Hurt Enough To Heal

The Sleepless Phoenix Review & Consulting Shop [CLOSED]
                                                                                  
 

Author: Ashlee224

Story Title: Hurt Enough To Heal

Story Type:Chaptered 

Reviewer:Ex-mermaid    
  
 
Review Completion: 18/06/2016

Title: [10/10]
The title is pretty unique, to me at least. So, I applaud you yet again for that! I think that it really grabs the readers attention. I really liked the ring to it and how it was directly related to the plot of the story but doesn't actually give you anything away about it.

Foreword/Description: [10/10]
Your description is really nice. It really caught my attention and did a really good job at making me curious on what the rest of the story was all about. I liked how you made up certain metaphors that described the situation each of the characters were in. It was concise, yet didn't give away the whole plot. Just like how a proper description/foreword should be.

Plot: [8/10]
Like I said before, I don't normally read books in this genre, so I think that your plot is very original. Your flow was great too. Not too many things were happening at the same time and something new was revealed at every chapter. Though I don't really think that a single family can have that many problems but I guess it was all their crazy problems that really made the story unique. Am I praising you too much?

Characterization: [7/10]
I can't really say that your characters were very realistic, considering that many of the things happening in their lives were quite over-the-top and dramatic. But throughout the development of the plot I got to catch more of a glimpse at why they ended up like that So many holes regarding the characters behaviour were filled after I read this! I think that you described their personalities with a lot of depth. It almost felt like I knew the characters in person.

Grammar/Syntax: [10/10]
I didn't notice any grammatical or punctuation errors. Plus, your sentences were structured vey well. Hence, I'm giving you a perfect score!

Vocabulary: [10/10]
You don't have the most extensive vocabulary. But you were still able to explain your line of thought without seeming to repetitive, which was good.

Setting/Description: [3/10]
Like I said before, I really think that you really should work on becoming more descriptive about the setting and the description of the characters. I found it very hard to visualize. I think you could have made more of an effort to describe what their house looked like, or what kind of vibe you got from looking at it. Rather than just saying- 'their house'.

I think it works the same with the characters. You could have described what kind of clothes they liked to wear or signature facial features, instead of just depending on the fact that the readers are already supposed to know what they looked like. The story would have been even more enjoyable if you did so.

/Conclusion: [5/10]
I'm glad that in the end, it seemed that everything was alright with the family. The thing is, I didn't see much significant development. I mean-- in the end, Taeyeon was still the week girl that knew her mom was bad for her yet still loved her, her dad didn't seem to make much of change, considering all he did was tone down his bad impulses. And while Miyoung still loved her sister more than anything. Not much had changed towards the end.
Enjoyment: [7/10]
Overall, I think that I enjoyed reading the sequel more. Probably because there were less problems and there was only one star, Miyoung? Personally, I think this book would've been better if you just focused on one character instead of featuring every member of the family. It just became very confusing. But nonetheless, I definitely recommend this story to anyone looking to read a good psychological horror book. This book is already really good, I just think that a little tweaking will be enough to make it great!
Total: [70/90]