Things Take a Turn... For Better or Worse?

I Have Twice a Problem

 

Narrator’s POV:

So their lives seemed to be back on track, or so are they?

 

As usual, the twins went to school, hung around Hana, Sowon, and the rest, and went home afterward. Young Min always went with Min Hee after school to hang out, and so did Kwang Min with CJ. At certain times Dong Hyun would pick the twins up for a band practice, and they won’t be seeing Min Hee and CJ for that day. Plus, Dong Hyun always called them if they had a meeting.

 

But one day, both Young Min and Kwang Min had gone when Dong Hyun strolled by the school. He hung by the school gates where he could see everyone go out and everyone could see him in return. When he spotted Hana, he called out to her.

 

“Yah! Hana-yah!”

 

She turned to the direction of the voice and saw Dong Hyun.

 

“Dong Hyun oppa! What are you doing here? The twins have gone an hour ago.”

 

“I’m not here for them today,” he said.

 

“Who are you here for? May I help you find them?”

 

“I’ve already found ‘them’.”

 

Hana’s eyes rounded. ‘Aw, kyopta,’ thought Dong Hyun to himself.

 

“Me, oppa? Waeyo?”

 

“I just felt like hanging out with you today. I haven’t seen much of you lately,” explained Dong Hyun.

 

“Nor did you see much of Sowon or the boys.”

 

Dong Hyun pretended he didn’t hear her. “Would you join me for a cup of coffee?”

 

Hana thought the day over. She didn’t remember any homework due tomorrow.

 

“Arasso, oppa.”

 

Dong Hyun lead her to where he parked the car and opened the car door for her. Hana thought it was strange for a moment, but then accepted the reason that he was just being the gentleman he was known for.

 

They drove to a Bi Cheui Café. Dong Hyung treated Hana to coffee and a light snack. When they were comfortably seated, Hana took the opportunity to ask why he asked her here.

 

“Dong Hyun oppa, why did you ask me to hang out with you all of a sudden?” She was careful not to use the phrase ‘ask me out’ because he might take it wrongly.

 

“I said it already: I haven’t seen much of you lately. And I want to get to know my friends’ friends.”

 

“Jinjja?” Hana looked him in the eye, but he betrayed no lie. Hana shrugged.

 

Dong Hyun nodded. He allowed a brief pause before starting another conversation. They both took sips of their coffee.

 

“I’ve heard you give pretty good advice on relationships. Care to give me one?” Dong Hyun asked coolly.

 

“Hm? Where’d you learn that?”

 

“From a friend.”

 

When Hana only looked at him skeptically, he laughed and said, “Alright, you gave Young Min that cool advice on befriending Min Hee again.”

 

“He told you that?”

 

“He had no choice. We pressed him. You should’ve seen it. He was so quiet during practice then after an hour in their room, he came out all sunshine-y! It drove us crazy until he told us why!”

 

Hana laughed. ‘Such adorable laugh,’ Dong Hyun thought.

 

“Oh, I wish I’d seen that!”

 

“So he told us why he was all happy and everything, and when Hyun Seong asked who gave him the idea, he told us you did.”

 

“Aish, that boy!” said Hana while chuckling.

 

“So when I heard that advice, I thought it was so professional that I wanted to ask more from the person who gave it.”

 

“I’m not professional, oppa. I only have this play of words that make my sentences come out impressive.”

 

“You don’t know the power of your words, do you?”

 

“I guess I don’t.”

 

Dong Hyun paused again to sip on his coffee. Hana took a bite from her pastry.

 

“So about this advice,” Hana said, “tell me your situation.”

 

“And you tell me you’re not professional!” Dong Hyun said and laughed.

 

“I’m not!”

 

“What’s with the tone, then?”

 

“Aish! Do you want my help or not?”

 

“Alright, alright, sheesh. Can’t a guy kid around?”

 

“So, what is it?”

 

“You’re so eager, aren’t you?” When Hana narrowed her eyes, he decided to get on with it. “Well, there’s this girl, and I haven’t known her for long yet. But she impresses me and I’d very much like to own her someday.”

 

“You mean… you want her as your girlfriend?”

 

Dong Hyun slowly nodded.

 

“Well, you said you haven’t known her long yet, so I suggest you get to know her more.”

 

“Another thing: she doesn’t know that I like her. And from what I heard, she likes another guy already, although the guy hasn’t shown any sign of liking her back.”

 

“Have you been stalking her?!”

 

“Anii. I ask the twins to tell me about her, since she goes to your school.”

 

“Ohh~! Jinjja? Who is it?!”

 

“Advice first, smart girl.”

 

Hana pouted. ‘Aigoo, so cute,’ Dong Hyun thought to himself again.

 

“Fine. I say you get her before anyone does. A guy like you isn’t hard to love back.”

 

It was Dong Hyun’s turn to be shocked. “Mwo? Jinjja?!”

 

“Neh! Why not?”

 

“Well, ok, but she likes this other guy. What if I end up like Young Min and Min Hee? You do know what’s wrong between them, right?”

 

“I do. Hm…” Hana put a finger on her lips unconsciously. It was a habit she does when she’s thinking.

 

While she was thinking, Dong Hyun stared at her, covering his actions by drinking coffee.

 

“It’s just like what I said;” Hana said again, “A guy like you isn’t hard to love. I bet the girl won’t find it hard to forget whoever she likes when you start to show how much you want her.”

 

Dong Hyun thought this over, nodding. ‘What a smart little girl.’ He seemed to have drifted off deep into his mind because the next thing he knew was Hana waving her hand in front of his face and leaning so close.

 

“Yah, oppa, gwenchana?”

 

“Eh? Uh, neh. That’s really good advice,” said Dong Hyun.

 

“Ok, sure, but who is this girl? Do I know her?”

 

‘Aish,’ Dong Hyun thought. ‘She wouldn’t let this pass.’

 

“Yah, I didn’t say you would get the name after you gave me the advice, right?”

 

Hana’s face was priceless. “But you said advice first!”

 

“Yeah, I didn’t say you would get the name after.”

 

“Yah! Oppa! That’s not fair! Tell me who she is!” Hana rose her voice.

 

“Sshh!! Lower down you voice! Here’s the thing: I promise you that you will find out. I won’t tell you directly; you’ll just know.”

 

“How’s that?”

 

“You’re so smart I bet you’ll figure it out after a few days.”

 

“You’re SO unfair! Chegamiwoyo!”

 

“Aww, don’t hate me, yeodongsaeng. I promised you that you will find out. If you don’t find out in the next few weeks, I’ll tell you straight on, arasso?”

 

Hana didn’t look satisfied.

 

“I’ll describe her to you. Only a few descriptions, mind you.”

 

“Anything.”

 

“She’s so much like a child: mischievous, playful, and cute. She’s smart too, just like you.”

 

“How about something that makes her different from another girl?”

 

Dong Hyun thought for a while, and then said, “She’s very observant.”

 

Hana pouted. Dong Hyun leaned across the table and pinched her cheeks lightly.

 

“What was that for?” She demanded.

 

“Nothing, really. I just found that pout cute.”

 

Hana raised an eyebrow at him. Before she could suspect anything, Dong Hyun rose from his seat.

 

“Kajah, I’ll take you home.”

 

Outside, the sun was setting midway. Stars started to show up in the dark night sky. Hana didn’t notice how time flew when they sat talking in the café. The Han River was a myriad of colors from the sun: yellow, orange, and pink and everything in between.

 

“Wow, it’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Hana said in awe.

 

Dong Hyun only nodded. ‘Just like you.’

 

He drove her home and went home.

 

“Hana-yah, let’s see if your advice works on you,” he said to himself aloud.