smiling old lady peeks through the opening. "Ajhumma!" Jaejoong recognizes her instantly and hugs her.

"I see you know her." Kyungkyu says to the camera more than Jaejoong. "Ne… She's my best friend's mother. Song Yoojin"

"Ommo Lee Kyungkyu-nim! I'm a big fan." The old woman and Kyungkyu exchange greetings. Kyungkyu begins the groundwork according to the show's format by introducing the concept. "Song Yoojin-ssi we're from Let's Eat Together. If you're okay with it and haven't had dinner yet, can we share a meal with you?"

"Yes, I'd love to. I haven't started on dinner yet."

"We can help." Jaejoong adds quickly. With their invitation formally accepted they all head inside.

While the crew sets up the filming equipment, Kyungkyu, Yoojin and the PD are in a section of the living room going over some things to make sure Yoojin is comfortable with the filming. Jaejoong is getting her makeup retouched and calling someone. Kyungkyu assumes it's her soldier boyfriend. He hoped she would help but with time constraints, he tries to make the other woman comfortable himself.

"So you have a daughter?" Yoojin nods. "Is she a celebrity? How does she know Jaejoong-ssi?"

"Ah... my daughter and my son-in-law are both actors. They're both close to Jaejoong."

"Really?" Kyungkyu exchanges a nervous glance with the PD, "And she's married?"

"Not officially... they've been together for so long I think of him as a son-in-law. They're on a holiday now before my son-in-law enlists in a few weeks." The two men are starting to notice Song Yoojin's clueless innocence about the celebrity industry. It might not be a big deal if they're a known couple. But this is a delicate situation where they can't proceed without the consent of the people involved, not just Song Yoojin.

Just as the PD is about to ask Yoojin if they are things they don't want to be shown on TV, he spots a picture behind Yoojin. "Is that...?" Kyungkyu looks at what the PD is pointing at and his jaw drops.

It's a framed photograph of two people, obviously a couple. They are in thick jackets, beanies and sunglasses in some kind of snowy area with the guy taking the selfie. Even with their faces barely visible it's not hard to guess those beautiful features that have been on TV for years.

"Oh! That's my daughter and her boyfriend on vacati

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter