Chapter Fourteen;

Scars

"Tell me about yourself."

He looked up at her munching on the hamburger she ordered early, when she stared back. 

"I live with my dad." He replied to her question.

"I know, that. You told me, isn't that why you begged me to live in my house?" She raised her eyebrows at the obvious answer.

"Yeah. My mom died." 

The silence was filled in the air, before she put down her hamburger and watched him poke his spagetti with a fork.

"I'm sorry to hear that." She responded, not knowing what to say.

"It's okay, I mean she died two years ago, so I'm a little over it. Not my dad though." He said, taking a bite of the meatball.

"I don't want to be mean, butㅡ" Woohyun looked up at her, as she finished her sentence, "How did your mom pass away?" 

"Apparently, it was cancer. Thought that huge bump on her chest was just common for women at her age, but I guess not." He shrugged it off, "We went to the hospital, because something was coming out of that bump. We then found out she had cancer, stage four. It was no use, giving her medicines, or what not. She had little time to live." 

"I'm really sorryㅡ"

"It's fine, really. It was a shock to us, but we got over it. Well, I did. We were a little depressed about a year or so, but we got better after. But then my dad started to go through some weird stage. I wouldn't blame him though." He cut her off, "He lost his wife of 25 years, and his only son did so many stupid things, he can't bare to handle it alone." 

"You know about your dad, you should understand. Why are you running away from him? You know he's only being strict just to take care of you." She said.

"Yeah, I know everything. But that doesn't give him a right to abuse me like what he is doing, right now. He throws my mom's precious china vases at me time to time, I already have five stitches." He replied.

"Have you tried counseling, or anything like that?" She asked, when he just shrugged again.

"Didn't work that well, either. But I don't mind. I'm old enough to stop what he's doing, or leave just like I did right now. He doesn't even look for me, so I don't really care. We don't care at all, but we're okay with it." He poked his spagetti with his fork some more.

"But still you shouldㅡ"

"I kind of don't want to talk about it anymore. Let's talk about your life." He interrupted, before taking a bite of his spagetti, "Tell me about yourself."

She sighed, not knowing where to start, before she closed her eyes.

"My parents don't live in Korea. They live in California. There's nothing wrong with us, we do talk on the phone time to time, but after some incident, we lost contact, and I don't want to talk to them." She replied, touching her french fry.

"What incident?" Woohyun slowly asked.

"My boyfriend died." 

Woohyun stopped eating when he looked up at her, who just played with the fries.

"Someone murdered him. Bloodied, bruised, scared." She went on, until she choked. 

"I'm so sorry to hear that." Woohyun said, when she held up a hand.

"It's fine, I'm over it. It's been a while since he's gone, anyways." 

"That's a small worldㅡ" Woohyun said, looking down, "A friend of mine died too. But his was a car accident. Stupid drunk driver killed him right at that stop. I could never forget. I was there at the scene, I witnessed everything." Woohyun closed his eyes, before smacking the table with his fist.

"It seems like we have so much in common, for what we know." She said, wiping the small tears on the corner of her eyes.

"Yeah, we do." He said, trying to make out a smile, "I'm glad I got to know you more." 

She looked up to see him, while he took a bite of his spagetti.

"You really think so?" She questioned, when he looked at her, with a mouthful of spagetti.

His cute smile was spread to his face, as he nodded.

"I know, so." 

`