Meeting his Dad

Loving a fish

Your point of view

"Uhhhh how do you know that?" Donghae asked, curious. I didn't tell him that my parents hired someone to stalk us...

"Oh, we met Eunhyuk at the grocery store today. We asked him since it seems that you were good friends with him." Appa replied. "You should have told us you met Eunhyuk again. I'm surprised his parents didn't move even though they said they would."

"Well, you guys were busy a few months ago, so I just forgot to mention it to you guys I guess." I murmured.

"It's a good thing I can see his parents now. And I heard you guys met Jonghyun also?" Omma questioned.

"Uhh yeah." I uttered before I eyed the pasta. Omma saw and I helped her with the dishes and set them on the table.

"We began to ate. Donghae complimented Omma's cooking.

"Your pasta is very delicious, Ms. Hwang." Donghae smiled. How come he was able to not get any sauce on his flawless face or teeth? I sighed. I had to keep using my napkin a billion times.

As we ate, the parents started asking questions, pretending they didn't know anything.

"So Donghae-yah, how long have you been living by yourself?" Appa wondered. I gave him a look.

"About a year." He responded. I hoped that they wouldn't ask anything embarrassing. 

"I heard from you, you just visited your dad? Is he alright?" Omma asked.

"He's in the hospital. I'll visit him tomorrow again."

"Ahh I see. That's so nice of you to not cancel though." Omma grinned like a kid.

"Like I told you, I wouldn't miss meeting my girlfriend's parents for the world." He smiled at me and I beamed again.

 The parents asked a few more questions and it was time for dessert. We had vanilla ice cream cake, leftover from Dad's work party. 

"So Donghae, do you intend to marry you?" Appa questioned. I almost spit my cake out.

"Bwoh? Appa, why are you asking that? We've only been together for 3 weeks." I mumbled getting red.

Donghae held my hand. “As a matter of fact, I do.”

I gasped, really surprised. “Oppa, what are you talking about? We’ve only been going out for 3 weeks.” I knew I was blushing by the time I finished saying that.

“I know, but just because we’ve been going out for 3 weeks doesn’t change the fact that I love you. I love you so much; I’d marry you as soon as we graduate from high school.”

“Awwww!!!” My parents cooed. I was as red as the tomato sauce now.  “you’s got such a good boyfriend. We’ll approve definitely. " Omma declared.

“Well, I had a good time. Thanks for having me over.” Donghae claimed.

"Thanks for coming here. Hope to see you again soon." Appa hit him on the back like Dads always did to their daughters' boyfriends.

"Yeah, and tell your Dad we said hi and that he stays healthy." Omma stated.

I took Donghae outside. "Thanks again for coming." 

"I hope my parents weren't too embarrassing." I murmured to him.

"They're very nice. I thought business parents were really mean like the mom in BOF." He caused me to laughed.

“I love you Oppa.” I whispered, hugging him.

“Saranghaeyo.” He said back and we kissed without knowing that my parents were peeping at us. What creepers my parents are, jeez.

------------------------------

Donghae's point of view

The next day, we went to school to find out something pretty surprising. Eunhyuk was dating Hyoyeon!

"Dude, how did this happen? You better tell us everything." I told him. He just blushed.

"She's different from those girls from Girl's Generation. We met each other in dance class." He started giggling all of a sudden. 

"Dude, pull yourself together!" Junsu smacked him on the head.

"Ouch... okay so one day, dance class ended and I forgot my towel. I went inside the dance room to find that Hyoyeon was still dancing. And man... she was fierce. she had charisma... so y." Eunyuk smiled naughtily. 

"Monkey, continue with your story." you said, anticipating.

"Sorry... so I watched her and when she finished, I applauded seeing how talented she was. She asked me if I wanted to dance with her, and we just hit it off. I asked her out last night."

"Aww, how awesome." Ri-In smiled.

"You finally have a girlfriend!" Heechul announced. "Everyone, Lee Eunhyuk has a girlfriend!" Most of the girls screamed, while others were disappointed.

"There's only 11 guys left." I heard a girl say. Oh we forgot to mention, that girl Jaejoong was flirting with before, turned out to be his girlfriend. Her name's Hyojoo. Shindong had a secret girlfriend he never told us about, named Nari.

"We better hurry and get one of them before they all get taken!" Another one exclaimed.

I shook my head. Seriously, our fangirls were too much. I never hated them or anything but they were really annoying. I caught Jessica staring over at our table, and surprisingly, she wasn't looking at me. She was gazing at Hankyung. Very odd.... but at least she finally understood to back off.

"Hey Oppa, you said you were going to see your dad today right? Is it okay if I meet him?" you inquired. 

"Sure. That'll be fine." I told her. We finished eating our lunch and walked to you's locker. I saw Jonghyun with his boyfriend. I didn't have a problem with gay guys, but seeing them being lovey-dovey kind of made me turn around and not look back at them ever. I wondered when you would find out that he was gay. I could still hear them though as I was waiting for you to finish getting her things out of her locker.

"Jonghyun-ah, don't do that. Someone could see." His boyfriend moaned.

"Let them see then." I heard sounds after that made me really uncomfortable. By then, you got her things and we went to photography class quick. I wondered what sounds you would make if I did that to her..... *I shouldn't even be thinking this...* I shook those thoughts away and sat down in my seat.

-----------------------------------

Narrator

After school, you followed Donghae in his car and went to the hospital. You were nice to bring in fruits for him because that left a good impression on his dad.

"Annyeongsaeyo." You said as Donghae introduced you to him.

"Dad, this is my girlfriend, you."

"Ohhh annyeongsaeyo." His dad was sitting up. 

"I brought fruit for you." You told him and gave him some apples, oranges, and bananas.

"Thank you, you're very kind."

You guys stayed and chatted for a little longer before the nurse came in and said that he needed to do another checkup.

"It was nice meeting you, you-ah."

"Nice meeting you too, Ahjusshi." You smiled at him and left the room. Donghae stayed in a little longer. 

"Appa, you're going to fine right? Why are they making you stay in the hospital for another week? Don't you only have the flu?"

"They're just doing procedures and things like that. They're being cautious." He replied.

"You know, even though I don't live with you anymore, I still love you and I always will, you're my dad after all. I'll visit again tomorrow." Donghae hugged his dad and left the room.

The doctor came in, and heard everything.

"You still didn't tell him what's really wrong with you?"

Donghae's dad shook his head. "I don't want to worry him."

"But you don't have much longer. After all, it's the final stage of black tumor." The doctor murmured sadly.

"I know. But it's okay. He'll find out after I'm gone." The doctor sighed. He did the check up and left the room.

Donghae's dad sat back up and started to write a letter to his son.

Donghae-yah, my son Donghae-yah, my beloved son Donghae-yah!

Dad is so blessed because you are my son, and you’ve already become a professional swimmer.

I’m really so fortunate. You’ve often told me on the phone: “Have you been well recently? Are you healthy?”…and also, “I’m sorry. I love you.”

Donghae, when Dad sees you on TV, he can’t help but to put his hand over his heart. It’s probably because Dad loves our Donghae too much.

Donghae, let me tell you, Dad used to dream about becoming a swimmer, but your grandfather was completely opposed, so I left my dream in Seoul and I brought your mom back to Mokpo. Then we had your brother Donghwa, and then we had you. I was so happy! You and Donghwa were both my sons, I was so thankful to God.

When you were in junior high, you told me you wanted to be a professional swimmer. Back then, you were still half-studying, half-playing, but when you told me you wanted to be a swimmer, my heart leaped, my feelings were stirred. I pressed the money into your hand and said, “Go to Seoul.”

After you went to Seoul, your mom and I often prayed. There were a lot of tears, too, just like my son Donghae. My Donghae will surely succeed! If my Donghae was defeated, his heart would surely be hurt, so we prayed and prayed and still prayed… Then you became qualified. Oh we were so happy then: Dad was so proud of you, so, so proud. From then on our Donghae left to live in Seoul, and I was torn between being extremely happy and extremely sad.

Despite this, I still believed in my son Donghae as I did before, because you were so full of bravery and determination. And just like that, a few years later, you really did become a professional swimmer.

The first time you won number one, you still took the time to worry about me. That day, you called me and said, “Dad, I won’t cry anymore. I’ve resolved not to cry anymore: my fans are watching. Have I done well? On this earth, I love Dad the most. And my favorite color is the color of the ocean…”

When I watch our Donghae on TV, I thought of my own dream when I was young. Oh my beloved Donghae!

When my Donghae wins the newcomer award, Dad won’t be able to see it. I won’t be able to see you get married to your you, I won’t be able to see my cute grandchildren…

But as long as it’s what our Donghae believes in, then it will be the best. And I’ll protect all of you from heaven, and become the strength at your back. And my Donghae’s next generation will also be so blessed…

My son Donghae-yah! I love you.

Love you!

------------------------------

so that letter was his father's real last letter to his son. i just switched the word singer with swimmer and added that married to your ___. so sad. i cried reading this.