College Chronicles: Part 1

Grandma's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Not edited

Kim Chaeji

"I can't believe you're growing up so fast, Chaeji. Remember when I used to change your diapers?"

Lately Grandma has been feeling the Empty Bird Nest Syndrome ever since I've graduated from high school. I mean, it's not like I'm moving away from college at all. It's just that I'll pretty much be on campus from morning until dawn because my schedule is just crazy for my freshman year.

"Grandma, I won't be leaving you. I'll still be living with you here. It's not like my university is too far away," I reassured her as I sat on the same couch as her, "Plus my weekends are off so we can spend time during then."

She grabbed onto a pillow closest to the couch, and held it tightly, "I was the one that pushed you to go to college, but at the same time I'm worried for you, dear. What if you won't make any friends?" She looked at me worriedly to wait for a response. Lately she's been acting this way. I'm pretty sure the reality of going to college has hit her.

I let out a chuckle, "Making friends? That's the only thing you're worried about? Shouldn't you be more worried about how I eat? I hear that freshmen in college can gain so much weight!" I then thought about more things that would make guardians worried about their children, "What about older boys? Alcohol? Parties? STDs? Pregnancy? Any of that?"

She looked at me plainly. "Chaeji, I know you're not easily influenced so I'm not worried about that..." I looked at her suspiciously, "Well...maybe pregnancy. I'll have to speak with Taehyung before college starts."

Suddenly, my alarm sounded, "Looks like I have to go to school now."

"When's your first class?"

I looked at my schedule plastered onto my lock screen wallpaper, "It starts at 10AM. So far, I'm really liking college with different class times." I'm the kind of person that always has to have something right in front of me if I want to know something, which is why my schedule is my lock screen. As I continued to look at my screen, a message appeared from my parents.

She then pointed out the obvious, "Chaeji, you can't say that you like it until you've actually had a class, let alone your first day of college." She went towards the door, "Plus, who knows what your very first college class will be like?" She then turned the door knob as I read through their messages.

I followed along, "I got a message from mom and dad," I smiled then grabbed my backpack, "They're telling me good luck on my first day of school."

She smiled back, "It seems like their recovery is getting better."

"Well, it looks like I'm off to school." I waved.

"Drive safely, Chaeji." She held onto the door. "Will you be picking up Hanbin and Taehyung? I know you are all different majors, but at least keep that connection as friends there."

"I doubt there would be an issue of friendship between us, and we've spoken about this before." I placed the backpack onto one shoulder, "They both has classes that started earlier than me anyway, so they're already at school."

"Take care, Chaeji-ah, and don't forget about me when you're in school." She sounded nervous.

I walked up to her and hugged her tightly to reassure her nervous feeling, "I'll always be a grandma's girl."

 

 

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Why is it so hard to find parking here? I'm lucky I gave myself a buffer of 30 minutes, but it's already been 15 minutes. I still need to get onto campus to look for my class. I don't even know what building it's in.

Suddenly, I somehow get a call from Hanbin. Hanbin, of all times, why now?

I picked up the phone, "Hanbin, what do you want? I'm sort of busy at the moment."

"You're looking for parking, aren't you?" He asked.

I looked at my phone for a moment. How does he know? "Um. Yeah. I am...I really need to get to class soon so-"

"I can help you look for parking while you go to class." He chimed in, "And right now I'm just pretty bored. I've been waiting for Taehyung's lecture to end but this is the 3 hour lecture he signed up for."

Is this boy an angel? "Oh my goodness, Hanbin, please. Where are you right now?" I tried to look through my window and the passenger window. This particular parking lot was actually the farthest from campus since the rest of the parking lots were all full...before it even hit 10AM.

"Are you blind? I'm literally in front of your car."

I looked straight ahead and quickly grabbed onto my backpack to climb out of the car as quickly as possible, "Okay the keys are in there!"

"Gotcha. Now get to class you late ," he joked.

Unamusingly I replied, "Haha I'm not even late yet, but I'll just get to class now. Good luck with finding a parking space!"

 

 

I quickly ran from the parking lot to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter