Chapter Twenty-eight

Falling For Zhang Yixing

Haeri’s POV

I reviewed my answer sheet for the last time to make sure I didn’t leave stupid mistakes here and there before I handed it and left class.

Woaaaah finally done with exams!!!!

I stepped out past the gates of our high school building and looked around. There were a lot of students who already finished and stood there hanging out outside before we leave this place for good.

I searched for Yixing in the crowd but didn’t see him anywhere.

“HAERIIII!” I turned my head to find Sehun waving at me, “COME HERE.”

I went to them, Sehun, Jongin and Eunha. “GUYS HOW DID YOU DO??” I asked and they all seemed relaxed.

“Won’t get an A but won’t fail,” said Jongin and Sehun high-fived him.

“Same, but the math exam ” Sehun complained and Jongin nodded agreeing.

“Wait am I the only one who thinks it was easy?” I pointed at myself feeling a bit uneasy, “because that would probably mean that I screwed it…”

“Nah it was easy they’re just stupid” Eunha snorted waving her hand dismissingly earning few glares from the boys.

“Hello,” Yixing’s voice interrupted from behind as he greeted everyone there. I turned to him and smiled, “did you do well?” he asked me touching my back slightly to bring me closer to him in a gentle way.

“Hmm” I grinned, “and you?” he nodded happily.

“Hope you all did well,” he gave a friendly smile to everyone.

“The math exam was hard right?” Sehun asked him trying to prove his point.

“Uh… not really,” Yixing laughed awkwardly and I and Eunha laughed along.

“Just accept that you’re stupid,” she said rolling her eyes making Sehun scoff in disbelief.

Jina then showed up yelling “GUYS GUYS GUYS OH MY GOD THIS IS OVER EXAMS ARE OVER HIGH SCHOOL IS OVER I CAN’T BELIEVE IT.” Kyungsoo was following her laughing.

“I know right! Time flies so freaking fast!!” just when Eunha said that, Yixing and I immediately turned to look at each other. It was like an immediate involuntary reaction. He smiled sadly at me.

They were still talking about school and university but I didn’t pay attention to anything. All I thought about is how the time left before Yixing leaves is ending soon.

I slipped my hand into his and squeezed it softly, I smiled strongly just like I’ve been doing for the past two weeks. If he’s leaving soon we might as well enjoy our last days together instead of spending them sad and depressed.

 

 

Third POV

{PROM NIGHT}

Haeri was running from one corner to another in her room. She was expecting Yixing in half an hour and she was still not wearing her dress.

“Yes??” Haeri shouted when she heard few knocks on her bedroom door as she was applying the final touches of her makeup.

“Can I come in?” her hand that was painting her lips slowed down when she heard her mother’s voice on the other side of the door.

Haeri turned to the door, “come in” she said in a calmer manner.

When Haeri’s mother entered the room, she looked at her daughter, she was still in her pajamas but her hair and makeup were beautifully done.

“Your hair is nice.” She said with a little smile. “You look like a princess.”

“O-oh thank you, its good I guess because that’s tonight’s theme.” She let out a small laugh.

“Ohh like fairytales with princes and princess? Interesting! Do you need any help?” Haeri was surprised by her mother’s unexpected action but she decided to go with it.

“Actually, I would appreciate if you help me zip my dress up.”

“Yeah sure get dressed” her mom said.

When Haeri was done getting dressed, it was already 6 pm, she was standing in front of her mirror checking herself from head to toe. She felt like a real princess waiting for her prince to come, and Yixing wasn’t even a minute late.

“I’ll get it!” her mother yelled from downstairs when the bell rang and Haeri’s stomach felt sick.

The good kind of sick. She was nervous to go downstairs and meet Yixing with her full length light pink dress and very high heels and her hair pulled up. But she was completely satisfied with the way she looked.

She was very comfortable with her dress that hugged her upper body tightly but flowed beautifully from the bottom. And even though the heels seemed like they would later kill her, they made her feel like royalty and she loved it.

 

Downstairs, Haeri’s mother opened the door to meet one handsome young man wearing a black tux with white shirt and black skinny tie, his hair pushed back and his wrist watch even gave him a manlier look.

He bowed 90 degrees and greeted her as soon as she opened the door.

“Oh what a handsome gentleman!” she complimented noticing his shy smile.

“Thank you! I can see where Haeri got her beauty from as well.” He confidently replied and she grinned when she found he’s so polite and easy going.

After all Haeri is her daughter and she loves her. She might have not showed it properly before but no mother hates her daughter. And seeing she’s got someone like Yixing made her happy.

 

Yixing who was sitting in the living room, stoop up immediately when he heard Haeri’s heels on the stairs. His heartbeats went faster. He hoped he looked good enough.

Haeri finally appeared taking his every breath away. She had a soft beautiful smile on her face and just by looking at her he questioned how such beauty could really exist.

“You… look breathtakingly beautiful. Princess indeed.” He said before he leaned in and planted a soft little kiss on her cheek making her blush violently.

“You look so handsome yourself, prince” she whispered shyly.

Yixing took a fancy black medium-sized box out of his pocket and opened it showing a small shining silver crown.

“Oh my God Yixing…” Haeri covered in surprise as he carefully placed the crown over her head.

He held her face and kissed her forehead, “you’re my princess now.” He offered her his hand and she held onto it with a bright smile on her face.

“Let me take a photo,” Haeri’s mother spoke with a grin on her face and they both blushed when they noticed she was standing aside watching them all the time.

Tears welled in the corner of her eyes after she took the photo. “You’re a beautiful couple, Yixing, take good care of her.” her voice cracked a little.

“Of course I will! Please don’t worry,” he bowed twice.

“Mom… are you okay?” Haeri placed her hand gently over her mother’s shoulder.

“Yes, yes, don’t worry. I just remembered my prom night.” She let out a small sad laugh.

Haeri had seen the pictures before; her dad was her mom’s prom date. They had been in love since their sophomore year.

“Just go kids!! You don’t wanna run late!” her mom said forcing a smile on her face and so they left.

 

 

As soon as the couple entered, they found a photo-booth in the entrance of the hall, the booth was for everyone who entered to take a photo.

“Oh let’s go in,” Yixing pointed to the booth and they went in. “Ready?” he asked before taking the picture and Haeri nodded, they posed for the camera but just one second before the picture was taken, Yixing turned his head and kissed Haeri’s cheek.

“Oh my God!” she squeaked, “that’s cheating!” she jokingly hit his shoulder.

“But I love the picture,” he said looking at it, “you’re gorgeous” he said for the hundredth time already.

Haeri looked at the picture sadly for a moment, but she hid her sadness well. She shook the sadness away and decided to enjoy the night with Yixing.

“Haeri!” called Eunha walking toward Haeri with Sehun and Jongin. “OMG you look gorgeous!”

“BUT YOU LOOK EVEN MORE GORGEOUS!” Haeri shouted back. It was too noisy and the music was loud they had to scream to hear each other.

“GUYS YOU LOOK SO HANDSOME!!!” Haeri yelled to Sehun and Jongin too who really looked like super models. They both smiled and complimented her beauty as well.

“Anyone saw Jina?” Jongin asked.

“HERE!” she screamed joining the group with her boyfriend.

“We were taking a photo,” Kyungsoo beamed holding Jina’s hand.

“GUYS LETS GO DANCE AND ENJOY THIS NIGHT!” Sehun yelled and they all excitedly went for it.

 

“Boy you’re such a good dancer!” Haeri complimented Yixing who was dancing with her with so much energy to all the hyper songs played by the DJ. She was barely catching up.

“Wanna go sit baby?” he asked and she quickly nodded. Her feet started hurting after an hour of dancing. Yixing held her hand and walked away with her to the tables were they sat on the decorated chairs.

“Let’s eat I’m hungry!” she smiled widely just like she always does when she finds delicious food around. The two ate and chatted together while watching the dance floor as well. Jina and Kyungsoo were dancing together and so were Sehun and Eunha. Jongin on the other hand was surrounded with too many girls dying for his attention but he danced with them all not giving special attention to any one in particular.

“I think Sehun and Eunha match well,” Haeri giggled, “he always gave her special attention I think they’d be a good couple.”

“Yeah they look good,” Yixing nodded agreeing. “Jongin… he-“

“He’s not in love with me don’t worry,” Haeri held his hand, “we’re just friends.” She said truthfully and Yixing felt much better. That would make it easier for him after he leaves, not to worry about Jongin being next to her and stealing her away.

“Yes” he replied with a sweet smile.

 

 

The night was ending soon, the lights dimmed into softer ones as all the bright lights disappeared and the loud music died and was quickly replaced with a slow beautiful music.

Yixing stood up in front of Haeri, he offered her his hand with a little bow, “Would you dance with me, princess?” he asked like a prince.

“I’d love to,” Haeri flashed a proud and happy smile as she gracefully slipped her hand into his and joined him for a slow dance.

She placed the other hand on his shoulder when they reached the dance floor. He surrounded her waist with his hand and he pulled her gently bringing her body closer to him so that his chin touched her forehead. Even though she wore heels, he was still taller than her.

“May I say, you are the most beautiful girl in this room” Yixing spoke against her forehead and she closed her eyes to enjoy the feeling. The darkness, the slow music, Yixing’s warmth and gentle moves, and his soothing voice.

The moment was perfect.

Haeri clutched tighter into the fabric of his suit, “and you are the most handsome man in the world” she replied making his heart flutter.

He leaned in closer to her ear giving her butterflies, “I love you, Kang Haeri” he said.

“I love you, Zhang Yixing” she raised her head to his ear level and whispered back.

Through the rest of the dance, they kept silently gazing at each other’s eyes that were filled with emotions. It felt like no one was there except for them. A lot of thoughts were crossing their minds.

Thoughts about how time passed quickly, how they started off disliking each other but how they ended up falling so hard for one another.

Thoughts like how they were meant to separate now and how scary that is. And other thoughts like how they would always stick to each other and even after a year or two or a hundred apart, they will eventually be back together because they were meant for each other.

 

 

It was few minutes past midnight when the two made it back to Yixing’s apartment. Haeri was so tired, after dancing all night with her boyfriend, her feet were killing her and all she wanted was to feel her bare feet and change into something loose and baggy.

Right after they got in, Haeri sat on the couch taking in a deep breath.

“It was such a good night,” she closed her eyes and talked with a smile on her face.

“It was so beautiful because you were with me,” he said throwing his body next to hers. “Haeri-ya” she opened her eyes and looked at him when he called her name softly.

“Hmm?” she didn’t have much energy to talk.

He held her hand and pulled her lightly making her sit straight ignoring her questioning eyes that demanded to know what was he doing. He hugged her, very tight.

Just in one swift move he laid a beautiful shining necklace on her neck. The necklace was in the shape of a heart, and on the back of the heart the letters “HY” were engraved.

“Yixing, this…” she whispered holding the heart the laid on the top of her chest, “… this is so beautiful.”

He embraced her. “As long as you love me, keep it on your neck. Don’t take it off unless you stopped loving me,” he spoke against her hair as he rested his chin on top of her head. “I can only hope that when I come back, this necklace will still be shining around your neck.”

Haeri felt was sore. Not that she’s sick or anything, but because she’s been suppressing too many tears that it hurts now.

She still managed to suppress them again and let out a strong nod. She inhaled his scent, the smell she loved the most in the whole world. She pressed her palm over the necklace, “It will always stay here.” Her voice came out shaky.

 

Haeri watched Yixing as he took off his jacket and loosened his tie before taking it off too. She watched him his shirt and changing into something more comfortable. She kept looking at his every move not with lust but with so much love. Thinking about how she’ll terribly miss him, and only hoping he’d miss her too and come back to her.

“I think I should go,” she said from across the living room where she had a very good view of Yixing in his bedroom. But she lied; she wanted to stay with him knowing that he’d be leaving the next night.

He walked back to the living room. “Stay… stay with me tonight” he said, his eyes pleading. She nodded slowly. She’ll stay.

Yixing brought her one of his s so she could change into something more comfortable. “Help me ?” she asked.

Haeri’s heartbeats went faster when she felt Yixing’s fingers on the top of her back where he held the zipper. Her knees felt weaker and his breath was trapped in his chest as his hand went lower tracing her soft back along.

Till now, and after months of being together, they both still feel huge electric waves all over their bodies whenever they touch each other.

Yixing planted a little love kiss on her bare shoulder before he left the room feeling like his heart is shattering into little pieces.

 

The bright green numbers on the digital clock shined 2:07 AM in front of Haeri’s eyes in Yixing’s dark room. She still hasn’t fallen asleep. Her back was touching Yixing’s chest and her body was engulfed between his strong arms. His warm breath kept hitting the back of her neck and enjoying the feeling seemed much better than sleeping.

“I will miss you like hell… little princess.” Haeri’s eyes widened when she found out he was still awake as well. He, too, thought she was deep asleep. “I don’t know how am I going to be able to spend my days and nights without you… your presence filled my life for the past nine months, ever since I saw you for the first time, you brought me so much happiness. Staying away might kill me… And I know I can’t oblige you to wait for me or to keep loving me till then, but that is one thing I’ll pray for everyday. Haeri I love you so much.” His voice cracked and he pushed his face closer to her neck smelling it so strongly.

He was hiding his weakness for so long but she felt it when she felt his tears on the back of her neck. Tears streamed from her eyes silently as she tried so hard to keep pretending that she was asleep.

 

 

Yixing’s POV

She looked like a sleeping angel. A beautiful princess sleeping peacefully. I didn’t want to wake her up; she was too beautiful to wake her up. I finished packing quietly so I won’t disturb her.

“Morning beautiful,” I spoke over her pretty face when she opened her eyes.

She smiled weakly, “morning baby.” She sat straight on bed and her smile was immediately wiped when she saw my bags packed in the corner of the room.

“I- packed while you were asleep.”

She nodded, “I have to go to the bathroom.” She quickly stood up and went straight there. She tried to hide it well but I didn’t miss the sound of her sobs. I heard them well. My lips trembled; I tried my best to hold my tears. I was supposed to be strong for her, but the pain was right there deep in my heart.

Even when she came out with puffed eyes, I still smiled to her but what I really wanted to do was hold her between my eyes and cry till I feel better.

“What time…” she asked referring to the time of my flight.

“7 pm,” I answered shortly while I took a seat on my bed; she just nodded still standing in front of the bedroom’s door. “Wanna go out today?” I asked her but she shook her head slowly.

“I…” she took slow steps toward me, “I just want to stay here with you” she sat beside me and snuggled into my arms and I held her tight, so tight in hopes I could get enough to help me survive for one year but I knew it’s impossible. I’d always miss her the moment I let her go.

{At the airport}

The woman’s voice called for the last time.

The flight to USA is taking off soon. My eyes were fixed on Haeri’s red eyes. Her eyes that had been crying continuously for the past hour.

“It’s time to go,” she said and I felt her hands grip on mine got stronger. It’s like she’s telling me to go but she’s holding me to stay.

I nodded, my already falling tears didn’t allow me to speak much.

“Yixing-ah it’s time,” Minseok hyung called from the side.

“I… I will come back Haeri,” I pulled her into my chest and felt her nods against my chest.

“I love you” I lifted her chin and wiped her precious tears. I kissed her tender sweet lips. For the last time.

“I love you too,” she said.

 

Haeri’s POV

As he started to walk away, the tips of our fingers slowly disconnected.

Yixing-ah… I don’t know if this is the last time for us, but I hope it’s not.

“Let me take you back home” said Minseok helping me walk back to his car because I was a crying mess and I was in no shape to walk alone.

My heart was breaking. The one and only guy I have ever fallen for had to go on different paths with me. And it’s not that I can’t wait for a year, it’s just the fear of what can this year bring to us.

The moment he disappeared behind the airport walls, I realized even more how hard I have fallen for Yixing.

 

“Don’t worry Haeri,” said Minseok as he was driving me back home, “he’ll be okay, and he’ll be back for you. He really loves you so much.” He smiled sweetly assuring me and I appreciated it.

“I hope so…” I murmured when my breath calmed down a little.

“Trust me,” he smiled again.

“He said he’ll call me as soon as he’s there, maybe then I’ll feel a little bit better.” I breathed deeply and laid my head back watching the street lights on the way back home.

 

But 5 days passed, and I received no call and nothing at all from Yixing.