Chapter Twenty-one

Falling For Zhang Yixing

Haeri’s POV

I heard the teacher talking about the upcoming exams but I didn’t really comprehend his words. My eyes were focused on the tip of my sharpened pencil as I was doodling randomly on my desk.

“Haeri you got 86 on your literature quiz” he said placing it on my table. I looked at it surprised, I never found literature hard and I think it is an interesting subject, but I never made an effort to study for it or even focus when the teacher talks.

“Come to my desk please” he called me after he was done handing the quizzes to everyone and I went wondering what he wants.

“You know Haeri,” he said, “your mark is pretty good considering that you never pay attention to my lectures” I guess he called me trying to make our conversation more private and I appreciated it because discussing my grades publicly is the last thing I wanted to do.

“Ah sorry sonsaengnim” I smiled sheepishly.

“I’m not trying to scold you don’t worry” okay that’s a relief, “I’m trying to imply that you have very good potential Haeri, if only you put a little effort on your studies you can hit an A simply” he said fixing his glasses.

“I will try sonsaengnim” I bowed respectfully.

“I hope this is more than just an empty promise” he said and I only bowed in return and went back to my seat after he allowed me to do so.

I looked through my quiz, my mistakes were stupid ones done out of laziness or lack of attention.

 

 

I was watching Yixing having lunch with Jongdae and Sora from afar, they were chatting and laughing but everything seemed normal. Nothing too intimate.

I can’t deny how jealous it made me to see them together even though I know they are just friends.

“Jealous?” asked Jina while the other three were watching something on Sehun’s phone.

“Obvious?” I replied with a question.

“Kinda” she said, “does it feel so bad?”

“To know that it should be me with him right now, yeah” I used the chopsticks to play with the food in my plate.

“At least you don’t have to live with this feeling every second of every day since early morning till after school” she said before stuffing with a spoon full of rice.

I stopped chewing the very little amount of food that was in my mouth, “what are you saying?”

“You know what I’m saying Haeri” she made sure the three were still busy with the phone before she looked at me and continued, “I’m saying it is purely your choice to sit here with us and watch him sitting there with her. Yixing has to watch you spend every day with Jongin and ignore him instead. He holds it in and accepts it just because he loves you that much. You can’t even handle him having one lunch with Sora but you do expect that he has to be okay with everything you do.”

I paused for a minute thinking about her words. I looked toward Yixing, he was looking at me, it seemed like he was staring and I startled him when I caught him watching me, he immediately smiled sweetly and made a gesture telling me to eat well.

I cracked a half smile to him and nodded before I stuffed my mouth with food. Just thinking about Jina’s words made it harder to smile, because I felt so guilty and so bad. To think that I’m not being a good partner to someone that deserves the best things in the world hurts me.

“Guys lets go outside” Eunha suggested suddenly and Sehun and Jongin immediately stood up to go.

“You go first we’ll follow you when we finish our lunch” Jina responded before me and so they did as she told them to.

“It’s good that we’re left alone” she said, “There’s something I’m very curious about.”

“Eh? What is it?” I asked.

“Why don’t you just tell everyone about your relationship with Yixing?”

“I don’t know I didn’t find the right opportunity.”

“The with this bull Haeri what opportunity are you talking about? What’s the big deal if you are with him? You’re a girl dating a guy what’s the huge news that makes you so worried about telling it to others?” her tone was angry.

“But because Jongi-“

“Stop it Haeri!” she snapped and startled me; “do you even hear yourself? You’re being so ing stupid I can’t even hold it in anymore.”

“Okay but why are you yelling at me?” I asked her confused.

“Because you let Jongin control you just like that! You’re leaving the person that loves you so much and that you love, hanging there for someone who is supposed to be just your friend! Why are you even scared of telling him?!” she tried to calm herself with a deep breath “I just don’t understand why you’re making it a big deal and why you should be scared of what Jongin has to say about your relationship with Yixing.”

“I’m not afraid!” I defended, “he’s going through hard times that’s it.”

“What does his hard times have to do with you being with Yixing huh?” She gave me a look saying I'm-done-with-you.

“Nothing but he dislikes him so I thought this is not the right time to-“

“Okay you know what? Whatever. Go ahead and put Jongin first but don’t come crying later when you lose Yixing” she said and my heart sank at the thought of losing him.

“What makes you talk like I’m gonna lose him” I frowned at her words.

“Because he’s not gonna stay aside forever watching you with Jongin. There’ll come a time when he’s gonna realize he deserves better” she rolled her eyes “oh and by the way, I don’t know if you’re acting stupid or you really are stupid Haeri but Jongin obviously has more than just friends feelings for you.”

“What are you even saying this is impossible we're just childhood friends” I looked at her in disbelief.

“Yeah whatever… I know I’m being harsh but you’re being stupid, and as your friend I had to have this talk with you, now that I told you what had to be said it’s all up to you” she said as she stood up and fixed her skirt “I’m going to catch up with the rest” she said before she turned around and left leaving me sitting alone.

There were around 10 more minutes of the break when I was still sitting alone thinking about Jina’s words, they were harsh but they were honest.

She was right I am stupid.

 Why am I scared of Jongin?

Does he really have feelings toward me? Or am I scared because somewhere deep inside I did notice his feelings for me but still tried so hard to ignore and deny them…?

If that’s really the case then I must be the worst and most coward person who’s not good enough to be with.

“Baby” I felt Yixing’s warm hand on mine shaking me gently.

“Y-yes?” I asked him as I realized the cafeteria was almost empty and Yixing was looking at me worriedly.

“Are you okay? The break is over” he took a seat facing me, “I sent you a text message in case you wanted me to stay away but you didn’t notice so I came” he said.

In case I wanted him to stay away? He’s my boyfriend he should come whenever he wants.

“Haeri why do you look shocked or something I’m seriously getting worried are you okay?” he leaned closer and held my chin softly to meet my eyes that started to well tears in the corners.

“I- Yixing I’m-“

“Haeri!” Jongin’s loud voice echoed in the empty cafeteria interrupting me.

We both looked at him who was approaching us with quick steps.

“Class is starting you’re late” he said holding my wrist and dragging me harshly leaving Yixing behind.

“Hey I was speaking to Yixing” I tried to lose his grip around my wrist but he held it tight “let go of me Jongin!” I half yelled but he ignored me until we reached and stopped in front of the class.

“Go in” he said dragging me inside but in a softer way so no one thinks we’re fighting.

Just few seconds after Yixing came in too, his face was turning red and his fists were tightly clenched. He glared at Jongin before he took a seat.

“I said let go of my hand!” I whispered but in a yelling tone as I sat in my place and stared outside because I didn’t feel like looking at him.

He ignored my words anyway.

 

When the bell finally rang indicating that we can leave, I threw my stuff inside my bag and ran to catch up with Yixing who hurried outside to get a phone call because as I saw someone was calling him.

I didn’t wait for anyone of my friends because I didn’t want to. I just wanted to catch Yixing.

But as I was running fast I felt I suddenly a hand catching my wrist forcefully and I knew who it belonged to. I was in no time alone with Jongin near the bathrooms were the halls were empty.

“What the hell Jongin let go of me!” I yelled with so much anger because I was getting sick of him dragging me around as he liked.

“Are you running to meet him?” he asked trying to stay calm but I saw anger in his eyes.

“Yes” I said pushing him away “so just let me go.”

I my heel preparing to leave when he held me back again and pinned me to the wall harshly I winced in pain.

“Haeri you can’t do this you can’t leave for him” he started talking quickly.

“Yes I can Jongin” I breathed in not to lose my patience.

“No you don’t understand you’re all I have” he leaned his forehead against mine and closed his eyes in pain.

I hated to see him like that, I hated that he had to feel like that about me. And I hated the most that the one leaning in so close is not Yixing.

“Jongin…” I called his name softly.

He opened his eyes that were threatening to release tears any time soon and he looked at me, “you’re all I have Haeri” he said in a broken voice before he shocked me with a kiss he planted on my lips.

I heard a loud gasp and few clicks and flash noises by a camera followed but fast footsteps.

“!” I cursed before running after the source to see who just took photos of me with Jongin.

I ran as fast as I could but I didn’t catch anyone there.

By the time I reached the school gates it was almost empty outside, everyone seemed to have already left. As I took the last glance to my left I saw Yixing’s figure going farther and farther, not to our usual direction and definitely not alone.

He was once again leaving with Sora.

 

What the .

I reached for my phone quickly and it already had 6 missed calls, I checked them and they were all from Yixing.

He called me when I was still inside with Jongin but I didn’t notice because it was in my bag not in my pocket.

Stupid luck!

I ran fast to catch my bus as I was trying to call Yixing but it kept saying his phone is off. By the time I reached my station the bus had already left.

I couldn’t believe how unlucky I was…

I sat on the waiting bench waiting for the next bus to arrive and just when I thought my day couldn’t get any worse it started raining wildly.

Great that’s all I needed…

I tried calling Yixing again but it said his phone was off service. I felt like crying. I didn’t know where Yixing went and I didn’t know who took a photo of me and Jongin, and I didn’t understand why they would do that in the first place. No one knew I was with Yixing they had nothing to blackmail me for…

And where the hell did Yixing go with Sora!!! He called he had something to say but I missed it.

All those thoughts in addition to everything Jina said earlier and to Jongin confessing to me was driving me crazy.

Tears started streaming down my face involuntarily, at that exact moment all I wanted was Yixing to wrap his arms around my body and tell me that everything is okay.

 

It was already 11:49 pm when I tried calling Yixing for the 1000th time but it still said his phone was ing off.

All the rooms of his house were still dark. I went earlier there and waited for hours but he didn’t show up. I cried waiting there not because he went to a place I don’t know, but because I just missed him.

I saw him all day long but still I missed him and I wanted him so bad to be with me but I had no idea where he was instead and I couldn’t reach him.

I lied on bed after taking a warm shower placing the phone on the pillow next my head. I kept watching it closely waiting for a vibration that never came.

 

 

I exerted some effort to open my eyelids that were heavily closed. I saw everything blurred, I glanced over to the clock beside my bed and I barely saw it said 9:34 am.

I tried to jump out of a bed as a curse escaped my mouth when I realized how late I was for school but fell right back down on bed. My throat felt so sore and when I touched my forehead it felt hot.

all the rain and cold got me so sick.

I reached for my phone that was lost between the sheets, I found 6 text messages and 4 missed calls.

I sat straight on bed to check them one by one.

I checked the missed calls first they were all from Yixing. One at 6:30 am, one at 6:51 am, one at 7:16 am, and the last one at 7:57 am.

I rubbed my forehead before moving to check the messages.

From: Baby <3

(12:15 am) Haeri-ya, I miss you so much

(12:17 am)  I called you earlier but you didn’t reply… I’m sorry my phone died soon after

(12:20 am) I love you so much baby

(7:00 am) Haeri where are you I’m worried…? Please reply to my calls and messages…

From: Jina

(7:50 am) Haeri-ya where are you? Everything’s okay?

From: Sehun

(7:55 am) Yah why didn’t you come are you okay?

 

I left my phone on bed and walked slowly to my bathroom; I washed my face and brushed my teeth before I walked back weakly to my bed. I tucked myself in and folded two blankets around my body.

To: Jina

I’m sick, I’ll be fine. Tell Sehun not to worry too.

 

Yixing’s POV

I was getting so worried about Haeri because she didn’t reply to any of my messages and she didn’t answer any of my calls either. She didn’t show up in the morning and I thought maybe for some reason she decided to take the earlier bus but I came here and she’s not here either.

I miss her so bad.

Last time I saw her was before I left class yesterday and last time I spoke to her was at the cafeteria before that bastard came and took her.

I swear one day will come when I’ll beat the crap out of him.

What worries me is that after I got a call yesterday right when school ended, I wanted to talk to Haeri to tell her I had somewhere to go to but she wouldn’t answer my calls.

I don’t know when she managed to leave because I made sure to wait for her outside until there was no one left there.

I still waited until eventually Sora came and she said Haeri already left with Jongin…

It honestly drives me crazy how she left with him but I decided to let it slide. I don’t want to risk losing her.

 

“Oppa” I heard Sora’s voice behind my back as I was walking to the cafeteria with Jongdae, “may I join for lunch?” she asked shyly.

“Uh I’m not hungry, you go eat with Jongdae” I said and left without waiting for her reply.

I am thankful that she helped me reach the place where I had to go twice before because it happened to be near the place where she lives, but I still didn’t want her around me all the time.

I just want Haeri.

I made my way to the rooftop for some fresh air when Jongdae soon followed me apparently leaving Sora alone.

“Dude are you alright?” he asked patting my shoulder twice.

“Yeah I’m just a bit tired” I said.

“You can tell me if you want” he offered and it’s nice of him. He’s the one I got the closest to in this school.

“It’s just…” I didn’t know whether to talk or not, “I didn’t sleep well I had to work till a late hour” I decided to stop there.

“Ohh I see, part time job” he said and I nodded. “I think Sora likes you” he said smiling happily as if it’s a good thing.

“Huh?” I laughed lightly “nah why would you think that” I waved my hand dismissingly.

“Because it’s obvious!” he laughed.

“Yah forget it” I punched his arm jokingly before we sat there silently enjoying the calm atmosphere and the peaceful view.

Damn those kids in the cafeteria give me headaches.

I walked few steps away from Jongdae and dialed Haeri’s number hoping she would reply this time.

It kept ringing endlessly, I waited and waited till the call almost disconnected by itself.

“Hello” my heart skipped a beat when she finally picked up and I realized how much I missed her when I heard her soft voice.

“Haeri!” I exclaimed a bit loudly “Haeri where are you?? Why didn’t you pick up before? Do you know how worried you got me oh God are you okay?” my questions kept flowing endlessly I must have gave her a headache.

“I overslept” she replied weakly.

“Baby are you okay? Your voice is not good are you sick?” I asked quickly.

She cleared before she spoke, I don’t know if she was crying or what.

“Just a bit sick, I’ll be alright” she said and her very soft voice was making me calm.

“Haeri-ya… I’m coming right now baby” I said but she refused right away.

“Just wait till school is over, we can meet then” she said, “I’m sleepy now anyway so I think it’s better if I see you after school.”

I know she wasn’t going to sleep, she just lied so I won’t skip classes but I didn’t argue because she already seemed so tired.

“Okay but rest well and take care of yourself baby I love you so much” I said.

“Hmm, I love you too” she replied before she hang up.

Something didn’t feel right, she didn’t seem fine at all and I was really worried.

-------------------------------------

So i hope things are getting just a tiny bit more clear hehe.

Leave comments please t^t talk to me y'all i need to hear your thoughts t^t