CHAPTER 25: A cruel drug

The Contract
Please log in to read the full chapter

JEONGYEON'S POV

“Did you hate it?” I asked her as I felt my knuckles trembling from nervousness. “Did you hate all the things we’ve done until now?” I looked at her face looking for answers  and….she looked so pained.

I thought it was something consensual? Am I wrong? Did the beating of her heart and the warmth of her lips just my illusion to justify what I did?

“Nayeon-ah… answer me.” I looked at her but still silence is all she answers. She did hate it.  I feel my heart tearing apart slowly as seconds passed by without her answer. I looked down as I tried to suppress this emotion inside of me.

Then suddenly I heard her words came out of , “I… didn’t.”

It was the answer I wanted to hear but I felt like a leap of hope rays on me but as I look up to see her face again…

 

I saw tears.

That moment I hated myself. I hated myself for making her cry. I hated myself for hurting the person I want to take care of and the person I want to be happy.

 

If she’s only hurting with me, I better end this.

NAYEON’S POV

“I… didn’t” I answered.

As I answered that, I also realized that I love her… I hopelessly love her.

I’ve been denying the fact that I’m in love with her because I know it’ll be hopeless.

 

But I love her.

 

Even if she’s in love with someone else.

 

Even if I’m just that someone’s replacement.

 

That moment tears fell down from my eyes down to my cheeks. Jeongyeon looked at me, startled and pained.

“Nabong, I’m sorry for making you cry… I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” She said as she pulled me into a hug. I felt my heart breaking., “I’ve made you cry..”

I look up to her. To this person I love.

 

To this person of my unrequited love.

 

But never would’ve thought that the next words she’ll say is, “..Now the contract is over.”

CHAEYOUNG’S POV

After Nayeon and Jeongyeon came back to the dorm. They didn’t speak to each other. All of the members exchanged meaningful glances. The atmosphere was awkward and gloomy. I mean the group’s bright energy- Nayeon is depressed.

Just by looking at them, you can see that it was a huge fight. Nothing like the ones before. This is serious.

So when everyone slept, I drag Jeongyeon to the veranda to talk about it. We sat  on the couch as we drink coffee.

“Hyung, what happened?” I asked her but she didn’t answer.

A little more words came out from , “is it obvious?”

“Of course, Nayeon and you. You fought.” I said as she looked away and started being on daze again.

 “Did you two have a lover’s quarrel?” I asked her, trying all by best patience to make this conversation work when she’s not herself.

“Lovers huh?” she let out a sarcastic laughter, “We ain’t even lovers. It was all a contract.”

“Hyung, if you end up being so broken hearted,  you should just confess already.” I told her with a good intention but Jeongyeon glared at me.

“You don’t know the feeling I have chae. I loved her for six years, I was robbed by the right to confess because of my gender then robbed by minhyuk when nayeon fell in love with him. I was robbed right before me.” I felt startled when Jeongyeon started covering her face. She’s crying.

“Damn, who am I kidding? Robbed? She wasn’t even mine.” Tears kept falling to the grey floor. “ and she’ll never be.”

She continued as she pointed her one finger to herself,  “I was the one who robbed her of happiness. I robbed her of the chance to find someone to love. All because of that contract.” She sniffed as she talk with wavering voice. I’m not seeing her face but I can sense how much it hurts.

“If we pretend to be lovers… I thought she’ll be happy with me that maybe she can love me too. But in the end I was only forcing her and hurting her unknowingly. I assume, I hope that my love is somewhat mutual, but Hope is nothing but a cruel drug. It’ll make you feel that maybe there’s a slightest chance but there wasn’t. Hoping is my most destructive talent that comes with loving Im nayeon.” As she said her name, I can also hear million painful feelings she has been suppressing. I can sense the longing in her voice, and the desire for her love to be returned.

My ever so dependent hyung is crying because of love and I couldn’t even say anything. She loves Nayeon-unnie so much that she ended up hating herself for hurting her.

She sat there, her head down and tears flowing unstoppably, “I just love her…I love her so much.”

MINA’S POV

I woke up in the middle of the night only to see chaeyoung and Jeongyeon on the veranda sitting on the couch. Chaeyoung is sitting there while Jeongyeon  is sleeping.

“Chae? What are you two doing?” I whispered as step in of the veranda and sat beside her.  The wind is warm and it felt fine staying here.

“Nothing,” she answered, “…Jeongyeon was crying.”

I looked at jeongyeon, she’s peacefully crying but I can see her eyes swollen. I felt sad by seeing our jeongyeon cry.

“Really? What happened?”

“It seems that Nayeon and her fought. And remember when we thought they’re finally dating?” she asked as she looked down to the sleeping jeongyeon.

“yeah, aren’t they?”

She let out a deep sigh and looked at me again, “they aren’t. The love

Please log in to read the full chapter