Dinner Time Last Part: Hyun Seong's Test

I Have Twice a Problem

The only one who hasn't said anything was Hyun Seong. He was carefully thinking over the special memory, the only one he shared with Dong Hyun and Dong Hyun alone.

 

'Remember, Hyun Seong,' he told himself, 'remember the dark alley, the silent street...'

 

Hyun Seong's eyes flew open and he fixed them on CAP.

 

"Dong Hyun hyung," he said. CAP looked at him, amused. Hyun Seong hated him more than anyone else on the table. Why was he talking to him now?

 

Jeong Min knew that Hyun Seong's test had the biggest risk. He knew what CAP knew. But they needed this test.

 

"Hyun Seong-ah, you're talking to me again. What's up?" said CAP.

 

'Remember the dark alley...' Hyun Seong coaxed himself.

 

"I, too, have a story to tell. I want your opinion on it. Something for class," said Hyun Seong smoothly.

 

"Alright, what is it?"

 

"A little boy crouched down on the dark alleyway. The night has grown dark and starless. The streets have fallen silent. Yet the little boy sat and cried quietly."

 

Silence followed. Hyun Seong went on.

 

"A boy older than he passed by. He was a comeplete stranger. But instead of passing him by, he did a double-take and approached the boy. The little one shivered and cowed from the elder, but the elder assured him that he meant no harm. He offered to take the little one home, but the younger did not have a home. So the elder put the younger astride his back and took him to his own home. The younger felt safe as he fell asleep on the elder's back."

 

The twins, Minwoo, and Jeong Min finally understood that they were hearing Hyun Seong's past. Hyun Seong has never told anybody about his dark past. Only the real Kim Dong Hyun knows it.

 

CAP mistook it for simple English class composition. "What an author you are, Hyun Seong-ah. What do you need of it?"

 

'Mistake one,' thought Hyun Seong. "I need an ending," he said aloud.

 

"Hmm," said CAP, as if he's thinking. "I know. The elder took the boy home and he was adopted. But the elder died in an accident."

 

Hyun Seong nodded just like Minwoo did when he was considering the reason. "Good one, hyung. You've always loved tragic endings."

 

'Mistake two,' thought Hyun Seong silently.

 

"It's awesome," said CAP. "Anything else you need?"

 

"Don't you pity the little boy?" Hyun Seong asked.

 

"Not a bit. He was a stranger. Who knows who he works for?" CAP said noncholantly.

 

'Mistake three,' thought Hyun Seong.