You are my everything

Loving a fish

Narrator

Donghae went to see his dad everyday for a week after that visit. He felt something wasn't right. *Why does he have to stay in the hospital that long just because of a flu? He must be hiding something from me.*

One day, he was visiting the hospital with you when your phone rang.

"Yobosaeyo?" You answered.

"you? Where are you?" It was Eunhyuk,

"In front of the hospital. Why?"

"WHY ARE YOU AT THE HOSPITAL? ARE YOU OKAY?" He screamed into the phone. You moved your phone far away from your ear.

"Dang, Eunhyuk. I'm okay, just visiting Donghae's dad. Jeez, I said in front. What's the matter?"

"Oh okay. I saw Jonghyun just a few moments ago and he was KISSING A GUY!" He shouted the last part. Donghae could hear him.

"So? Your point is?" You sighed, meaning you didn't care.

"HE'S GAY THEN!"

"Why are you making such a big deal about this?"

"Well, it's just weird.... I thought he was a player since a lot of girls talked to him. But it's not because of that. It's because he's gay." Eunhyuk explained.

"Don't tell me you're not gonna be friends with him anymore because he's gay?"

"I honestly don't know."

"Dude, just because he's gay, doesn't mean you should treat him any different. He's still Jonghyun, whether he's straight, gay, or bi. uality doesn't matter when it comes to friends." You stated.

"Araso. I guess that's true. I'll try talking to him tomorrow. Bye."

"Annyeong." You hung up and sighed again.

"So I guess you guys know now." Donghae murmured.

"You knew already?" You questioned him.

"Yeah. That day where he asked me to have a chat with him, he told me he was gay so I wouldn't worry about him taking you from me." He slyly grinned.

"Aww, you were worried about that? You know I wouldn't leave you. It's been a month already." you smiled at him.

"Now that I think about it, it's almost prom."

"Omona, it's in a month..." you mumbled. "Did you buy your tuxedo yet?"

"Nope..." He thought for a moment.

"You should soon. I got my dress last week." 

"I will. I wanna see what your dress looks like." Donghae whispered huskily.

"You'll see when it's prom. Now let's go in." you said avoiding his eyes. Just the way he said it sounded wrong.

---------------------

Donghae's point of view

"Wait, I want to get a drink. I'll be right back." you said before going to the vending machines.

I was about to open the door when I heard voices. 

"Mr. Lee, I'm afraid your condition has gotten worse. To the point where we can't cure it."

"Ohh." I heard Dad sigh.

*What? What's the matter with him?* I decided to eavesdrop.

"How much longer?" 

"At the most, a month." I swore my heart broke into a million pieces when I heard that. 

"Well, I know I can go up to Heaven in peace. I have no worries."

"You're such a good man. I'm releasing you for a week. Go have fun with your family araso?"

"Neh, Kamsamhammida." The door was about to open so I sprinted back a few feet to pretend I was walking to his room. The door opened up and I greeted the doctor with a fake smile. He patted me on the shoulder, giving me a sympathetic look. I went in and just gave my dad a sad look as he smiled at me.

"Donghae! You're here again." He beamed despite looking unhealthy. I knew it wasn't the flu now.

"Dad..... why?" I was on the verge of having tears run down my cheeks. They didn't call me the king of tears for nothing.

"Why what son?" 

"Why did you lie to me? You thought I wouldn't find out. I can't believe this!" By this time I'm bawling. "Does Minji even know this?" That was his wife's name. I was so gonna tell Donghwa, my brother, and my mom about this. Donghwa would fly here from Japan as soon as I finish telling him.

"I'm sorry, Donghae-yah. I just couldn't bring myself into telling you. I knew this would be your reaction if I told you. And she does know, in fact I haven't seen her after I told her."

"But it would have been better if you told me yourself and I didn't have to eavesdrop!" and now I'm sobbing to the point where I can't even speak. I just go up and hug him.

"Dad, don't leave me." I said between sobs.

"I'm so sorry Donghae-yah." When we finish hugging, you finally comes in. Seeing me crying, she mouths she'll go home first. My dad didn't see her. I was glad she understood me. 

"Dad, tell me what's wrong with you." I claimed after I stopped crying.

"I have cancer." He murmured. 

"Is it okay if I tell Mom and Donghwa?" I asked, even though I was going to tell them anyway.

He exhaled loudly before saying it was okay. "Well, I can go home now." 

"Let me take you home then. I have my car." I stated after Dad got his clothes and changed. 

"Alright then. But isn't your girlfriend with you today?" He inquired as we were walking to my car.

"She went home." I nonchalantly replied, unlocking the car and heading in. I took a glance at him before I started the car.

"Donghae, here's a letter for you. Open it when my time is over." He handed it to me, right before we left.

"Alright Dad." I put it my pocket and turned the radio on. My dad loved to sing. He would hum to tunes all the time. It was an American song called My Everything by 98 degrees.

And surprisingly, Dad could hum to it.

"You know this song?" I wondered how he knew it.

"I heard this song before when I was in the waiting room at the hospital. It seems like a meaningful song."

"It is." I started to sing some of it and taught it to my dad. We had a good time singing and chatting in the car. 

You are my everything

Nothing your love won't bring

My life is yours alone

The only love I've ever known

Man... I was going to miss him so much. = (

--------------

Your point of view

It was the first time I saw Donghae cry.... I guess I should just leave him alone for a while. Something must have been up with his dad.

I was walking home since the hospital was only 10 minutes away when I spotted Hankyung and Jessica together.

"Oh my gosh..." I whispered in English. They were holding hands!

I couldn't believe it. Hankyung and Jessica? Hankyung knew how Jessica was so why were they holding hands? He must have been really desperate or something. As for Jessica, she usally went for the hot kingkas, so why is she going for a quiet one? 

I decided that I wouldn't care. It's their lives. I should just worry about mine. Which brought me back to swimming. It's been forever since I scuba dived. I went to go get my camera and diving suit and biked to the beach.

When I was there, I noticed Jonghyun was sitting in the sand.... and he was with a guy. 

I tried to avoid seeing them all lovey dovey. I didn't have a problem with gay people but I don't think Jonghyun wanted me to know he's gay.

As I was changing into the diving suit, I could hear the T.V. from outside say "We have now picked the surfer who has won the contest and will go to the professional surfer's league. That surfer is number 17! Kim Junsu!"

I gasped surprised. He gets to be a professional now? I was happy for him. I was going to make sure to congratulate him.

He was having his acceptance speech. "Thanks to my family who supported my passion of surfing. To my girlfriend, Ri-In Wo Ai Ni. You've been with me for not even 3 weeks yet but you've been with me through thick and thin. And also, my chingus...." I hoped he wasn't going to name them all. 

"Jaejoong, Changmin, Yoochun, Yunho, Eunhyuk, Donghae, Sungmin, Shindong, Siwon, Hankyung, Heechul, Leeteuk, Kangin, Ryeowook, Yesung, Kyuhyun, Kibum, and last but not least you. You guys know I love you!" 

I smiled. He named them all but he also included me in the list. That made me happy. I went scuba diving and had a good day.

~~~~

a month later

It was the week before prom. Donghae had just told me he finally got the tuxedo. We were finishing up our ACT's when the bell rang.

"Yes! Weekend!" Everyone shouted as they dashed for the door.

"One more week of school!" Some guy roared out of the crowd of mobbing people.

Donghae and I were walking home to the hospital. I found out Donghae's dad had black tumor, otherwise known as cancer. It was devastating to find out. A kind man like him having to have cancer was just too depressing to think about. Especially since his time was almost up. He was released for a week before having to come back to the hospital.

"Oppa, are you okay?" I asked him seeing him with watery eyes. He's been crying a lot more now that he knew what his condition was.

"Yeah.." He wiped his eyes and we headed in. But tears came again to both of us this time when we realized his time was near. He was dying. The doctor couldn't do anything to help, he was crying softly himself.

Donghae rushed to his side and held his hand. "Dad! You can hear me right? Please don't do this to me! Don't die! I still need you! Please stay alive!" I could see a trickle fall down his dad's cheeck. I burst into tears and held his other hand.

"Ahjusshi! Please just hold on!" I exclaimed.

"Mianhae.... I can't be with you guys any longer. Donghae you're my everything. I'll be watching you from up above. I love you. And I always will, remember that." And with that, his eyes rolled to the back of his head and his eyelids shut.

"NOOOO! APPPPPAAA!" Donghae was crying to the point where he was hyperventilating. I helped him out of the room and sat him down, trying to calm him even though I was crying myself. I hope Mr. Lee rests in peace. I remember what he told me when Donghae was in the restroom.

FLASHBACK

"you-ah, take good care of Donghae when I'm gone araso? I know you'll be the one to do so."

"Araso, Ahjusshi. Of course I will."

"I can tell he truly loves you." 

I smiled and said "Not as much as he loves you though."

--------------------------

Donghae's point of view

Dad... I read the letter as soon as I got home today. I can't believe you left like that. You have no idea how long I've been crying. But since I'm the King of tears, they're gonna keep on coming out. I wish you were with me right now. I wish you could see me swim when it's the olympics. 

Dad, that'll be our song. My everything by 98 degrees. You really were my everything. I love you Dad. I miss you so much.

-----------------

October 8 was the last day he saw his dad. But well in the fanfic... it's June 8. :(