Jealousy

Between The Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun and I were a bit late today and we rushed inside school in a hurry. “You’re alright, Hyomi? You should still not run so much.” he asked me gasping but I just nodded and sent him away. As soon he disappeared I bend down with my hands on my knees and tried to catch my breath. I was not okay, but for other reasons that made it harder for me to breathe.
“You know they already called you dead in school? I almost went crazy. I can’t imagine how your brother survived this. Or Chanyeol.”  Yuri was right, how did they? Because of the mysterious missing girls everyone was aware if one didn’t come to school only for a day. And now I was the one coming back like nothing had happened at all.

The last days home I always tried to erase everything that had happened. But it didn’t work. Not only for a second. The more I tried, the more I failed.
“It was just a kiss. If I felt anything trembling your heart, please erase it. Because for me, it was nothing. Erase that moment, because I already forgot about it.”
I moaned frustrated and leaned against the wall, still not feeling okay enough to enter the classroom.
 “Maybe it’s easy for you. Maybe it was nothing to you. Kris, I really try but why it’s so hard to let you go, huh?” I bit my lips and shook frustrated my head. With a huge relieving sigh I straightened my body. Erase! Reset!
I placed my hand on the door handle and breathed for once more.
"I’m Byun Hyomi, a totally normal school student. I’m going to open this door to my classroom now. In this classroom there’s my best friend Park Chanyeol waiting for me. Yes, he’s waiting because I’m late, like I’m always. It’s always like this. He will smile at me and the teacher will grumpily say something about punctuality. I will place myself next to Chanyeol and he will tease me for being late. I will laugh and the lesson will start. Like every normal day. Like it was always." I mumbled it like a mantra, like something I really need to believe in, before I will face this day.

I opened the door and all head turned toward me and the blood shot up to my head, they looked at me like I was an alien or foreigner. Like it is always!
“Oh Miss Byun, we’re happy to have you back. Still, you can be more punctual.” She’s always the same.
I already smiled in excitement and turned to my place when my smile died almost immediately. What the..
“Oh, right. We have a new student.” The teacher tried to explain quiet embarrassed. I looked back to her, looked to the seat with the strange girl, looked at Chanyeol with big surprised eyes, looked back to the teacher. I didn’t know what to say because I was that surprised. Chanyeol didn’t say anything either which made me wonder even more. Obeying the girl from head to toe she somehow looked familiar too me - but why?

The teacher raised her voice: “I really want to start the lesson now, Miss Byun. If you can’t take your seat, please feel free to take another one but don’t just stand there and stare into space.” The class giggled but I only gave her a blank stare, still frozen in my move.
Who is she? Why is she sitting there? Wouldn’t Chanyeol say that this place is taken? This is my precious seat!!
“Miss Byun.” The teacher said and brought me back of my train of thoughts. Under all eyes I went to the back where a free seat was between Mark and Jackson. They're always too much blabbering so the teacher had to sat them away from each other, still they always managed to kid around. With a huffy sigh I took out my books and Jackson bent toward me and whispered “Ya! I think your place is taken from Dara Nr. 2. Or should I say Hyomi Nr. 2? I’m confused. Mark…” He bent back to look at his friend and he looked up from his homework. “How we call her now? She looks like a second Sandara Park. But now that she took Hyomi’s seat, isn’t she also a second Hyomi?” Jackson scratched his head and rocked his chair backwards. I put my foot under the chair and lift it up and with a loud bang he landed on the ground.
“You fool.” I growled frustrated more to Chanyeol than Jackson because thanks to him, I know why she looks familiar.
No wonder he wanted to sit with her. Wait. Was it really because of that!? Chanyeol!

“Would she be the kind of woman you want to marry, Chanyeol? What kind of woman you really like?” I asked curiously, looking at his phone with the 2NE1 wallpaper and smiled. I made fun of him but when I looked at him, his face made a serious expression, looking around in my room. Finally, he smiled and nodded “If you want to know, look in the mirror or right in front. But I really love the mirror.” With no clue what he was talking about, I looked at his phone in front of my face and rolled my eyes annoyed. When I looked at the mirror, I saw his reflection smiling bright at me and I smirked back
“Sandara is a dream, fanboy. What’s left is your own mirror reflection. Poor boy.”
But he just smiled bright “That is….more than okay.” And I turned my head back to him, still laughing.
 

Back then I didn’t understand that when he had looked into the mirror - because of the strange angle - he had seen me, not him, like I had seen his reflection, not mine. I ruffled my hair. Why I now remembered that stupid thing? My eyes wandered to Chanyeol, two rows in front of me. He was all the time looking at me and now lip formed a “Sorry” and before I could react he already turned around again. The new girl had pinched his arm to ask him something and his attention was all hers. The pencil in my hand broke as I clenched my fist angrily.
“If you want to know, look in the mirror or right in front.” sounded now all of a sudden more like a warning to me.

After the lesson, I stood up and walked toward Chanyeol and I cleared my voice to sound more confident.
“Can I talk to you for a second?” I asked roughly and eyed him seriously. He nodded and gulped but without asking, he stood up and excused himself to the girl who was now looking up to me “I’m Delilah, by the way. I’m really happy to finally meet you. Chanyeol is speaking of you a lot.” She smiled friendly but I just rolled my eyes “What ever.”.

Outside, Chanyeol just gaped at me and I crossed my arms in front of my chest, my feet stamping the floor eagerly.
“Wow, Hyomi what was this?” he looked something between curious and almost amused how he looked at me with that smirk but I didn't see anything funny here. “What this was? You ask me what this was?” My voice sounded angry like I felt and I pointing back to the classroom and gulped hard to control my voice before it cracked up from anger. “Who the hell is she?” Instead of understanding me or answering my question, I just heard a short giggle from him which ended in a caught and he patted my head “What is this? Don’t say you’re jealous?”. I pushed his hand away “Pff. You wish. I just don’t know why you didn’t say anything? We always sit together.” Chanyeol looked confused and said quickly “It’s not that I didn’t want to say nothing. But I…you know.” He ruffled his hair and searched for the right words. “She is new, okay? I don’t see the problem with making friends with her so why don’t we just be nice. I mean...you weren't at school for the last days so...” he stopped while I had to repeat his words inside of my head before getting it actually.

I looked back to our classroom but I didn’t see her “She’s strange and I don’t like her.” I crossed my arms, more like hugging myself because those jealous feelings were new to me. It was strange. “Strange? Ah I don’t know, how can you say this if you don’t even know her. She’s really okay. Give her a chance.” My head swung around back to him and I hated him for saying that. I was angry the way he behaved and felt myself teased from his words the more he was speaking.
“Are you kidding? Who are you, because you're definitely not Chanyeol. You don't need to lie to me. You like her just because she looks like your idol, right!? That’s why it’s not a problem at all to push me away.” I was really sad but more than this I was just angry. He looked up in anger and I kinda shrugged back a bit from his expression.
“Excuse me? That’s not what you think. Why are you so angry? I was not pushing you away, Hyomi! You were the one that ran away from me!” My eyes grew big because of what he just said and he was shocked at his own words too "Mian...I didn't want..." I raised my hand to stop him but I felt the urge to hit him with this hand and quickly took it back.

“I correct myself. You are the one who’s strange, okay? What’s wrong with you?” I blinked quickly before tears rise up my eyes and looked in his wide eyes. I cut him off before he tried to explain because I was tired of explanations. “No. Well…just go to that person who just arrogantly took a taken seat. Have fun, I’m out.” I turned around and left Chanyeol alone. I gulped down the knot in my throat, jealousy made me want to caught up.
W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter