A Friend's Advice

I Have Twice a Problem

 

With all this going out between Boyfriend and their fiances, one might not think about the twins still going to school. But they still were, and they still hung around Hana and Sowon and everybody else. Hankyung and Siwon, especially Hankyung, felt safe now that both the twins had other girls to attend to. But they didn't know about what happened between Young Min and Min Hee. Only Hana knows that. How?

 

It went like this...

 

One morning, Kwang Min and Young Min came to class a little tardy and with bloodshot eyes and puffy eye bags. It was Science class and it was Young Min seated beside Hana. Kwang Min was somewhere in the back. As soon as Young Min sat down, Hana began talking.

 

"You look terrible! What happened?"

 

Young Min sighed tiredly. "You're like Jeong Min hyung. He cross-examined me the moment I awoke."

 

"Mianhae~" Hana moaned. "But do tell me what happened."

 

"It was nothing," said Young Min, expertly avoiding eye-contact by getting his book and things from his bag. "Kwang MIn and I went to have fun in the city last night. We came back a little late. Don't worry, nothing bad happened."

 

Hana was looking at him the entire time. When he straightened up, he met her gaze and he instantly grew uncomfortable. Hana smirked at him.

 

"I can always spot a lie, Young Min-ah, so don't try that on me," she said. Then she saw the teacher's gaze was on her, so she flipped through her book, then she muttered, "I'll talk to you about this later." Aloud, she said, "Ma'am, that phase is the prophase I of Meiosis, which..." Blah, blah, blah.

 

Later at lunch, when Young Min didn't see Hana anywhere, he thought to escape. He peeked into every corridor first before walking through it. No Hana.

 

At last he reached the school's garden, way behind the 2nd building. He hid inside one of the greenhouses and sighed in relief.

 

'I thought Hana was gonna get me,' he thought. Then Min Hee came into his mind. As always.

 

He whipped out his phone and sent her a message, but she didn't reply, so he called her. After many rings, someone at the other line with a reluctant voice answered.

 

"Yoboseyo?"

 

"Min Hee-yah! Thank goodness you picked up. I nearly thought you wouldn't," said Young Min, happy and relieved. It's been a while since they talked, after that incident.

 

"What did you call for?" Min Hee said in a cold tone.

 

Young Min's spirits dropped. "I-I wanted to say I'm sorry.'Promise' is a huge word. But won't you give me a chance? I wish you would try," he pleaded.

 

"I love Donghae. I can't love you back. Mianhae," she said.

 

Her words stung. He felt his heart being squeezed tighter. It hurt more than the day Hyun Seong got really mad at him and wrestled him to the ground.

 

"You-You..."

 

"Mianhae, Young Min-ah. Annyeong." The line went dead.

 

The word for hello also means goodbye. It hurts more when it was used for a goodbye. Young Min felt stabbed. He felt cheated. First Sowon, now Min Hee.

 

"I don't want to love again!" He yelled. He didn't know that someone heard him. The figure slowly moved back from the greenhouse and back into the school.

 

"I knew it was a lie," Hana muttered. "Of course!"

 

When Young Min came back, Hana acted as if she'd been looking for him for hours.

 

"Young Min-ah! There you are! I've been looking for you. You owe me the truth," she said.

 

"Not now, jebal, Hana-yah," sighed Young Min. "And why do I owe you the turth?"

 

Hana shrugged, sighed, pouted, and leaned on the wall. She looked like she was thinking real deep.

 

"Let me guess," she began. "Min Hee likes someone back from her home and can't let him go. At first you thought you would be able to keep friends with her, but after a while, change takes over. When you tell her how you feel, she rejects you. You spent last night awake crying or something. Kwang Min tried to help you. And in result to that, you both were late and have bloodshot eyes and puffy eye bags. Am I right?"

 

Young Min's eyeballs were popping out of his skull. He stared at Hana as if she'd grown horns or something. Hana only smiled knowingly at him.

 

"So, am I right?"

 

"H-How... How did you... Ige bwoyah?"

 

"I'm a people person," she said. Then she put an arm around the poor guy. "I want to help you, Young Min-ah."

 

Young Min took a few seconds' breather before talking again. "Got that right, Miss Know-It-All. How you did I don't know. But I sure need help."

 

"A friend stays through thick and thin. Lovers come and go. Stick with her, support her, and be her friend. Then let time and destiny do the job. If it's meant to happen, it will."

 

The bell rang throughout the school. But Hana's words lingered longer in Young Min's head than the deafening sound.