Operation: Destruction, Phase 3: Hyun Seong

I Have Twice a Problem

 

The boys couldn’t believe what they heard, yet they couldn’t process what exactly is going on.

 

“What the hell is going on with Dong Hyun hyung?” asked Jeong Min in a low tone.

 

“Who was he talking about?” asked Hyun Seong.

 

“I think it was me,” Minwoo said. “I said I hated Dong Hyun hyung for hurting Kwang Min hyung. That easy.”

 

“That’s not Dong Hyun hyung!” said Young Min.

 

“Agh, this is all too much! Let’s talk about it in the morning. My head hurts. The twins have school. Go on, let’s sleep,” said Hyun Seong as he clutched his head.

 

“But we won’t leave it like this, will we?” asked Kwang Min.

 

“Of course not. Here’s what we’ll do. We don’t tell whoever that guy is what we know. We’ll go along with him until we make a decent plan,” Jeong Min said. “They might do something horrible if we didn’t go with their plan.”

 

“Arasso.”

 

The boys went to their rooms. Jeong Min and Dong Hyun share in one room so Jeong Min assigned himself to watch over this dude who is now sleeping on his hyung’s place.

 

The next day, the maknae line was in school while Jeong Min and Hyun Seong agreed to stay at home to watch over “Dong Hyun”. They did this very subtly, but CAP noticed it anyway.

 

‘Aish, did they hear my phone call last night?’ thought CAP. ‘I have to get these two out of my trail!’

 

“Jeong Min-ah, I have an errand to run in the company today. Will you watch over the house?” he asked. CAP is an excellent liar. “Don’t leave it unguarded, ok?”

 

“Oh, sure, hyung. Be back soon!” said Jeong Min.

 

“Hyun Seong-ah, I might need to have the car washed. Do you mind? Or do you have a game today?” CAP said to Hyun Seong who was in the living room watching TV.

 

“I don’t have a game today. I’ll wash the car,” said Hyun Seong.

 

“Gomawo,” said CAP and left.

 

When they were sure that CAP was gone, Jeong Min sidled up to Hyun Seong.

 

“I’ll follow hyung,” he said. Hyun Seong nodded. “You stay here.”

 

“Sure. I mean, we just gave the car a wash last week,” said Hyun Seong and scoffed.

 

‘Oh crap, I forgot that!’ thought CAP. He stayed a bit under the window to see if they were gonna follow him, which they were.

 

He ran and hid behind a tree across the road and watched as Jeong Min came out of the house. He looked from right to left. When he didn’t see Dong Hyun, he walked towards the direction of Starship. CAP chuckled.

 

‘He actually believed that?’

 

CAP went the other way to find Han Mi, Hyun Seong’s girlfriend. Along the way, he called his men, specifically that guy they called ‘Niel’.

 

“Niel-ah, I need help accomplishing today’s agenda,” he said to his phone.

 

“What do you need?” said another voice from the other line.

 

“A photographer,” he said with a sneer.

 

Han Mi was coming out of the grocery store with two bags on her arms. She made her way back to their dorm on foot, since it’s not far away. Along the way, she passed by an alleyway. Unfortunately, that was where CAP was hiding and waiting for her.

 

“Han Mi-yah,’ he called out to her and stepped into the light.

 

“D-Dong Hyun oppa,” she said, being the shy girl she was. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I was just strolling around. It’s fancy meeting you here. Hey, let me help you with those,” he said as he reached for the bags.

 

“Anii, gwenchana. I’ve got it,” she said.

 

“It’s alright. I insist. Do you walk home from here?” he asked as he took the two bags into his arms. “I’ll accompany you.”

 

“Neh. And, thanks,” said Han Mi shyly.

 

They walked together to Dream’s dorm.

 

“CJ unnie!” Han Mi called. “Look who’s here!”

 

CJ came from inside and smiled. “Dong Hyun oppa. How are you today?”

 

“I’m fine, thanks,” he said.

 

“Did you help Han Mi with the groceries?” CJ asked as they let Dong Hyun in. Dong Hyun put the bags on the counter.

 

“I dind’t. I just passed by her and offered to carry the bags,” he explained.

 

“Ah, I see.”

 

Just so it would look appropriate, Dong Hyun asked, “Have you seen Min Ah today?”

 

“No, sorry. She dropped by here this morning but received a call to go to Starship.”

 

“Ohh. Well, I won’t be staying long. But I need a word with Han Mi alone. Could we talk outside?”

 

“Arasso. I trust you, oppa,” said CJ as she distributed the groceries to their proper places.

 

Han Mi went with Dong Hyun outside. The sun was directly above them in time for midmorning.

 

“Han Mi-yah, I want to warn you about Hyun Seong,” he said.

 

“Waeyo?” asked Han Mi, her thin brows knitting at the middle.

 

“Hyun Seong used to have a girlfriend before he knew about you and having a fiancé. He told you that, didn’t he?”

 

Han Mi nodded.

 

“What if I tell you that they’re still seeing each other?”

 

“That’s not possible! He said they were over a few years ago.”

 

“I… I didn’t want you to see this, but… I care for you and Hyun Seong has no right to keep secrets from his girlfriend.”

 

With that, he got his phone out and showed Han Mi a series of pictures, showing Hyun Seong and “used-to-be” girlfriend. It showed them acting all sweet with each other. The last one showed him kissing her forehead.

 

Han Mi’s eyes swam with tears. They took their tumble down her petite face and onto her dress.

 

“I saw them in his Me2Day account just the other day,” whispered Dong Hyun.

 

“No… This isn’t true…” sobbed Han Mi.

 

Dong Hyun let the little girl cry on his shoulder. Her small frame shivered and quaked under his arms.

 

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

 

They stood there like that for a considerable amount of time, until Han Mi couldn’t cry any more tears.

 

“I trusted him,” she sighed.

 

“I know you did. I trusted him too, but…”

 

Dong Hyun held Han Mi at arm’s length. He gently wiped her tears with his thumb.

 

“What are you going to do now?” he asked her.

 

“I don’t know,” she said softly. “But, Dong Hyun oppa, why are you doing this?”

 

“You’re like a little sister to me. I can’t let anyone hurt you. Whenever you need me, I’m here.”

 

“Thank you, oppa.” Han Mi hugged his waist, and Dong Hyun hugged her back and rested his chin on her head. After a while, they broke up.

 

“I need to go home now, yeodongsaeng,” said Dong Hyun. “If you ever need me, I’ll just be a phone call away.”

 

Han Mi managed a smile and went inside their dorm. Dong Hyun went off toward the direction of their house. On the way there, he stopped by a café. He got a cup of coffee and sat in a booth. A boy came in the shop and sat with him in the booth. He was in a dark hoodie and has a pair of earphones around his neck. A cap covered his eyes.

 

“Did you get everything I need?” CAP asked him.

 

The boy lifted his head a bit and revealed his face.

 

“Neh, hyung, and much more,” he replied as he showed CAP the pictures of him helping Han Mi with the grocery bags, him touching her hand as they argued on who will carry the bags, them talking closely at the top step of Dream’s dorm, them hugging, and him wiping her tears.

 

“I’ve mailed copies to the newspaper. They’ll print it with tomorrow’s paper.”

 

“Chalhanda, Ricky-ah. I’ll just take these and you can go home,” he said. He took the folder from Ricky and tucked it under his arm.

 

They parted ways and CAP went in the avenue where they lived. He sensed Jeong Min was following him, so he let the folder drop, as if accidentally. He knew he’ll never tell Hyun Seong. And CAP has never been wrong about how these boys will act.

 

Jeong Min meanwhile got confused when he got to Starship and didn’t find Dong Hyun there. He panicked and ran right out. Just in time, he saw Dong Hyun and Han Mi get out of Dream’s dorm. He saw the whole drama scene. And he also noticed that midget of a photographer talking pictures of the event from behind a tree.

 

“It’s all fake!” he told himself. “Now he’s targeting Hyun Seong! I must tell him!”

 

He followed Dong Hyun into the coffee shop and saw him and the photographer talking. But he couldn’t hear them. The photographer handed him a folder and they went off to separate places.

 

Jeong Min shadowed Dong Hyun. When he dropped the folder, Jeong Min waited until he was out of sight before picking it up. Inside he saw all the pictures. Jeong Min’s eyes rounded. He ran home, but before getting inside the dorm, he stopped and thought.

 

‘If Hyun Seong finds out about this, he’ll never be calm enough to think of a plan! I’ll keep it from him for now.’

 

Then he went in.

 

The twins and Minwoo have arrived from school recently, since their still in their uniforms while doing homework. Hyun Seong was eyeing Dong Hyun secretly. Dong Hyun was behaving like he lost something. Jeong Min hid the folder in his coat and behaved normally.

 

“Minwoo-yah, Kwang Min-ah, Young Min-ah, why are you guys still in uniform?” he asked.

 

“I’ve got a really interesting homework. I’ll just change when I finish it,” answered Minwoo without looking up.

 

“We’re too lazy,” said Kwang Min. Young Min nodded.

 

“Oh. Ok.”

 

Jeong Min sat down beside Hyun Seong on the couch. When Dong Hyun had gone into their room, Hyun Seong whispered to him.

 

“Discovered anything?”

 

Jeong Min only shook his head. He can’t tell Hyun Seong about what he’d seen.

 

“Jinjjayo? That’s a shame,” said Hyun Seong as he refocused on the TV. Jeong Min felt really uncomfortable about all this.

 

“Jeong Min hyung? Are you gonna cook dinner or what?” Minwoo said.

 

“What? Oh, right! What do you guys want?” Jeong Min said. He stood from the couch, careful not to drop the envelope.

 

“Anything’s fine,” Young Min mumbled.

 

“Arasso.”

 

Things went normally until morning. The newspaper boy tossed a copy of the newspaper at Boyfriend’s dorm’s front step. Minwoo caught it as he took out the garbage. His eyes rounded and was like,

 

“Oh. My. Gawd.”

 

He ran inside the dorm and ran into Hyun Seong.

 

“Hu-Hyung…” Minwoo stammered as he he hid the paper behind his back.

 

“What’s that, Minwoo-yah?” Hyun Seong asked.

 

“Nothing,” he said. The lie was as plain as day.

 

“C’mon, hand it over,” said Hyun Seong. The proper elder brother he is, he didn’t grab the paper from the younger. But someone from behind Minwoo grabbed the paper. Minwoo gasped and turned. Jeong Min was reading the paper with wide eyes.

 

“Yah, Jeong Min hyung, what is that?” Hyun Seong said as he grabbed the paper. Jeong Min was already and elder and he don’t care much about that fact.

 

“Hyun Seong-ah, andwae! Stop!” Jeong Min yelled. But, due to Hyun Seong’s basketball player height, he kept the paper from the two other’s reach as he read it.

 

His eyes widened as he read and slowly lowered the paper.

 

“Hyun Seong-ah?” Jeong Min said carefully.

 

Hyun Seong looked up at them both. His eyes were dark with anger. His arms grew tensed as he crumpled the paper.

 

“What is this?” he asked quietly. His voice was threatening to lose control, but he kept it buckled down.

 

“It… It happened yesterday. But it’s fake! He showed Han Mi pictures you and your old girlfriend took a few years back. He told her that those were recent pictures! He’s trying to make you jealous!” Jeong min hastily explained.

 

But all Hyun Seong heard was “It… It happened yesterday.” He ran out of the dorm with Jeong Min and Minwoo at his heels.

 

“Kim Dong Hyun. Kim Dong Hyun, where are you? I hate you!” he mumbled to himself.

 

“Hyun Seong-ah!” Jeong Min called.

 

“Hyung!” Minwoo called.

 

When they reached the end of the street, Hyun Seong stopped and fell on his knees. Jeong Min and Minwoo panted up to him. Yet they were afraid to go too near. Hyun Seong is known for his anger and violent actions.

 

Hyun Seong turned his tear-stained face to the sky.

 

“I HATE YOU, KIM DONG HYUN!! YOU ARE A USELESS, PATHETIC BEING!!” he yelled with all the anger he has inside.

 

“Hyun Seong-ah…” Jeong Min said as he carefully approached Hyun Seong.

 

“You! You knew about this, didn’t you?!” Hyun Seong said suddenly, turning to Jeong Min and pushing him roughly. Jeong Min fell on Minwoo, causing them both to fall on the solid asphalt.

 

“I… I did, but…” Jeong Min muttered.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?!”

 

“I knew you would react like this and wouldn’t have a clear mind! This is isn’t Dong Hyun hyung but an impostor! We have to work against him TOGETHER!”

 

“Shut up! I just lost my girlfriend!” Hyun Seong yelled. “Why didn’t you prevent this? You said you were there, why didn’t you tell Han Mi?!”

 

Jeong Min didn’t have an answer for this and just lowered his head.

 

“AISH!! I hate both of you! All of you!” Hyun Seong yelled one last time and ran back in the direction of the house.

 

Jeong Min rolled off Minwoo.

 

“Minwoo-yah, gwenchana?” he asked the younger boy.

 

“N-Neh.”

 

Jeong Min hid his face under his arms. His shoulders started to quake. Minwoo put an arm around his hyung.

 

‘I hate Dong Hyun hyung. He can’t hurt my friends like this!’ thought Minwoo darkly.

 

Somewhere behind a tree near the two boys, CAP was sneering at them. Then he made a call.

 

“Operation: Destruction, Phase 3 completed."